No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Midnight City?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quark

Don't like the fact that China White and Oliver knew each other from before we saw them in the present. I have never once gotten the vibe that they knew each other. It could be argued that China White has never seen Oliver's face and has only seen him as the Arrow but Oliver surely knows who she is but has never once referenced it. It's like the whole "I spent five years on an Island" all over again.
    When we first saw Oliver and China White fight in season 1, there was speculation that they knew each other, particularly because she spoke to Oliver in Chinese, and he responded. Look back at that thread, and you will see the speculation.

I loved this episode. i loved the fight in the mayor's office, where ray automatically came out fighting in defence of everyone. As did Laurel. they have an automatic response to take up the fight.
    bringing in Sara's voice was cruel and i did not like that. Laurel said she would tell her dad the truth when they caught Sara's killer. they know who the killer is, and now she needs to 'fess up.
    felicity was awesome - her strength of character was allowed to come out. Interesting that felecity is becoming the superhero/vigilante go-to person. Maybe she can make a career of supporting heroes (lol)?
    Could maseo be the person who supplied Oliver with all that equipment we saw in the pilot?

Comment

Originally posted by MRF
      Also, while he has huge cajones, they appear to be less brick than his head. Just saying. I also find it funny, that while Laurel has no qualms about kicking him between the legs to get away, no male has yet hit or shot him there. Is this also an instinctual thing? How about it guys, do you think to hit "below the belt"?
      Yes, that's why when you learn most fighting skills as a guy, they teach you to protect this area by your stance or other methods. Doesn't mean it can't still happen, but helps.

Originally posted by MRF
      And on a happier note, if the DJ is part of the LoA, he is more likely to die on screen. I definitely want to watch that scene. I would pay money to watch that scene. Can we start a petition to help make this happen?
      OH man, i agree 100%! I can't give an episode of Arrow a 10 if this DJ is in it. Like Brick, I can make an exception if they kill or otherwise dispose of this most irritating character.

Comment

Originally posted by KevStar
        This episode was great in my opinion. But the last scene left me thinking: I think the DJ/Chase is not just a simple League of Assassins member - I think it's Maseos son Akio.
        NOOOOOOOOO! I hope you are not right! Besides, this DJ is not japanese
        But if it turns out to be true, I would never have thought of it, which will be an excellent catch for you!

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode.

This felt more action packed than a non finale episode.

I really wish Laurel would fess up to her dad, or someone would, about Sara's death. It's really to the point where when he does find out, things will be worse than if he had found out quickly. Laurel loves her dad, but she is needlessly tormenting herself. And Lance probably will have a heart attack when he finally finds out. I remember in an old episode where he told her "I thought we didn't lie to each other? Guess I was wrong"

I'm glad Felicity has been able to progress through her grief over Oliver and Sara. She is really a strong person, as well as smart, and its very difficult for all the others if she stays on the sideline. Time and circumstances are helping her move forward. It was a nice scene where both she and Laurel decided to continue on, instead of giving up.

This crazy brawl in the mayors office was exciting, and I was really getting surprised by all the things going on in there. If you want to see who's got a fire in them, look at these who jumped into a fight against armed thugs - Ray, Laurel, Felicity.

Roy saving Laurels bacon was appropriate. Laurel should be struggling somewhat, and I had no hopes for her defeating Brick. But I like the fact that she is trying. This determination will carry her a long way. The whole escape out a window seemed very lucky, and wasn't entirely sure she had a good hold of that ladder She is living by the roll of the dice right now, and nobodies luck holds out forever.

Roy was really great this episode. He is showing some very strong fighting skills and judgement. It was telling how he and Laurel were so upset after that alderman got killed by Brick. The last thing Arrow team wants are innocents getting killed while on their missions.

Brick is a ruthless bad guy. I'm not sure our guys can take him down without Oliver. Maybe it's time for Diggle to get Lyla to contact Waller. We have a mayor abandoning an entire part of her city to this guy? Is that to be considered acceptable? Really?

The recovery of Oliver has not been explained very well. I wonder if this is just what Maseo and Tatsu are telling Ollie, since everybody lies to each other on this show? There needs to be an explanation of some sort given.

I like Maseo and I hope he can survive this season. It is always exciting when Tatsu gets into a fight, she is like a whirlwind. I'm not sure Maseo's plan to hide them is going to work.

And what's up with this DJ? He is so unlikable a character, I really hope Malcolm is the one who gets rid of him for Theas sake.

Malcolm continues to dig a deeper hole with Thea. The two biggest reactions I expect to see in the near future are when Lance finds out about Sara, and when Thea discovers Malcolms complex duplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowaddict22
            When we first saw Oliver and China White fight in season 1, there was speculation that they knew each other, particularly because she spoke to Oliver in Chinese, and he responded. Look back at that thread, and you will see the speculation.
            If this is true why hasn't China White revealed it to the world?

Comment

I absolutely love that we are finally getting to see Laurel suit up as the Black Canary! For that reason alone, I enjoyed this episode despite the few minor flaws that others have already mentioned. I look forward to seeing Laurel's Black Canary for many episodes to come.

Comment

I like Laurel "Week One"

I loved Ray in this EP. I am ready for the A.T.O.M

DJ Assassin?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowaddict22

I loved this episode. i loved the fight in the mayor's office, where ray automatically came out fighting in defence of everyone. As did Laurel. they have an automatic response to take up the fight.
                  bringing in Sara's voice was cruel and i did not like that. Laurel said she would tell her dad the truth when they caught Sara's killer. they know who the killer is, and now she needs to 'fess up.
                  felicity was awesome - her strength of character was allowed to come out. Interesting that felecity is becoming the superhero/vigilante go-to person. Maybe she can make a career of supporting heroes (lol)?
                  Could maseo be the person who supplied Oliver with all that equipment we saw in the pilot?
                  Well you are sorta right, WE as the audience know who killed sara, as well as Oliver, Roy, Felicity, and Diggle. But laurel does not, they never told laurel about that, and for good reason when she finds out (and she is going to find out) she will want to go after thea or at the very least malcom, causing more tension between oliver and laurel. All in all i thought this episode was pretty good, I enjoy watching the others shine but still stumble, im glad they arent percieving roy as a great hero yet, i mean he has training but not nearly as much as oliver and even oliver stumbles alot. I do however think its getting time for diggle to have a costume if he is going to continue to fight crime, didnt he say he was done when his wife had his daughter?? and now he is continuing risking his life but doing it without any mask so anyone can ID him and go after his family, not only that but connect the dots with his association with oliver?? i mean if your gonna help the vigilante fight crime wear a mask, its the same reason oliver wears his. as for everyones fussing over laurel, yes it is a low blow to continue with these lies to her father, and we all want it to stop..but thats why it cant yet. If everytime a character was doing something we thought was wrong and the way we want it solved was acheived then the show would not escalate.. for example in SOA had jax let opie kill clay over piney, a whole 2 seasons would be different, in GOT had the red viper actually killed the mountain then tyrion would not be on the run after having to kill his father.... its story progression, yes some time we go "GRRRR why are they doing that just tell the truth already." but that waiting, that stalling and continuing the lies are whats gonna unfold more story later on, maybe the end game is to get the police back on team arrow trying to stop them, maybe its to finally give quintin a heart attack and end the character, maybe its to create a bigger rift between laurel and her father, or maybe its even to get thea arrested for saras murder or have quintin kill thea in rage, i mean the first time he thought sara was dead he blamed oliver, now his sister..he will hate the queens.. but thats speculation. we dont know though and thats the point.. same thing with the oliver's healing story..of course it sounds fishy..cold weather doesnt patch a hole in your lung..theres more too it. but we will soon find out more im sure.

Comment

Obviously China White was so distracted by Oliver's wig the first time they saw each other she didn't even look at his face. Is what would happen to anyone

Comment

Originally posted by dark sister
                      Obviously China White was so distracted by Oliver's wig the first time they saw each other she didn't even look at his face. Is what would happen to anyone
                      A++++

Comment

Here are my thoughts about "Midnight city". It is a cross-post, hope that's OK!

Let me begin by saying that I really liked this episode. It had a bit of something for everyone: Thea/Malcolm finally shared some meaningful screen time, the team got a chance to try their wings without Oliver, and the Ray Palmer/Felicity storyline moved forward. For those who missed Oliver in the present-day action there were plenty of flashbacks and side-stories involving his past and current fates.

I was a bit apprehensive of how the writers would deal with Ollie's absence, but I actually enjoyed seeing the team members interact without him. Oliver is such a central character that he sometimes tends to suck up the other characters' storylines and interactions. For example, we usually see Oliver interact with Laurel, and suddenly she is having a lot of great scenes with Roy, Diggle and Felicity, something that can only benefit her character. We also see Roy and Diggle having a shot of vodka, with Diggle momentarily emulating Oliver's mentor role, as well as Felicity having some good semi-romantic scenes with someone who isn't Oliver. So, all in all I think Oliver's absence in the present-day action gave the writers the opportunity to let the secondary characters shine and bond in a way that would not have been possible of he still had been at the center as the unquestionable protagonist/team leader.

I'm going to deal with the different characters separately, and add a few random observations in the end.

1. Laurel Lance. I really appreciate the fact that the writers devoted so much time to Laurel and her storyline, and the way they integrated her into team Arrow's efforts to stop Brick. I liked her moments with Roy, although his claims about learning to fight in the streets sounded a tad inflated to me, since he has been shown to be a pretty crappy fighter so far (more flips and flops than martial arts' skills I would say). I also liked the Laurel/Felicity moment...if these two women are going to share screen time and storylines in the upcoming seasons, it's great that the writers try to lay the foundation for a common understanding/friendship between them. As someone else here wrote, even though parts of the fandom see them as rivals, there is no need for the writers to pit them against each other.

Laurel's/BC's fighting style is still somewhat unorthodox, but I loved the high heel attack, as well as her fight scenes against Brick and his men. Despite her boxing training, Laurel is still a novice, and it's great that this is acknowledged, rather than swept under the mat. Another sign that she is still inexperienced/not jaded is the fact that she was shocked seeing the alderman die in front of her eyes. That is a reaction that we hardly ever saw from Oliver or Sara. Her interrogation scene with one of Brick's gang member was also good. Katie Cassidy is pretty good at playing sassy, and I think there was a lot of sass in the way she confronted Hoffman (?). Some bloggers on tumblr turned an IMHO overly critical eye on this scene, and accused Laurel of racism. I'm not going to delve into this issue much, but I wonder what the detractors would have said if the suspect had been white...would they have reacted in the same manner? What I'm trying to say is that if the practice of intimidating a suspect into giving information is to be considered reproachable, it won't matter if the alleged victim is black or white. And if Laurel's methods are reprehensible, so are Oliver's (who regularly terrorizes both blacks and whites into giving him the info he needs). In fact, even a law-abiding non-vigilante like Felicity is not above using illicit means to get information (***** with WiFi scene). Some folks may protest that Laurel represents the law, and therefore should be held to higher standards. Well, judging by the many police dramas I have seen, law enforcement officers are not above this kind of stuff (at least not fictional ones), so it didn't really bother me.

Anyway, I thought this was a promising start of Laurel's BC arc. The only thing that annoyed me was the whole "secrets and lies" Quentin storyline. I find this kind of storylines contrived and cheap, whether they involve Laurel or Oliver or the team (who still haven't told Laurel about Thea).

Felicity and Ray: I personally think this was EBR's best episode so far. Her storyline included much more than hacking/delivering exposition/providing comic relief, but on the other hand it wasn't as tear-drenched and angsty as in the previous episodes. She had good moments with Laurel/KC and especially with Ray/BR, where I think she delivered really well. I'm liking Ray more and more for each episode, and I think Brandon Routh is a great addition to the cast. He may not be as handsome and jacked as Stephen Amell, but in my humble opinion he is a more versatile and engaging actor. His scenes with Felicity weren't overly romantic, but to quote Casablanca, I can see the beginning of a great friendship between them. Some folks are probably going to call me biased, but I feel that EBR is more relaxed in her scenes with Brandon, maybe because she doesn't feel like she has to enact this epic romance for the Olicity shippers (as she might feel in her scenes with SA). Let me hasten to add that I feel the same about SA and KC: their shared scenes have a more natural flow now when they don't have to play the tragic lovers.

Roy Harper: another pleasant surprise. I have regarded Colton Haynes as a pretty untalented and wooden actor, but in this ep I think he did a really good job. Maybe it was because he got some solid dramatic scenes, rather than being Oliver's flip flopping sidekick in the action scenes? His confrontation with Malcolm was well done, and he really convinced me that he knows Thea better/care more for her than her manipulative father.

OK, this is already long enough, so I'll just end with some observations/conundrums:

1. Why would Brick want to take over the poorest area in Starling city? Does he want to start some kind of crime imperium with the Glades as his base?

2. Do you think China White recognized Oliver behind the mask when she met the Hood in season one? She did address him in Chinese (Mandarin) which seemed odd to me, unless she remembered him from Hongkong. Addition: I just saw the comment about Ollie's hair....OF COURSE China White was too mesmerized by his hair piece to notice his face and remember it five years later!

3. I think Laurel looks pretty badass as BC, even though I'm not a fan of dark lipstick. I'm glad that the costume designers skipped the cleavage, although the comic book BC is pretty sexualized with her big boobs and fishnets. I think the costume department realized that this look wouldn't work in a TV adaptation, because it would make her look more like a pole dancer than a masked heroine!
                        Last edited by evaba; 02-02-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dark sister
                          HK Ollie wig is 100% better than ... Island Oliver wig

Comment

Originally posted by evaba
                            Here are my thoughts about "Midnight city". It is a cross-post, hope that's OK!
                            Interesting, I just saw this on IMDB. It kinda makes me wonder who else from the forum is over there as well. Good post by the way.

Comment

worst episode ever, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I hated it sooooooo much. It was just bad. they need to do better. flash ep11 500% better

Comment

Originally posted by MRF
                                I also find it funny, that while Laurel has no qualms about kicking him between the legs to get away, no male has yet hit or shot him there. Is this also an instinctual thing? How about it guys, do you think to hit "below the belt"?
                                LOL. I recall reading a scene in a scifi book where men and women were training together with swords. Per the story, men never think to strike "below the belt" and women never think to strike another woman's breasts. One of the points of the training scene was to pit man vs woman and "practice" 1) throwing off the opposite-sex opponent by attacking the area they least expect, and 2) fighting the involuntary reactions to always protect the respective spot. i.e. A woman instinctively protecting her breasts will drop her guard everywhere else. Truth? Don't know, but it was a funny scene to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎