Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just realized something slightly disturbing about Nell Potter...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJ Doena
    In Truth she basically tells Chloe under the truth spell that she hates this town and just wants to get out of it because of her "fairy princess" backstory. But with the exception of Perry, it's almost exclusively her who brings that or her dead parents up.
    I've been doing some thinking into that. Lana claims that she wants to leave Smallville and put all that behind her, but she kept finding excuses not to leave. In Smallville, she's the poor girl who lost her parents (though, you'd think a lot of people lost loved ones on the day of the first meteor shower). She carried a necklace that reminded both herself and others of her parents deaths. If she left for Metropolis or anywhere else, she would no longer be the poor girl who lost her parents, but just like everyone else. She'd vanish in the crowd (and there's bound to be girls with more tragic stories than her). The necklace would mean nothing to nobody else. For some reason, when I think about Lana constantly reminding people about her parents, I find myself picturing a little girl, who is given free candy, because the store owner felt sorry for her. Teaching her that her suffering would get her candy. As time passed, this type of thing began to happen less and less, as everyone moved on. So, she started reminding people about the death of her parents, to ensure things stayed the way it had been before. She may not have been the one who permitted the photo of her, after the meteor shower, to be put on the cover of magazines (pretty sure Nell would've had to have given the papers permission to do that; So, that's one more negative thing. She allowed her niece's tragedy to be splashed on the cover of national newspapers), but some part of her crave the attention the incident brought her.

As she departs Smallville, she leaves the possibility of attention behind her. She's not longer the poor girl who lost her parents, but just another teenager. While writing, this I'm realizing I can probably connect Lana giving herself super powers to a craving for attention. She did it after Clark became world known as the "Red-Blue Blur". Showing her a way, to acquire attention outside of Smallville. So, she returns to Smallville, gives herself super powers and then wants to work alongside Clark, hoping that some of the attention he gets will rub off on her.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
      I've been doing some thinking into that. Lana claims that she wants to leave Smallville and put all that behind her, but she kept finding excuses not to leave. In Smallville, she's the poor girl who lost her parents (though, you'd think a lot of people lost loved ones on the day of the first meteor shower). She carried a necklace that reminded both herself and others of her parents deaths. If she left for Metropolis or anywhere else, she would no longer be the poor girl who lost her parents, but just like everyone else. She'd vanish in the crowd (and there's bound to be girls with more tragic stories than her). The necklace would mean nothing to nobody else. For some reason, when I think about Lana constantly reminding people about her parents, I find myself picturing a little girl, who is given free candy, because the store owner felt sorry for her. Teaching her that her suffering would get her candy. As time passed, this type of thing began to happen less and less, as everyone moved on. So, she started reminding people about the death of her parents, to ensure things stayed the way it had been before. She may not have been the one who permitted the photo of her, after the meteor shower, to be put on the cover of magazines (pretty sure Nell would've had to have given the papers permission to do that; So, that's one more negative thing. She allowed her niece's tragedy to be splashed on the cover of national newspapers), but some part of her crave the attention the incident brought her.
      Nell gave her the necklace. Lana herself pretended she didn't have a problem for years because she wanted to be like how Nell said her mom was, but began to think twice when she found out that her mom seemed to want similar things as her. Lana was shown to not like the attention. When asked by Perry, she rejects it and wants him gone. She leaves in s3 and isn't seeking attention in that time.
      As she departs Smallville, she leaves the possibility of attention behind her. She's not longer the poor girl who lost her parents, but just another teenager. While writing, this I'm realizing I can probably connect Lana giving herself super powers to a craving for attention. She did it after Clark became world known as the "Red-Blue Blur". Showing her a way, to acquire attention outside of Smallville. So, she returns to Smallville, gives herself super powers and then wants to work alongside Clark, hoping that some of the attention he gets will rub off on her.
      Lana wanted to do it without telling anyone. It only happened because Chloe asked. I think Lana was shown to want power, not attention, in regards to the suit.
      Last edited by Dagenspear; 10-01-2018, 02:12 AM.

Comment

yeah, Lana doesn't really strike me as the attention-seeking type. I think the few times she behaved in a way that was attention-seeking, was somewhat unintentional. not that it makes it any less annoying.

I think that Lana at her core just wants to feel secure and safe. A lot of her character flaws comes from the fact that she's constantly feeling insecure about a lot of things, and she honestly doesn't know how to deal or cope with that in a healthy way at all. Again, it comes back to Aunt Nell in this thread and how much of a ****** parent she was.... it says a lot about Nell how she pretty much fed Lana's insecurity by constantly comparing her to a idealized version of Laura Lang that never existed. I know for sure that Nell pretty much nitpicked at Lana, saying that she wasn't as perfect as her mother was, etc.

In a way, What Nell did to Lana was borderline abuse. constantly criticizing a child, breaking down her self-esteem and sense of security? Pushing her to be a carbon copy of this idealized person who never really existed expect in Nell's mind? Lana seemed to act like this was normal behavior for Aunt Nell, so it makes me wonder how long this was going on... and if she started doing this ever since her sister Laura Lang was killed in the meteor shower.

I think a person can be toxic without being outright abusive... and as an result I think she wasn't a good influence on Lana Lang.

So is it any wonder why Lana Lang would then express her insecurity about things in toxic ways too? And that she only finally felt secure in herself and everything around her when she finally gained superpowers?

Comment

Too bad we never saw any male members of the Potter clan. Considering the behavior of Louise, Nell, Laura and Lana, I can't help but wonder what the male half of their family is like.
          Last edited by jon-el87; 11-12-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            Too bad we never saw any male members of the Potter clan. Considering the behavior of Louise, Nell, Laura and Chloe, I can't help but wonder what the male half of their family is like.
            I get the feeling that if they did, it wouldn't be seen in a good light. I mean, Louise alone was three-timing people. She was married to some unseen husband off-screen, but seemed to be stringing along Sheriff William Nate as her side boyfriend. And then she got tired of him once she set her eyes on "Joe", and felt that sleeping with some drifter guy was far more exciting than cheating on her husband with the local sheriff. Such a cheating jebezel, yet the show presents this like it's some kind of tragic romance and that the cheating aspect was somehow normal and okay.

I think if they had presented the male side of the Potter/Lang family, they would be portrayed as largely clueless about what their wives were really up to. To the point that it made them look like total morons who deserved to be cheated on just because. In fact, I'm sure Smallville would go out of it's way to find some way to justify the cheating.... because the Potter/Lang women can do no wrong at all. Especially when women like Louise looks exactly like Lana Lang.

At least Laura had the decent excuse of it happening when she was separated from Mr. Lang for a while, so Mr. Lang didn't get cheated on here. Presumably Mr.Lang was also seeing other people during that time. So the worst thing Laura could've done is telling her husband that Lana Lang was his when in reality she was conceived during the affair with Mr. Small (who was a married man).
            But if they wanted to make Mr. Lang look good, they could do a scene where he knows that Lana isn't his, but loves his wife and is willing to take Lana in like she was his daughter. Especially if it means he gets back together with Laura. Of course, to men out there this would just make him look like a lovesick fool who forgave his wife way too easily.... and making him look like a fool for taking care of a baby that he knew wasn't his.

By the way, did you mean Lana Lang, not Chloe right?

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎