2 4.08%

2 4.08%

2 4.08%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - That wasn't very good at all

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The characters that convinced me most in this episode didn't really carry all that much weight in the show. Roy was great, Quentin I could relate to very well, Laurel moved up on my roster very nicely and Sara of course. Diggle was a bit of a disappointment although understandable, just the "I WANT to help/You can't, you got a kid" was the ENTIRE focus in Team Arrow, Felicity had a few bright moments, especially with her final interaction with Ray Palmer, but not nearly as many as normal. Oliver was my biggest disappointment, EDIT it felt like I was watching pre-island Oliver (a spoiled teenager ruled by hormones) with post-island skills and abilities instead of a much more mature post-island Oliver actually trying to gain control of his life. He allows himself to be distracted while chasing a weapons dealer putting the team in danger through the distraction to flirt with Felicity but wants to bench Diggle because he's a father now and chasing crooks is to dangerous? That interaction between all three characters is what dragged them down for me.
    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 10-09-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipzo View Post
    She may have initially released her, but she is more loyal to Ra's than anyone else. And as you said, it is going to be someone tied to Ra's but the only characters which are tied to them are Nyssa and Malcolm for the moment.
    I've said this elsewhere, but it can be definitively and unequivocally stated that Nyssa did not kill Sara.

I loved it. i loved the pace and the interactions between the characters. I loved the Olicity date, and it reminded a lot of the date with McKenna. Interesting that Oliver is pushing Diggle and Felicity aside, the very same people he insisted would resolve the Deathstroke and Brother Blood situation (when laurel wanted to go with him in Season 2 to stop brother blood). The little Barry Allen cameo seemed to be a little 2 second floater, that really did not do anything for me.
    I Loved Ray palmer (I parked on your roof, I hope you validate)

The purpose of the Barry Allen cameo can only truly be appreciated if you've seen the Flash pilot.

Oliver's appearance in the Flash pilot added a bit to the story, and played a part in the overall decision by Barry to become a hero. What did barry's 2 second conersation add to the Arrow season premiere? other than recognise Barry's part in the universe. I still do not understand, from a story telling perspective, what it added to the arrow premiere

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
    The purpose of the Barry Allen cameo can only truly be appreciated if you've seen the Flash pilot.
    I agree. It makes you want to see the Flash show. I hope either Barry Allen or Ray Palmer has an ongoing relationship with Felicity and that Oliver just sticks with Lara. Too bad about the shocking ending, I really wanted to see her do few more episodes at least. Although we might see some flashbacks about her.

The conversation that Oliver and Barry have in the Flash pilot is directly informed by what happens during the struggle to take down Zytle... hence why I said you can only truly appreciate the narrative purpose of Barry's cameo if you've seen the Flash pilot.

Oliver is literally telling Barry to embrace something that he (Oliver) has become convinced he can't have. He's pushing people away in his own life while telling Barry to do the opposite because Barry doesn't have his baggage.
    Last edited by DigificWriter; 10-09-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Forum Regular
    I thought it showed how season 3 will unfold for all of the characters. There will be an Oliver and Felicity romance in season 3 and Laural will he go back and hit the bottle or she will become the new Canary.
    Daddy Diggle I am not sure how his character will play this season and Felicity sure does not like Roy Palmer.

Cool I gave it a 9/10

I gave the episode a 9/10 because of Sara’s death.

*Sara’s death was a shock to me but I am disappointed they went this route with the character. This is the second character from Present Day and Flashbacks they did this too. First was Tommy and now Sara. Now we get these two characters in flashbacks nothing more. Also there is much more story they could tell with Sara but now we get it in flashbacks. I saw hints last season that could have lead Sara to White Canary or even Jade Canary but it will be interesting to see where they flashbacks go and the effect her death will have on everyone. For hey did Laurel it leads her to take on the mantle of Canary, for Oliver it could lead him to honor her like Tommy and also close a door on his life as Ollie before the island, and for Felicity I know they had not known each other long but Sara and her formed a bond. Also it is going to be interesting find out more about who killed Sara and why. At first I thought it was Malcolm because of the thee arrows shot in her but then I figure it was the New 52’s character of Komodo.

*Ray Palmer will be interesting this season. When he first showed up at Felicity’s work he was already hiding something. Then at the presentation he had more that he was hiding. I am going to like the banter between Felicity and Ray it brings me back to the first season when we first met Felicity and the banter she had with Oliver in the third episode.

*Roy I was impressed with in the episode he has grown and seeing him as Arsenal was great. Also that it shows Oliver trust him more. There is more to come with him this season and it will be great how it was shaping up.

*Diggle was great as always and that he is finally finding happiness with Lyla was great. Since he is happy he wants to see his friends happy. Also with a baby his priorities change.

*Laurel and Captain Lance was great interaction. Of course Captain Lance has trouble staying out the field after being injured because being a cop is who he is. Laurel concern is granted because Sara was gone and he is practically the only family she has left in her life. Laurel and Sara interaction was great also and then to have her sister fall to her death in front of her catalyst for the next journey in her life. Laurel interaction with Oliver was sweet too.

*Finally as for the Oliver and Felicity relationship he timing was off because both are not ready. It showed after the disaster of the first date which was going well until the new Vertigo interrupted it. Oliver was opening up more to Felicity about his time away and also it revisited a closing line to season 2 episode 7, then the calm is broken. Vertigo has him questioning his identity which affects him trying to have a life with as Oliver Queen. As for Felicity’s side she has a lot of going on top of helping Oliver get the company back now Ray Palmer in the mix she is pulling away like Oliver. The kiss at the end just made her more confused and she is also questioning her identity because of the position she is in. So why this may have felt off to me it was timing and a set up how the season will play out with these two.

I love the series but this episode is definately not one I'd recommend for somebody just starting to watch, it was to much a teeny drama to convince anyone other than those looking for another soap opera to watch.

Forum Regular
    I thought it was a little clunky, but overall, still a fan of the show. SPOILER...

I was a little shocked at the end. I've never been a fan of Sara. I don't know if it's the character or the actor, but I just didn't like her. Still, I wasn't ready for that.

I do feel like they set Laurel up to be a better character this season. She seems to have more or a purpose, even if it hasn't yet been established.

The scene with Barry Allen was really clunky, especially if you hadn't seen The Flash, but I like that it implied that the shows may cross over more.

That said, I thought it weighed a little too heavy on the romance. Writers gave the Olicity shippers the date they wanted without committing to anything. I'm glad Felicity stood her ground in the end. Oliver still doesn't seem like he's the great person he should be, and she deserves better. But they also blatantly set up new romance arcs, especially between Felicity and the guy who played Superman (I forget the character's name).

It seemed like 40 minuets of set-up for more of Season 2 without the edge and darkness from Season 1 I had hoped would come back.

It's still one of my favorite shows, especially with The Flash and Gotham. I know Gotham isn't tied in, but it's still fun to think that it is. The writers have given themselves a lot of directions to take the show and I'm eager to see what happens. This episode just seemed to be a bit flat, but a lot of premiers tend to be.

The episode itself was just good the ending is what made it great.

I always knew that Sarah had to die eventually so Laurel could become Canary just didn't see it happening in this episode. Sarah is like Laurel's mom in the comics they both where the 1st Canary then Laurel eventually takes the mantle and hopefully she'll get the sonic scream.

And now the question is who killed her? And I think it's either Merlin or Thea. Merlin is the obvious choice but since they didn't show his face and Sarah didn't get hostel when she saw the person I don't think it's him. And for me that leaves Thea.
    Last edited by cryhwks; 10-09-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDevil View Post
    I love the series but this episode is definately not one I'd recommend for somebody just starting to watch
    The producers would disagree with you, as would I. To each their own, though.

The episode was titled "The Calm" for a reason, now a storm is coming Mr. Wayne... Oops.

I doubt highly that it was Thea or Merlin, for Thea it would be something IMO irredeemable and Merlin probably shouldn't be around. Oh, it's nice to see Roy has upped his nonsensical (but flashy) jump/spin game! I'm going to miss Caity Lotz if just for what she brought to the show physically with her background. Going by Katie Cassidy's Instagram she's been putting a good deal of work in training and I respect that though IDK how she'll match up to Lotz's athletic ability though she probably won't have to since her style should be different and besides it'll be more the stunt double's job anyway. Wonder if she'll get on the salmon ladder this season.

Hoping they don't go overboard with the relationship drama this season and keep it scaled back to season 2 levels. God I hate shipping...
    Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 10-10-2014 at 03:06 AM.

It was a pretty good premiere, setting the stage for Season 3 on multiple fronts.

It looks like Roy is now a confident (and trusted) member of the team, I guess we'll find out later what happens if/when Thea re-enters his life.

It was also good introduction to Ray Palmer and Routh handled the part nicely. I'm on the fence how his relationship with Felicity will impact both her specifically and the show in general. If it helps to show Felicity as having a life independent of all things Team Arrow, then it could be good. If it regresses into some of the worst of the Clexana excesses on Smallville aka a character development-tainting, destiny-stalling love triangle, then it becomes just another case where CW melodrama wins over something more substantial.

Olicity was inevitably going to be addressed in the premiere, but how it was played out doesn't sit that well with me ... and Laurel and any perceived rivalry for Ollie's heart has nothing to do with it. It's clear that Ollie cares for her deeply, but it just seemed forced to make it seem like he's totally in love with her. The writing so far hasn't convinced me. Here, it's a case of the story not selling it sufficiently or making it too rushed. Subtlety might have worked, hinted at over a couple of episodes. Instead we get a hearty serving of Olicity from first date to the "break" in the relationship, all in one episode. It's as if they wanted to address most of the Olicity angles upfront while leaving themselves an out if they choose to wrap it up or ignite it again. I'm actually for a 'ship break on Arrow, for all characters in S3. They all need "me" time.

The result is the Vertigo story arc was meh, sidelined to make room for the rushed Olicity subplot. It's unfortunate because Peter Stormare is a great actor (they love Prison Break alumni!). The saving grace was that it addressed what is probably the biggest reason superhero relationships are complicated: loved ones become a target. You either risk love and risk your life and that of your significant other, or never allow yourself to get close and sacrifice companionship to pursue a higher purpose. This is likely the big S3 personal dilemma for Ollie -- what sort of hero he will be. Will the Arrow identity call the shots in his life, or Oliver Queen? Ollie fighting his public and secret self alluded to this.

Tying this to Diggle's changed status from right-hand man to future father helped to highlight this dilemma, though the nitpicker in me would wonder why Ollie didn't make the choice to downgrade Diggle's active status once he learned that Diggle was going to be a dad. We're to assume that Felicity's brush with death put the issue to the forefront, but I'm sure it must have crossed Ollie's mind eg. "Hmm, Diggle's going to be a dad. He probably shouldn't be putting his life on the line every night." Diggle is a man of action and he may be compelled to re-enter this world, if not due to Ollie then due to Waller. It will be interesting to see how their situation turns out in S3, as Diggle and Lyla have rapidly become some of my favourite characters on the series.

Capt. Lance publicly acknowledging the Arrow was a nice touch, as was Laurel's court role in ensuring the Arrow's foes face justice. While Sara's "death" was shocking, I can't say I was all that surprised. She's been on borrowed time ever since she initially left the LoA. Whether her return to SC triggered her death sentence or if it was merely the League settling old business re: her initial betrayal/desertion, the consequences for Laurel, Nyssa, Ollie and the city could be profound.

My S3 premiere rating: 8.0 / 10

(plus)
    + Ollie trying to reconcile his vigilante Arrow role with that of his public persona, a dilemma that was linked in various ways to the premiere's subplots
    + Diggle "You would have been dead ten times over if it wasn't for me!" Diggle's own reassessment of his role was a bonus. He's been the Hood / the Arrow's most reliable partner, but now he has a higher calling and the confrontation was inevitable. And both Ollie and Diggle were right.
    + The Lances. Sara's return and shocking end. Capt. Lance's own personal risk-taking, but at what cost? It seems he is also trying to reconcile his public role as cop and his private role as the Arrow's inside man. And Laurel's new role as the legal arm of Team Arrow. How she will react to Sara's "death" could be a catalyst for some interesting story arcs.

(minus)
    - Vertigo story arc. Love the actor, disliked the subplot. Not even Ollie's hallucinogen-induced battle with himself could repair it. The whole subplot was an afterthought.
    - Olicity. I don't have an issue with it as a ship, but this subplot may have been too much, too soon. Why the rush -- they could have taken their time with it, been more subtle and given it a more substantial (and dramatically satisfying) send-off/time-out. If their intent was to show viewers that Ollie loves Felicity as a soulmate, I'm still not convinced. The term "forced" keeps coming up in my mind.
    - Potential ship pairing of Ray and Felicity. It could be good, if it develops Felicity as a character and one independent of all things Team Arrow. If Ollie enters love triangle turf and starts to invoke SV Clark-like jealousies about Felicity's new relationships to "protect" her, then it could be another melodrama merry-go-round that would potentially stall all of their journeys.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast