Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Revenge of the Rogues?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shadow4486
    No boom, but nice try, Galaxy. We all know it was Joe who shot the gun, and being the expert marksman that he was, he totally meant to hit that gun. But let's look at this "realistically" as we are so prone to wont to do.

If Joe meant to hit the gun, which is, I'm sure, not how cops are trained (unless this is a spaghetti western or he's been working with The Waco Kid from Blazing Saddles), then what was his thinking there? Realistically? Did he hope that his one bullet would knock the massive gun out of his hand thus rendering him vulnerable? Was he praying that his single shot would break the gun? Was he just wanting to stop the fire so his dwindling and, later we find out, burnt up police squad could rush "the ice one"? What was Joe's next move, oh Shakespeare of the TV Comic scene?

Not boom...luck. He probably shot hoping to kill the guy or wound him (more than likely kill) so the gun shot was a misfire by Joe. Guarantee that they didn't know, FOR CERTAIN, that the gun was rendered inoperable. A cop would not assume that in a tense situation. Subject is armed until they are NOT armed.

Big difference.
    I'll be honest. I don't know how this response relates to the point being made, so I'm not sure how to respond to it.

The point was that a cop with a gun would be capable of using that gun against these bad guys. There is proof in the episode that a cop (or 50) taking a shot (or 1000) at these guys has a good chance to disarm them, hurt them, or end them. Not only is it true of common sense but it is true in the context of the writing of this specific episode.

The easiest way for the writers to have avoided the plot hole that they created for themselves would be to simply not have the entire police department present during the final confrontation.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
      The definition of good writing, in this case, would be not writing yourself into that corner in the first place. When you've written yourself into a situation where the only two ways out are both stupid, then picking the "least sucky" answer isn't good writing. It's "slightly less bad" writing.

1: Police didn't surround the hanger - In the first encounter, the bad guys flee the police easily when the cops fail to surround the entire hanger. Basically, the cops block the front door and the bad guys go out the back door. It would have been very easy to show the bad guys damage police vehicles with their guns on their way out... or to have them blow a hole through the side of the hanger, thereby creating their own exit. You could have had them hijack the rich guy's plane and fly out. You could have had a clever scene where they find a way to "blend in with a crowd of hostages". There are any number of ways to have cleaned that scene up easily without making your police officers look like dunderheads.

2: Final Conflict - Literally, all they had to do was NOT have the bad guys tell the police where the fight was going to be. They could have gotten a message to just Flash, who could then choose not to tell the police because he was afraid the cops would interfere and get hurt themselves or get Caitlin killed. Simple. Effective. And your cops don't look like dunderheads.

This is just stupid, lazy writing, things that could be cleaned up without changing the story much at all.
      *Sigh* I was going to respond with a breakdown of each of your points on the Hanger scene and the Final Fight but then I thought, why bother? It's clear that you have a much more knowledgeable grasp of the writing convention than I ever could. So I will respond, thusly:

Have you applied to work for the Flash's writing team? I mean, you've got all the answers to making this a wonderful show that you (and some other's out on this forum who have problems with the writing) should. If the episodes are lacking in structure, or "good writing", or "strong writing", then please apply. It's clear you've got some skills.

Just from what we've all read, you, and those of your ilk, nailed the format of the show and the Wells reveal. It was beyond the rest of us but you set us straight and you were right. I'll admit when I'm wrong and I was. Didn't see it coming (well kinda but didn't want to believe it). So it sounds like you are a superior writer and in control of all the aspects of the TV writing medium, so what are you doing wasting precious keystrokes on a piddly forum? (Sorry, Kryptonsite...I only meant that in this context...I really like the forum). Each letter you type to which you hammer home the poor writing of Episode 10, or the failure of the Iris character, or assuredness of the Wells/RF identity, takes away from something constructive you could be doing for the show. By all means, I think we all will be better for it cause you get to show the world what it takes to be a great writer (and heaven knows, there are some bad ones in Hollywood as we speak) and we, the unwashed masses, get to see how great this show can really be in the hands of a master. I know I don't want a crappy show anymore. Now, that I've seen the light, I want it to be better. Can you help us?

_______

And to answer your "nitpick" statement. I only said that because of the above. If you have the skills, don't waste them here telling a peon like me how much you hate aspects of this show. Because that just makes you sound like someone holding a grudge, who's being hateful and pointed to prove something to someone. Maybe yourself, maybe someone from the show who reads forums...I can't say.

But what I can say is this: Don't let this forum be the vehicle in which you show those skills. Leave that to guys, like me, who aren't writers. We're just ordinary joes who like the escape of seeing superheroes on TV.

No need to reply cause I'm done with this particular thread. There's a new episode coming on. See ya on the morrow.

Comment

I have praised the show when I thought it was good. I have trashed it when I thought we, as an audience, deserved much better. I like to think about the shows when I watch them and I enjoy writing reviews. I will continue to do so.

Comment

I love you shadow4486. I would like to point out that these are two of the biggest characters in the Flash Universe. Definitely in the top three villains (Reverse Flash, Grodd, Rogues). So they are pretty powerful characters. I agree with everything shadow4486 has said so far.

I also think we keep forgetting that the freeze gun is specifically a weapon made to harm Flash. So Flash can't deal with it in the same way that he would a regular threat. It is super fast, it hurts his regenerating cells, and it covers a large distance and amount of space. So I think it makes sense that the police were pretty daunted by the two of them. Plus, once Flash showed up, the police are experiencing shock, awe, and hesitation. They've never seen anything like it before. Plus if anyone has the ability to handle these two, it's a man with super speed.

Also, as for the public announcement to Flash. We don't know the Rogues or the writers long-term plan for the show but Snark seemed perfectly at ease that they had lost. Obviously, almost expecting it as he had made a contingency plan with the Golden Glider. But he said that they had achieved a particular win when Flash revealed himself to the city.

I'm just trusting the writers because they have proven themselves a number of times already.

Comment

Yeah, Cold and Heat Wave posed such a threat to Flash that all he had to do to beat them was walk up to them while getting hit by their dangerous temperature blasts.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
              Yeah, Cold and Heat Wave posed such a threat to Flash that all he had to do to beat them was walk up to them while getting hit by their dangerous temperature blasts.
              I love you nate-dog1701d.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                I have praised the show when I thought it was good. I have trashed it when I thought we, as an audience, deserved much better. I like to think about the shows when I watch them and I enjoy writing reviews. I will continue to do so.
                Please do so. I never understand how these threads are supposed to be about our thoughts and opinions on the current episode become bogged down by people disliking our thoughts and opinions on the current episode.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                  Flash made a cold, calculated decision that the suit he was wearing was disposable

Comment

Yeah... What was stopping Barry from just super speeding up to them and taking the guns? Hell he basically did that in the last episode... Three times. Guess he it took leveling up in this episode to get the skill?
                    Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 01-29-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PHOENIXZERO
                      Yeah... What was stopping Barry from just super speeding up to them and taking the guns? Hell he basically did that in the last episode... Three times. Guess he it took leveling up in this episode to get the skill?
                      See, that's my problem with the writing, right there. If he can do it in one episode, why can't he do it in another? You can't have your hero forget that he can do stuff like that. It makes it hard to write situations that the Flash can't diffuse in 5 seconds, but that's the task you took on when you decided to make a show about the Flash. It's why a lot of writers hate writing for Superman, because they aren't creative enough to imagine a scenario that he can't easily defeat.

Honestly, they probably shouldn't have shown him disarming PP like that. If they just said "he's not fast enough to get that close without getting hit", that would be fine (if inaccurate, based on what we've seen). But now we have solid proof from the show itself that he is fast enough to rip Cold's gun right out of his hand.

Comment

That's a good point.

Comment

That inconsistency has been an issue with the show since the third episode and into Cold's first appearance in the fourth episode and well since forever with comics, my expectations with the writing are already low so I don't allow it to really bother me much and before the last episode I was kind of getting fed up with the repeated complaints about that very issue on another forum because I think everyone should expect it. But then they did it in the one right after and it's just like... "Really?" Going back to episode three Barry ran by and took a knife out of a mugger's hand and put it into the victim's without stopping and then episode four Snart shows up and Barry forgets he can do that, then forgets again when he and Mick come back only to remember in the next episode, makes me wonder who wrote those four episodes.

And so I checked, both Rogue episodes were written by Geoff Johns and Kai Wu and the other two episodes both had Alison Schapker as a writer with a different second writer for each.

I'm hoping this is one of those things that in some way get addressed later on, such as Barry just doing that to Cold and Heatwave the next time he encounters them leading to their going back and devising a way to prevent Barry from doing it again AND giving them some sort of protection from not just being physically attacked by Barry but you know, getting shot. A cycle of games being upped until a ceiling is hit and the Rogues are basically a recurring pest.

Comment

1. Why didn't any cops shoot Captain Cold or Heatwave in the head when they were fighting Flash?

2. When we stop getting villains with no costumes? All of them just get hoods on their heads and half of their power/weapon from who they are and are not interesting at all

3. Why did Heatwave and Cold split up before Flash came at them? The whole time they were right besides each other,but when the plot called for it they split apart so Flash could use his plan

Comment

I saw this episode on Netflix, a few days ago and I gave it a 9. It was great to see the first appearance of Heat Wave and to see that not all the cops trusted the Flash at first. I can't wait to see how this will turn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎