No announcement yet.

The Superman Radio Show

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Superman Radio Show

I've recently finished listening to the radio show "The Adventures of Superman" for the second time. When I first started listening to the series, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I very quickly decided that this was one very engaging version of Superman. I found myself listening to several episodes a day during breaks at work, over lunch, or while relaxing at home. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't listened to the show before check it out.

A lot of firsts happened on the radio show that you might have expected would have happened in the comics first. The radio show featured the first appearance of Jimmy Olsen, the first appearance of Perry White, the first appearance of kryptonite, and the first team up between Batman and Superman. Since many of these things are major parts of the Superman mythology, I'd say that the radio show definitely helped shaped the character into the superhero we know today.

One of the things that surprised me when listening to the show was how frequently the writers tackled the problems of prejudice. They didn't just do it once. The topic kept coming up in episode after episode. Considering that the civil rights movement was far from its peak when this show was airing, I'd say that Superman's radio adventures were ahead of their time, another reason to enjoy the show.

One last thing I'd like to comment on is Bud Collyer's performance as Clark Kent/Superman. He did a superb job at switching the tone of his voice depending on which part of the dual role he was playing, and I find that this was especially beneficial for the medium of radio, where the listener couldn't see him changing into the costume. Overall, I think he was an amazing Superman.

So, has anybody else listened to the radio adventures of Superman? I'd love to hear some more thoughts on it.

I've never heard any of it. Where did you access it?

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎