View Poll Results: Rate This Episode

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Like a boomerang I want this episode to come back.

8 28.57%

6 21.43%

5 17.86%

2 7.14%

2 7.14%

2 7.14%

1 3.57%

1 3.57%

0 0%
  • 1 - Cupid is Stupid

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Draw Back Your Bow?

What did you think?

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    I loved it.

I liked Cupid and now she is the craziest member of the Suicide Squad. I liked the first look at Ray Palmer's suit even if it was just a holographic projection. First look at Captain Boomerang was awesome.

New In Town
    It has been a long time that I have truly enjoyed an episode of Arrow. It is a great show, but I actually prefer the lighter tone of The Flash better. But this episode had a right amount of comic-book antics and character development, especially considering Cupid came off creepy. And Oliver recommended her to the Suicide Squad?! I forget that the older, wiser Oliver, still knows nothing about women. You gave her to Waller?! Okay, I'm done now.

What probably made me enjoy the episode is the focus on the three original members of Team Arrow. John Diggle is once again the voice of reason. While how Oliver is reacting to the news that Ray and Felicity are having a work dinner is not Felicity's fault, Diggle at least wanted Felicity to know that Oliver does have feelings for her. Diggle cares about both of them, but Diggle definitely was looking out more for Oliver. Oliver is the one with a short fuse. Oliver is the one who continues to make poor decisions in all areas of his life, and Oliver is the one that needs his head in the game.

I think Diggle knows that Felicity will be fine in her life with or without Team Arrow. It's Oliver who needs them more. Diggle is usually his voice of reason and Felicity keeps the darkness away, even before the shipping starting. Both characters ground Oliver and give him a reason to have a life outside the mask. Without one or both of them, Oliver would not be able to survive.

Roy similarly forces Oliver to look outside himself, but the two characters are too much alike to save each other from their respective costume identities. Roy needs "Arsenal" just as much as Oliver needs "Arrow". At the moment, Oliver needs to be the one to save Roy from becoming the man that Oliver is now: a lonely life.

Back to the episode, I enjoyed the brotherly relationship between the Oliver and Roy and John and Oliver, the older brother of each duo trying to help their little brother. It was a nice moment to see Oliver go to have dinner with the Diggle Family, bringing Roy along. Given what Roy recently found out, he needs family right now more than Oliver, as Oliver is the cause of his own pain.

Utterly horrendous and pointless. Pains me to say, but there were few, if any, redeeming qualities. The flashbacks have become boring, Malcolm doesn't appear as a series regular and 99% of Diggle's existence seems to revolve around Olicity. As does almost everything on this show these days.

4/10. Could have been worse were it not for Amy Gumenick.
    Last edited by costas22; 11-20-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Forum Regular
    i think the episode was awesome!! i was really looking forward to this weeks episode and i was not dissapointed to say the least . so it gets a solid 9/10... I really like how Oliver and Roy have the big brother-little brother relationship and they are both looking out for eachtoher when they are both pissed off. I also liked it how Oliver and Roy and Diggle are like bro's now and that Roy essentially has a family where he knows he belongs and has a purpose and i really am enojoying and getting happy when Roy is on camera now compared to last season! i truely think that the producers got the perfect grasp on his character and how to use him perfectly. The flashbacks this week was awesome as 'Katana'/Tatsu kicked ass against those mob guys! she went to work with those epic samuria sword skills! i am looking forward to seeing how the prodcers flesh out the her character and i think that Tatsu and Oliver are starting to reach a good relationship agreement... Cupid was efcourse super awesome! and i really like how they developed her character, but she seemed a little too crazy at some points in the episode, and i defintely think we will be seeing more of her again (so i don't classify her as the next 'villian-of-the-week). Thea was a bit annoying and her new love interest/Dj guy was seriously random and out of place and unexplained, but whatever. The Olicity relationship nearly seemed forced, but it needed to happen so Oliver could open up his eyes to Felicity and finally get a grasp on his feelings for her, and it was good to see Oliver loose control of his emotions and explode from jealousy (which we have never really seen jelously been played from Oliver before). I'm half half and 50/50 about how Ray feels about Felicity, as it feels somewhat forced, but it also makes a bit of sense as they really do connect as they understand eachother well and draw to eachother in a way... all in all, a great all round episode!

Forum Whiz
    Except for Cupid that was a pretty poor episode. There was something very off in the scene between Diggle and Felicity at Palmer Technologies but I can't place what it was. Maybe it just felt forced.

The Cupid storyline was also resolved too easily and quickly.

Also out of seven episodes, Malcolm's appeared in three and one of them very briefly. I do hope we see more of him soon.

That boomerang was awesome!

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    Utterly horrendous and pointless. Pains me to say, but there were few, if any, redeeming qualities. The flashbacks have become boring, Malcolm doesn't appear as a series regular and 99% of Diggle's existence seems to revolve around Olicity. As does almost everything on this show these days.

4/10. Could have been worse were it not for Amy Gumenick.
    Can I join you with my own rant? I haven't posted here for a while, and I'm sorry if I seem very negative, but these are just my own impressions/feelings, not a definitive last word on this ep.
    I am known as a Laurel fan and I did miss her, but her absence was actually the least problem with this episode. Everything in this ep just felt oddly off and fake (apart from the flashbacks, which were OK), almost as if the writers intended to make "Draw back your bow" look like a parody of their own season one and two writing.

The only saving grace (for me at least) was actually Felicity/Emily, who looked absolutely lovely and did a good job in all her scenes. Of course, Felicity's sudden interest in haute coutoure and expensive necklaces seemed pretty OOC for her geeky/serious/genius MIT persona, but I guess that was in tune with the "Pretty Woman" scenario between her and Ray. I also find her sudden readiness to get into a liplock with Ray a bit puzzling, because there hasn't been that much build up (though she looked pretty dazzled when he did his salmon ladder thing!). Apart from that I really enjoyed her acting in the Ray/Felicity scenes, as well as her reply to Diggle when he tried to get her back with Oliver. I actually get the feeling that she is over her infatuation with Ollie, and that she is starting to take charge of her life and behave like a woman who realizes that she has plenty of other choices than waiting around for a man who cannot commit to her.

Apart from that, the whole ep seemed more like a poorly scripted, poorly acted soap opera with a bit of kick-ass action than the show I fell in love with in season one. I'm not an Olicity shipper, and maybe I have an overly negative bias, but the whole Felicity/Oliver romance plotline felt mostly like the writers were going through the motions of giving the Olicity shippers what they want, without really putting their heart into it.

And TBH, I felt the same about Stephen's performance. It's as if he was just pretending to be the heart-broken, conflicted lover because it was in the script, rather than really working to let the viewers feel his pain. Stephen is no ideal romantic lover, but IMHO he was a great deal better with his more transient love interests, like McKenna or Helena. I would even say that he was better in many of his early scenes with Laurel/Katie (despite their alleged lack of chemistry). Just compare his scene with Laurel outside Verdant in 1X18 (when Oliver asks her to rekindle their friendship), where you could really feel his despair, with the scene in the Foundry in this ep, which was supposed to portray the same frustration and despair ("I can't be with anyone I love" epic mainpain). Despite all the close-ups of the love fern he just didn't convince me. All I can say is that if the writers are serious about making Olicity their endgame couple, they are IMHO doing a damned poor job so far, which can't really be their intention.

I'm not going to delve into the Diggle relationship consultant thing. Diggle has always functioned as someone who tries to make Oliver open up about his emotional issues, so that wasn't really the problem. The problem was the soap opera-ish execution of these scenes, and the way Diggle was used to hammer in just HOW MUCH Ollie loves and needs Felicity. The whole thing truly made him look like a parody of the "Diggle the shipper fanboy" tumblr memes and metas. It is a misuse of an interesting character and a fine actor to reduce his role to a go-between in the Oliver/Felicity drama.

As for the Cupid storyline and the snotty DJ, I am not even going to comment, because they were so bad. I will only say that I expect the Laurel detractors to comment on the fact that a psycho ex-policewoman without any apparent expertise in martial arts can take down badass "trained on an island/Hongkong/Russia for five years" Oliver Queen (and Roy/Arsenal as well)!! Just as with Laurel, it seems that Ollie's fighting prowess varies according to the needs of the plot...in some eps he can take down ten full-sized men, but in this ep crazy Carrie was apparently too good a fighter for him.

It also puzzled me when Hongkong Oliver said he didn't know how to wash his own clothes. Does this mean that he spent a year on the Island without ever washing his clothes?? Even if it is an insignificant detail, it is just another example of the sloppy, shoddy writing in this ep.

Sorry about the rant, but like "costas22" I think that "Cupid" was the low point so far, and it doesn't have anything to do with the absence of Ted or Laurel. It would have been bad even if they had had their own storyline.

I don't expect people to agree with me, nor do I pretend that I transmit the gospel truth about this episode. These are just my personal feelings. "Arrow" is the first show that I've been near-obsessed with for a long time, and I'm just really disappointed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post

Apart from that, the whole ep seemed more like a poorly scripted, poorly acted soap opera with a bit of kick-ass action than the show I fell in love with in season one. I'm not an Olicity shipper, and maybe I have an overly negative bias, but the whole Felicity/Oliver romance plotline felt mostly like the writers were going through the motions of giving the Olicity shippers what they want, without really putting their heart into it.
    That's the worrying part. It feels like a different show. And not just in terms of storyline and the obvious shift towards Olicity. The quality level has dropped compared to the first two seasons. Whether it's characterization (which was never Arrow's strong point anyway), the dialogue or the acting. It just feels off. I'm certain episodes 3.08 and 3.09 will be vastly better. But why did they burn through the first third of the season like this? I mean, if you switched off after Sara's plunge in the Calm and switched on for Flash vs Arrow, would you have missed anything?

Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    It also puzzled me when Hongkong Oliver said he didn't know how to wash his own clothes. Does this mean that he spent a year on the Island without ever washing his clothes?? Even if it is an insignificant detail, it is just another example of the sloppy, shoddy writing in this ep.
    I always suspected that Oliver never washed his clothes on the island for the simple reason that he wore the same stuff all the time. And there's the proof.

Honestly, I watch the show for its pure entertainment value. I do not try to analyze relationships, characters etc. i watch it pretty much on a one-dimensional level. Each week, on this basis, the show delivers for me.

Seven episodes in, and finally a decent episode. When Sara went over that building's edge she seems to have taken the show with her. Season 3 has been A bit of a waste so far, they've wasted John Barrowman by not using him enough, same thing with Brandon Routh. Why are they wasting time on another Canary when they could have used that time on Malcolm and Ray. Ask yourself, would the show be better or worse if they sent Laurel away for a season or two to train with the league. I contend Laurel wouldn't be missed if she left, and then the show could spend more time on new, fresher characters.

Forum Whiz
    One highlight (one of the very few in this episode) was the flushing out of Cupid, we got to know who she was and what motivated her so that she wasn't just some random villian of the week like Komodo. Something also nice to see was Oliver doing most of the research for who was behind the attack himself yet still acknowledging a need for Felicity's help, I wasn't thrilled about how it was twisted to show Oliver being jealous of Felicity for having a love life not involving him. I agree with evaba that some random SWAT member with 5 cans shy of a six pack was able to easily take down Roy didn't sit well with me but I can see Oliver having troubles taking her down since he wasn't willing to actually hurt her.

Diggle was pushing Olicity to hard for my taste, convincing Oliver that he can have a relationship and still be the Arrow is one thing, trying with no holds barred to hook up to very specific people gauls me. Ray I actually enjoyed this episode aside from the salmon ladder, that seemed to be a poor attempt for eye candy and sexual tension. Could've been just as easily attained with him doing situps or other exercise instead of showing him dangeling from a bar. Chase was obnoxious and arrogant while appearing to be to young to be allowed in a place that serves alcohol, I'll have to wait to see where his character goes.

Overall again a throw away episode for my taste, definately not a highlight for the series.

Felicity is a money chasing you know what. First the Flash, then Oliver and now Palmer. Time for her to die on the show. She's no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowaddict22 View Post
    Honestly, I watch the show for its pure entertainment value. I do not try to analyze relationships, characters etc. i watch it pretty much on a one-dimensional level. Each week, on this basis, the show delivers for me.
    Agree. Some take these shows far to seriously. Just like they did with Smallville.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowaddict22 View Post
    Same here I don't have any huge expectations going into the episode and I'm never dissatisfied with any episode that is why I always give each one a ten.

The only thing that I actually critique and have higher expectations of are video games.

Forum Regular
    No Arrow next week?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast