0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Failing this city

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by acer15 View Post
    So in the next episode or 2 will Oliver be able to e-mail or call Felicity telling her he is alive?
    I don't remember him taking a cellphone with him on the climb before the duel.

Super Moderator savingpeoplething's Avatar
    I liked the idea of showing what Oliver's "death" would mean to everyone, but it was strange to me that they would focus on the people who have only known him for two years while totally ignoring the woman Ollie loved for "half his life". Though, I do like the parallel to Oliver that if Laurel grieved, nobody else would get to. So, there's that.

I enjoyed Diggle putting on the Arrow suit and going on in the field with Arsenal. In fact, I really liked Diggle in this episode. I haven't really connected with "Team Arrow" like most of the Internet has, but Diggle has had a good amount of character development lately and to see him in a vulnerable conversation with Laurel where he let his guard down was really refreshing. It would have been nice if he had checked on her, too (and maybe also told her who murdered her sister, but I guess that's a rant for another time), but it's in character for Laurel to reach out to someone who was hurting and I appreciated that.

Great motivation for Laurel to put on her suit! I didn't know how they would do it, but I think it makes total sense that after Ollie's team just kinda quits, Laurel realizes nobody is going to do anything and CHOOSES to step up. It's a nice inverse of Sara's Canary who didn't seem to have much of a choice since she operated with the League of Assassins.

And am I correct in thinking that the guy in the courtroom Laurel was trying to convict was the same guy she attacked at the end? Because if so, I liked that A LOT. She got him one way or the other. Could be the way she operates in the future.

I liked that Ray kinda told Felicity to cool it. I hope she doesn't help him with his plans, to be honest, because I'd like to see him do it on his own. Make his own path. Not every hero should need Felicity to do everything for them.

Revealing that Oliver was alive felt a little too soon to me. I guess they didn't want people to quit the show if they genuinely believed Oliver was gone, but it ruined the tension and suspense for me. Not that I believed he was actually going to die and not show up again, but it would have been nice to have been kept in the dark for a little while.

Brick is fun to watch so far so I'm looking forward to seeing what trouble he causes in the upcoming episodes!

Last edited by savingpeoplething; 01-22-2015 at 09:35 AM.

I enjoyed the episode, although I must admit I missed Oliver in the Starling City storyline.

They made a good job showing how worried Team Arrow is about Oliver's whereabouts and how without him, Diggle, Roy and Felicity feel completely lost. That being said, I found Felicity's reaction a little bit annoying, part of me understands what she is going through and why she is acting that way, but other part of me wants feels like she is dragging everyone down, like she wants everyone to behave like her. She didn't have the right to tell Ray what to do and she shouldn't have closed the door of the warehouse and let Brick get away. Right now she is being an obstacle for the rest of the team.

I was surprised by how quickly they resurrected Oliver, I thought we weren't going to see him in present days until the episode called "Nanda Parbat" at least, now I wonder what is he going to do the next few episodes, train with Maseo and Tatsu? Try to kill Ra again to make sure his sister is safe?

And Laurel made her first appearence as Black Canary, I'm glad they didn't show her as a great fighter, even with her self-defense classes and the boxing she has a long way to go before reaching Sara or Oliver's level, hope they remember that and show how she improves over time.

As I said, a good episode, but I missed Oliver.

I must be in the minority of one, but with the way Diggle handled the computer equipment, there is no more purpose for Felicity. I already see similarities between her and Chloe from Smallville. Time for her to go.
    Great episode and I didn't really miss Oliver at all. At one point, it looked like the show could continue without him.
    As for Katie Cassidy, she looked smoking hot in that leather

Mid-season came back with a bang!

LOVE LOVE Vinnie Jones. He epitomizes every character he plays (which is oftentimes creepy/scary/intimidating), and there was no exception here. Perfect casting for Brick, cannot wait to see what else they do with him.

Roy is quickly becoming my favorite character...it's great to see how much more depth they've given him over last season and this one. I appreciate how he is able to interact with Thea especially and not be all dramatic/whiny about it now. He has matured and learned much. Amazing scene in the tunnel. His costume is SICK and I continue to do a double-take every time I see him, with just how much he resembles Young Justice Roy:

Wish Brandon Routh had more screen time, I realize they have a lot to cram in, but it would be nice to see a little more Ray Palmer, hoping now that he's in mid-exoskeleton development that we will see this. Very happy to see him back in the DCU again, and I can't help but see still, a little Supes there To segue from this a bit...I do like Felicity, she's still my favorite female charachter (though I liked her more in the beginning when she constantly dropped unintended innuendos and was just that nerdy girl in IT), but I'm with some others, I want Ray to develop his costume on his own. To go Marvel for a minute here, example: Tony Stark. Genius who developed his own costume with no help from anyone, at least living anyway (Jarvis). I would like to see Ray do this, he's obviously intelligent and has already been breaking through the tech, he could easily finish it. I give Felicity kudos for not helping him.

Ollie's "death" - I was still recovering from that jaw-dropping scene in the mid-season finale I figured out who helped him early on, I felt as though they were making that obvious with the flashbacks, which were at times a bit confusing with where they were fit in. Also slightly tough to follow were the amount of days Ollie was missing as the episode went on. As savingpeoplething said, I too was surprised they brought him "back" so soon, I thought they'd go on at least another episode before showing us he was alive. I liked how they showed the Team and their concern for Ollie and how they tried to continue what he would have wanted them to do. It was, albeit, choppy and unorganized (Malcolm Merlyn just strolling right in, twice) at times, but it was a good effort. Am curious to see how this will change Ollie, especially in regards to possible revenge.

On the Black Canary debut...it was cool, I'll give it that. It is nice to see Laurel has more of a purpose this season, especially now that she has taken up the BC mantle, I hope to see her improve in that regard as that is her namesake. I realize it's just the beginning for her, but at this point, Sara to me was infinitely more convincing as BC. I guess we'll see.

Solid 8!

Forum Regular
    If Thea leaves starling with Malcolm then who will run Verdant?

she shouldn't have closed the door of the warehouse and let Brick get away. Right now she is being an obstacle for the rest of the team.
    To be fair, just how were Roy and Diggle going to catch that truck full of machine gun armed men while running on foot? (If they had a ride just outside they could have opened the door and caught up with the truck, but no, the truck was too far gone for them ON FOOT) Felicity may have been acting on emotions but so were Roy and Dig, they weren't thinking clearly. Both nearly died and then they started chasing after a speeding truck. No, they wouldn't have caught him if the door hadn't closed. They had to duck to avoid being run over. There was no catching it after that point. The only thing the door going down did was keep the bullets from hitting them.

They say it wasn't her call to make but why not? She was the one actually watching the big picture, seeing what they were up against and they were out gunned. Roy and Dig didn't want to admit it but she probably did save their lives or at least kept them from being shot.

I'm not saying that she was thinking clearly, just that I think ALL of them were not thinking clearly.

What bothers me about special effects most is when they can't keep track of them.

Ra's clearly stabbed Olliver into his right chest, piercing his lung.

And yet when we see him again, his wound is in a different place at a different angle.

It can't be that hard to watch the footage and then apply the makeup properly...

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    It makes no sense that Malcolm thought Oliver would win against Ra's. Oliver barely manages to beat Malcolm. How could Malcolm think Oliver would be able to beat the person that was the leader of a group of people like Malcolm?
    In all fairness, you are referring to season 1 Ollie and Malcolm. We know Ollie has continued to hone his skills against frelling Slade, of all things! Ollie has leveled up several times since that fight. What has Malcolm been doing since the end of season 1? Training Thea, that we know of. So imo Malcolms skills have been semi-languishing, while Ollies have continues to be pushed and grown since that time. So yea, maybe Malcolm is aware and really thought Ollie could somehow pull it off?

I recall Ollie putting Malcolm into a deadly choke against a bar earlier in this season, and it was in the blink of an eye and Malcolm didn't even have a chance to stop it.

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    The team each had their own way of reacting to this truth. I really liked Laurel and Felicity's brief moment, with Laurel basically saying that Ollie's been back from the dead before. She has been through what Felicity is going through now. And Laurel's reaction was to help fill the void and take up her sister's mantle.
    I was so proud of Laurel at that moment. I'm seeing her develop incredible focus and nerves of steel lately. When they told her Ollie was gone, and she simply said "What?" - the way she said it had a lot of emotion. For me this was a great scene.

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Doena View Post
    What bothers me about special effects most is when they can't keep track of them.

Ra's clearly stabbed Olliver into his right chest, piercing his lung.

And yet when we see him again, his wound is in a different place at a different angle.

It can't be that hard to watch the footage and then apply the makeup properly...

I got nothing Great observation!

New In Town
    I am surprised I have not seen anything here about this, but I did notice some posts on reddit about how rude Felicity was when she turned off the lights on Diggle and Roy. But it linked back to the early scene where she said something about concentrating on keeping the lights on... When she turned them off, she was clearly stating that there was no more reason to keep them on. Nothing ever seems to happen in this show without a reason, so if something seems a bit off, look for a link to something else in the show.

For instance, Oliver cannot get through the window the first try in the flashback. But in the next scene, Roy appears to have used the same tactic and crashed though a window into the warehouse. This possibly shows that Roy is now better at his job after about a year in than Oliver was about two years in. And even if that is not the message you get, it is still a link between the scenes. This shows writers often go deeper than most viewers are used to.

And while I hated having to figure things out when I took a literature class, I actually like figuring things out in the plots and subplots in Arrow. I say we add an Arrow curriculum to local colleges!
    Last edited by MRF; 01-23-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: timeline error

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post here. I liked the show were i just had to rewatch it again. I don't like the flashbacks that much but they fit with the story this time.
    this sounds so corny I'm Justice that you can run from. I even thought You fall this city was corny but it grow on me

Forum Whiz
    I loved the episode.

I need to rewatch, but first viewing impressions:

Roy and Diggle seem to be a capable team, for the most part. But this new guy apparently has super tough skin like Luke Cage or something. Had some absolute stunning action sequences, like Roy running through the pipe while dodging bullets or Diggle doing the baseball slide under a truck dodging bullets and god knows what. It was also nice how they showed Diggles skill with an Arrow being a far cry from Roy or Ollies. But I can get behind the Diggle and Arsenal team. I believe they can handle the season one style criminals fairly well. Someone of Slades caliber, on the other hand... And their confusion as to proceeding with their crusade was well handled. I got the impression that neither of them really knows what to do, or how to go forward. It feels like maybe after this Brick case, they might close up shop and move on their separate ways.

Felicity was played very well. She seemed on the verge or holding it together, hanging on to the idea that Oliver was not dead. But as it became more clear, she gave in to her grief. And I believe it was compounded by the recent grief over Sara. She lost it, true, but people handle grief in so many different ways. But in her current state, she is somewhat dangerous to the team. And I thought it was rude of her to turn the lights off on Roy and Diggle. Plus, she is really in a bad state to think she can talk Ray down from following his apparent dream he's spent years on. Felicity isn't overly emotional most of the time, but the amount of grieving and things happening lately are pushing her very hard.

I'm glad Thea is questioning Ollie's absence. It's funny how she brings this up to Malcolm. She really doesn't know he is behind anything yet. I also enjoyed my Super Thea moment where she almost spiked Malcolm when he appeared up in a balcony! And their training scene was excellent. I'm really expecting her to do something absolutely crazy when she finds out that Malcolm got Ollie killed, and that Malcolm had her kill Sara. Really, Malcolm, you have 2 beatdown rainchecks right there! And maybe someday we can see Super Thea vs Helena. That's a fight i'd pay a couple bucks to see

The bad guy Brick is great. His plan wasn't making much sense to me, but I still enjoy him as a bad guy. I'm not sure how he can take a head shot and blink it off, but it doesn't bother me much. It was curious Roy noted arrows work better on him than Bullets. This guy and Diggles battle was well done. Diggle has such a different style of fighting than Ollie, and Brick is also more of a rough house fighter. And this battle was pure brawling and great to watch. Even though Diggle lost the fight, he's still the man

I love Laurel. I feel there is a fire that has been building in her for some time, and she is becoming more fearless and wreckless as each day goes by. When she whipped that guy in court with that bag of evidence, and then had that defiant look for him, it was great. She is utilizing all of her legal tricks, but as we see those are not going to be enough for Brick. When Laurel entered the Arrow HQ, and they told her what happened, the way she said "What?" was laden with emotion. But I note that she didn't blink and lose it like Felicity is doing. Her hard times over the last few years are giving her strong resolve and nerves to handle hard times. She didn't seem to hesitate snagging the Canary gear and jumping out into action. I believe she can handle a thug or two at this stage, but she better keep training and watch her back. If Brick gets hold of her, it's game over. If an assassin shows up, I don't think she'll win against it.

Masea, Tatsu, and Oliver - Wow. I know some people guessed Maseo would rescue Ollie, but I don't know anyone who guessed Tatsu would be involved in bringing Ollie back. I was so happy to see Tatsu there. I hope she isn't hard on Ollie, at least until he can get on his feet. Does this ruin the lazarus pit theory? I have no idea, but there is more to Tatsu than we have seen so far. Flashback Ollie and Maseo are fun as well. The conflict with Waller is so hard to bear, as I want them to go rescue Tatsu. Good thinking HK Ollie of putting that tracer in the bad guys clothes. Maseo said he is in Ollies debt for that. Maybe this is why he went to rescue Ollies body from that cliff. I'm happy they are still buddies, because I like their dynamic in the Hong Kong scenes.

Malcolm is puzzling to me. I'm not sure if he really thought Ollie would beat Ras, or if he thought there was a possibility and it would buy him some time? His game plan seems very un-Merlyn, so perhaps there are larger wheels he has set in motion? Otherwise, this seems very odd. He's bought himself a lot of trouble already, especially in regards to Thea. You know that bill will come due at some point. It seemed he really had a semi-soft spot for Ollie, but I guess that was all a lie? Malcolm seemed to be a little upset about the idea that Ollie had not come back. It's rare for him to lose his poker face, but he actually seemed to become a little pale when Thea brought up that Ollie has been missing for a few days. In season one, I understood Malcolm and why he was putting the Undertaking into place. This season, I hear him say why he does things, but his rationale does not add up for me. It makes me believe there is something more going on with him, but we are not privy to it yet.

Great episode, and Ollie being alive, but seriously wounded seemed appropriate.

I was pleasantly surprised with how good this episode was even though it was light on Oliver. The supporting cast did a great job of carrying the episode. I wouldn't want to see Oliver pushed to the background on a regular basis, but it worked well for the way this story was written.

My favorite moment was the debut of Laurel as the new Black Canary. I look forward to seeing more of her in costume next week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast