0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - The Awful Gotham Episode
    0%

Mixed bag. Loved how resourceful they made Penguin look. And how twisted they made Nygma look. The Gordon/Leslie scenes were a bore, imo.

Awesome to see Julian Sands on the show though.

Comment

I gave it a 7. It was definitely an improvement over the previous episode, but a minor one.

I really enjoyed the chemistry between Miss Mullen and Bullock. I wonder if we'll see her again? Was I the only one who found it incredibly stupid that – after jumping in the water to save Mullen – Bullock cut the rope off of her hands while she was still underwater? Shouldn't he have brought her up to the surface beforehand?! "Yes, I'll save you, just keep drowning a moment while I cut this rope because I'm not smart enough to get your head above water before I do it." I'm sure the rope added weight, but not enough to keep her underwater.

Of course, I also enjoyed everything with Fish Mooney. I really hope she doesn't bite the dust before the season is over. The character is just too good to get rid of. I'd take her over Barbara any day. I am curious as to who that man was supposed to be, though. One of Falcone's men (or someone else?) I suppose whether she lives or dies depends on whether Pinkett-Smith wants to continue or not (I remember her saying she had only committed to a year of work), but it'd be a shame to lose such a strong female character. I read part of an interview that Donal Logue gave and he said that what happens to Fish shocked him, so I wonder what they have planned for her? Personally, I'd like to see her fight her way back to the top and murder Falcone. In other words, accomplish what she set out to do, then battle it out with Penguin for the rest of the series.

The rest of the ep was just ok. If Selina did lie, then they should just drop that storyline, because I'd like to see more scenes with Bruce trying to piece together why his parents were murdered (or trying to understand the corruption in Wayne Enterprises).

Originally posted by costas22
      Awesome to see Julian Sands on the show though.
      Me too, although I didn't even recognize him until I saw his name in the credits. I enjoyed his performance in the first two Warlock films. A perfect casting, imo, as well as whoever they got to portray Jonathan Crane.

On another note, was this episode not meant to be a two-hour event? I could've sworn the trailer for last week said just that.
      Last edited by Aries83; 02-03-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83

Me too, although I didn't even recognize him until I saw his name in the credits. I enjoyed his performance in the first two Warlock films. A perfect casting, imo, as well as whoever they got to portray Jonathan Crane.

On another note, was this episode not meant to be a two-hour event? I could've sworn the trailer for last week said just that.
        Another reason why I loved seeing Sands is because it makes him one of the few to have played a role in a Batman project and in a Superman project.

If I remember correctly, I think they promoted it as the first episode of a two parter. Not as two episodes airing back to back.

Comment

This was more of a 'everyone wants to have lives outside of police work' episode, with Gordon, Bullock and even Nygma making progress on getting a life (and into a bona fide 'ship). Bullock using an investigation to ingratiate himself with the new woman is totally his style. Kudos, I guess, to Jim and Leslie for upping their game a bit. Umm ... bring on the Jeslie? Melodrama-lovin' Ollie and Barry over at The CW would be proud. (And any scene that includes Miss Kringle is a good scene for me. More Chelsea Spack, please. She's awesome. )

Somehow, Penguin still gets out of almost certain death. Maroni was the closest to offing him, but it looks like the long shadow of Falcone still makes the average citizen very nervous.

How they handled the fear-based subplot was alright. I think both Gordon and Bullock benefited from it the most on the "dating" front. I didn't even know the title of the ep. at the time, so I didn't expect it to be all about the future Scarecrow, but there were more than a few shout-outs.

The cliffhanger ending with Fish caught me off-guard, as did Bruce releasing Gordon from his promise/oath to find the Waynes' killer. I think it makes sense that Gordon isn't held to it, otherwise he'd be honour-bound to drop whatever he was doing -- even if it was interesting story-wise -- whenever some Wayne-related lead popped up. Imagine if he was held to this promise into S2, S3 ... Bruce would be like: "Dude, it's been three years. Remember your promise? Any progress?" and Gordon would be going: "I'm working on it, would ya give it a rest already? Great Scott, I'll keep my promise -- don't nag me! ) It could be irritating for them -- and for me as a viewer if they went that route.

I don't expect Gordon to ignore anything Crime Alley related (and most likely he won't, but he won't be as involved), but now this gives more for Bruce to do in terms of honing his investigative skills. His hobby of piecing together clues has become his mission.
          Last edited by President_Luthor; 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I loved this episode because of the Penguin scenes but..
            1. I'm pretty sure they would have checked security cameras and seen Edward Nigma put all those body parts in that guys locker..
            2. Yeaah no..Penguin should have died in that car because of the following
            -Why would Penguin even bother calling that Maronni guy just to repeat what he said to him? C'mon Penguin, you got seconds to live and you wasted it on that?
            - what do you know, the sign was in perfect sight for Penguin to call the number
            - What do you know the guy who works there was the one about to kill Penguin
            - Does that guy not realize Maronni was the one who told him to kill Penguin? If so why would he believe Penguin?
            - OH what do ya know, the car wasn't crushed to where Penguin couldn't get out. He got out like the car never got crushed
            - Marooni has a HENCHMEN there, he was the one who put the gun to Penguin's head to get in the car..and the next scene he is gone?
            - Why did Maronni even bother chasing the guy for running away for not killing Penguin? He knew Penguin was gonna break out any second
            - If Marooni's henchmen was still there one of them could have stayed to watch Penguin and the other could have chased that guy..

The scene with Fish chasing that pirate guy was facepalm worthy. Like really wtf was that?

That girl Harvey was interested in definitely should have drowned in that Pool and not been saved..wtf was that?

Sorry, but this episode had some serious BS moments..it's probably my favorite Gotham episode because of the Penguin scenes but some of the scenes were bs

Comment

The Penguin/Maroni scenes were my favorite parts of the episode. I'm missing my weekly fix of Erin Richards, though. I hope Barbara is back next week, even if it's only for one scene.

Comment

This episode actually wasn't that bad. As others have mentioned, Harvey cutting the rope before pulling the girl out of the water didn't make sense. It did, however, make for a cool-looking underwater scene, which is what I think the director was going for. If you ask me, the best thing about it was the introduction of another future Batman villain. Next week, it's looks like they'll explore the character a bit more. I'm looking forward to that and the further evolution of Bruce Wayne. As for the show itself, it has had its ups and downs. I'd love it if Season 1 was like a prequel and they skipped ahead maybe 8 years or so for Season 2. Bruce could just be beginning is run as the Caped Crusader. The chances of that happening are next to none, though.

As I was watching the episode, I couldn't help but feel like Gotham was trying to create something on the "shipping" front - at least where Gordon is concerned. I've no doubt the people who work on the show have heard of Olicity. This is just a theory, but it's possible they are trying to come up with something to rival that. It also seems very reminiscent of Arrow.

If you go by what's said online, people don't like Barbara (much like Laurel). So, the writers find a way to get rid of her for awhile. This, in turn, leads to the doctor lady (sorry, I don't know her name) being brought in as a surrogate love interest in hopes that vocal fans like and accept her. When you think about it, it's kinda pointless unless Barbara isn't the mother of Jim's future daughter. If she is, he'll always end up back with her. My point is that they appear to have pulled something out of thin air in an attempt to bolster viewers.

Comment

Not even enjoying the show anymore. Man, this show went off a cliff for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                    Not even enjoying the show anymore. Man, this show went off a cliff for me.
                    I'm much the same, it has turned into to much of a crime drama show and less of a Batman origin story. I think it was the moment they stopped giving Bruce any pivotal character development that it started to become a struggle to watch it.

Comment

I'd be okay with it being a crime drama if it was at least a good crime drama. Even when it (BRIEFLY) was my favorite new show, the crime drama aspects were the weakest part of the show. I was just very forgiving of it then because the rest of it was so good.

I hate to say it, but I just don't think the writing is very intelligent. They don't know how to write a proper police investigation. They don't know how to unravel involved conspiracies in such a way that feels like actual work was done by someone to unravel it. It's just always "this happens - then this happens - then this happens".
                      Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎