Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supergirl Spoilers - General Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me you have something about Supergirl‘s Mon-El! I miss his face on my screen! —Rebecca
    We have a big ol’ preview story coming up for the next episode, but until then, I can share that Melissa Benoist described his return as “mysterious,” adding that his reunion with Kara is very muchin keeping with the “different tone” of the title hero’s storyline this season.

http://tvline.com/2017/11/14/timeles...old-hollywood/

Comment

• Comment

• Winter Premiere “Legion of Super-Heroes!” Episode Description...

http://www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl...s-description/

Comment

• “Legion of Super-Heroes” Photos:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl...heroes-photos/

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Anything about Supergirl’s Kara and Lena and what the future holds for them? –Nancy
                As part of TVLine’s upcoming in-depth Q&A about the back half of Season 3 (premiering Monday, April 16), executive producer Jessica Queller told me, “There’s a big reveal” involving Lena “that will enrage Supergirl and the DEO. It turns into an epic battle of wills between the two women. I wouldn’t want to miss it!”

http://tvline.com/2018/04/09/supergi...a-lena-secret/

Comment

• Jeremy Jordan is downgrading his status on the series to recurring

https://tvline.com/2018/06/15/superg...nale-spoilers/

Comment

• And Jesse Rath (Brainiac 5) has been upgraded to a series regular....hmmm

https://tvline.com/2018/06/15/superg...egular-brainy/

I assume that Jeremy Jordan (like many others have speculated) wanted to be able to do more stage productions outside of Supergirl and so they gave Jesse Rath more screen-time. Winn stays in the background until further notice while Brainy gets to do a bit more.

Comment

• Sam Witwer (Smallville) has landed the series regular role of Agent Liberty

https://ew.com/tv/2018/07/17/smallvi...tainmentweekly

Comment

• TV’s first transgender superhero is coming to the series. Transgender activist Nicole Maines (Royal Pains, The Trans List) is set as a regular in the upcoming fourth season as Nia Nal, aka Dreamer. In addition, April Parker Jones (Jericho, The Last Ship) has been cast as series regular Colonel Haley and David Ajala (Dr. Who, Night flyers) will recur as Manchester Black.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/supergi...la-1202430870/

Comment

• Great a transgender person. I knew it was just a matter of time before Greg Berlanti and co pushed one of them count given's expressed in the past his desire to do so and oh the ever typical "Well it's good for the kids." expressed by the person playing the character. No it most certainly is not good for the kids or anybody else, and for regarding's the kids they don't need this stuff screwing them up.

I hope Greg with his shows take an even bigger hit wit more and more people quit watching them with them doing this stuff.

Comment

• I'm going to take the other side of the argument and submit that it is beneficial for kids and adults to see positive and neutral portrayals of transgender characters in shows & films.

While it's hard to get an estimate of the transgender population in U.S., a recent estimate puts the number at 1.4 million or 0.6% of the population (https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/h...opulation.html) Transgender people are part of the fabric of our society.They participate in our institutions. They are students, they are workers, they are members of families and have families. They are patients and customers. In short, they exist and participate in our society, and rightly so. I am aware of no study that demonstrates that transgenders, as a class, are reprehensible evil people who should be kept segregated from the general public, or that they are any deserving of lesser treatment than other people. Therefore, it is in society's best interests that we become used to the fact that transgender people exist, and one way to do so is through including portrayals of them in tv shows and films.

This is specifically beneficial for a kid, for instance, b/c let's say you have a kid growing up in a small, town and the kid is never exposed to the idea of a transgender person. The kid grows up, moves to the big city and is excited about taking a job in a particular field (fill-in-the-blank) or institution. The kid could very well end up either working for or working alongside a transgender person -- therefore, it is in that kid's best interest to have developed a better understanding and tolerance of the fact that people can be different and that being different, in and of itself, does not automatically translate into being a "bad" person. By developing such a viewpoint, the kid will then be better prepared and able to go out in the world and function effectively alongside other people in a way that is productive for himself/herself, for the people around him/her and for society at large.

Comment

• Have a ton of respect for Sam Witwer ever since he appeared on Smallville 10 years ago (where he got a raw deal in the end). IMO, he's an underrated actor and this casting announcement might have lured me back to watching the show.

But then came the news about the transgender character to remind me why I quit watching for good. And no, not because I have an issue with the LGBT community, but once again I'm left to wonder if these are tv shows or public service announcements. If I want a lecture on real life issues, it won't be a from a Greg Berlanti show.

Regarding the kids, it's a touchy one. I don't have any kids of my own and I honestly can't say how I would feel about letting them watch a show or movie featuring a transgender character. Personally speaking, the first time I watched such a movie I was 11 and I was too naive to get traumatized, shocked or what have you. But maybe I was an exception and other kids might have reacted differently. Who knows? I don't think we can ever say for sure how a kid will react about such sensitive issues when they are primarily watching a superhero show for the action, the super powers, the jokes, etc.
                              Last edited by costas22; 07-22-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelby Kent
                                I'm going to take the other side of the argument and submit that it is beneficial for kids and adults to see positive and neutral portrayals of transgender characters in shows & films.

While it's hard to get an estimate of the transgender population in U.S., a recent estimate puts the number at 1.4 million or 0.6% of the population (https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/h...opulation.html) Transgender people are part of the fabric of our society.They participate in our institutions. They are students, they are workers, they are members of families and have families. They are patients and customers. In short, they exist and participate in our society, and rightly so. I am aware of no study that demonstrates that transgenders, as a class, are reprehensible evil people who should be kept segregated from the general public, or that they are any deserving of lesser treatment than other people. Therefore, it is in society's best interests that we become used to the fact that transgender people exist, and one way to do so is through including portrayals of them in tv shows and films.

This is specifically beneficial for a kid, for instance, b/c let's say you have a kid growing up in a small, town and the kid is never exposed to the idea of a transgender person. The kid grows up, moves to the big city and is excited about taking a job in a particular field (fill-in-the-blank) or institution. The kid could very well end up either working for or working alongside a transgender person -- therefore, it is in that kid's best interest to have developed a better understanding and tolerance of the fact that people can be different and that being different, in and of itself, does not automatically translate into being a "bad" person. By developing such a viewpoint, the kid will then be better prepared and able to go out in the world and function effectively alongside other people in a way that is productive for himself/herself, for the people around him/her and for society at large.
                                ITA...You hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by costas22
                                But then came the news about the transgender character to remind me why I quit watching for good. And no, not because I have an issue with the LGBT community, but once again I'm left to wonder if these are tv shows or public service announcements. If I want a lecture on real life issues, it won't be a from a Greg Berlanti show.

Regarding the kids, it's a touchy one. I don't have any kids of my own and I honestly can't say how I would feel about letting them watch a show or movie featuring a transgender character. Personally speaking, the first time I watched such a movie I was 11 and I was too naive to get traumatized, shocked or what have you. But maybe I was an exception and other kids might have reacted differently. Who knows? I don't think we can ever say for sure how a kid will react about such sensitive issues when they are primarily watching a superhero show for the action, the super powers, the jokes, etc.
                                I think what they’re trying to accomplish with these shows is to have a sense of inclusion amongst everybody. “A hero can be anyone”, which is already in itself a PSA. There really isn’t a way around it.

And in this age of social media and today’s political climate, kids are much more in the know than people think. They are exposed to things that when I was younger I didn’t know about. A show like this is probably a good option to at least to start a dialogue and yes, this show doesn’t have to do it either.
                                Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-22-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎