Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Penguin's Umbrella?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Penguin's Umbrella?"

No mods to create a thread? *cough*

Anyway, what did you think of tonight's show?
    10 - Umbrella of Greatness
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - This show is all wet.
    0%

Brilliant. Best episode of the series until now.

Comment

This is the episode where everything started coming together so I would have to say it is the best episode so far.

Comment

This episode was fun as hell. Still hate Barbara's character, but other than that... I'm in love. Great great great episode.

Comment

I gave it a 10 for the first time, ever.

This was probably the best episode since the pilot. However, I did find the beginning – with Jim and Barbara – to be a little too melodramatic. Barbara said she wanted to stay and Jim sniped back, "That's why I need you to leave!" It felt too much like a soap opera.

But, the episode succeeded because you really got a sense of how high the stakes were, and the action sequences were very good for primetime – at least in my opinion.

Much to my surprise, I REALLY enjoyed Jada Pinkett-Smith's performance as Fish. She managed to be menacing while still giving off a larger-than-life aura, which is exactly how I've wanted her to be.

As for the reveal with Penguin, I'm sure his partnership with Falcone won't last long. A snitch for life? I don't think so. While I agree with some online recaps that this "twist" was somewhat predictable, it really put things into perspective thus far, like why Falcone was never worried about any of the goings-on with Gordon/Bullock or Fish/Nikolai.

The tension between Penguin and Fish was palpable, though, and I can't wait to see what happens when they (apparently) meet up next week.

With all that said, the weakest link is still Barbara, but: I'm glad they resolved Montoya's issues with Gordon, at least for now – because it was getting so old feeling like she had a chip on her shoulder over Barbara. I'm sure the actress was tired of playing something so one-note, too.

Overall, a great episode.
          Last edited by Aries83; 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Definitely the best so far. I was interested in every minute of it. I figured Penguin had no loyalty to Maroni and was just playing the parties against each other, but I didn't have him pegged as an actual snitch for Falcone. I'm sure his plan is still to pit them all against each other and emerge on top, but now we know he's not in danger of Falcone's wrath. No wonder he wasn't afraid to come out in the open.

Barbara...*sigh* I figured she'd come back.

Was Zsasz played by the same guy that played the Mist on The Flash? If so, he was much better here. A lot of that has to do with better writing, but he was good here.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
              Was Zsasz played by the same guy that played the Mist on The Flash? If so, he was much better here. A lot of that has to do with better writing, but he was good here.
              Yes and yes.

Comment

I continue to be impressed by Gotham. Seeing Penguin playing all sides in the brewing mob war is a definite highlight. Again, I'm pleased that Bruce has carved a role for himself in this, alluding to his detective future. The cops wanted to treat him like a child, but he's no ordinary child -- he's a Wayne.

I like that they're using Bat villain shout-outs sparingly, so it was cool to see Zsasz emerge as a Falcone enforcer. It was also cool to see the brash side of Alfred with his manhandling of Allen.

Barbara still seems to be playing out a story arc that belongs on another show, with its roots in secrets, lies and melodrama -- it's something I might expect on a CW series. This is a minor beef since the bulk of the episode was great.

Comment

Holy United Kingdom, Batman! Erin Richards is Welsh?

Comment

Lords of the DC universe, save us from CW-style soapiness! No worries so far though--they seem to be keeping that to a minimum. More Makenzie Leigh! Ok, I admit to liking eye candy :-) It's great that Bullock is getting some depth of character--Donal Logue is a great actor IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎