Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Rogues' Gallery?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that Barbara most definitely has some character flaws, and she's done some things I didn't agree with. I'm not yet at the point of disliking her, though, and I admit that that has something to do with the attractiveness of Erin Richards. That said, though, we are only midway through season one. I may change my mind if we are subjected to bad behavior from her for five seasons or more.

I will say I think she has a place on the show since I think seeing some of Gordon's personal life every now and then to go along with the main police stories is a good thing. It makes for a more enjoyable story for me. It would be nice if they took the angsty drama of the relationship down a few notches, though.
    Last edited by Lois_Lane_Fan; 04-04-2015, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan
      I agree that Barbara most definitely has some character flaws, and she's done some things I didn't agree with. I'm not yet at the point of disliking her, though, and I admit that that has something to do with the attractiveness of Erin Richards. That said, though, we are only midway through season one. I may change my mind if we are subjected to bad behavior from her for five seasons or more.

I will say I think she has a place on the show since I think seeing some of Gordon's personal life every now and then to go along with the main police stories. It makes for a more enjoyable story for me. It would be nice if they took the angsty drama of the relationship down a few notches, though.
      I think her character has a lot of potential, but I think you hit the nail on the head in the last line. I'm just so glad this show is on Fox and not the CW, or it would be nothing but tears and drama, secrets and lies.

In a lot of ways, this show is pretty unique. It's got a lot of elements of various types of shows. I keep thinking of it as a colorful hybrid of the Sopranos and CSI: New York. Surprisingly, being a show about Gotham City, the comical elements really take a backseat to it being a cop drama. Barbara's character probably creates some headaches for writers. Personal story arcs have never jived too well with traditional cop dramas, but Gotham is hardly traditional.

I think it will be interesting to see how they incorporate her in the show. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Gordon's personal life as long as it doesn't seem shoehorned into the show just for the sake of incorporating an original character. I also wouldn't mind knowing a little bit about her background. Her character is very flat with the exception of her dramatic outbursts. I keep wondering how a detective can afford that penthouse, and thinking that it's actually Barbara's apartment. I can't remember if they explained what she does for a living, or if she comes from a wealthy family. If her backstory tied into some of the more exciting plot lines, that might make her a little more interesting.

I'm just worried they're going to take the easy route with Barbra. My prediction: she's kidnapped by one of the mob families, and her exgirlfiend and Gordon are forced to reconcile their differences to save her. The old damsel in distress trope. Blah. I'd rather find out she has some twisted past, or she comes from some rich family so we can see some lavish parties full of nasty WASPs being naughty.

Comment

I'm more than relieved that Gotham isn't a CW show, because they'd totally hype the melodramatic angles with Jim and Barbara. At least they've scaled back the secrets n lies subplot they had going earlier between them. I'm also hoping Barbara seeking refuge with her "eccentric" parents means we'll get some insight into Gotham's elites/ruling class -- there is potential in giving her a subplot all her own as opposed to being tied to Jim's all the time. Let's hope it doesn't turn into Barbara refusing to reply to Jim's texts and it devolves into a soapy mess. (I've had my fill with Clark and Lana's sudsy, extra-lathered plots on Smallville -- Jim and Barbara can keep their ship issues off-screen, thanks. )

Her character won't be going anywhere soon as she is a canon character and they will raise a family somewhere down the line, so we can only hope they have a half-decent story arc in mind for her specifically.

I think they have a pretty good handle on their rise of Penguin/mob brewing civil war story arcs. It is a network show so it does have a bit of a scatter-shot, something-for-everyone feel to it with the police procedural stuff (hit-and-miss), some sudsy soap stuff with Jim/Barbara and a bit of Falcone/Liza and the intrigue with the mob subplots. The sum of its parts together work for me overall.

I'm also more than relieved the series is its own universe and unlikely to have any direct crossovers with its CW superhero cousins. Det. Gordon is unavailable to take your call, Mr. Queen and Mr. Allen. If you have a non-melodrama related message for him, please leave a number. He's very busy. He'll get back to you. (Or not.)

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎