Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Balloonman?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a good episode, not great. Balloonman might not exude the "cool" factor in the way some of Gotham (or Arrow's) more prominent villains do, but in the context of where the series is -- the calm before the storm aka the underworld war that is about to explode -- he suited the episode. Linking it to Bruce's own journey was also good.

The Jim - Barbara secrets and lies dance continues -- we'll see how it plays out with Penguin's arrival.

I don't really have as much of an issue with Fish's character, though I can understand how viewers might perceive her performances as "over the top". I'd agree that none of them are playing it straight. This isn't as much of an issue for Fish when she is not the only character portrayed with a heightened sense of drama. I don't have a problem with Gotham villains being less realistic and more operatic, for lack of a better term. In a city that gives rises to the likes of Poison Ivy, Joker, Two-Face etc. ... this suits their world. And in this universe, Fish fits in. While it is a fine line between how she's playing it and being campy, so far I don't think she's crossed that line.

(I can, however, think of a couple of Arrow villains who definitely fall into the campy zone in their performances, when it may have been best if they didn't. )

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
      That's why it hurt her when her boy-toy got beat up. She actually cared about him. That's also why she was just looking for an excuse to kill him. She can't be seen as vulnerable. She has to be in control, so the charade of her, the performance of her has to remain consistent.
      I will say that I found her reaction to Lazlo (or whatever his name was) getting beat up was interesting. If she would pepper in more reactions/performances like that, maybe I would like her more.

Also, pretending that she didn't know who mugged Falcone's girlfriend. Did she really believe that he bought that she didn't set that up? If she did, she's very naive. He's on to her.

Honestly, I don't think any of them are playing it totally straight. They're all heightened performances. Even Gordon. Everyone's reaction to everything is over the top, dramatic, and either loud or gruff or both.
      Well, I was mainly comparing her performance to those of her goons. None of them are going over the top like she is. It just makes her stick out and not in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
        Also, pretending that she didn't know who mugged Falcone's girlfriend. Did she really believe that he bought that she didn't set that up? If she did, she's very naive. He's on to her.
        I think there's more subtext to that scene. It is my interpretation that he knows, she knows, and she wanted him to know. But by taking out his girlfriend, she's also "playing the game". She could have gone after him directly for what he did to Lazlo (or whatever his name was). She didn't. Falcone beat up her boy, so she had his girl taken down. She didn't take out his men. She didn't take out him. In a way, it actually shows subservience. She only got her revenge up to the level he previously set. She then "played her role" in person, just as she always has.
        Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 10-07-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
          I think there's more subtext to that scene. It is my interpretation that he knows, she knows, and she wanted him to know. But by taking out his girlfriend, she's also "playing the game". She could have gone after him directly for what he did to Lazlo (or whatever his name was). She didn't. Falcone beat up her boy, so she had his girl taken down. She didn't take out his men. She didn't take out him. In a way, it actually shows subservience. She only got her revenge up to the level he previously set. She then "played her role" in person, just as she always has.
          Hmmm...that's another way of looking at it, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
            I have to be honest: I gave it a 6. There were parts that were just dreadful. Killing people via weather balloons? It was just...silly.

Ben Mackenize, Donal Logue, and Robin Lord Taylor as The Penguin are the only actors that make this watchable.

I've about had it up to here with Pinkett-Smith's over-acting.

Seriously hoping next week is an improvement over this episode.
            It's Gotham, where later on people will get killed with a acid filled joke flower and an umbrella that shoots bullets so the idea of a weather balloon isn't that far fetched, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Joker do that.

Comment

My review (crossposted from elsewhere):
              I'm starting to play in a bowling league on Monday nights and can't watch the show LIVE, so I barely saw last night's ep, and this show just keeps on getting better and better.

The city itself and its chaos and corruption is as much a main character as any of the human leads, and the episode really demonstrated that. The show is very much living up to all of its key conceptual cornerstones, and it was nice to see an episode focusing on the first since the previous two episodes had focused more on the second (explore the origins of some of Batman's iconic adversaries) and third (exploring the idea that Jim Gordon was the one who investigated the Waynes' murder).

I don't know about anyone else, but I love this more gruff version of Alfred; he strikes me as being very Victorian-Era British, which is a refreshing take on the character. It's obvious that he cares for Bruce very much; he's just not somebody who's going to 'mollycoddle' him.

I'm really enjoying Jim Gordon; Ben McKenzie plays the character perfectly, and he continues to play off Donal Logue and other actors very well. I can't help but wonder what his speech to Barbara about taking the law into one's own hands making the law meaningless is going to mean for his eventual relationship with the Batman, and am hoping that the PtBs will be able to find a way to answer that question while the show is on the air.

Renee and Barbara have a really interesting and complicated relationship, but I love that Barbara's not going to give an inch when it comes to believing and loving Jim; it really says a lot about who she is as a person.

I really don't understand Cobblepot's thinking in showing up at Barbara's doorstep, but hopefully that's something that we'll get an explanation about at some point. It seems rather stupid to me, and Cobblepot hadn't really demonstrated stupidity.

Selina continues to be awesome, and I really like the dynamic that she has with Gordon.

Did anyone notice if we saw Corey Michael Smith's Nygma in this episode? Because if we didn't, he's the only main cast member we didn't see.

I'd give this episode a 9 out of 10.

Comment

I don't think Nygma was in this episode, which is a shame, because I like him.

I still think Gotham has some issues with tone. Some moments it is serious, and others it is campy over the top. Sometimes it's the music that takes me out of the scenes.

Still loving Penguin/Oswald and his story. Still loving Selina. And I LOVED the clocktower motif at Barbara's apartment. I like the development of Allen and Montoya being on to what Gordon did or did not do, and so early, though not feeling any chemistry between Montoya and Barbara at all. No issue with that storyline, just the lack of chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by DigificWriter
                  I don't know about anyone else, but I love this more gruff version of Alfred; he strikes me as being very Victorian-Era British, which is a refreshing take on the character. It's obvious that he cares for Bruce very much; he's just not somebody who's going to 'mollycoddle' him.
                  I'm not digging it quite yet, but I like that he's not just another rehash of every Alfred we've already seen. It seems like they've found a neat way to stay true to the character AND try something new at the same time.

Comment

Perhaps this Alfred is getting to the point were most fans are familiar with him. Remember we've never seen Bruce in his younger/teenage years. We actually don't know what approach Alfred took with him.

Comment

Best of the three so far, in my opinion. I really like the way they're establishing how the absence of justice is leading to vigilantism. I've never been a comic buff, but I've never seen that notion established, only explored after said city is full of villains and heroes.

As for the overall show, it's really rounded out the three superhero shows I like, along with Arrow and now The Flash. I like that the Dollmaker has already been mentioned in Gotham after being in an episode of Arrow. I doubt the networks will ever cross over, but it's fun that it's open to interpretation.

I've always been a fan of the darker cop dramas as well as the comic book movies, especially the bleak ones like the recent Batmans. I like how this integrates the typical themes found in cop dramas paired with villains and vigilantes that haven't really been established as caricatures. It makes it seem plausible, but it also makes the bevy of endless cop dramas seem dull by comparison. I hope it sticks around for a while.

Comment

After seeing the episode and reading these posts I get the problems people had with it and the show in general but I just find it so entertaining.

Still, this was the worst episode so far but it had it's moments. The comedic scenes with Selina or Bullock getting his ass beat in that apartment were gold. And for me they totally work with the more serious stuff even if death by weather balloon might not be graphically disturbing. As a method of killing it was really memorable though. The bit where the old lady got squished was tragicomic in the best way possible and totally suits the cynical surroundings of Gotham.

Penguin moved up in the world. It happened rather fast but fairly believably and was a joy to watch. I honestly thought he'd stay out of town longer and I would have been okay with that as well. The cliffhanger was surprising and should make things interesting in the next episode. Still doesn't mean Gordon's off the hook for killing Oswald though. Even if he is I'd imagine things to get even harder on him.

I totally get why Fish Mooney might annoy people and I certainly advocate giving the actress more things to do but...she's just so entertaining. I think she's one of the highlights of the show and really gives it character. My prediction is Fish Mooney will be eventually introduced in the comics.

Gave the episode a 7 since despite it being good it didn't really do any wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                          I totally get why Fish Mooney might annoy people and I certainly advocate giving the actress more things to do but...she's just so entertaining. I think she's one of the highlights of the show and really gives it character.
                          She's had a couple good moments, some more interesting than others. I'll give her that. As of now, I would classify her as a trainwreck – something you pass by momentarily and try not to look at. However, you keep looking.

On another note, I wonder if Fish Mooney is her real name (or just a code name she goes by)? Seriously, what mother would name their daughter Fish? I could buy it, if she was abusing Meth, but...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎