Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Minor observation:

When Thanos puts the space stone on the gauntlet, it takes a visible toll on him. When he puts the mind stone on it, it takes a visible toll on him. When he puts the time stone in the gauntlet, he barely reacts. Now, we didn't see him putting the power, reality and soul stones on it, but when there is one reaction two out of three times, it was probably there for most of them. Also, would wielding two infinity stones be more exhausting than wielding five?

So, there might've been something fishy with the time stone.

There is a potential for an Agents of SHIELD cameo, that I hope they end up using.

(Not really a spoiler, but I'm including spoiler tags as it deals with something shown in the trailers, which some might not have watched, to avoid being spoiled.)

[SPOILER]In the trailers, we've seen them watching computer screens, where you see images of people who've been dusted. If they wanted to, they could easily include a picture of (for example) Chloe Bennett (as Daisy Johnson), for two seconds. [/SPOILER] Acknowledging the TV side of the MCU.

Watched it little over an hour ago. Won't post any spoilers (even with spoiler tags), at the moment, all I will say is that I enjoyed it.

Gone
    Thoughts after watching it earlier today. As a cinema experience, it's very entertaining. But, I am not sure if it's a worthy part 2 to IW. Some of its flaws are very glaring and another movie would't have gotten away with them.

[SPOILER]
    - One of my issues was that the main storyline was kind of weak. Truth be told, after Infinity War there wasn't much of a story to tell. It was basically all about the Avengers undoing the Snap's damage. The concept of having the team go back in time was fun in terms of nostalgia, but it also grew tiresome when almost half the movie is devoted to it. The team should have gathered the Stones much quicker and the movie should have been half an hour shorter, IMO. That said, I did like the fact that they used this concept to show us characters like Thor's Mother, Loki, Jane (even for just 10 seconds) and the Ancient One again.

- Time travel should be avoided by hero shows and movies like the plague. As much as they try to explain and make sense of it, we still end up with convoluted and convenient outcomes that make little sense. For example, here they are going with the lazy Legends of Tomorrow mentality of "No matter how much the past changes, the present won't be affected". While I am not scientist, I find it very hard to believe that this is how time travel would actually work. For example, how the hell does Steve Rogers going back to 1945 and staying there not mess up the timeline completely? If Steve stays in 1945, it means that Captain America is not present for A LOT of key events from 2011 and forward. Mind you, we are not talking about a parallel timeline. The Steve who leaves in the Quantum Realm and the old Steve who shows up 5 seconds later exist in the same timeline! At the same time, we see 2012!Loki escapes with the Tesseract after the battle of New York. A huge history altering event. And yet, once again, this doesn't affect the present in any way. By what logic? The Avengers just brush it off by saying "That's ok, we will get the Tesseract from 1970 instead". WTH? Or, how does Nebula still live after she kills her past self? These are schoolboy errors for time travel storylines, but of course they will be overlooked because MCU movies never get called out for their poor writing if they are fun and they have jokes.

- My final issue isn't so big as the others and it's more of a personal nitpick. I am guessing people will love the Thor they saw in this movie. And I admit that there were 1-2 times where I chuckled as well. But I disagree with the idea of turning Thor, arguably the most powerful Avenger, into a comedy relief. They did it in Thor:Ragnarok and they did it again here. No wonder the movie ended with him joining the GotG. It's where he belongs the way they've been using him as of late.

- The biggest talking point coming out of this movie is how it closes the chapter of some major characters. And Stark's death is probably at the top of the list. To be honest, I didn't see it coming. I thought they would keep him alive and use him as a character similar to Nick Fury going forward. But I guess it was fitting that the character who kickstarted the MCU would be the one to die at the biggest movie of the series after dealing the death blow to Thanos. A big thank you to RDJ. He was a brilliant Iron Man and a big reason why the MCU ended up being so successful.

- Natasha's death didn't shock me so much. After we heard that the Black Widow movie would be set in the past, I suspected she wouldn't make it out of Endgame alive. And it makes sense in a way, given that her character had gone as far as she could possibly go. The only thing I didn't like about the death was how similar it was to Gamora's.

- As for Rogers, aside from the ridiculousness of the time travel that I mentioned above, I liked how he was written off. I fully expected him to die on the field and I had prepared myself for the sadness of that moment (Cap is my favorite character of the MCU). But this was a better alternative because it gave him a happy ending. The dance with Peggy was one of those longstanding itches that a lot of MCU fans have had for years. So it was nice to see those two finally get their dance and for the movie to end on that note. It was the most fitting ending they could come up with. I was also surprised to see Falcon get the Shield. I thought for sure it would be Bucky.

- Hulk's presence in this movie was hit and miss (not as much as Thor though). It feels like they've run out of ideas for him and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see him again in an MCU movie.

- Hawkeye was cool as Ronin I thought. Like Nat, Stark, Rhodes, Rogers and Hulk, this movie was probably his last as well.

- Obviously Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, the GotG, Dr Strange and Spiderman will return in Phase 4(?). Will be interesting to see if they can get them together for another Avengers movie.

- The budget for Endgame will probably be the biggest in MCU history. The CGI guys must have worked overtime considering how many characters appeared digitally altered here. Making Michael Douglas look so young probably took the cake, lol. Chris Evans also looked unrecognizable in the end.

- As it's usually the case with these movies, there are a lot of moments that make the audience rawr. In my cinema, the crowd lost it when Black Panther and the rest of the dusted heroes showed up to support Cap. Especially Spiderman. Personally speaking though, my absolutely favorite moment was Cap using the Hammer and an emotional Thor saying "I knew it!". That was an awesome callback to AoU that answered a question a lot of us had about how worthy Steve truly was.
    [/SPOILER]

7/10. No Post-credit scene, so feel free to go pee as soon as the credits roll.
    Last edited by costas22; 04-25-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Stranger Than Reality! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Just finished watching it five minutes ago......OMG OMG OMG!!!! I canít even process all of it...Iím watching it again tomorrow, even though I wonít be able to sleep tonight with all the MCU goodness that was given us in those 3hrs

Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    [SPOILER]
    - Time travel should be avoided by hero shows and movies like the plague. As much as they try to explain and make sense of it, we still end up with convoluted and convenient outcomes that make little sense. For example, here they are going with the lazy Legends of Tomorrow mentality of "No matter how much the past changes, the present won't be affected". While I am not scientist, I find it very hard to believe that this is how time travel would actually work.
    [/SPOILER]
    [SPOILER]There are many theories on time travel. Here they've gone for the multiverse idea: when you travel back and change things, you produce another reality. Nothing changes, because your reality stays the same. The history of the MCU remains the same. What we see is glimpses of other realities: one where Loki escaped, after the battle of New York. One where Thanos vanished in 2014. It's complicated, but the right approach to time travel (as it means that you can't just go back in time, an hour, to stop a city from being nuked; the city will remain nuked. All you've done is produced an alternate reality, where it didn't).[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]For example, how the hell does Steve Rogers going back to 1945 and staying there not mess up the timeline completely? If Steve stays in 1945, it means that Captain America is not present for A LOT of key events from 2011 and forward.[/SPOILER]
    [SPOILER]Okay, now I'm confused. Why would 2023 Steve Rogers traveling into the past (and living out the rest of his life), affect Steve Rogers being there from 2011 and onward? Why would 2011-2023 be affected by the 2023 Steve traveling to the past? He didn't have himself unfrozen. The Steve who went into the ice, remained like that until 2011. The Steve who ended up with Peggy was from the future. He just married (and had children with) Peggy, he didn't alter the timeline (they never established who Peggy's husband was in TWS. We didn't see any photo of the man (only Peggy with her children). So, it was pretty obvious that this was how they were going to conclude his story). No doubt, he assumed a false identity in the 1940s (and kept his head down, to avoid altering the timeline). If he did anymore heroics, he probably used a new persona.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Or, how does Nebula still live after she kills her past self?[/SPOILER]
    [SPOILER]The 2014 Nebula, seen in the movie, ceased to be the same as the 2023 Nebula, when the timeline changed. She's a Nebula from another reality, not the one who grows into the heroic one seen in 2023. The same with the 2014 Thanos and Gamora.[/SPOILER]

Incurable Postaholic DA_Champion's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    This movie was really great.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post
    Thoughts after watching it earlier today. As a cinema experience, it's very entertaining. But, I am not sure if it's a worthy part 2 to IW. Some of its flaws are very glaring and another movie would't have gotten away with them.

[SPOILER]
    - One of my issues was that the main storyline was kind of weak. Truth be told, after Infinity War there wasn't much of a story to tell. It was basically all about the Avengers undoing the Snap's damage. The concept of having the team go back in time was fun in terms of nostalgia, but it also grew tiresome when almost half the movie is devoted to it. The team should have gathered the Stones much quicker and the movie should have been half an hour shorter, IMO. That said, I did like the fact that they used this concept to show us characters like Thor's Mother, Loki, Jane (even for just 10 seconds) and the Ancient One again.

- Time travel should be avoided by hero shows and movies like the plague. As much as they try to explain and make sense of it, we still end up with convoluted and convenient outcomes that make little sense. For example, here they are going with the lazy Legends of Tomorrow mentality of "No matter how much the past changes, the present won't be affected". While I am not scientist, I find it very hard to believe that this is how time travel would actually work. For example, how the hell does Steve Rogers going back to 1945 and staying there not mess up the timeline completely? If Steve stays in 1945, it means that Captain America is not present for A LOT of key events from 2011 and forward. Mind you, we are not talking about a parallel timeline. The Steve who leaves in the Quantum Realm and the old Steve who shows up 5 seconds later exist in the same timeline! At the same time, we see 2012!Loki escapes with the Tesseract after the battle of New York. A huge history altering event. And yet, once again, this doesn't affect the present in any way. By what logic? The Avengers just brush it off by saying "That's ok, we will get the Tesseract from 1970 instead". WTH? Or, how does Nebula still live after she kills her past self? These are schoolboy errors for time travel storylines, but of course they will be overlooked because MCU movies never get called out for their poor writing if they are fun and they have jokes.

- My final issue isn't so big as the others and it's more of a personal nitpick. I am guessing people will love the Thor they saw in this movie. And I admit that there were 1-2 times where I chuckled as well. But I disagree with the idea of turning Thor, arguably the most powerful Avenger, into a comedy relief. They did it in Thor:Ragnarok and they did it again here. No wonder the movie ended with him joining the GotG. It's where he belongs the way they've been using him as of late.

- The biggest talking point coming out of this movie is how it closes the chapter of some major characters. And Stark's death is probably at the top of the list. To be honest, I didn't see it coming. I thought they would keep him alive and use him as a character similar to Nick Fury going forward. But I guess it was fitting that the character who kickstarted the MCU would be the one to die at the biggest movie of the series after dealing the death blow to Thanos. A big thank you to RDJ. He was a brilliant Iron Man and a big reason why the MCU ended up being so successful.

- Natasha's death didn't shock me so much. After we heard that the Black Widow movie would be set in the past, I suspected she wouldn't make it out of Endgame alive. And it makes sense in a way, given that her character had gone as far as she could possibly go. The only thing I didn't like about the death was how similar it was to Gamora's.

- As for Rogers, aside from the ridiculousness of the time travel that I mentioned above, I liked how he was written off. I fully expected him to die on the field and I had prepared myself for the sadness of that moment (Cap is my favorite character of the MCU). But this was a better alternative because it gave him a happy ending. The dance with Peggy was one of those longstanding itches that a lot of MCU fans have had for years. So it was nice to see those two finally get their dance and for the movie to end on that note. It was the most fitting ending they could come up with. I was also surprised to see Falcon get the Shield. I thought for sure it would be Bucky.

- Hulk's presence in this movie was hit and miss (not as much as Thor though). It feels like they've run out of ideas for him and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see him again in an MCU movie.

- Hawkeye was cool as Ronin I thought. Like Nat, Stark, Rhodes, Rogers and Hulk, this movie was probably his last as well.

- Obviously Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, the GotG, Dr Strange and Spiderman will return in Phase 4(?). Will be interesting to see if they can get them together for another Avengers movie.

- The budget for Endgame will probably be the biggest in MCU history. The CGI guys must have worked overtime considering how many characters appeared digitally altered here. Making Michael Douglas look so young probably took the cake, lol. Chris Evans also looked unrecognizable in the end.

- As it's usually the case with these movies, there are a lot of moments that make the audience rawr. In my cinema, the crowd lost it when Black Panther and the rest of the dusted heroes showed up to support Cap. Especially Spiderman. Personally speaking though, my absolutely favorite moment was Cap using the Hammer and an emotional Thor saying "I knew it!". That was an awesome callback to AoU that answered a question a lot of us had about how worthy Steve truly was.
    [/SPOILER]

7/10. No Post-credit scene, so feel free to go pee as soon as the credits roll.
    time travel is fiction/fantasy dude so you canít say thatís how it works or doesnít work

they explained it quite simply in detail, ever time you go back into a certain timeline a new timeline is created

eg avengers were on the main timeline so each of them made a new timeline when they went back

to avoid ruining the timelines, the stones were placed back right at the time they were taken

you canít really complain about the concept as itís whatsoever the movies want or to be, now I do agree there are massive issues. Either new timelines are made or the past changes the future, itís usually the two ways movies do it and they chose the first option hereby

one being what you said about the Loki timeline, that timeline has been altered severely which they just left lol and went into a different one

the captain basically stayed on a different time line, leading to two kids not being born whilst being secretive most like you lol then he returns to his original time line when I assume Peggy is dead, thatís really impacting the other timeline big time. I guess they just wanted to give him a happy ending so ignored the obvious plotholes as the cap would never do something like that imo

nebula lives as each timeline has their own set of heroes, but as we saw the 2014 one jumped into the current timeline as we know it as did Thanos and his army, so her death means of course only her time line is impacted of not having her

think of it this way if there are 20 timelines, then there are 20
    of each character but if one decides to hop timelines then evidently one timeline will have 0 as the person left and another will have 2 as someone came in from a different timeline

tbf this is probably the clearest timeline movie done imo everything is explained well and clearly and only very few people have questions over it judging from reviews etc

i personally feel there was no reason to kill off black widow or iron man , just retire them in some way and give everyone their normal ending with happiness

Thor, I liked what they dd, he went through trauma and basically is finished mentally and in a rot, but they should have had him overcome it imo and show how you come through loss in a positive way in the end

the avengers assemble scene, dear god lol so epic as was the hammer scenes

solid 9 for me if they kept the main cast alive and just closed off their stories, and ended the captains better in a way that made sense, then would be 10

marvel showed how much better they were than dc when making these
    movies, they ended every character arc pretty much, whilst I didnít like the ending of some of them, they did finish it and explained it well what they did

this movie will go down as the biggest and best ever of these genres imo

consider infinity war and this one whole movie imo

just incredible
    Last edited by Amar J; 04-27-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Um...

Current worldwide gross: $1,209,000,000

At this rate, I could see it pass Titanic ($2,187,463,944), but (probably) not Avatar ($2,787,965,087).
    Last edited by jon-el87; 04-28-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Mad Man with a Box! HalJordan4184's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    Um...

Current worldwide gross: $1,209,000,000

At this rate, I could see it pass Titanic ($2,187,463,944), but (probably) not Avatar ($2,787,965,087).
    This film broke 25 box office records, and is by far, the fastest film to gross a billion dollars. At this point, I would hesitate to make any guesses as to the final totals it will gross. There are already people who have seen this movie five times, and it hasn't been out that many days yet. I wouldn't be shocked if this movie takes all the records and all the money.

As far as my thoughts on the movie in general:

[SPOILER] Time travel is messy, and despite how much effort they put into trying to keep this movie from being messy, it's messy. I enjoyed this movie a lot. My first impression is that this is a fitting cap to the first 3 phases of Marvel, and an end to the "classical Marvel" cinematic universe. We've got almost every A or B list superhero, with the exceptions of the other teams like X-Men and Fantastic Four, in these movies, or on the accompanying TV shows. We couldn't have asked for much more, and the Russo Brothers delivered.

Highlights for me were, in no particular order:

Cap wielding Mjolnir. We knew he was close in Age of Ultron. In this movie, with everything on the line, Cap proves worthy, and has a uniquely Captain America style of fighting with Shield and Hammer. It was awesome to see on screen.

I liked Fat Thor. I've read a lot of complaints about how people think it's making fun of PTSD, and people are mad Thor didn't get better by the end. Realizing the Fat Thor portion of the movie literally takes place over a few days at the longest, I'd be pretty disappointed had Thor been totally okay by the end. He made progress, and I'd totally be down for a "recovering" Thor having a final cinematic outing working on himself alongside Rocket, Groot, Star Lord, etc as an "Asguardians" adventure.

Professor Hulk or Doc Green, whichever you prefer, was funny to me. I've always like Mark Ruffalo, and I think he does a good job here. I've seen people go both ways over the character, but to me it worked.

Tony. His story comes full circle. I have not ready many comments yet on how Tony became the man Cap called him out for not being in the first movie. Tony has had the most complete growth over the movie series. He's always been self absorbed, and basically just Tony. Over the course of the movies though, he's consistently surprised everyone with his decisions and growth. Finally, in this movie, he shows how much he has really changed. Fatherhood changes him. He hangs up the armor, lives quietly off the beaten path, and puts all of his energy into his family. When it's time to make the sacrifice though, the one Cap probably rightly called him out on being unwilling to make, he does it here with no hesitation. He sacrifices everything so the other guys can live.

Cap's ending. Was there anyone that didn't see this coming. While I do find it hard to believe Steve would just step away from being a hero, especially in that time, and knowing what happens in the future, I'll admit I just let myself go with the emotion of it. Good for Cap for getting that dance, and trying that life thing Tony always told him to get.

These were just a few of the highlights for me.

As far as my issue with messiness and Time Travel. This movie went out of it's way to try to explain as many of the aspects of it as possible. I think in some ways this almost hurts it. The reason time travel is hard to use, is that it's simply hard to use. It's not easily explained, there are so many situations and contrivances surrounding it, that it's easier to not use it. No matter how well you try to explain it, it doesn't work 99% of the time. They did their best here, but for every person that "gets" this movies time travel, there is another one that is just as confused. Splintering time lines doesn't help, as the whole point of returning the stones to the moment they took them, was to keep the timelines from splintering off, yet at the same time, they kill a past version of Thanos, resulting in a splintered timeline. The other problem this creates, is the ethical problem of, while you are making your timeline better, you acknowledge there is a parallel universe you are potentially making far worse, or even dooming, so that you can fix your own problems. It also cheapens a little some of the characters sacrifices. Let's just pop over and pick up a new Natasha or Tony to get us back to status quo. I watched a great review where one of the commentators talked briefly about the very considerable ethical implications of how this movie explains time travel, and they just gloss over it in the film.

At the same time, I realize this was three hours long, and we all needed to pee by the end, so there is that.
    [/SPOILER]

So all in all, I give this a solid 9 out of 10. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have to be. It was a perfect ending to this phase of Marvel.

Gone
    It will all depend on how well it holds up over the 2nd weekend and how it does in repeat viewing business. I suspect Endgame will do quite well in both categories. It's still too early to tell if it can dethrone Avatar, but no other movie will have a better chance.

Current worldwide gross: $2,188,698,638.

It has passed Titanic. Will be interesting to see James Cameron's reaction.

I thought it was a decent movie. I still think that I prefer Thanos winning, no alternate timelines, and you don't really have to acknowledge "End Game" if you don't want to. Nothing that I'd really want to sit through another 3 hours for to see a second time. Only one more Disney film to watch this year and I will NEVER have to watch another one again....if I don't want to.

Stranger Than Reality! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    Current worldwide gross: $2,188,698,638.

It has passed Titanic. Will be interesting to see James Cameron's reaction.
    Iím definitely curious, when everything is said and done where will this fall and how close will it get to the Avatar gross.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 05-05-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Gone
    If it's up to 2.5-2.6 billion this time next week, it has a great chance of surpassing Avatar, IMO. The fact that it grossed 2.2 billion after 12 days is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Glove View Post
    I thought it was a decent movie. I still think that I prefer Thanos winning, no alternate timelines, and you don't really have to acknowledge "End Game" if you don't want to. Nothing that I'd really want to sit through another 3 hours for to see a second time. Only one more Disney film to watch this year and I will NEVER have to watch another one again....if I don't want to.
    Of course you're referring to Aladdin.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast