Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of the Gotham Pilot?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 and I feel like I'm being generous, I already had low expectations but the first two or three minutes made me realize I didn't set them low enough from newly bought, nearly empty milk jugs to how poorly the Wayne murders was handled and that scream which was RotS Vader "NOOOO" levels of being so bad it was funny. Needlessly ham fisted in bringing in Batman rogues and name dropping that didn't need to be there or especially in the first episode and since its not an actual pilot I'm not going to give them a pass on it nor the other issues that came about that don't fall under first episode rough edges and just plain bad writing. It was shot well outside of that weird shot during the chase that just looked stupid. Catgirl creeping around in already full costume in so many scenes was just silly. Even if it were a pilot (which it isn't since the show went direct to series) it'd be the worst pilot for shows I've had interest in, in years but it's even worse since they did not have the typical pilot pressures so I can't be as forgiving.

I really do hope it wasn't a real indication of the quality of what's to come, I'll keep watching and do hope that it'll get better because I can't imagine it getting much worse. A little subtly would go a long freaking way.
    Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 09-28-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I thought that it was pretty great... but it kind of felt weird that they thought that they needed to cram as much as batman cameos as they could into the pilot.

I'm also puzzled as to why they felt they had to change Poison ivy's real name from Pamela Isley to Ivy Peppers. Her father could had been called Mario Isley, and it wouldn't had changed much. that sort of thing. But then again... I get the feeling that she could be a red herring and not actually the real thing at all. After all, they did say they were going to set up shitloads of red herrings.... that guys we thought were gonna turn bad would actually turn out to be good guys.

Comment

Red herrings are for the Joker though as said by the producers not Poison Ivy and Poison Ivy isn't someone major who you'd that for anyway. let alone one who is 12 i think.

Comment

You actually said Poison Ivy isn't a major player..... excuse me? Have you not read the comics or watched any of the cartoons??

Poison Ivy is definitely one of the top big bads, and is as much of an iconic baddie like the Joker is. And they already showed a 13-year-old cat-woman... So I don't see why they couldn't have Poison Ivy get the red herring treatment despite her age.

Comment

They originally had her be Pamela Isley in the original pilot but apparently test screenings wanted her name be changed so it would be clear to non comic readers she would be Poison Ivy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
              You actually said Poison Ivy isn't a major player..... excuse me? Have you not read the comics or watched any of the cartoons??

Poison Ivy is definitely one of the top big bads, and is as much of an iconic baddie like the Joker is. And they already showed a 13-year-old cat-woman... So I don't see why they couldn't have Poison Ivy get the red herring treatment despite her age.
              I have she is a biggie but not tier 1 level for Batman but they won't do that for someone like Poison Ivy. They're done doing that for The Joker ,which is understandable. Selina Kyle is also a bigger character than Poison Ivy.

Joker is another tier up from Ivy.
              Last edited by maasaloo; 09-29-2014, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                They originally had her be Pamela Isley in the original pilot but apparently test screenings wanted her name be changed so it would be clear to non comic readers she would be Poison Ivy.
                As if the fact that she was a redhead who carried around plants or constantly hung out around plants didn't make it obvious that she was going to be Poison ivy? No, they had to make sure to bludgeon us over the head with a giant, flashing sign that screamed that this was a future poison ivy. Sometimes it's truly appalling how dumb the TV exes think we are... apparently they think most TV viewers are drooling idiots whose IQs barely reach past the number five.

Comment

They can always have "Ivy" put into the system and lead to her name being changed by adoptive parents or something.

Comment

Really liked It! I look forward to see it run for a succesful series for the next five to seven years! Smallville started out pretty good, but it was geared towards high school and college students. Well done!
                    Last edited by MRGOTHFAN; 10-01-2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Really loved it it's on par with smallville .

Comment

On paper I wasn't looking forward to this at all but after seeing the Pilot I must say I liked it a lot.

The visuals of Gotham (City) felt like a dingy 80's cop show in the best way possible. The ginormous cemetery and the long drive to Wayne Manor really set the look and tone with very little screen time. I also like how Selina's character used these "sets".

Ben McKenzie did the best he could and was believable as young James Gordon. Bullock complimented Gordon nicely by just how crooked he was as opposed to the war hero. Them two hanging upside down was hilarious. Fish Mooney and Carmine Falcone really set up an interesting relationship with the corrupt Gotham police force. Gordon having to clean up the force might just be the number one motivation/theme of the show.

Oddly enough you didn't even need Bruce Wayne in the Pilot but what he and Alfred got was appreciated. I like how the show avoided the crappy CW approach when Gordon came to tell Bruce they got the wrong man. The kid took the news better than any adult character on Arrow would have (until conviniently the end of the episode happens).

Some people think the Pilot tried to do too much and I can see why but for me, the show kept the ball rolling and there wasn't a dull moment in it. The cameos of Ivy and Nygma were cool, didn't feel that hamfisted to me. Penguin really made an impact, the actor playing him was terrific!

I give the episode a solid 8.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎