Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supergirl Spoilers - General Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing is, we still don't know if these shows are obligated to stick to a certain canon endgame. Smallville did, but that was another day and age as far as DCTV shows go. Now things appear to be more flexible (if Black Canary's demise is anything to go by).

Comment

• It's interesting to think that SV was in its own way more canonically "true" to its source material compared to the current Berlantiverse -- even though SV did its fair share of playing fast and loose with Superman canon too.

I agree the SV was another era for TV and superhero TV specifically, the first horse out of the barn in the 21st century in this regard. They probably played it safer than any of these modern series do re: following canon, not knowing at first how successful they would actually be.

Arrow and Co. entered the TV universe with a viewership who've largely bought into the premise of superhero shows. We might even say the SV experience trained/educated viewers to not expect these shows to strictly obey canon, or to even discard it when the story calls for it.

SV still felt the obligation/duty to follow canon by the end by showing Clark become Superman and eventually ending up with Lois. With these new shows, I feel they have a much longer leash and more leeway from DC, for better or worse, re: canon.

Kara could end up with Barry or some 'generic original character' for all we know in the Berlantiverse and while it being "not canon" may bother some viewers because it wasn't in the comics, I don't feel in this day and age the general audience would even care it never happened canonically, as a larger segment of the audience don't care about/have no interest in comics or in the show religiously adhering to comics canon to the letter. If they can kill off BC, it suggests that SG or any other show cannot expect some miraculous canon immunity idol that would prevent them from experiencing similar canon-meddling events.

Heck, we need only look at James' experience on SG. They sure aren't obeying canon there, he's looking at "canonical James Olsen" in the rearview mirror and he's exiting the offramp to Elseworlds ... so I don't see why Kara/SG would somehow be immune from canon meddling, either in her story or in who she ends up with.

I might have expected them to be more loyal to canon during the SV era. In 2017? Nuh-uh, they're mostly going to do their own thing -- and both please and tick off comics canon loyalists as it suits them. They're at the point where they'll just borrow a comics character's name and create a whole new character that has little to no resemblance to the comics. At least Artemis used a bow, for example, but the similarity ends there.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy re: wanting these shows to stick to canon. I was that viewer with SV, and when the show veered off canon I set myself up to be disappointed. It was hit-and-miss with SV: sometimes they took a bold step in tweaking canon, other times they just botched whatever creative spin they thought they were doing.

I guess with SV there were some lines that, to their credit, they would not cross re: Clark and Superman's story. I'm just not sure there are as many lines they will not cross re: Berlantiverse.

On the flip side, the movie success of Batman and, now, Wonder Woman means pigs will fly before WB would ever let these two appear in live-action TV and be meddled with anytime soon.

There's a blessing in that. #HandsOff #TVEmbargo #LongMayItReign

Comment

• 24 alum Carlos Bernard will guest-star during Season 3 as Maggie's father.

http://tvline.com/2017/08/04/supergi...-father-oscar/

Comment

• I think this article headline about James Olsen speaks volumes about his S2 status: 'Supergirl Friendzoned Jimmy So Hard He Became Guardian'

Yeah, they tried to make his reasons for vigilantism be more than trying to impress Kara. But they didn't sell it that well at all.

I'm realizing that I liked Earth-CBS James better than Earth-The CW James. At least CBS James had plenty of stuff going on, even with the predictable love triangles.

As for James S2 on SG 'Earth-The CW' ...?

Comment

• Do you have any scoop about Supergirl and/or The Flash? —Sarah
            I choose Column A, since I have just learned that the CW series is seeking a fortysomething actress to play a mysterious and “sexually compelling” Kryptonian who is being likened to Game of Thrones‘ Melisandre.

http://tvline.com/2017/08/09/arrow-s...ity-slade-son/

Comment

• I'm glad they're tapping into Superman and Supergirl's Kryptonian background.

Comment

• Kreisberg talks about Kara and Lena's relationship:

Supergirl Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg discussed the future of Kara's friendship with Lena with Entertainment Weekly.

Comment

• I never know where to put promos that feature the entire DCTVU

Comment

• A new trailer with Supergirl Season 3 clips features a shot of Calista Flockhart's Cat Grant

Comment

• The AmericansOlivia Nikkanen has replaced Jordan Mazarati who played the young Alex in various flashbacks. In addition, The FostersIzabela Vidovic will replace Malina Weissman as the young Kara too.

Both Izabela & Olivia will make their appearance as the 'new' young Kara & Alex on the sixth episode of S3 in a flashback.

http://tvline.com/2017/09/05/supergi...on-3-spoilers/
                      Last edited by darkphoenix21; 09-05-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• This is The CW. Why don't Melissa and Chyler play their own high school selves?

Comment

• New actors will be playing the younger Danvers sisters in the Supergirl episode "Midvale."

Comment

• Comment

• Chad Lowe will be guest starring in the fourth episode of S3 and he will also be directing a separate episode.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/13/supergir...lowe-season-3/

Comment

• Can't wait to see Erica as Alura.

I'm so excited.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍