No announcement yet.

The Greatest American Hero (FOX)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest American Hero (FOX)

EXCLUSIVE: A Steven J. Cannell cult classic is getting a reboot at FOX. The network has given a pilot commitment to The Greatest American Hero, a new take on the 1981 sci-fi dramedy, which is being shepherded by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, directors of the successful feature franchise based on another ’80s TV series by Cannell, 21 Jump Street. Lord and Miller will executive produce the hourlong action comedy alongside Cannell’s daughter, television director Tawnia McKiernan. Written/exec produced by Rodney Rothman and produced by 20th TV.
    The new Greatest American Hero will chronicle inner-city teacher Isaac’s adventures after his discovery of a superhero suit that gives him superhuman abilities. Unfortunately for Isaac, he hates wearing the suit and has to learn how to use its powers by trial and error because he quickly misplaces the suit’s instructions. He also has to deal with a government handler who has very different objectives than him and struggles as to whether he should use his newfound gifts to help others or just himself.
    The original series, created by TV legend Cannell and starring William Katt and Robert Culp, aired for three seasons on ABC.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/greatest...ot-fox-826823/

This was a little bit before my time, so I wasn't aware of the original before now. I get an "Inspector Gadget" vibe to the plot of this series. And given what we have with Arrow, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and soon Gotham it will be nice to see something lighter on tv but, still in the vain of the superhero genre.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 11-20-2014, 07:41 PM.

Ive seen some of the original show. Not bad and i could see it working if done right. What id like to see happen is before the new show debuts, have Fox and Netflix team up and show the original pilot. Maybe even show more episodes on FX Network. Then u could have Netflix put episodes of both shows up. First the original then the new one.

Comment

Why would FOX and Netflix have to team up and show the original pilot? If Netflix wants it, all they have to do is license it... though really, anyone who wants to see the original series can get it VERY cheaply on DVD...the entire original series can be bought in a set for under $20.

I actually think showing the original series could negatively cloud the new... either people will think it's too silly, OR maybe the new version will lack the charm and character the original series had, so it'd have unfair comparisons that way. It's going to be hard, especially not having Robert Culp's excellent Bill Maxwell character.

Fortunately, the younger generation might only know the show from its excellent theme song, so it's a blank slate... but I'm still not sure. I think the Greatest American Hero is a concept that might be difficult to get 100% right, but I'd hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
        And given what we have with Arrow, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and soon Gotham it will be nice to see something lighter on tv but, still in the vain of the superhero genre.
        I think the Flash would fall into that category - it's not as dour and dark as the other comic book shows on the air, and it's REALLY hard to watch and not smile throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
          Why would FOX and Netflix have to team up and show the original pilot? If Netflix wants it, all they have to do is license it... though really, anyone who wants to see the original series can get it VERY cheaply on DVD...the entire original series can be bought in a set for under $20.

I actually think showing the original series could negatively cloud the new... either people will think it's too silly, OR maybe the new version will lack the charm and character the original series had, so it'd have unfair comparisons that way. It's going to be hard, especially not having Robert Culp's excellent Bill Maxwell character.

Fortunately, the younger generation might only know the show from its excellent theme song, so it's a blank slate... but I'm still not sure. I think the Greatest American Hero is a concept that might be difficult to get 100% right, but I'd hope for the best.
          I think you make a very good point, Craig. As much as I loved the original show for its concept, if they did show the original series as well as the reboot, it might confuse the issue for those who aren't old enough to have seen the original show. Let's also not forget the, as rumour has it, deplorable Greatest American Heroine, which I think was an attempt at a continuation which failed (they never showed it here in NZ, that I remember).

I've seen it a few times with other shows where they either do a 'reboot' or continuation and the show ends up being compared unfairly with the old (eg Knight Rider 2008). What was good about the concept of shows like Smallville was even though it hadn't been that long since Lois and Clark: TNAOS they went in a different direction. I get the reboot, but I don't know, I think it would have been better if they went in a slightly different direction rather than copying the same concept if the above synopsis is anything to be believed.

Comment

Sorry i got a little jumbled up with my words. Meant to say Fox would show the pilot then Netflix could show more episodes. Sorry was distracted by Doctor Who.

Didnt know how cheap the original series was on dvd. Is it still available in stores? Someone told me it was out of print.

Yeah i heard about the Heroine show. I think Entertainment Weekly talked about it and not in a nice way either.

I would like to see the original series on Netflix though.

The fact that its getting a reboot makes me wonder if Fox may be looking at other shows to do that to as well.
            Last edited by Austin 3:16; 08-30-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I remember watching TGAH as a teenager when they showed reruns on FX – back when they were a retro channel (believe it or not). I liked it. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either. What I liked most about it was that he had this suit bestowed upon him and he was such a bumbling, unlikely hero who did the best he could.

If it all comes to fruition, maybe the pilot could start the same way as the original. Then, towards the end, have William Katt show up and pass the torch to whoever gets the suit. Kind of like a "careful what you wish for" type of speech or whatever. A cameo for fans of the original series, at least.

Comment

I just checked youtube and they have the entire series up (though, depending on your region the videos may be blocked):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mazmv...IrqiMLxUaxo4QF

I may just watch the pilot later on.
                Last edited by darkphoenix21; 08-30-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Yeah i remember when FX was a retro channel. Thats y i was suggesting FX to show the pilot. They used to show programs like Mission: Impossible, the Adam West and Burt Ward Batman and stuff like The Pet Department. Then after awhile it changed to what it currently is today.

Id love to see William Katt show up to pass the torch. Too bad Robert Culp passed away. Him showing up on the new show would've been cool too. Is William Katt the only actor still around from the original series?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                    Yeah i remember when FX was a retro channel. Thats y i was suggesting FX to show the pilot. They used to show programs like Mission: Impossible, the Adam West and Burt Ward Batman and stuff like The Pet Department. Then after awhile it changed to what it currently is today.

Id love to see William Katt show up to pass the torch. Too bad Robert Culp passed away. Him showing up on the new show would've been cool too. Is William Katt the only actor still around from the original series?
                    Michael (the guy who played Tony) is the only one other than William Katt who seems to be still working. Faye hasn't done anything for a while and Connie hasn't done anything for a couple of years.

Comment

Sad to see so many of them arent working anymore. I hope maybe along with William Katt we will see some of the others do cameos on the show. Kinda like what happened when Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Marc McClure and Terence Stamp were each on Smallville once in awhile.

Comment

Sad to see so many of them arent working anymore. I hope maybe along with William Katt we will see some of the others do cameos on the show. Kinda like what happened when Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Marc McClure and Terence Stamp were each on Smallville once in awhile.
                        I don't think it will make a difference if some of the original cast make appearances in the reboot. Most will not know who they are. It's not a property many know right off the bat. especially the people associated with the property. I definitely didn't know about it until now and I was born in the mid-80s. Smallville because of the nature of it was different....everyone has seen the old films at one point or another; it's one of those properties that as dated and campy as it is will be seen from generation to generation.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz
                          I think you make a very good point, Craig. As much as I loved the original show for its concept, if they did show the original series as well as the reboot, it might confuse the issue for those who aren't old enough to have seen the original show. Let's also not forget the, as rumour has it, deplorable Greatest American Heroine, which I think was an attempt at a continuation which failed (they never showed it here in NZ, that I remember).
                          The Greatest American Heroine was done in 1986 (I think), three years after the original show ended, and it was an attempt to bring the show back. It did exist - as a 20 minute presentation - and somehow, the TV gods spliced it together with clips from the old show and added it to the syndicated package and made it the 46th (or whatever episode #) episode. Chances are it probably has aired there, and it just wasn't realized because it was presented as an episode of the Greatest American Hero.

It was kind of a failure but also smart that they got their money back by adding it to the package - also, "Heroine" would have had Robert Culp as Bill Maxwell in it, and Culp was so perfect, it's really hard to picture this show without him in any form.

Comment

I was actually on the fX channel back when they had those live shows! I appeared on BackChat and Breakfast Time, live in the studio. Somewhere I have a picture with Jack the dog.

William Katt is still alive, and he even did an episode of Heroes where his character wasn't memorable but did something important enough that he was in the "previously on..." for most of Season 3.

Connie Selleca who played his love interest Pam is also still alive, as are most if not all of the students.

I'm sure, in success, they probably will have cameos or nods to the original - like maybe William Katt as another teacher or something - but I kind of expect this to be all new. And, sadly, Culp is the one I would have most wanted to see on the show, and that's not possible anymore. Really, if you catch the original series he was by and large the best part.

Comment

sadly, Culp is the one I would have most wanted to see on the show, and that's not possible anymore. Really, if you catch the original series he was by and large the best part.
                              I have to agree with you there. In many ways, he was the straight-man to Katt's comedy and definitely the best part of the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎