No announcement yet.

Agents of Shield has turned a new leaf

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agents of Shield has turned a new leaf

In the past two weeks I've binge-watched the first 15 or 16 episodes of season 2. I was a big critic of this show in season 1, and I thought the first half of season 2 was nonsensical as well, with a lot of dumb lines like someone saying that Morocco is a middle eastern country, or Fitz saying "Corpse Diem, seize the dead", or Faro, Portugal being portrayed as a Mexican town. Agent Tripp was really poorly written.

With that said I think the second half is showing improvement. I like the show now. The improvements, imo:

1) Edward James Olmos. He's a good actor, and he brings an intensity to the show in his performance that Clark Gregg could never bring. It feels like they're doing something important in managing SHIELD, that it's not just a summer camp for adults.

2) Agent Tripp died. He was comprehensively uninteresting. Good riddance.

3) Skye's parents. They set up this ******** mystery in season 1, but they've redeemed themselves by bringing in good, serious actors for the roles.

4) Inhumans are more interesting than Hydra. I found Hydra very uninteresting in Cap 2, in AoS season 1, and in AoS season 2. This is an organization with no ideology, no rituals, and they somehow control everything. In AoS season 2 it was a bunch of losers sitting around a table.

Marvel has clearly modelled Hydra after "The Syndicate" from The X-Files, but it's a poor man's version of the Syndicate. I never had any trouble believing that the Syndicate was pulling all the strings, but when I see the losers of Hydra rule the world I just shake my head.

The same is not true of the Inhumans. First of all they don't rule the world. Second, their status and success is already decently explained in a coherent manner. They have that teleportation guy who can safeguard people and thus keep their location secret. They have that woman who lives for (hundreds?) of years which gives their organization continuity. They have a system of beliefs, you could call it a religion, which allows them to maintain a sense of community with one another, in addition to being linked by a shared biology and rituals. As a community, they work, they make sense. I also want to know more because they tie into deeper Marvel mythology, with the Kree and such.

The Inhumans should be given their own series, even if it has to wait until the Inhumans movie.

Comment

Ever since the focus on Inhumans began I think this show went from good to great, definitely agree with you on turning a new leaf. I liked the Hydra stuff but this Inhumans stuff is even more well done, like you said I like the sense if community the show has given the Inhumans (which for obvious reasons Hydra could not do), as well as seeing Skye's character develop.

I also like that not everyone is 100% on board with Coulson - the other SHIELD did make a couple valid points; also I like them as villains better than Hydra (the Hydra villains on this show at least) since they are not so black and white. All in all, really liking the show right now.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎