Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of this episode?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
    Things I didn't like:
    - Characters flip-flopping from single conversations - Det. West did it, Barry did it... It's just awful writing. Character development should derive from conflicts that are overcome, not from pep talks.
    - Barry's lack of confidence in this episode is borderline irrational. His "it's impossible" line about finding the prime made no sense. How is it impossible? Seemed very possible and very easy. It took him 2 seconds to do it. It was just another excuse for them to force inner conflict and have the folks at the lab give him a pep talk that wasn't needed at that point in the episode.
    I kinda felt the same thing with Barry at the end. It was too quick and easy for him to take out the villain with just a simple "pep talk". As far as the Joe West flip flop, I have to watch the episode again to decide if I truly felt about it. I was just glad in the end that he decided to join the "team". *shrugs*

Good review BTW

Comment

Originally posted by super_j_man
      I kinda felt the same thing with Barry at the end. It was too quick and easy for him to take out the villain with just a simple "pep talk". As far as the Joe West flip flop, I have to watch the episode again to decide if I truly felt about it. I was just glad in the end that he decided to join the "team". *shrugs*
      I am cutting the show some slack because it's clear that they're trying to setup the "going forward" dynamic between all of the different players and I like the end result. If I have to endure a little stupid to get to the point where everything is working, I'll be okay with it.
      Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 10-15-2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

It was a lot better than the pilot. I love Joe and Barry's relationship. I just hope that nothing happens to Joe. Jesse L Martin is killing it as Joe.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode. The things that people have complained about above, I quite liked - caitlin and Joe trying to ground Barry. Just because he can run fast does not mean he is a superhero, or superhero material. it also highlights for me the key difference between barry Allen and oliver Queen. barry has the support of many people around him, whereas Oliver is a lone horse, constantly trying to push people away.

Comment

The show is more light-hearted (and intentionally so, leaving the brooding and woe-is-the-world tone to Arrow and Gotham -- where I do expect it to be). I'm fine with it and suits Flash's universe.

I do think they still need to be vigilant about keeping character development on the horizon in every episode. I am pleased that West is in-the-know about Barry's secret investigation into his mother's death. I'm less pleased that SV's secrets 'n lies DNA replicated itself with the Barry - Iris "don't tell your secret to Iris" subplot. Include West in it, and it's a lying-to-protect-people trust v. doubt triangle Dishonourable mention goes to the on-going, usual CW love-interest jealousy triangle between Barry, Iris and pretty-boy detective. I know it's the CW, it's bound to happen -- does it have to manifest itself so soon, all at once?

Caitlin and Cisco are on-deck for more on the character development front. Snow at least has brought up the tragic loss of her fiance due to the freak accident, which (I hope) provides some character fodder to explore. They both could use more character-specific scenes or plots, beyond giving Flash the thumbs-up and/or worrying about his health.

I figured the lab accident would be the spawn of many meta-humans, I'm just hoping it's more Freak of a Couple o' Weeks and not FOTW's. I'm glad he's taken on some of the friendly neighbourhood superhero tasks: saving people from fires, freak accidents or shootings. It doesn't need to be meta-human villains every week.

I'm on the fence on the Barry monologues that bookend the episodes and how well it serves the show. Maybe it tries to sell the more whimsical mood of the series, but it could just as easily slip into corny. I'd prefer it if this tone is set within the episode's plot instead of Barry spelling it out each week.

I'm still "hearing" in my mind the Law and Order *boom boom* whenever Det. Green / West appears. (It'll be like this for me for most of this season, sorry.)

Still a good episode.

Comment

I think my favorite scene this week was the scene towards the end with Detective Joe West and Barry. I look forward to seeing the two of them working together.
              Last edited by Lois_Lane_Fan; 04-04-2015, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Cool ep. Starring SV Dichotic's Ian Randall on steroids as the villain.

Comment

Originally posted by skully
                  Cool ep. Starring SV Dichotic's Ian Randall on steroids as the villain.
                  More like Ian Randall on drugs. He could only split into two.

Comment

I really liked this episode, it built on the Pilot very well. Loved the beginning when he's saving people and the final showdown was outstanding IMO. The visual effects are top notch, not sure if they can sustain this quality but well see.

Its only ep 2 so ill give the characters time to grow. I wouldn't say this series is a 10/10 BUT I like were this is going.

Comment

I see a clear parallel between The Flash and Smallville's early seasons with the STAR Labs explosion playing the part of the meteor shower and the meta-humans substituting for the the meteor freak of the week. But I also like the way they are tying the series to the comics with the mystery surrounding Barry's mother and hints at time travel. I don't particularly like Grant Gustin's or Candice Patton's acting, but, overall, the series has great potential. I am particularly excited to know that, judging from the first two episodes, we will be seeing lots of D.C. characters who have never been seen before in live-action TV.
                      Last edited by Mbruno; 10-18-2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                        The show is more light-hearted (and intentionally so, leaving the brooding and woe-is-the-world tone to Arrow and Gotham -- where I do expect it to be). I'm fine with it and suits Flash's universe.

Caitlin and Cisco are on-deck for more on the character development front. Snow at least has brought up the tragic loss of her fiance due to the freak accident, which (I hope) provides some character fodder to explore. They both could use more character-specific scenes or plots, beyond giving Flash the thumbs-up and/or worrying about his health.
                        Caitlin's fiancee was Ronnie Raymond, who is a well-known D.C. character. Both Ronnie Raymond and Martin Stein (whose story is connected to Ronnie's) are confirmed to appear on The Flash , where they will be played by Robbie Amell and Victor Garber respectively. I hope it is not just a one-week appearance as I would love to see them as regulars in the show. Given on the other hand that Caitlin Snow herself and Cisco Raymond (Barry's "team") are already also noteworthy in their own right in the comics universe, I can't wait to see what the writers/producers have in mind for them in the show specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by KneelBeforeSmallville
                          I really liked this episode, it built on the Pilot very well. Loved the beginning when he's saving people and the final showdown was outstanding IMO. The visual effects are top notch, not sure if they can sustain this quality but well see.

Its only ep 2 so ill give the characters time to grow. I wouldn't say this series is a 10/10 BUT I like were this is going.
                          I'm concerned that the visual effects budget may prove quite expensive for a multi-episode TV show given the abundance of super-powered characters we are likely to see.

Comment

Hello all,

I just joined this community as I write about a lot of shows that are talked about here so it seems like a good place to be.

I'm really pleased with The Flash TV show so far, I thought the pilot was a really strong one and the second episode was even better. I love the characters, love the action and special effects and the writing is very good.

MOD EDIT

Really glad to be here
                            Last edited by Vergon6; 11-16-2014, 02:05 PM. Reason: Rule #1-please don't post links/promote blogs here

Comment

I thought this episode was good but more uneven than the pilot. While I enjoyed most of it, my main complaints came from the Barry and Joe relationship.

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                              Jesse Martin's West character is all over the place and it isn't working. First, he wants to protect Barry and keep him in line. Then, after one conversation with Wells, all of a sudden Barry is the only one who can do anything? BS.

- "You're not my father." - Yawn.
                              These points in particular. It made actively dislike Joe for most of the episode and then go "wait, he's on board just because Wells talked to him?" *shakes head* Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Joe is on Barry's side now but I just think that he should have been there all along or had better motivation for not being so (and definitely not have flip flopped so easily).

The must consume massive amounts of food thing. Interesting how they've given that to Barry as that was a Wally West trait (yes, Barry in the 90's TV Flash also had it but that Barry was said to be an amalgam of Barry and Wally). I wonder why they did that, as Barry from the comics has never had to do that?

Simon Stagg. I enjoyed that. Hadn't read any spoilers about him so that was a total surprise and a good one. I immediately began wondering "this mean we'll get Metamorpho?" Hee. Also, Wells at the end--is Stagg dead? If so that kind of derails certain comics storylines...

So a good episode, I just felt it was kind of hit and miss on characterization this time around.

Comment

I also saw this episode on DVD on the same day as the pilot episode. Barry fight his second super villain and he came from the Firestorm comics. We also get Simon Stagg and his bodyguard from another comic that feature another superhero who name i can't spell at this time. The ending was a shock and I wondered if Simon Stagg will survive this.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎