0 0%
  • 1 - That wasn't very good at all

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Calm?"

What did you think?

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    I loved it. I noticed the new logo looks similar to the symbol on Captain Lances badge.

I liked the villain and that Ollie had to fight himself. I sort of expected the ending when it was revealed the next episode is titled "Sara."

Mild Mannered Reporter CK_ALL_DAY's Avatar
    Well this season is certainly starting off bigger than ever before. I'm still a little shocked at that ending, I mean I figured it would happen eventually, just not this soon. Excellent premiere.

Forum Whiz
    Action was good, wasn't thrilled with the Olicity moments (not that I'm against Oliver with Felicity, just it didn't feel sincere), new Count and Captain Lance was interesting. Ray Palmer... I'll let them run with it, did enjoy Felicity's retort after he took over Queen's Consolidated. Interested what happens with Diggle from here on in. Was Ted Grant in the ring for the fight?

That ending, wow. Didn't see that coming at all.

The episode as a whole was pretty solid. Not feeling this Oliver/Felicity thing, though.

Gave it an 8.

I'll agree, there was something off about the Oliver and Felicity moments but their relationship is supposedly going to keep progressing through the whole season.

Banned
    It was a solid episode and the Sarah thing in all honesty I expected it to happen last season in the finale perhaps.

Oh and we're finally getting Star City not that god awful Starling City.

Quote Originally Posted by maasaloo View Post
    It was a solid episode and the Sarah thing in all honesty I expected it to happen last season in the finale perhaps.

Oh and we're finally getting Star City not that god awful Starling City.
    Quite happy that's finally happening. Calling it Starling City always confused me, but now we're all good

Board Master
    It seems that they're trying to align with the mythos after the first 2 seasons. The ending with Sarah's demise was something that should have happened last season and it was a leftover from the League of Assassins storyline. It now opens the door for Dinah Laurel to become Black Canary. Brandon Routh did great as Ray Palmer, better than he did as Superman and we get the Star City name. Loved seeing Oliver and Roy teaming up to fight crime in costumes.

That was wild. I wasn't expecting that at all. I don't spoil myself that much on the shows I watch so...

Also glad it's finally going to be called Star City.

All in all I think it was a good ep.

Posting Pro
    Whoa first I was not expecting the ending. Ok Sara dead and Laurel will eventually become the new Canary. It looks like there not going to screw her up this year. I hope they don't. Now moving on to Oliver and Felicity date no real big surprises there because I think we all knew how that was going to end. Ray Palmer is ok I guess. The fight scenes well I'm curious on how was the new Count able to beat Oliver almost twice in hand to hand combat. I guess I'm used to very well done fight scenes from this show now so maybe its hard for me to tell anymore.

In Hong Kong well Waller is one very cruel woman but that's nothing we already didn't know. Seeing Roy in the suit was a very well it's about time moment along with the bringing back of "You Have Failed This City" line.

This episode was the opening of season 3 so it's setting up a lot of things to carry through the rest of the season.

The Force is Strong!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Training the next generation of Jedi legends
    9 out of 10

It was a nonstop action packed season premiere. They went guns blazing from beginning to end...

The new logo
    Captain Lance
    Team Arrow kicking butt...loved it.
    Starling City becoming Star City
    Diggle/Oliver moments...the Bromance
    Olicity
    Sara's demise
    It had everything one episode. If this is any indication of the season...it's going to be by far the best season.

New In Town
    I literally said five seconds before Sara walked to her death that she was going to die soon. Laurel Lance, always trying to save the world, kinda hints a something. Now at least the process has begun of her becoming Black Canary. Also, calling right now that Ra's Al Ghul killed Sara. Overall, awesome way to begin Season 3.

Did they absolutely say they are changing the name of the city? I thought it just might be just an easter egg and Ray Palmer playing off the nickname of the city.

This episode (for the most part) was pretty "calm". Well at least until the end! It almost didn't feel like an episode of Arrow since Ollie and the team seemed pretty happy for once......or at least they were. I'm trying to think but there's not much I didn't like about this episode. The Ollie/Felicity relationship was a little strange but it was fine and I like Ollie telling Felicity "Don't ask me to tell you that I don't care". Laurel was even written well in this episode but after Sara's death, I wonder how exactly the writers are going to handle her character this season since they obviously have handled her so well in the past (/sarcasm). The "new" Count Vertigo was cool I guess but I was expected a little more. And is he dead? I don't think that was very clear at the end. Not sure what's going on with China flashbacks yet. Need to see more there. And what a way to end things by killing off a character in the premier episode. I knew it was coming but didn't think it would happen this soon. Caity Lotz was at comic-con and in a lot of interviews over the summer. So maybe we'll see her character in flashbacks. My favorite take-aways include:

*Roy as Speedy/Red Arrow/Arsenal or whatever he goes by
    *Sara comes back to kick-butt (and get killed )
    *Oliver asks Felicity to italian during a high speed chase
    *B.T.W. Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer was pretty cool (see what I did there! )
    *BABY DIGGLE
    *The drugged Ollie vs. halucination Ollie was really cool to watch!

9 out of 10

I wouldn't say this is my favorite episode of the series so far, but it's still a good one.

Posting Pro
    I think it's safe to say that the the calm is over, and the storm begun. A new Count Vertigo rises from the ashes with his own twist on the infamous drug. Arsenal and the Arrow face off with the criminals, and Oliver's relationship with his IT girl is on the rocks as he finds himself unable to be both Oliver Queen and the Arrow. Captain Lance now faces the horrible truth of having to sit behind a desk while others fight in his stead, though he's helped.

As for Sara and her death: as others have said, it was all but inevitable. They gave us a semi-happy ending for her last year, but if there is one thing which the Arrow writers are exceptionally good at, it's taking Shakespearian tragedy to its depths for their series. We all knew that if Laurel was to become the Black Canary, it would need to have a catalyst. Sara was always going to die, even if some (myself included) wished otherwise. She has been a tragic figure since day 1, and it is an unfortunate truth that tragic figures are never going to get a happy ending.

Now, as far as the perpetrator of the crime, I see three options:

Komodo (though for what reason, I don't kn0w).

Malcolm - I have this feeling that he intends to draw the League into a conflict in Starling, and killing the Beloved of Nyssa would draw her, and eventually when the killer's identity is revealed, her father to Star(ling) City.

Ra's Al'Ghul - Considering the Shakespearean nature of the series, and Ra's' place in Sara's life (an almost parent-like figure I'd guess since she si close to Nyssa), this would fit in with the betrayal themes of the series.

Considering Caity is slated for three episodes, I was expecting her to die in the third one. One can now assume that one of the episodes will be her funeral, and the third will involve a flashback.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast