No announcement yet.

#1.8 "Shadows in the Glass"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1.8 "Shadows in the Glass"

Talk about the eighth episode of Marvel's Daredevil here!
    10 - Great
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Bad
    0%

That one was a little intense.

Didn't love it. Wilson's backstory felt a little... simple, although I did enjoy D'onofrio's line about not wanting to be a monster like his father.

The press conference scene was a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, it was neat that Kingpin got ahead of the story and basically staked a claim to the role of hero before anyone could paint him as the villain. That part worked. It's the surface-level aspect of it that left me scratching my head. What I mean by that is, who the heck is Wilson Fisk? Isn't that the reaction most people should have to that press conference? It's presented on television as if it's supposed to be some big deal, but at this point in the game, no one has any idea who this guy is. It's so random and odd, I think they could have thought about that one a little harder.

Largely, a forgettable entry. Moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
      That one was a little intense.

Didn't love it. Wilson's backstory felt a little... simple, although I did enjoy D'onofrio's line about not wanting to be a monster like his father.

The press conference scene was a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, it was neat that Kingpin got ahead of the story and basically staked a claim to the role of hero before anyone could paint him as the villain. That part worked. It's the surface-level aspect of it that left me scratching my head. What I mean by that is, who the heck is Wilson Fisk? Isn't that the reaction most people should have to that press conference? It's presented on television as if it's supposed to be some big deal, but at this point in the game, no one has any idea who this guy is. It's so random and odd, I think they could have thought about that one a little harder.

Largely, a forgettable entry. Moving on.
      Who is Wilson Fisk...that is the whole point. Disk was able to fabricate who he was and present himself as a philanthropist who was trying to 'save' Hell's Kitchen from thugs and other such unsafe elements. It essentially a Lex Luthor real estate scheme on a smaller, more subtle scale and consequently less annoying since it is not quite so black and white.

As far as the backstory stuff I can't help but compare to what they did in the 90s spiderman cartoon. It has been a while but I think the story was Wilson Fisk and his father were street thugs and during a robbery gone wrong Wilson gets caught and his father escapes. In prison Wilson resents his father and when he is released builds his criminal empire then eventually kills his father for abandoning him to the police after that initial robbery. Both stories had the same result a dead dad, and good in there own ways. 90s Fisk was more of self made man. He lost everything and then built himself back-up for nothing. The Netflix Kingpin was more sympathetic given his relationship to his mom and what he did to protect her, and how that ultimately pushed him over the edge, the edge Matt has been walking the entire series.

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
        Who is Wilson Fisk...that is the whole point. Fisk was able to fabricate who he was and present himself as a philanthropist who was trying to 'save' Hell's Kitchen from thugs and other such unsafe elements. It essentially a Lex Luthor real estate scheme on a smaller, more subtle scale and consequently less annoying since it is not quite so black and white.
        That's not really what I mean, though. To the general population within that universe, they don't know who he is. He proclaims that he intends on saving the city, but they don't even know that he's wealthy. This isn't Donald Trump deciding he's going to put all his fortunes into rebuilding Harlem. They don't even know that much about him.

It just comes completely out of nowhere. I didn't care for it.

As far as the backstory stuff I can't help but compare to what they did in the 90s spiderman cartoon. It has been a while but I think the story was Wilson Fisk and his father were street thugs and during a robbery gone wrong Wilson gets caught and his father escapes. In prison Wilson resents his father and when he is released builds his criminal empire then eventually kills his father for abandoning him to the police after that initial robbery. Both stories had the same result a dead dad, and good in there own ways. 90s Fisk was more of self made man. He lost everything and then built himself back-up for nothing. The Netflix Kingpin was more sympathetic given his relationship to his mom and what he did to protect her, and how that ultimately pushed him over the edge, the edge Matt has been walking the entire series.
        I mean, it's fine. It works. It was kind of creepy how the Mom chopped him up into little pieces. And that, for me, was probably the bigger takeaway. Wilson taking out his old man is something a person can probably come back from, but we're left with the impression that his mother is equally screwed up in the head. That's the real messed up stuff, there, for me.

I'm not really complaining about it. It just felt... I don't know... easy. An abusive father. That's his backstory. Great. Haven't seen that before. Ya know? I'd almost rather they just left it a mystery. Adult Wilson is more compelling anyway.

Comment

That's not really what I mean, though. To the general population within that universe, they don't know who he is. He proclaims that he intends on saving the city, but they don't even know that he's wealthy. This isn't Donald Trump deciding he's going to put all his fortunes into rebuilding Harlem. They don't even know that much about him.

It just comes completely out of nowhere. I didn't care for it.

I mean, it's fine. It works. It was kind of creepy how the Mom chopped him up into little pieces. And that, for me, was probably the bigger takeaway. Wilson taking out his old man is something a person can probably come back from, but we're left with the impression that his mother is equally screwed up in the head. That's the real messed up stuff, there, for me.

I'm not really complaining about it. It just felt... I don't know... easy. An abusive father. That's his backstory. Great. Haven't seen that before. Ya know? I'd almost rather they just left it a mystery. Adult Wilson is more compelling anyway.
          So? People who are philanthropist pop all the time, especially in the US one of the most charitable countries in the world. I don't know who these people are generally and have no interest in researching them because in general these things don't interest me, other then in passing way as generally gratified that someone is doing something nice for others. I get that you think the press conference was out of the blue,however it was necessary on Fisk part to guide the public view of him. What was he suppose to do it just let Ben Urich write his story and let people form there opinion on that? Or better yet let everyone find out about if and when Matt and Foggy take him to court? No Fisk sensed what was coming and took what he saw as best course of action to get what he wanted, control of Hell's Kitchen. Also it is not like he had tried other options before the press conference. He had paid people off, had Daredevil framed and attempted to have him killed multiple times, and blew up a good portion of Hell's Kitchen.

Murder is generally something you can't come back from, and that is a huge message for me in this series as Matt is very much struggling not to cross the line, and those who have are completely changed. I do feel slightly more sympathetic to the mom because she was the one being physically abused and she didn't kill him, technically. It does make you wonder if she had disposed of bodies before because her plan to deal with body while twisted was smart.
          Last edited by Degobunny; 04-16-2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I didn't take his mother as screwed up for immediately cutting up her husband. She loves her son and she's doing what's necessary to survive. She did take a couple moments to breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
              So? People who are philanthropist pop all the time, especially in the US one of the most charitable countries in the world. I don't know who these people are generally and have no interest in researching them because in general these things don't interest me, other then in passing way as generally gratified that someone is doing something nice for others.
              I've never seen a press conference in real life like the one in this episode. If you have, please tell me which one and I will research that press conference.

I get that you think the press conference was out of the blue,however it was necessary on Fisk part to guide the public view of him. What was he suppose to do it just let Ben Urich write his story and let people form there opinion on that? Or better yet let everyone find out about if and when Matt and Foggy take him to court? No Fisk sensed what was coming and took what he saw as best course of action to get what he wanted, control of Hell's Kitchen. Also it is not like he had tried other options before the press conference. He had paid people off, had Daredevil framed and attempted to have him killed multiple times, and blew up a good portion of Hell's Kitchen.
              I understand Fisk's motivations.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
                I didn't take his mother as screwed up for immediately cutting up her husband. She loves her son and she's doing what's necessary to survive. She did take a couple moments to breathe.
                You may be right. Personally, I didn't view that as a typical reaction, especially when you can just call the police with a perfectly justifiable self-defense situation. Plus, Wilson was a minor and couldn't be tried as an adult anyway.

Comment

You may be right. Personally, I didn't view that as a typical reaction, especially when you can just call the police with a perfectly justifiable self-defense situation. Plus, Wilson was a minor and couldn't be tried as an adult anyway.
                  If she calls the police then it brings shame upon the family.
                  She might have also just been uneducated, but I don't think that's it.

Comment

The press conference may have seemed to come out of nowhere but I actually really loved this episode. Vincent D'Onofrio is so good and so layered, and I liked that Matt, Karen, and Foggy had some scenes all together. I also liked that Matt had a good scene with Ben Urich in this one.

As for why the mother didn't report it... well, if someone else could easily take the fall for it anyway, why risk any nastiness from it? At the very least Wilson would have been sent to shrinks etc. which maybe he would have needed but hey, this was the easier answer.

Everyone in this show is really bad to property, though. Fisk's table, Matt's computer... just chill out, people.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎