Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Marvel (2018)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from a screening. Really enjoyed the film.

[SPOILER]I was wrong about the pager being in Maria Hill's possession, but I was heavily expecting to be. It would've just presented too much problem. Sure, it could've been a fun little thing for Carol to leave a young girl a way to signal her (like how Superman gives Jimmy Olsen a signal watch). But, it would've also resulted in Carol becoming a deadbeat mom. She comes to Earth, learns that she has a daughter, then splits (leaving the kid behind).[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]I'm hoping that it'll later be revealed that Mar-Vell had a kid with one of the Skrulls. The kid could've lived with her, on Earth, then been placed in the care of someone after Mar-Vell's death. Giving us a half-Kree, half-Skrull child, who could've grown up to be Hulkling (as Feige has promised that LGBT characters will be introduced into the MCU).[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]I really liked how they handled her origin. Much better than how they did Dr. Strange. After all, that film starts with Kaecilius stealing a page from a book. Then they cut to Dr. Stephen Strange performing two operations, then getting into a car accident. He recovers, spends an x amount of time in physical therapy, before eventually learning and coming to Kamar-Taj. Learns quickly, then Kaecilius begins to attack. Just how long had Kaecilius been sitting on his butt doing nothing? Carol, on the hand, have had her powers for six years, when we first meet her (with flashbacks explaining how she got them). She's had six years to learn how to master (at least) a degree of her powers. Sure, she unlocks her full potential at the end, but how can we be sure that this was the first time (and the Kree simply manipuled her memories to forget it)?[/SPOILER]

Comment

ugh this movie was a steaming pile of garbage. a bunch of on the nose "woke" bad sterotypes. Captain marvel had no real arc, there was no character growth at all. things that could have been good were just ruined with lazy exposition. There was never any real danger or threat. Everything just worked out for "reasons". What they attempted for humor was awful. There was never even a scene where/when Carol got the moniker captain marvel. Also the ret-cons for the mcu where rampant and they're all bad. seriously save your money.

Comment

The movie was on par with the likes of Ant-Man or Doctor Strange. It was a mostly standalone origin story which expanded on some things that may/may not have been important to know/reveal, such as [SPOILER]Nick Fury’s full name, why he wears a patch over one eye, how “The Avengers Initiative” got its name or even how SHIELD came to posses the Tesseract [/SPOILER]...these things were nice to know but, if they’d remained a mystery would have been just fine. The entire movie could have been negated tbh and that first after credit scene could have been the opening credits scene to Avengers: End Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue screen of death
          ugh this movie was a steaming pile of garbage. a bunch of on the nose "woke" bad sterotypes. Captain marvel had no real arc, there was no character growth at all. things that could have been good were just ruined with lazy exposition. There was never any real danger or threat. Everything just worked out for "reasons". What they attempted for humor was awful. There was never even a scene where/when Carol got the moniker captain marvel. Also the ret-cons for the mcu where rampant and they're all bad. seriously save your money.
          I probably won't watch the movie (I already know how it ties to Endgame and that's all that matters to me) and I don't particularly mind being spoiled. I am just curious about those retcons. What were they, if you don't mind expanding?

Same question goes out to anyone else who watched it and also noticed the same retcons.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
            I probably won't watch the movie (I already know how it ties to Endgame and that's all that matters to me) and I don't particularly mind being spoiled. I am just curious about those retcons. What were they, if you don't mind expanding?

Same question goes out to anyone else who watched it and also noticed the same retcons.
            tried to pm you cause i'm tired and can't get spoiler tags to work right, but your inbox is full and the message got eaten and lost. i'll try again later, or just look on you tube there is probably videos up about it by now.

Comment

tried to pm you cause i'm tired and can't get spoiler tags to work right, but your inbox is full and the message got eaten and lost. i'll try again later, or just look on you tube there is probably videos up about it by now.
              Damn. Sorry, I didn't realize it was full. If you want, try again. It's empty now. Otherwise, I'll look them up on youtube. No biggie.

Comment

Since I'm watching a lot of Youtube videos regarding movies and TV shows I was aware of the whole controversy surrounding this film.

We still went to see it last Thursday (2D).

I don't know anything about Captain Marvel besides there being one in Marvel Comics and one in DC Comics (Shazam) which I've learned from the 2013 TBS documentary Superheroes: A Never-ending Battle.

The movie itself was okay but not Earth-shattering. Immediately I noticed these things:

[SPOILER]
                1) Fight scene on the train. The train was powered by an overhead power line which we saw when one of the Skrull came to close to the collector. But then the train enters the tunnel and there's no space for a person to lie flat between train and tunnel ceiling.
                2) What was up with the new drive? I thought about that for the whole movie but did not get it. What was the importance / difference of this new lightspeed drive? Very obviosuly the Kree already possess a drive system that can move a ship from A to B in less time than it takes the light to move across normal 3D space. Did I miss something or was it never explained?
                3) The reason as for why Danvers is missing for all of the MCU was a rather weak one to me, especially with all the Earth invasions in the past.

Something I did not notice myself but someone else pointed out and what I think is a valid criticism is the question as to what Annette Benning's character was doing on Earth in the first place. She has a super advanced invisible space lab in orbit of Earth. Why the need to join an Earth army, having to fake numerous blood tests (I assume blue blood would have raised at least a few eyebrows) only to rely on people with technology and science that's a few hundred years behind Kree tech and science?
                [/SPOILER]

And then there was some name confusion. If I noticed correctly, Danvers was not once actually called Captain Marvel. But if I remember correctly, she's been referred to as "ace" even though she's a test pilot and that honorary is reserved for pilots with a number of confirmed kills. But why was her actual call sign [SPOILER]- and Fury's inspiration for the team name - "Avenger" when she isn't even a fighter pilot?[/SPOILER]

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                  [SPOILER]
                  2) What was up with the new drive? I thought about that for the whole movie but did not get it. What was the importance / difference of this new lightspeed drive? Very obviosuly the Kree already possess a drive system that can move a ship from A to B in less time than it takes the light to move across normal 3D space. Did I miss something or was it never explained?
                  [/SPOILER]
                  [SPOILER]When Carol contacts Star Force, they note that they're 22 hours away from the jump point, that would allow them to come to Earth. Think of these jump points like the Stargates in the Stargate franchise. They can take you between star systems, but you have to travel to them (slowly). You can't just throw a switch on your spaceship and activate an FTL drive, it's an external system. They explored it in GotG2. Where it's shown that you may need to do multiple jumps, to get to your destination (you can't go directly to where you wanna go) and it's said to be unhealthy to do more than 50 jumps at a time (meaning, if your destination is 700 jumps away, you'll have to stop to recover 14 times). This new drive would allow ships to travel to their destination directly, on their own. No need to stop and catch your breath. No dependence on there being a jump point in the star system.[/SPOILER]

3) [SPOILER]The reason as for why Danvers is missing for all of the MCU was a rather weak one to me, especially with all the Earth invasions in the past.[/SPOILER]
                  [SPOILER]Not really, we see her show up in the mid-credit scene (likely a scene from Endgame). We're not given a time table. However, since the snap, the Avengers have managed to collect themselves in Wakanda. Traveled back to their headquarters. Done a search for Fury, discovered the pager. Brought it back to base, examined it and decided to hook it up to a power source, to keep the signal going. Could easily have been 1-2 weeks since the snap (and Fury activated the pager) and Carol shows up now.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Something I did not notice myself but someone else pointed out and what I think is a valid criticism is the question as to what Annette Benning's character was doing on Earth in the first place. She has a super advanced invisible space lab in orbit of Earth. Why the need to join an Earth army, having to fake numerous blood tests (I assume blue blood would have raised at least a few eyebrows) only to rely on people with technology and science that's a few hundred years behind Kree tech and science?[/SPOILER]
                  [SPOILER]Perhaps you didn't notice the Tesseract (which is the key to her FTL drive) onboard her orbital lab? An item last, chronically, seen in the possession of Howard Stark (and, by extention, SHIELD) of Earth. She's clearly come to Earth, to acquire it. With it, no doubt guarded, she needed a way to gain access to it (and, being a good person, she probably didn't wanna storm in and start shooting innocent people). The only way to do that was to set herself up as a human scientist. Even then, they probably didn't just let her walk out with it, on her first day. Meaning she had to work with the humans, until she could steal it. And who else could she have relied upon to help her? She was secretly trying to help Skrull refugees, so she couldn't have the Kree empire help her. Do we know if any of the Skrulls onboard her orbital lab had the technical skills to help her construct it? Assuming she trusted them with this kind of technology. The Skrulls might have been victims in this film, but the source material point towards a dark future for them. Looking at the comics, the Skrulls started out as a benevolent race, but became militaristic conquerers after their conflict with the Kree.[/SPOILER]

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                    [SPOILER]Not really, we see her show up in the mid-credit scene (likely a scene from Endgame). We're not given a time table. However, since the snap, the Avengers have managed to collect themselves in Wakanda. Traveled back to their headquarters. Done a search for Fury, discovered the pager. Brought it back to base, examined it and decided to hook it up to a power source, to keep the signal going. Could easily have been 1-2 weeks since the snap (and Fury activated the pager) and Carol shows up now.[/SPOILER]
                    I meant that in reference to the earlier catastrophes like Avengers 1. Back then the Avengers team was not a team to begin with and with a lot of unknown quantities. Thor was unknown to show up at all, Hulk is, well, an "uncontrollable rage monster" and the Cap just awoke from a 70-year coma. Not your best bet when an alien god walks into your base and hypnotizes all the people to steal a very powerful artifact and wants to subjugate all mankind.

Comment

All of the ret-cons/plotholes from Captain marvel i can remember. there may be more. Some things i may be remembering incorrectly so anyone more in the know please correct me.

[SPOILER]

1 nick fury's eye and how he lost it... Captain America it stated he lost it do it being the last time he trusted someone.... captain marvel the cat scratched it.
                      2 pretty much all of agent carters tie ins with shield and their knowledge of off world life extra terrestrial/dimensional, people with powers etc. In captain marvel shield was clueless of all these things.
                      3 Howard stark was believed to have recovered the tesseract when they pulled the "capsicle" off the bottom of the ocean. (i may or may not be remembering this one correctly). In captain marvel no explanation was really ever given as to how Mar-vel actually got it and put it a space ship cloaked in orbit. Though she was a "government employee" she was not a shield member so either stark gave it to the government (which he wouldn't have done cause he founded shield with Agent carter etc.)
                      4 the kree/skrulls didn't know about the teseract being on earth prior to the battle of new york and chitari invasion. In CM they and the skrulls now know but even though the kree wanted it badly when they figured out what it was they just left and well 20 years goes by avengers happened and they did nothing about it. cause you know you're just gonna ignore the infinity stone now cause initial efforts to recover it failed. The skrulls probably would have wanted too but you know reasons...
                      5 The pager in infinity war to "call captain marvel back" was conveniently forgotten by fury for everything that was considered "world ending" over that 20 year period in all the other mcu movies. granted this one is kinda of a nit pick really but still just bad writing. Ofcourse it was probably just fury's toxic masculinty to keep carol down as the explanation
                      6 captain america the first avenger. not anymore, in capt marvel carol inspired fury to come with the avengers name/initiative.
                      7 (this one leads back to point 3) The cat pukes the tesseract up on fury's desk and that's now how shield gets it. (yes the cat ate it,obviously not really a cat)
                      8 In the comics captain marvel gets her powers from a "white hole" and amalgamated human/kree physiology. in the movie she gets them from the tesseract when the ship she was flying crashed and exploded with the tesseract onboard after being shot down trying to escape with mar-vel.
                      [/SPOILER]

Comment

All of the ret-cons/plotholes from Captain marvel i can remember. there may be more. Some things i may be remembering incorrectly so anyone more in the know please correct me.
                        Thanks for sharing! I had a feeling they would retcon [SPOILER]Fury's eye loss. Unless we are led to believe that he trusted cats and he doesn't anymore. It's a shame really. The way Fury described the incident in Winter Soldier, it felt like a very intriguing backstory to tell.

I read some articles online (from the usual websites that lavish MCU films nonstop) and they say that the film's continuity makes perfect sense and they even go as far as to detail how the Tesseract ended up from Howard Stark to Mar-Vell. Pity the same websites are usually more critical of other studios' films and their lack of continuity. : https://screenrant.com/tesseract-cap...ine-plot-hole/
                        [/SPOILER]

The MCU's continuity has gotten a bit sloppier in recent years, that much is certain. Kevin Feige, to his credit, has done very well to map out the MCU, especially in Phases 1 and 2. However, they decided to go bigger in Phase 3 (changing Captain America 3 to Civil War, introducing Spiderman and Captain Marvel, splitting Avengers 3 into 2 movies, etc) and that led to some lapses in continuity.

Comment

I would put Captain Marvel at par with the first Captain America or Thor's origin films -- neither of which were their strongest in their respective franchises. It felt like it took Cap two movies and Thor three to come into their own as characters on screen. I feel CM will likely be on a similar path as a franchise. Iron Man was really the only Marvel origin film that hit it out of the park on its first try, in my books.

There was a lot of sound and fury surrounding this film, some related to the actual movie and a lot of it external and unrelated. I tried to tune out most of it. Even then, the movie was just alright. A standard Marvel flick, no better or worse than many others. Maybe after 10 years, Marvel films have become more ... formulaic. CM is only the latest example.

I don't feel it was awful, it just wasn't the 'best. superhero. flick. EVER!!' that some in the fandom hyped it out to be months ago. It wasn't the best ever -- but it wasn't terrible either. And Marvel has a few films in their roster that fall into that average category.

Comment

Enjoyed Captain Marvel's origin story. Nick Fury's not so much. Loved everything Skrull.
                            Last edited by Who; 03-20-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Current worldwide gross: $1,120,166,950

First female superhero movie to gross over a billion. Domestically it has grossed $420,774,262 so far. Another $4 million and it passes The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, among action heroine movies (with only The Force Awakens, The last Jedi and Rogue One being above it).

Next year, we've got three female superhero movies coming out: Wonder Woman '84, Black Widow and Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn). Will be interesting to see how they will do at the box office. WW'84 is a sequel to a successful movie, so I could see it earn the most out of the three. Black Widow I'm unsure about (when it comes to the box office). It's a prequel, like Solo: A Star Wars Story, which (despite being good) didn't set the box office on fire.

Comment

Watched it a day ago. I mainly felt that it was a somewhat average movie. It does the job of being an enjoyable movie to pass the time, but at the same time, it wasn't exactly an instant cinematic classic that you want to watch over and over.

It was good, and just okay. Not bad at all.

like the others, I thought the origin of Nick Fury's eye was ridiculous though.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎