Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avengers: Infinty War Part 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the end of the month we’re going to have a new reigning “Box Office King” (if not sooner) with Endgame dethroning Avatar. Again, when everything is said and done I’m curious about the final numbers. I hope they don’t try to rerelease Avatar again prior to Avatar 2
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 05-08-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkphoenix21
      I hope they don’t try to rerelease Avatar again prior to Avatar 2
      Avatar 2 has seriously become a running joke. The sequels keeps getting delayed over and over again (Avatar 2 was originally supposed to be released 2014). The bigger question is if there'll be any interest, when Cameron actually gets one released. Is there even an interest today, among general audiences? No one ever seems to talk about it (unless they're talking about box office and asks "can movie X be the one to beat Avatar?"). Pop culture never appear to reference it. The last reference that I can think of was "Treehouse of Horror XXII" (2011), with Simpsons episodes taking a year to make (so, it was actually written in 2010). And, according to Wikipedia, the Avatar segment was accused of being two years too late (you never hear someone say that about a reference to 70's movies like Star Wars, Alien and Jaws).

Comment

• Originally posted by costas22
        Of course you're referring to Aladdin.

That's funny. I'll even give you an imogee.

No, I'm already invested in the Episodes of Star Wars. I have to see how it ends. I guess that George Lucas was involved in this one. Added incentive. I'll be skipping the GoT Star Wars movies and definitely anything Rian Johnson or JJ have to put out involving that universe. I MIGHT be tempted to go to the theater to see a Grand Admiral Thrawn movie. I'm done with The Avengers as well. There's no point in watching anymore of these.

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,485,499,739

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,614,805,870

Comment

• Originally posted by costas22
              Thoughts after watching it earlier today. As a cinema experience, it's very entertaining. But, I am not sure if it's a worthy part 2 to IW. Some of its flaws are very glaring and another movie would't have gotten away with them.

[SPOILER]
              - One of my issues was that the main storyline was kind of weak. Truth be told, after Infinity War there wasn't much of a story to tell. It was basically all about the Avengers undoing the Snap's damage. The concept of having the team go back in time was fun in terms of nostalgia, but it also grew tiresome when almost half the movie is devoted to it. The team should have gathered the Stones much quicker and the movie should have been half an hour shorter, IMO. That said, I did like the fact that they used this concept to show us characters like Thor's Mother, Loki, Jane (even for just 10 seconds) and the Ancient One again.

- Time travel should be avoided by hero shows and movies like the plague. As much as they try to explain and make sense of it, we still end up with convoluted and convenient outcomes that make little sense. For example, here they are going with the lazy Legends of Tomorrow mentality of "No matter how much the past changes, the present won't be affected". While I am not scientist, I find it very hard to believe that this is how time travel would actually work. For example, how the hell does Steve Rogers going back to 1945 and staying there not mess up the timeline completely? If Steve stays in 1945, it means that Captain America is not present for A LOT of key events from 2011 and forward. Mind you, we are not talking about a parallel timeline. The Steve who leaves in the Quantum Realm and the old Steve who shows up 5 seconds later exist in the same timeline! At the same time, we see 2012!Loki escapes with the Tesseract after the battle of New York. A huge history altering event. And yet, once again, this doesn't affect the present in any way. By what logic? The Avengers just brush it off by saying "That's ok, we will get the Tesseract from 1970 instead". WTH? Or, how does Nebula still live after she kills her past self? These are schoolboy errors for time travel storylines, but of course they will be overlooked because MCU movies never get called out for their poor writing if they are fun and they have jokes.

- My final issue isn't so big as the others and it's more of a personal nitpick. I am guessing people will love the Thor they saw in this movie. And I admit that there were 1-2 times where I chuckled as well. But I disagree with the idea of turning Thor, arguably the most powerful Avenger, into a comedy relief. They did it in Thor:Ragnarok and they did it again here. No wonder the movie ended with him joining the GotG. It's where he belongs the way they've been using him as of late.

- The biggest talking point coming out of this movie is how it closes the chapter of some major characters. And Stark's death is probably at the top of the list. To be honest, I didn't see it coming. I thought they would keep him alive and use him as a character similar to Nick Fury going forward. But I guess it was fitting that the character who kickstarted the MCU would be the one to die at the biggest movie of the series after dealing the death blow to Thanos. A big thank you to RDJ. He was a brilliant Iron Man and a big reason why the MCU ended up being so successful.

- Natasha's death didn't shock me so much. After we heard that the Black Widow movie would be set in the past, I suspected she wouldn't make it out of Endgame alive. And it makes sense in a way, given that her character had gone as far as she could possibly go. The only thing I didn't like about the death was how similar it was to Gamora's.

- As for Rogers, aside from the ridiculousness of the time travel that I mentioned above, I liked how he was written off. I fully expected him to die on the field and I had prepared myself for the sadness of that moment (Cap is my favorite character of the MCU). But this was a better alternative because it gave him a happy ending. The dance with Peggy was one of those longstanding itches that a lot of MCU fans have had for years. So it was nice to see those two finally get their dance and for the movie to end on that note. It was the most fitting ending they could come up with. I was also surprised to see Falcon get the Shield. I thought for sure it would be Bucky.

- Hulk's presence in this movie was hit and miss (not as much as Thor though). It feels like they've run out of ideas for him and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see him again in an MCU movie.

- Hawkeye was cool as Ronin I thought. Like Nat, Stark, Rhodes, Rogers and Hulk, this movie was probably his last as well.

- Obviously Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, the GotG, Dr Strange and Spiderman will return in Phase 4(?). Will be interesting to see if they can get them together for another Avengers movie.

- The budget for Endgame will probably be the biggest in MCU history. The CGI guys must have worked overtime considering how many characters appeared digitally altered here. Making Michael Douglas look so young probably took the cake, lol. Chris Evans also looked unrecognizable in the end.

- As it's usually the case with these movies, there are a lot of moments that make the audience rawr. In my cinema, the crowd lost it when Black Panther and the rest of the dusted heroes showed up to support Cap. Especially Spiderman. Personally speaking though, my absolutely favorite moment was Cap using the Hammer and an emotional Thor saying "I knew it!". That was an awesome callback to AoU that answered a question a lot of us had about how worthy Steve truly was.
              [/SPOILER]

7/10. No Post-credit scene, so feel free to go pee as soon as the credits roll.
              I did see Endgame opening weekend, I just haven't gotten around to posting about it til now.

As the culmination of 10 years of planning and development, it was a satisfying conclusion to Marvel Phase 1 and they deserve kudos for this. It's evident that taking time and having patience (and being committed to the story they wanted to tell) paid off.

Take away the hype and buzz, and just looking it as a standalone movie ... I tend to lean towards costas22's view that, had this not been a Marvel movie and an Infinity one to boot, there were flaws that can't be overlooked too. I think some of its glitches are getting glossed over or getting an outright pass because it's Marvel. The fanboys would have otherwise nitpicked its issues (which admittedly aren't dealbreakers) to the bones, had this been called Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis aka a DC film.

The average viewer wouldn't mind how they handled it ... but if time travel is your scifi thing, then one could see how they tweaked it to get the resolution they wanted. I'm happy for Cap's own resolution, but I also feel it should definitely impact or alter events to follow. There was a "because he's MCU royalty" immunity idol played for Rogers in this regard.

It was mostly a nostalgia trip, which is fine, but there's little doubt it was more for closing down Phase 1 than setting up Phase 2.

I probably liked Part 1 better than Part 2 in general.

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,682,931,736

Current domestic gross: $803,631,736

Second movie to pass $800 million domestic.

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,713,912,037

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,730,565,940

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,742,491,359

Comment

• Apparently, it will be re-released with new footage. This might be what pushes it past Avatar.

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,749,603,966

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,764,310,120

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,772,451,235

Comment

• Current worldwide gross: $2,780,800,139

Dr. Strange: "We're in the endgame now."

Comment

Working...
                                X