Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Things You Can't Outrun?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been following the flash since The Barry first appeared on Arrow but I'm going to focus on only this episode. First I enjoy all of the characters interactions which they seam like real people and the only drama parts which is even barely touched upon is Barry having feelings for Iris. They have learned since Arrow which they could probably take a few helpful hints. Now I'm not saying the show doesn't have its flaws but right now I really can't find that many of them.

The guy that plays Barry is really good and despite his powers he seams like a real man with issues that we all deal with. Bottom line he's relatable.
    The rest of them from Cisco, Caitlin, Iris, Wells, Joe and Eddie are very good actors and are interesting characters.

I'll be back to post more when I'm less tired.

Comment

My only complaint is the "freak of the week" still felt generic. Next week looks cooler!

Comment

I like a lot of things about this show. I like Barry. I like the Flash effects, and I like simply seeing Flash back on TV. I like Joe West and his relationship with Barry. I like the idea of them solving Nora's murder together, and I love that Joe is in on the secret from the get-go. I'm intrigued by Wells and what he's after. The S.T.A.R. Labs setup is mostly okay, and I'm completely fine with the particle accelerator acting as 2014's meteor shower. I'm interested in all the possibilities of this world. It has great potential, and I have higher hopes for it than I've ever had for Arrow, but this is the weakest episode thus far. That's not to say I outright hated it, but it was kind of disappointing. Weaknesses that were passable in the first couple of episodes are starting to get tired.

The villains need to step it up - not in terms of powers, but in depth. The Mist was extremely bland, and the guy's acting was stilted. He felt like a bad guy who kills the people that put him away because he's a bad guy, and that's what bad guys do. He didn't even seem mad at the people he killed. It was like he found himself alive and figured, "Hey, I guess I should kill those people. What else is there to do?"

I know this guy's powers were different from Mardon's in the pilot, but they both called for that smoke effect. It feels a little soon to have such a similar power on display. Also, while I guess it's a passable effect, it reeks of the low-budget lameness that was Smallville's Darkseid.

I'm so glad Eddie and Iris have come out in the open. I'm partially serious, but mostly not. I mean, I'm glad I won't have to sit through a long time of them keeping Joe in the dark, but why did I sit through it this long? Why do I care? Have we seen them do anything relationship-y without talking about keeping it a secret from Joe? At this point, that seems to be the entire reason for their relationship - to keep a secret from her father. More than anything else, this screams CW to me. Furthermore, Joe being opposed to it seems like a trope. I get that having your daughter date your coworker is weird, but since when is it reasonable for a parent to dictate his post-undergrad twenty-something daughter's dating life? He's just being that father that doesn't want his daughter to actually date anyone because they'll steal her away from him, and we don't have a good reason for it. For what it's worth, I did enjoy the awkward scene where Thawne showed up at their house. I guess that's something.

Now, I had a theory coming out of the pilot that Eddie really is Eobard Thawne, who's come back from the future to ruin Barry's life, first by killing his mother, then by stealing Iris, and who knows what else. That very well may not be true. Maybe he's their version of Thawne that just becomes a villain in the present day, starting from a place of semi-friendship (like Clark and Lex). Or maybe he's like Tommy Merlyn and is just there to throw us off the scent of the real Thawne, and he'll potentially get caught in the middle of the ensuing battle. Whatever he will be in the future, he's nothing right now. Nothing. He needs to do something. Right now, he's fluff. Heck, let's spend more time with him and Joe on cases.

Three episodes in, and three nefarious Wells teases. I think we need to stop that for a while, or maybe have it actually factor into an episode. This can't happen every week, or it will be insanely boring. As it stands, I'm still quite interested in his goals and what he plans to do with Barry. I don't want to lose that.

BG covered the flip-flopping/pep talk issue. No need to repeat.

"I win." What?

I know Barry's just starting out, has no clue what he's doing, and needs help figuring out his powers and how to use them, but I'd like to see him develop some independence soon. Give him one episode where he actually figures out how to stop the villain on his own. Having a support team is fine, but I don't think they need to be involved in every one of his skirmishes. I'd like to see more scenes of them explaining his hyper-metabolism and less of them telling him to run the villain ragged until he's too tired to turn into gas. Just because he's the one in the field doesn't make him brainless *looks at Smallville Clark*. It would be far more interesting for him to continually fail and learn from his failures than to have someone tell him what to do every step of the way.

Finally...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Streak_DCAU.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	6628460

The Streak thinks Barry could use a new hero name.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
          I know Barry's just starting out, has no clue what he's doing, and needs help figuring out his powers and how to use them, but I'd like to see him develop some independence soon. Give him one episode where he actually figures out how to stop the villain on his own. Having a support team is fine, but I don't think they need to be involved in every one of his skirmishes. I'd like to see more scenes of them explaining his hyper-metabolism and less of them telling him to run the villain ragged until he's too tired to turn into gas. Just because he's the one in the field doesn't make him brainless *looks at Smallville Clark*. It would be far more interesting for him to continually fail and learn from his failures than to have someone tell him what to do every step of the way.

Finally...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16396[/ATTACH]

I agree on this point. I think Barry is relying on them to beat the villans way too much. Like you said, I get it that he's new and discovering his powers but he knows as much as they do about what he can do (perhaps even more) so why can't he figure out how to beat a mist guy.

I was really hoping that he'd use his "tornado hands" to suspend the mist in one place and force the guy to go human, then Barry could speed punch him till he was unconscious. But I guess that SFX will have to wait till another time.

But back to the original point. Barry has proven that he's a smart man. In Arrow he saved Oliver without much help. He should be able to figure out how to deal with a man of mist. I guess it justifies why they keep paying Caitlin and Cisco at STAR Labs.

Side note, love the "Streak advice". Gave me a chuckle.

Comment

Finally...

Aw, yay.

Also, I pretty much agree with your entire review.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow4486
              I was really hoping that he'd use his "tornado hands" to suspend the mist in one place and force the guy to go human, then Barry could speed punch him till he was unconscious. But I guess that SFX will have to wait till another time.
              I'd love to see tornado hands and speed punches. I hope he learns those soon. At least he figured out how to vibrate his face. That was cool.

But yes, Barry's smart. I'd like to see his intelligence both in and out of costume.

Comment

I like a lot of things about this show. I like Barry. I like the Flash effects, and I like simply seeing Flash back on TV. I like Joe West and his relationship with Barry. I like the idea of them solving Nora's murder together, and I love that Joe is in on the secret from the get-go. I'm intrigued by Wells and what he's after. The S.T.A.R. Labs setup is mostly okay, and I'm completely fine with the particle accelerator acting as 2014's meteor shower. I'm interested in all the possibilities of this world. It has great potential, and I have higher hopes for it than I've ever had for Arrow, but this is the weakest episode thus far. That's not to say I outright hated it, but it was kind of disappointing. Weaknesses that were passable in the first couple of episodes are starting to get tired.

The villains need to step it up - not in terms of powers, but in depth. The Mist was extremely bland, and the guy's acting was stilted. He felt like a bad guy who kills the people that put him away because he's a bad guy, and that's what bad guys do. He didn't even seem mad at the people he killed. It was like he found himself alive and figured, "Hey, I guess I should kill those people. What else is there to do?"

I know this guy's powers were different from Mardon's in the pilot, but they both called for that smoke effect. It feels a little soon to have such a similar power on display. Also, while I guess it's a passable effect, it reeks of the low-budget lameness that was Smallville's Darkseid.

I'm so glad Eddie and Iris have come out in the open. I'm partially serious, but mostly not. I mean, I'm glad I won't have to sit through a long time of them keeping Joe in the dark, but why did I sit through it this long? Why do I care? Have we seen them do anything relationship-y without talking about keeping it a secret from Joe? At this point, that seems to be the entire reason for their relationship - to keep a secret from her father. More than anything else, this screams CW to me. Furthermore, Joe being opposed to it seems like a trope. I get that having your daughter date your coworker is weird, but since when is it reasonable for a parent to dictate his post-undergrad twenty-something daughter's dating life? He's just being that father that doesn't want his daughter to actually date anyone because they'll steal her away from him, and we don't have a good reason for it. For what it's worth, I did enjoy the awkward scene where Thawne showed up at their house. I guess that's something.

Now, I had a theory coming out of the pilot that Eddie really is Eobard Thawne, who's come back from the future to ruin Barry's life, first by killing his mother, then by stealing Iris, and who knows what else. That very well may not be true. Maybe he's their version of Thawne that just becomes a villain in the present day, starting from a place of semi-friendship (like Clark and Lex). Or maybe he's like Tommy Merlyn and is just there to throw us off the scent of the real Thawne, and he'll potentially get caught in the middle of the ensuing battle. Whatever he will be in the future, he's nothing right now. Nothing. He needs to do something. Right now, he's fluff. Heck, let's spend more time with him and Joe on cases.

Three episodes in, and three nefarious Wells teases. I think we need to stop that for a while, or maybe have it actually factor into an episode. This can't happen every week, or it will be insanely boring. As it stands, I'm still quite interested in his goals and what he plans to do with Barry. I don't want to lose that.

BG covered the flip-flopping/pep talk issue. No need to repeat.

"I win." What?

Finally...

For the most part, I agree with this review. And being that it's past time for me to go to bed, I'm going to be lazy and piggyback off your review.

I actually did like this episode but it was far from perfect. I bolded in your review the same nitpicks/issues I have.

1) The villains are too underdeveloped and are coming off very flat.

2) The Iris/Eddie stuff so far is uninteresting. As you said, why should I care? Both of their character's definitely need more to do besides give us a boring relationship drama.

3) Yeah, I got annoyed by yet another Dr. Wells reveal. It was cool in the pilot but now it's starting to annoy me. Every episode does not need an end-of-episode reveal.

Other issues:
                *When Barry told Detective West that he wanted to break his father out of jail, it felt very out of nowhere and weird.
                *Grant Gustin didn't really impress me in this episode. There were some scenes that he did not deliver very well. The opening scene with Barry and Iris leaving the movie is a good example.

What I did like:
                *Caitlyn, Caitlyn, Caitlyn! Danielle Panabaker is great in this role. She played her emotion very well in this episode.
                *I did like how Barry outsmarted the Mist and didn't just use brute force.
                *I love their use of science on the show. I feel smart when I know what they're talking about!
                *"The one with Big Belly Burger......What? I eat!"
                *The preview for next week......CAPTAIN COLD!! Hopefully we'll finally get a villain with some actual depth.

7/10

Comment

I really reaaaallly LOVED this episode!!!!!!
                  I knew I was going to like the show, and the previous episodes were good but this episode really hit me, like wow!
                  Loving Barry so much, and Grant is doing an awesome job. I thought the flashbacks were so awesome and gave a real emotional depth to the characters. I thought the chemistry between the characters were great too. IDK why but the show is giving me a fun vibe like the early seasons of SV - and Barry/Caitlin/Cisco kind of remind me of Clark/Pete/Chloe's fun nature, lol. The episode was just so great all around, and the fact that I'm sure the show will only get better as time progresses makes me really excited.

Comment

I really liked this episode. I thought it was fast paced (pun intended) with some good character beats.

I enjoyed Ronnie's backstory, and liked that Cisco was part of it as well. I do think Caitlin forgave him (Cisco) a little too easily, would like to see that rear it's head again, but as she was putting stuff behind her I guess it made sense?

The Iris and Eddie thing. While I liked that Joe knew they were dating (they did a pretty poor job of hiding, I thought), their whole romance seems...unconvincing.

Wells continues to be an intriguing character. His stuff is among the most interesting on the show.

And of course, the Easter eggs! The movie marquee titles (Blue Devil gets another reference?! And "The Rita Farr story". Ah, hints at Doom Patrol, lovely.), the Big Belly Burger and "fire and Ice" for Ronnie and Caitlin. I love those little nods to fans of the comics. They make me smile.

Originally posted by protege
                    Another thing about wells- what do you suppose happened to Simon Stagg's body?
                    Is Simon dead, though? I mean, we saw Wells stab him but we didn't actually see him die. Wells could be keeping him somewhere or Simon could have somehow survived. I'm thinking he'll be back at some point.

Comment

I don't care, I want every episode to end this season with Wells standing up, taking off his glasses and doing something dastardly with a smirk on his face. I'm hoping the next episode Snart gets the depth the last three villains have been completely lacking, I imagine with the casting they intend on it and he'll clearly be back multiple times afterwards. Never mind he's the first real Flash rogue they're using, not counting Clyde Mardon since I think it's safe to assume that was set up for his brother to eventually make an appearance and also be reoccurring.

Comment

Pretty cool. I'm loving the slow unveiling of the Wells character. The retrospective of the night of the particle accelerator explosion was interesting (please don't overdo it like the constant flashbacks to the island in Arrow).

Will Ronnie return as a supervillain?

Comment

Originally posted by skully
                          Pretty cool. I'm loving the slow unveiling of the Wells character. The retrospective of the night of the particle accelerator explosion was interesting (please don't overdo it like the constant flashbacks to the island in Arrow).

Will Ronnie return as a supervillain?
                          [SPOILER]Ronnie Raymond is Firestorm a superhero from the comics.[/SPOILER]

Comment

Cheers Jess.

Comment

I just saw this episode on the Season 1 DVD. It was a good one. This episode introduce 'The Mist', who in the comic is an enemy of the Golden Age Starman. He was the first villain to not die in this season. I hope that we'll see him again.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎