7 18.92%

13 35.14%

5 13.51%

1 2.70%

2 5.41%

0 0%

0 0%

1 2.70%
  • 1 - Ollie needs to come back to Starling, STAT.

2 5.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Midnight City?"

What did you think?

Settling In
    Loved it! I'm glad Laurel is struggling. I'm not a Laurel hater but I was in the camp that doubted whether she would be in tip top shape after a few boxing lessons with Ted.

This was a pretty good ep. It makes sense that everyone in Team Arrow is strugglling and stumbling. A city without the Arrow is an unknown to them and everyone is trying to forge his or her place in this new reality. It was expected that both Diggle and Roy would have misgivings about Laurel diving into vigilantism so quickly. Roy has been stepping up as a capable lieutenant. I did feel bad about Diggle having to do double duty as both team devil's advocate and tech backup dude. I can imagine him going "Arrrrgh, *pounds CTRL+ALT-DEL several times* ... I'm not Microsoft Office certified!"

It must have come as a surprise for some viewers to see that it was Felicity who convinced Laurel not to give up on being Canary 2.0. Another checkpoint on the S3 emergence of the Laurel-Felicity Action Squad.

I'm not sure what to make of Quentin still being in the dark about Sara's death and that all of Team Arrow is now going to wear this deception (and any fallout) if/when Quentin ever learns the truth. This, along with Malcolm still keeping Thea in the dark about Ollie's fate, are secrets n lies that have been kicking around for too long. I guess it fuels more melodrama.

And how about Flashback Ollie's hair -- that thing is one grungy beast. I think the 1990's are looking for it. It deserves separate billing on its own. Maybe it could get credits listing somewhere between Diggle and Brick.

Thea had some good scenes, esp. with Malcolm. I'd have to agree with Malcolm on this -- they needed to get out of town. This is Ra's and the LoA we're talking about ... does Thea really think she's ready to take them on so soon, even with her dad's help? He might have given her confidence, but it also looks like he gave her some dangerous hubris too. I'm still not a fan of DJ dude, although his LoA connection could be promising. (His attempted romancing of Thea is, sadly, not. )

Forum Regular
    With Oliver out of action as the Arrow I thought episode was just above average at best. Next week looks like it will be really action packed and we will see Team Arrow grow.

Forum Regular
    i found this comment on the arrow reddit forum and it pretty much exactly explains my thoughts on this episode. "And that's what's upsetting about this episode; the whole Laurel pretending to her father to be her sister was the only part about the episode I didn't enjoy tonight. Laurel getting her ass handed to her, and falling a lot, Roy being cool and trying to intimidate Malcolm was hilarious, Thea constantly denying douchebag DJ (who is in contact with Maseo, huh?), Oliver kicking butt in the club in Hong Kong. Ray and Felicity being Ray and Felicity. But the lying to Captain Lance, and the voice thing (thats messed up)... Overall 8/10."

Still, not good enough. As has been the case with most episodes this season, imo the negatives outweighed the positives.

The good:
    - Laurel's journey towards becoming the Black Canary was actually handled quite well. She wasn't lightswitched to possess hero like abilities, as was the case with Roy.
    - Vinnie Jones, again.
    - The Roy/Laurel/Diggle teamwork.
    - The new mayor.

The bad:
    - For me, the biggest knock on this episode, and I was waiting until this week to see how it played out, is the resolution to Oliver's storyline. Imo it was a cop out. The cold helped with his wounds? What about the broken back and skull he should have suffered after falling that long and landing on rocks? Maybe they avoided the Pit explanation because of the show's supposed grounded realism. But the way they went about it made things worse.
    - Quentin being lied to about Sara. And now Laurel has taken it up a notch in that regard by faking Sara's voice. Ugh.
    - Speaking of clueless Quentin, he's yet to figure out Oliver and the Arrow are missing at the same time? Again?
    - On its own, the Felicity-Laurel scene was fine. But I'm getting tired of this show repeatedly putting heroes in a situation where Felicity has to guide them towards their purpose. It's happened with Oliver and Roy in the past and now it's happening with Laurel and Ray. Give some other character that distinction for a change. Or, just have the heroes make their own decisions for once.
    - Chase a member of the League? Hope they're not going there and he's just a mole planted by Sarab.

5/10.

Settling In
    Perfect episode 10/10 who the hell could hate this?

Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    - Speaking of clueless Quentin, he's yet to figure out Oliver and the Arrow are missing at the same time? Again?
    I don't think this criticism is fair, Quentin probably has no clue Oliver is missing, is not like they are friends, he has no reason to concern himself with Oliver's whereabouts, and Thea hasn't go to the police to talk about her brother's dissapearence, which is the only way I can see Quentin finding out Ollie has left Starling, I'm pretty sure Laurel and Felicity wouldn't mention it in from of him just to be safe. And remember that Diggle has dressed up as the Arrow a few times after Oliver left, so Quentin has no way of knowing both the Arrow and Oliver went away at the same time.

But I do think that Quentin and Thea should find out who the Arrow is before this season ends, because is getting harder and harder to justify why they don't put 2 and 2 together.
    Last edited by dark sister; 01-29-2015 at 05:47 AM.

Posting Pro
    - On its own, the Felicity-Laurel scene was fine. But I'm getting tired of this show repeatedly putting heroes in a situation where Felicity has to guide them towards their purpose. It's happened with Oliver and Roy in the past and now it's happening with Laurel and Ray. Give some other character that distinction for a change. Or, just have the heroes make their own decisions for once.
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but I tend to agree with you. I'm sure that I will enjoy the Felicity/Laurel bonding, but I agree that the writers have taken Felicity's "hero enabler" role to somewhat ridiculous heights. Felicity has a large and dedicated fandom, and she is appreciated for her many other qualities, so there is no need to constantly prop her in this manner. TBH, I think that Diggle is more fit to guide the team, with his life/combat experience and "gravitas" as a character.

I thought this was a good episode because of the character growth each member of Team Arrow had which would have never happened if Oliver was still there calling the shots. They started off as rudderless team without him but by the end of the episode they found their own way without him, became their own team, and had a clear sense of direction and purpose. They learned to move beyond their own weaknesses and focus on what is the most important, helping others and seeing justice is served.
    Last edited by SteelyGal; 01-29-2015 at 05:39 AM.

Posting Pro
    I rather enjoyed this episode, though there were a few hiccups. It was nice to see the Team beginning to work together without Oliver since it gives them some much-needed growth. Laurel and Roy's interactions this episode were pretty good. "I had training from Oliver and grew up on the streets. You have a law degree." Nice snappy comment from Roy, there. I had wondered where they were taking the Chase character, but as it is now a fair guess he is a member of the League or at least one of their 'assets' (like Oliver was in HK), it makes his interactions with Thea more interesting. For example, did he find a way to scare off any real competition?

Roy's scene with Malcolm was not, in my opinion, his attempt to intimidate the more seasoned warrior. He was stating facts, facts Merlyn had, perhaps, tried to ignore since they didn't fit with his desires, and forced Merlyn to try and talk with Thea. Problem is, his penchant for needing to keep as much things to himself as possible has once again put him in a position he probably doesn't want to be in. He did not truly give Thea a good measure on not only the League, but also their master. Of course, the only way to really give Thea a good example would be to inform her of the Arrow's demise (she's fought the Arrow briefly and seen him in action before, so....).

What I was NOT impressed with was Laurel and the Team using the voice modulators in a different way. Not only does this continue the lie and make it a requirement of others to keep, but when the truth does come out (and we all know it will before the end of the season) than if Quentin does have a dramatic reaction to the loss, the blame will be placed squarely on Laurel's shoulders, and rightly so. It was one thing to keep Sara's death from him by saying "her life is very complicated" and "I haven't heard from her", but quite another to use Sara's voice as a cover. Laurel's fighting skills were accurate for someone with only a few months of training, and I was glad to see that, but this whole thing she's been doing with regards to Sara's death and Quentin is just, put bluntly, DISGUSTING.

In regards to the Felicity being the booster for every single hero in this universe, I too am getting tired of this. It's just more proof to me that even though she at least existed in comics prior to this, Felicity is basically the Chloe Sullivan of "Arrow" (this was pretty much Chloe's role from Season 8 onward). The problem here is that ultimately, this could easily mean her death is what brings an alliance of heroes together, and we know how Felicity fans will react to this. (In Smallville, Chloe's disappearance triggered a more cohesive unit, and we've seen on the Avengers the death of a comrade inspiring the team to suit up, so there is precedent).

I love the episode.. it was Ray that said something that Felicity took to heart she just put her own spend on it!! glad to see it not instent Hero with Laurel/ Black C

I thought this was a pretty strong episode in terms of character development. I love seeing the team bond and find a way to work together in Oliver's absence. Laurel's evolution into the Black Canary was really enjoyable in this episode. My only big nitpick was that I really hated Laurel pretending to be Sara. There is no way that this whole thing doesn't blow up in her face.

But bottom line is that I love how much the team feels like a family. I look forward to seeing how the dynamic changes again with Oliver's return.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    Still, not good enough. As has been the case with most episodes this season, imo the negatives outweighed the positives.

The good:
    - Laurel's journey towards becoming the Black Canary was actually handled quite well. She wasn't lightswitched to possess hero like abilities, as was the case with Roy.
    - Vinnie Jones, again.
    - The Roy/Laurel/Diggle teamwork.
    - The new mayor.

The bad:
    - For me, the biggest knock on this episode, and I was waiting until this week to see how it played out, is the resolution to Oliver's storyline. Imo it was a cop out. The cold helped with his wounds? What about the broken back and skull he should have suffered after falling that long and landing on rocks? Maybe they avoided the Pit explanation because of the show's supposed grounded realism. But the way they went about it made things worse..
    I agree they should have used the Pit. It would have made Oliver's "recovery" more credible.

Ollie's pretty quick recovery is moving into the realm of suspension of disbelief, where I'll basically have to roll with the idea that he's recovered from mortal wounds, and how about a concussion from falling off a cliff? While having a bubbling pit of goop bestowing everlasting life might be canon re: Ra's, I would have been prepared to see it come about another way. Herbs, maybe, or some sort of elixir? Maybe we'll hear more about it in future. Or not. Maybe all it took was extra-strength Tylenol, who knows.

I do feel bad about how it sometimes seems a no-win situation for Laurel re: taking on the Canary mantle. If she was shown as incredibly skilled without faults in this ep., a part of the fandom would be up in arms about how unbelievable she could be, she's not a League-trained assassin etc. etc. Now that they've taken what I think is a more believable approach -- with her early outings involving setbacks and mistakes, considering she is a street-fighting novice -- it's still perceived by a segment of the fandom as unbelievable. How they've handled Laurel as Canary 2.0 so far in S3 is more credible than if they bestowed upon her natural gifts and she was written to take down all comers with barely a scratch.

I can believe that Thea believes that she can take on Ra's and the League. Do I believe that she can? Not by a long shot at this point, even with Malcolm backing her up. In this case, daddy knows best and now would be the time for them to split SC.

The only explanation I can have for both Malcolm keeping Thea in the dark about Ollie and Laurel (and Team Arrow) keeping Quentin in the dark about Sara is: these are subplots specifically made to deliver on melodrama. It is only going to make Malcolm look like a heartless, calculating lout (maybe this is what they want) and will undoubtedly cause unnecessary drama/friction between Laurel and her dad. The voice modulation stuff was out of left field and not sitting well with me. Secrets! Lies!

I suspect all of this is being set up so they can have a big revelation for Quentin either near, or in, the season finale ... then Laurel and all of Team Arrow must "live with the consequences" in S4. They wipe out a cast member a season so if they continue on this route, then Quentin's number may likely be up by season's end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast