Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    New In Town
    Join Date
    Jun 14
    Posts
    16

    Arrow Season 3: How see its theme being manifested so far in the season?

    As you might know the the writers, producers and showrunners of Arrow have said that Season 3 is dealing with the theme of identity. Here are the people whom they have said will be struggling with the issue of Identity:


    Oliver- Can I be both Oliver Queen and the Arrow?
    Laurel - Am I Laurel, or Am I my sister?

    Thea Queen - Am I Thea Queen or Am I Thea Merlyn? Am I Malcolm Merlyn’s daughter or am I Moira Queen’s daughter.

    Diggle - Am I a sidekick or am I my own man? Am I a crime fighter or am I a father?

    Felicity - Am I Oliver’s crush object or do I have my own identity outside of that. Do I exist outside the lair?

    How have all of you seen them struggle with their identity crisis so far in the show?
    Last edited by Christ2010Grad; 04-07-2015 at 04:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    Some where in the Untied States
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ2010Grad View Post
    As you might know the the writers, producers and showrunners of Arrow have said that Season 3 is dealing with the theme of identity. Here are the people whom they have said will be struggling with the issue of Identity:


    Oliver- Can I be both Oliver Queen and the Arrow?
    Laurel - Am I Laurel, or Am I my sister?

    Thea Queen - Am I Thea Queen or Am I Thea Merlyn? Am I Malcolm Merlyn’s daughter or am I Moira Queen’s daughter.

    Diggle - Am I a sidekick or am I my own man? Am I a crime fighter or am I a father?

    Felicity - Am I Oliver’s crush object or do I have my own identity outside of that. Do I exist outside the lair?

    How have all of you seen them struggle with their identity crisis so far in the show?
    I'd say yes we have seen it with all of them. Thea probably is the most we've seen of her struggle is in the Corto Maltese episode then the rest of her most prominent stuff besides the episode 9 was with that moron DJ. (I don't like the character) Something tells me when the show comes back were going to get a lot more focus on the other character's struggles.

  3. #3
    Settling In
    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggard01 View Post
    I'd say yes we have seen it with all of them. Thea probably is the most we've seen of her struggle is in the Corto Maltese episode then the rest of her most prominent stuff besides the episode 9 was with that moron DJ. (I don't like the character) Something tells me when the show comes back were going to get a lot more focus on the other character's struggles.
    You are spot on. There have been complaints that this season is sluggish. It is true that they have been a tad slow building all the various threads... but I think part of that is that you'll need Ras as a catalyst for a lot of them....

    The Malcolm/Thea plot has to be kick-started by Ras and the League... Malcolm used his daughter as a chess piece to remove the threat of the League. (Once Oliver died I believe the blood debt of Sara's murder has been wiped out, at least to Ras).

    Oliver's death at Ras's hand obviously will kick Ollie's own struggle into high gear- after he rises, I will almost guarantee that he'll drive Oliver Queen more into the background and only focus on the Arrow, till Felicity pulls him back. Which leads me to her....

    Felicity is now struggling not only with her love for Oliver but I bet her questioning of "why do I keep getting attracted to men who want to be superheroes?" She'll struggle with helping Ray be the Atom, but eventually realize she belong back with Oliver...

    Speaking of Ray... oh boy...... here's what I see... He'll become Atom... and get his ass utterly destroyed in his 1st couple fights....his journey will be.. a suit does not a hero make...

  4. #4
    New In Town
    Join Date
    Jun 14
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue View Post
    You are spot on. There have been complaints that this season is sluggish. It is true that they have been a tad slow building all the various threads... but I think part of that is that you'll need Ras as a catalyst for a lot of them....

    The Malcolm/Thea plot has to be kick-started by Ras and the League... Malcolm used his daughter as a chess piece to remove the threat of the League. (Once Oliver died I believe the blood debt of Sara's murder has been wiped out, at least to Ras).

    Oliver's death at Ras's hand obviously will kick Ollie's own struggle into high gear- after he rises, I will almost guarantee that he'll drive Oliver Queen more into the background and only focus on the Arrow, till Felicity pulls him back. Which leads me to her....

    Felicity is now struggling not only with her love for Oliver but I bet her questioning of "why do I keep getting attracted to men who want to be superheroes?" She'll struggle with helping Ray be the Atom, but eventually realize she belong back with Oliver...

    Speaking of Ray... oh boy...... here's what I see... He'll become Atom... and get his ass utterly destroyed in his 1st couple fights....his journey will be.. a suit does not a hero make...
    Besides, we don't know what Ra's Al Ghul's evil plan is yet. I'm sure we will find that out down the line. Hopefully Oliver won't stay dead forever and will be back to life by at least by the 11th or 12th episode, maybe the 13th. I don't think I can handle not seeing Oliver for again in the present day till the end of the Season.

  5. #5
    Settling In
    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ2010Grad View Post
    Besides, we don't know what Ra's Al Ghul's evil plan is yet. I'm sure we will find that out down the line. Hopefully Oliver won't stay dead forever and will be back to life by at least by the 11th or 12th episode, maybe the 13th. I don't think I can handle not seeing Oliver for again in the present day till the end of the Season.
    From what I understand... we return with Ep 10- that is a 3 ep arc about Laurel becoming Black Canary... Ep 13 is titled "The Return".. so read into that what you will

  6. #6
    Site Groupie President_Luthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Posts
    3,027
    Identity is going to be a central theme in S3. Everyone is trying to define themselves, or re-define themselves. We're going to see a lot of this with the secondary characters during Ollie's absence. Ollie himself will be figuring out if he has become more "The Arrow" now, or if he still sees "Oliver Queen" as an important part of his identity.

    I'm hoping Roy and Thea esp. benefit the most from this in the second half.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    106
    one thing im wondering about with the second half of the season is it possible we could see oliver deciding to hang up the bow, after the defeat by ras, and other heroes defending the city, could we see him decide not to be the arrow and instead be oliver queen, go after his company and possibly run for mayor like in the comics??? it would only be temporary for sure but the defeat he suffered might be humbling, and might make him take a step back with all the other heroes and say "does this city still need me as the Arrow? or does it need me as something else?"

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    499
    yeah i reckon after Oliver comes back from the dead Felicity will realise that she belongs to team arrow and loves Oliver... and this will be enough time for Ray/Atom to realise about being a hero.

  9. #9
    New In Town
    Join Date
    Jun 14
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by screamthepoetry View Post
    one thing im wondering about with the second half of the season is it possible we could see oliver deciding to hang up the bow, after the defeat by ras, and other heroes defending the city, could we see him decide not to be the arrow and instead be oliver queen, go after his company and possibly run for mayor like in the comics??? it would only be temporary for sure but the defeat he suffered might be humbling, and might make him take a step back with all the other heroes and say "does this city still need me as the Arrow? or does it need me as something else?"
    I highly doubt that is going to happen.

  10. #10
    Forum Whiz Carmine-Infantino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    835
    Unless they recast the wildcat role we won't be seeing anymore of Ted Grant this season, as the actor has been cast on a different show. I suppose that could affect the plans they have for Laurel the rest of the season.

  11. #11
    New In Town
    Join Date
    Jun 14
    Posts
    16
    Now that Arrow has returned from its midseason hiatus, how do you see the theme of identity being display so far?

  12. #12
    New In Town
    Join Date
    Jun 14
    Posts
    16
    I wonder how @Amarice and everyone else has been seeing this theme identity crisis being so far into the season?
    Last edited by Christ2010Grad; 04-07-2015 at 04:13 PM.

  13. #13
    Forum Whiz Amarice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ2010Grad View Post
    I wonder how @Amarice and everyone else has been seeing this theme identity crisis being so far into the season?
    I think the biggest identity crisis have the showrunners and the screenwriters. It's too late to change anything in the season 3, as they are almost finished with shoting the final episode I believe, but before they move on to making the season 4 they should really sit down and remind themselves what that show used to be. And stop turning a good action show into a melodrama crap.

    As for the identity - it seems that all of the characters from the team have issues about their double life. But the show doesn't really address it too good. Particulary when it comes to the main hero. At the beginning of the season, maybe (Oliver Queen vs. the Arrow), later, when he was talking with Barry and confessing that he feels as if he was trading away pieces of Oliver Queen - not the best lines of dialogue, but still I enjoyed a moment between the Arrow and the Flash. Now he can't be the Arrow any more, so who he is? I still hope that the remaining episodes of the season 3 are going to be at least decent and deal more with the main hero's rocky road to become Green Arrow eventually.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •