Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of The Magician?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of The Magician?

What did you think?
    10 - It was Rahs Al Good.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Abracadabra POOF This Episode has vanished.
    0%

No poll?

I loved it. I liked the fight between Ollie, Nyssa, and Merlyn. I also liked seeing Ra's al Ghul and Nanda Parbat. Loved that we finally learned who Fyers boss was and that the reason she wanted to shoot down the plane was to kill Chien Na Wei (China White.)

Comment

Theres a poll. maybe you looked at the thread before i added one. should be there if you refresh. Unless something went wrong somewhere. :/

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
        Theres a poll. maybe you looked at the thread before i added one. should be there if you refresh. Unless something went wrong somewhere. :/
        I tried to edit my post but it wasn't working.

I started posting that before you made the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
          I tried to edit my post but it wasn't working.

I started posting that before you made the poll.
          o ok. whats wrong with the editing? is the edit page not loading or anything?

Comment

Enjoyed it as Team Arrow is gelling more and more, even without Felicity, and this episode is a look of what it would look like without her.

I wished Nyssa joined Team Arrow, but her and Oliver are on different sides of the fence over avenging Sarah's death.

The reveal with Ra's Al Ghul shows that things will go down up to at least the mid-season finale.

I take it China White will return for a flashback.

Comment

So now we know how Starling City becomes Star City. Ra's is gonna torch that city to the ground.

Loved the LOA location.

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
                o ok. whats wrong with the editing? is the edit page not loading or anything?
                It was loading but I just could post my edit it was taking too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                  It was loading but I just could post my edit it was taking too long.
                  Oh ok wasnt sure if something was wrong with the site or if it was just a random thing on your end. I know how annoying that can be tho.

Anyway I liked the episode and cant wait to see what happens with Rahs.

Comment

Ok. So I'm guessing the Oliver and Malcolm scene in the street was the five years in the making. Funny it didn't seam like something they have been planning for that long. Anyhow that was real well done scene along with a lot of them. Which I guess it didn't surprise me that Merlyn was the killer considering it was to easy. Now it seams like the Ras' A Gul is the main culprit with how that certain things were explained. The action stuff was done well. It almost wired and nice at the same time to see Oliver and Malcolm fighting side by side.

Roy finally is starting to seam like he has a purpose which I'm actually enjoying seeing him. I also like this knew version of Thea. (Her ties with Malcolm are going to blow up in her face) Besides not telling lance I'm happy that laurel is getting some serious procession. For me it may never me worth it to see Sara die for it but to see Laurel finally get a better story it's about time. Also glad on how they showed the team operating with out Felicity for a change.

Now Ras A Gul well I think we have been waiting since season 1 for this guy to show up and it was a very well done entrance. Hong Kong returned which I'm happy to see those flashbacks again along with Waller reveled to be behind Fyers was not surprising however her target was China White was. (Despite the fact is we knew she was coming) So all in all 10/10.

Comment

My review (cross-posted):
                      I'm much more familiar with Ra's al Ghul's other daughter, Talia, but I have to say that I REALLY like the character of Nyssa. The way she plays off of Team Arrow as a whole - and Oliver in particular - reminds me very much of the way her sister played off of Bruce in Batman: The Animated Series (which, incidentally, was not only my first exposure to her character, but to her father as well, and is what cemented him as my favorite Batman villain ever [more on that in a bit]). I also really enjoyed the way she played off of both Quentin and Laurel, and am really hoping that, despite whatever happens with Starling City and her (Nyssa's) father, she can come back to help Laurel take the final steps towards becoming Sara's successor as the new (Black) Canary.

Sticking with the al Ghul family, Ra's al Ghul is, as mentioned above, my favorite Batman villain and has been ever since Batman: The Animated Series introduced me to him (as is also mentioned above), and, even in his brief appearance at the end of tonight's episode, he's reminding me far more of BTAS Ra's than the Nolan version of the character, which, I suspect, is the version that a lot of other people are going to immediately think of. I have a sneaky suspicion that he knows far more about Sara's death than he's trying to pretend that he does, and I also have a sneaky suspicion that he's 'playing all the angles' as far as setting up a potential war between the League and Oliver.

Also, while we're on the subject of Ra's, I'd like to bring up the League's connection to Malcolm and his (Ra's's) objection to Malcolm's exploits in Arrow Season 1. Malcolm's tactics in Season 1 might've been learned from the League, but I don't think it's at all out of character for Ra's to be opposed to those methods being used completely unsanctioned, particularly since I get the sense that this version of the character is going to be far more in line with the aforementioned BTAS version of the character than Christopher Nolan's version of the character (whom I also really adored) was, which also makes me wish that Liam Neeson had been available to play this new version of the character.

Since I've already brought him up, let's talk about Malcolm. He made the perfect Big Bad for Season 1, and has continued to add to the show every time he's appeared since then. He may very well be telling the truth about not killing Sara, but he's still continuing to manipulate people, and it's going to be really interesting to see what happens if/when war breaks out between Oliver and the League and what role he might play in such a situation. I'm also really intrigued by just what his 'endgame' is as far as Thea is concerned (since he clearly has one).

Speaking of Thea, I really like how she's essentially become Oliver circa Season 1, lying to everybody around her while living a double life (although, in this case, she's living the double life of being in direct contact with Malcolm rather than, in Oliver's case, living the double life of The Hood). It offers a nice counterpoint to Oliver's continued journey forward, and is going to make for some really interesting storytelling if and when Oliver finally finds out the truth.

Going from Thea to Team Arrow, I really liked the way that we saw the 'boys' working together without their female 'wingman' (Felicity), mainly because it frees up the writers to keep giving her stories that keep her separated from the 'boys' without 'upsetting the balance' of things narratively. I AM surprised that they actually showed her returning to Starling in this episode because it didn't feel at all like she'd been gone for 2-3 days (which is how long she spent in Central City), but that's really neither here nor there.

Before I finish this review, I should mention the Hong Kong Oliver flashbacks. Up until now, I really didn't feel like they were adding all that much to the season's narrative, but with the revelation of who was giving Fyers his marching orders, things became immediately relevant, and I'm suddenly interested to see where else this particular storyline is going to be going and if there will be any further loose ends from previous seasons tied up because of it.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season both in terms of the present storyline and, thanks to the flashback revelations from tonight's episode, the rest of the Hong Kong flashback storyline, and can't wait to see what happens next. I'm also really intrigued to find out more about Felicity's backstory.

Comment

I didn't think that Malcom killed Sara. I am wondering who did as I was thinking that maby it was someone who wanted to draw Malcom out by making it look like he did ice her. I also liked Ras and would love a screenshot of him if its posted on the site somewhere..

Comment

The best one so far this season. Which doesn't say much, but at least it had less cheese compared to the first 3 episodes.

The good parts: The 3 way fight sequence, barely any Felicity, Malcolm Merlyn, Katie Cassidy's triceps and Katrina Law (wow ).

The not so good parts: The recycled conversation scenes (between Roy/Thea and especially the whole kill/don't kill thing between Oliver and the rest), the dragged out drama over Quentin's knowledge about Sara's death and Oliver just letting Malcolm walk free. I know they needed an excuse for Ra's to declare war, but it felt too weak and forced. Also, wasn't it kind of ridiculous that Malcolm would willingly meet Oliver in the middle of a public street, without anyone noticing a mass murderer who's supposed to be dead?

Oh well. 7.5/10.
                          Last edited by costas22; 10-30-2014, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                            Oliver just letting Malcolm walk free. I know they needed an excuse for Ra's to declare war, but it felt too weak and forced. Also, wasn't it kind of ridiculous that Malcolm would willingly meet Oliver in the middle of a public street, without anyone noticing a mass murderer who's supposed to be dead?
                            these are bothering me as well.

Comment

Firstly: I haven't been reviewing as much as I did last season because I have a lot more I'm doing of late. But this was one episode I knew I had to write a review, even if only a short one, for.

There are really only two things that come to mind at the moment. Oliver and Malcolm's talk in the plaza was amazingly well-done and the actors manage to pull off their roles very well. I really love how Malcolm points out to him that Starling was his long before Oliver became the Hood and that he considers Starling to still be his city. I find the dynamic between the two very intense, as Oliver still has idealism and is working to clean up the city slowly but surely, while Malcolm lost his idealism long ago and is the bitter image of what Oliver could become if he's not careful. In all honesty, I can't wait for the next scene between these two because I just love it. Stephen Amell said at one point that working with well-trained actors like the woman who played Moira (sorry, I can't remember her name at the moment because I'm kinda sleepy) allows for wonderful acting. While we lost Moira, we've gained Malcolm who is played by a versatile, trained actor who can shift his character as needed. That he is a fan of the comics and thus knows the character thoroughly also helps, I think.

THe second thing that comes to mind is the one thing I was hoping to see last year, and that I hope to see more of this year: The Dark Archer and Emerald Archer teamin up to face a common foe. I suspect we'll be seeing more of this in the future, and I already have a suspicion as to what Malcolm and Oliver are apparently doing in Episode 9, since Barrowman and Stephen have both mentioned a cold, wet mountain scene. I'll share it when I'm more awake.... anyways, all in all, I enjoyed this.

Oh, and anyone else wondering if Nyssa is wanting to try and twist Laurel into the League as a way of preserving Sara? Because that's the vibe I got off of her as she walked away after giving Laurel the fighting advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎