Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
    Parallels life, when you think about it. We often idolize people growing up, only to find out that many of our heroes were just flawed people themselves.

Ehem. Anyway... I think that the implant idea was just something the writers felt was "science-y" enough that they could get away with it. Goodness knows that they take many liberties on a show about superheroes and super-villains.
    Indeed. It may be a type of advanced "science-y" cochlear implant that only exists in that flash universe, but I do wish that they at least put some thought into it so that it actually made sense for those who knew how real-life implants worked. but the way they wrote it I think they only did the implant thing so that they could have the "gross out factor", instead of presenting the character as being actually deaf.

But I did notice that CW writers very rarely put any thought into episodes or characters that had some sort of disorder or disability.
    Sometimes even writing the epodise so that it had an awful ablest message.

They did this several times on Smallville... like with Jodi, who had a horrible eating disorder that led her to become a fat-sucking vampire. Her eating disorder was only used as a plot device, and not handled very well.
    And then there was Lana's secret admirer who were severely abused at home and not allowed to go to school, just because he had an mutant power that pretty much turned him into a disabled boy. In fact some of it seemed to have a strong parallel to autism. and then once everyone found out that he was a mutant it was suddenly perfectly okay that his parents were severely beating him and locked him up in a dark basement. Because Mutants are not real people, they're just animals amrite? *rolls eyes*

And it's just not Smallville, I've noticed other CW shows not knowing how to handle people with disabilities or how the devices for disabilities work at all. So they come away with all sorts of awful messages about people with disabilities.

I love the shows, but man... I really hate the CW writers at times.

Comment

You make many solid points.

I think it also goes hand-in-hand with the "beautiful people only" thing they have going. You have to be beautiful, smart, with no handicap to speak of... or you're a villain. But I guess we are living in a post-"She's all That" world. When Rachel Leigh Cook passes for "the ugly girl", I've lost all concept of reality.

(although, to be fair, that's just Pygmalion, and Hollywood tried to sell us Audrey Hepburn was ugly way back in 1964)

Comment

Yeah. Did you ever take a glimpse at "The beauty and the beast" CW show that Kristen Kreuk (lana lang) was in? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193041/

When I first saw the man who were supposedly playing the "beast" I couldn't help but roll my eyes so hard. He was a very handsome, attractive man at least by Hollywood standards.... and they claimed that he was "disfigured" thanks to some scar. But, it was placed in such a way that it only made him look cool and rugged... and did not ruin his looks in any way at all. if anything it actually kind of improved his manly look?

Yet I'm supposed to believe that no woman expect Lana, I mean, Catherine would ever want to date him because he's just so deformed??

The 80's verison that this CW was a reboot of was WAY better... in that show the man actually looked like an beast:

*shakes head* That's CW for you, man.

Comment

^ Wait... the scar is it? I assumed he also mutated in that show or something. I've never seen it.

The scar doesn't even take out one of his eyes or disfigure his jaw or something like that. If anything, and you pointed this out first, it makes him look more rugged.

Comment

I only saw like two episodes, but when he mutates he just looks like a very handsome undead person. Pale skin and yellow eyes...as well as defined veins under the skin. the kind of person that anyone who had a thing for vampires or any other sexy undead person might go for.

Oh yeah, a real beast alright. :P

So I'm pretty much agreeing with you... they don't allow for ugliness in any of their shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Thailog
              A very good episode. The only thing I didn't like was how the villains keep getting locked up inside those tiny cells, without trial or attempted rehabilitation.

Case in point, the teleporting girl from this week's episode didn't really harm anyone. While she did commit theft and broke her boyfriend out of prison, she didn't seem of the "muhahah I'm so evil!" villain variety to me. I don't think this kind of punishment is appropriate for her.
              She was an accomplice to attempted murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                Not to mention, real cochlear implants don't look that way or work that way at all! Google cochlear implants and you will see what I mean. They actually don't go into your ear the same way hearing aids do... they're instead implanted into your skull and connected to the part of brain that processes sound. behind or above your ears... and it's wired in such a way that it's impossible for anybody to be able to rip it out.
                there's a picture of how it works: http://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/...hlear_implant/

So if Hartley was actually pulling out real cochlear implants, he'd be pulling out parts of his brain, breaking his skull, and so on forth.

So the CW writers definitely did not do their research when it comes to deafness and the devices people may use to get by in life. Instead they invented some kind of weird device that doesn't exist in real life just so to gross out viewers and make him seem kind of abnormal.

And as an deaf person, this really disappointed me. But it also stops my suspension of disbelief every time Hartley does something like that.... because I know how hearing devices work in real life!
                I was wondering about this. They show him pulling out a little nub with a long wire out of his ear. I keep thinking, that HAS to hurt! Where was this wire attached? But I think they do it like this because it looks cool or something. They will probably go with it being some type of custom job Hartley came up with himself.

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode.

It was nice to see Barry saving a couple of regular people from that car wreck. Like someone else said, was that the first time he waited around long enough to be thanked?

The whole plot of Barry and Caitlin deciding to stop wasting their time waiting around for Iris and Ronnie was pure entertainment. They both, particularly Barry, need to move on. And once again, I love when they go hang out in a bar. It's so different than Verdant on Arrow. Its like Flash has the fun drunks, Arrow has the angry sad drunks
                  Caitlin really nailed playing someone drunk. I even got a chuckle out of the part when they first arrived. She downed some drink, and Barry said something like , isn't that a little fast? And she had the perfect tipsy gleam in her eye when she made an expression at him Really enjoyed this whole thing, including the 'did you sneak a peak at my goods?"

Cisco and Hartley are also entertaining. Cisco reminds me of a saying a friend of mine has, "That's the dumbest smart guy I've ever seen" . Why he lets out this PP is not good judgement. Why he doesn't even bother to bring it up to Barry or Wells is another bad judgement call. It was funny when these two got in a fight outside, because neither of them apparently really know how to fight. It looked like a school yard tussle, which is about what i would expect from them both. Good job.

Hartley is really growing on me. He has a lot of potential.

Barry and his Dad were good scenes, along with Joe. Hope to see more of these. It appears that Dad knows Barry is the Flash.

Peek a Boo could be interesting. If she is a recurring character, I'd like to see more than the misguided by a bad boy villain we saw tonight.

Wells was suspiciously absent from a lot of the shenanigans tonight. And the way he handled Cisco aiding PP's escape was kind of mild to a previous episode where he got all over Cisco for something or another that could potentially harm Barry. Maybe he is distracted by home redecoration?

Grodd is going to be fun. Do we know if he is from a gorilla city here, or if he was created by the particle accellerator? And i'm afraid to know what he is going to do with those two maintenance guys he got hold of...

Oh, and a further development on the Firestorm front. It was very wierd, and not sure if I follow it. Are they going to now make Firestorm a split personality or something? Or can either of them manifest as necessary, in a different body?

Comment

I think it's safe to say that the Accelerator gave Grodd his IQ & powers. However, there are rumors that when he does "make an appearance" he'll be leading a group of similarly enhanced apes... ala Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Maybe we could see the beginning of Gorilla City?

Comment

I enjoyed most of this episode. Not as good as last week's, which was one of the best to date, but still fairly enjoyable.

I was proud of Barry when he vibrated the door open, and I generally like seeing these opening saves in an episode. I did laugh a bit when the dude called him by name because it felt exceptionally corny. The hesitation...the drama...hahaha.

Cisco is neither the brightest bulb in the pack nor the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'm not a big fan of this character, but the guilt over Ronnie's predicament seems to be the only depth to him, so I'm glad to see a bit more of it, I guess.

They changed Peek-a-Boo's powers. In the comics, her teleportations caused explosions, making her fairly dangerous. I could see that as potential justification for locking her in the metahuman prison. As is, her imprisonment seems particularly problematic, which leads me to my next point.

I'm in the camp that wishes to see this prison issue dealt with soon. This is a big issue to me, and one for which I'm not willing to suspend disbelief. I don't remember offhand if we've seen anyone feeding these prisoners, but there's no way Wells, Cisco, and Caitlin can adequately take care of all their needs, to say nothing of legal ramifications. I'd like to think there will be a future partnership between S.T.A.R. Labs and the police that develops a maximum security prison like Iron Heights from the comics, but until such time as this prison is officially sanctioned, I have a problem with it. I can't believe Peek-a-Boo didn't even seem to object.

The Flash vs. Peek-a-Boo fights were pretty good, especially that first one. I like that Barry seemed to lose the fight at first but was able to come back and nearly defeat her. The bullet thing was cool.

The show's handling of these villains' defeats needs work. To me, it seemed like a big leap in a short amount of time to go with the dark room theory as a means of capture, but it is par for the course. I also wasn't thrilled that Wells had to reiterate to Barry that he needed to get her to a dark place, as if he didn't already know that. Yes, Barry figured out how to do it, but it still grates on my nerves to have people telling him what to do all the time. More independence, please.

I get when shows have a big crime boss running things from jail, but I don't understand why said crime boss (not in prison) would keep his incarcerated gang members in the loop. I mean, if you're not going to spring your guy loose, what's he going to do from prison? Spill the beans, probably.

The Barry/Caitlin scenes were warm and funny. I enjoyed them and wanted to hear more of the song. It's funny: At the beginning of the show, I was resolute in wanting Cisco and Caitlin to turn into Vibe and Killer Frost. Now, I think, "Dang, if she becomes Killer Frost...dang."

That app Linda Park used was disturbing. She seemed pretty cool, though. That should be a great story to tell Wally someday.

I think the best part of the episode, though, was the Barry/Henry dynamic. Henry's reasoning for playing cop was quite sound, and that last scene was great.

Eddie's voice reminds me... ever so slightly... of Judge Reinhold.
                      You just blew my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                        I get when shows have a big crime boss running things from jail, but I don't understand why said crime boss (not in prison) would keep his incarcerated gang members in the loop. I mean, if you're not going to spring your guy loose, what's he going to do from prison? Spill the beans, probably.
                        Right?

That app Linda Park used was disturbing. She seemed pretty cool, though. That should be a great story to tell Wally someday.
                        Ha!

You just blew my mind.
                        RIGHT?!

Comment

That app Linda Park used is similar to Samsung Galaxy phones where you can share photos and contact info by touching the phones together but it only works if you have NFC turned on both phones.

So that app wouldn't have worked on any phone just phones with Near Field Communication built into the phone.
                          Last edited by Halberdier17; 02-07-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

^Interesting.

RIGHT?!
                            It's the way he says, "Hey, Barry." Now I know why I've been finding it amusing.

Side note: Eddie needs a big payoff soon. He's been terribly underused so far, and I feel a bit sorry for the actor.

Comment

I gave this episode a 9. I like the female villain wanting to help her boyfriend, but he isn't worth it. We get the Pied Piper helping Cisco before he managed to escape. I just hope that we'll see him again. It was a good episode. I hope to see more of season 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎