Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Marvel (2018)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ι loved the Skrulls' dry humor. It's the kind of comedy that MCU movies lack badly. Didn't know Ben Mendelsohn had it in him. Other than that, the film as a whole truly is average. The MCU has done much better origin stories, IMO. Brie Larson is an actress I don't follow a lot and I don't know a lot about the Captain Marvel character. So it's not up for me to say if she makes a good Captain Marvel. All I'll say is that she didn't seem intimidated by the part or by her high caliber co-stars one bit.

As a movie that introduces Captain Marvel to the MCU, it serves its purpose. As a movie that ties up loose ends of the MCU, it fails.

Comment

Following my recent Wonder Woman (2017) rewatch, I decided to sit down and rewatch this one. I still like it, and thought that it holds up to repeat viewing (even noticing new things during the rewatch). Having rewatched it a few days after Wonder Woman, I noticed some details. This movie is 20 minutes shorter. So, no fashion montage (Carol gets clothes to fit in on Earth, offscreen, while visually establishing where she got them). Nor is there a shoehorned in love story (which often happens). The closest is one flashback (among all of Carol's memories) of her kissing a boy (her first kiss probably). The plot gets going a lot quicker. Had to look at the time, and was shocked to realize that I was still early in the film. Unlike Themyscira, we don't spend a whole lot of time on Hala. Both are locations that Diana and Carol leave, at the start of their adventure, and never return (if anything Hala plays a more significant role in the climax, than the by then non-existent Themyscira. As Hala is where the Supreme Intelligence is speaking to Carol from, and it's where all of the villains come from). As a result, one is waiting for them to leave, so that the plot can get started.

Comment

I really wish that they hadn't included the bit with her dad. No doubt, they wanted to show how Carol's been put down for much of her life (exclusively by men, they make it seem. I take it that Carol wasn't bullied in school, because the vast majority of female victims of bullying, have female tormentors). The problem is... that moment doesn't work. They want us to see this as an example of Carol being put down, told that she shouldn't do something. However, let's look at that moment, from the perspective of the father for two seconds. Imagine that you're Carol's father.

You're standing there, by the side of the track, watching your children ride gocarts. Suddenly, your daughter's gocart drives off the track. It flies up into the air, and crashes. You start running towards it. Not knowing if your child is hurt. If you'll have to bury your child, because of this crash.

Is it really weird for him to lash out, after she's almost gotten herself killed? He looked on, helplessly, as she crashed. He couldn't do anything.

For all we know, five seconds, after lashing out at her, Carol's dad put his arms around her... and broke down crying. Saying "I thought I lost you".

That moment can't exist, because it would mean that Carol might've done something wrong (at the very least, allow the audience to consider that possibility). We don't even know how she ended up on the track. I remember going to an amusement park, when I was a kid, that had gocarts. Only, I wasn't allowed to ride them, because I was too young. For all we know, Carol was also too young, snuck away (when her father took his eyes off her for two seconds), and got into one, without permission. Another scenario would've been that she pestered her dad, until he let her ride, and promised to be careful (only to end up being wreckless and crashed, almost killing herself). Both of those scenarios would put Carol in the wrong from the start.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎