Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 5 - Girl of Steel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 5 - Girl of Steel

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards part 5 – Girl of Steel

Continuing from Time Shards Part 1 –Battle.

Superman had just used the Eye of Rao to go back in time in an attempt to prepare Earth for Darkseid’s final assault. The plan he and Kara Zor El Kent came up with was to resurrect the Justice League, creating the group of superheroes much earlier in Earth’s history.

After destroying Darkseid’s Black Fleet flagship, The Death’s Face, Kara soared out into the vacuum of space. The alien beauty could survive for a long period of time without oxygen, but not indefinitely. Her intent was to reach Captain Ryla Stardragon’s warship, The Dragon’s Beckon, to check on her cousin Kal El and attempt to gain the secrets to the operation of the ancient talisman, the Eye of Rao.

The Supergirl had turned her back on the Dragon’s Beckon, and the rest of the IRM assault fleet for a few seconds, just to watch the Death’s Face explode and presumably survey the area with her X-Ray vision for any survivors. Capt. Stardragon’s medical frigate could certainly handle any casualties.

Kara felt an energy surge that disrupted her intended flight pattern. She closed her eyes as the turbulent wave buffeted her from all sides. Had something else exploded? She wondered. Kara warily opened one eye, and saw…nothing! There were no starships, no protective neural net, no flaming debris, and Earth seemed to silently spin beneath her. The Earth’s moon was fine, and only a few manmade satellites, including one from Queen Industries, rotated in orbit far above Earth’s bluish seas, and land masses.

Had Kal Els’ hastily conceived plan worked?
    Last edited by gardy1; 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Girl of Steel – Chapter 1
    Kara began to feel dizzy and nauseous, an indication that she needed to head back to Earth for some oxygen. The battle with Darkseid and the subsequent destruction of the Death’s Face had been a drain on her energy level. The Supergirl dove for the outer reaches of Earth’s atmosphere.

Kara was momentarily blinded by the intense electromagnetic charges, and gamma ray bursts that delayed her reentry. To the people of Earth, the alien beauty would appear to be a shooting star, or falling debris from a passing satellite. The burning sensation of barreling through Earth’s atmosphere wouldn’t affect Kara much. She found it to be at most, irritating.

Finally reaching the cooler air beneath the superheated atmosphere, Kara felt different, like something was missing. She seemed to feel lighter, more maneuverable. She briefly checked out the Metropolis skyline. It seemed different, like the buildings weren’t as numerous, the sky ports were nowhere to be seen, and the Air Swift monorail looked like it hadn’t been built yet. At the moment Kara was concentrating on her landing. She angled low above the Kansas wheat fields, and sprawling cornstalks, quickly zipping below any of Earth’s common radar frequencies.

Kara zeroed in on Smallville, and eventually slowed upon reaching the Kent Farm. The next mission was to head up north toward Kal El’s ice fortress, to attempt to locate the second Eye of Rao that she’d brought with her on her ill-fated flight from Krypton. The farmhouse seemed newer, like it had been recently rebuilt. A single occupant stood by the kitchen sink…It can’t be! Kara thought excitedly.

She landed softly on the wraparound porch that lined the front and side of the Kent farmhouse. The Girl of Steel opened the screened in front door, walked through the kitchen, and kissed Martha Kent on the cheek. “Hi Aunt Martha!” She began cheerfully. Martha Kent dropped the dish she’d been washing on the floor. It shattered into a dozen pieces. “Whoa! Sorry to startle you!” Kara apologized.

Immediately, Kara used her super speed to pick up the sharp pieces, go to the pantry and grab a bottle of ceramic glue, and systematically paste all of the pieces together. “There, as good as new, sort of.” Kara reddened. “I guess we should let that set overnight.”

“What…What are you doing here?” Martha paled as she spoke. “As far as I know, I still live here, unless you, Uncle Jonathan and Kal have kicked me out.” Kara answered warily. “Kara…you’ve been dead for four years!” Martha dropped the bomb. “What? No I haven’t!” She defended anxiously. “What makes you think that?” Martha grabbed a glass of water and sat down hard on a kitchen chair.

Kara sat across the table from Martha. “You know that virtually nothing on Earth can kill me right? Save overexposure to kryptonite.” She reasoned. “Four years ago…” Martha’s voice wavered, “You were killed in a battle with Darkseid. Kal, uh Clark, Jonathan, Chloe, and I attended your funeral.”

“No! That’s not possible! Darkseid hasn’t even been here yet.” Kara argued. “Something’s not right. Aunt Martha, what year is this?” Supergirl had not only felt lighter as she arrived on Earth, according to the mirror on the cabinet behind Martha, Kara looked to be about eighteen years old!

“2014, dear, why?” Martha replied in a more relaxed voice. Kara scowled. I’ve been sent back almost one hundred years, she silently mused. “Aunt Martha, where is Kal um Clark?” Kara asked worriedly.

Comment

REBOOTING SUPERGIRL:

Author’s note

I just heard the great news! DC Comics is considering a new Supergirl series! (Per Kryptonsite) I hope it comes true. It sounds like CBS might be interested.
      Growing up, I recall that Supergirl was supposed to be a good example for young girls and women to follow. “A hero must be incorruptible, a symbol, a person can be killed, an ideal can’t.” – Bruce Wayne.

I have some examples of stories about Kara / Supergirl that I’ve already written:

1) “The Last Daughter of Krypton” – a nod to a Supergirl back story that I remember watching in a cartoon series.
      2) “The Legend of Kara" This is a Kara story that follows up on Last Daughter of Krypton.
      3) “Gold Wing” – about a new young female superhero that I created to befriend and assist Kara.

I envision our Supergirl as kicking super butt on terrorists, like the most recent series season of “24”. She can confront Darkseid on her own, or with Superman’s help. She can work with Diana / Wonder Woman and the Amazons. How about having Supergirl guest star on “Arrow” or “The Flash?”

Supergirl was always to be pure of heart, as illustrated in the final season of Smallville. Maybe she should have a little sit down chat girl to girl with Miley Cyrus, Lindsay Lohan, Brittany Spears, and the like about becoming morally sound, and stop being a bad influence on young girls. Okay, stepping down off my soap box, as long as Kara doesn’t suddenly decide to ‘twerk’. Sorry. Couldn’t resist!!

How about portraying Kara as a ‘fish out of water’? No offense to Aquaman. Supergirl would decide to make Earth her permanent home, and do her best to fit in, adopting Superman’s duality lifestyle like Clark Kent and Kal El.

What about making Kara patriotic, despite the fact that everybody’s into the whole globalization thing? She could wear a red, white, and blue bikini, and pose in front of the American flag. We could certainly use a dose of national pride, and it would be easy on the eyes.

Kara could also be into angst, as a troubled young woman trying to fit in. I could see her being a techno geek like Chloe. Just brainstorming here…anyway, here’s my next installment of Girl of Steel:

Kara followed Jonathan Kent into the family farmhouse, and Martha was already setting the kitchen table for dinner. Kara really didn’t need to eat much, but out of politeness, she encouraged her adopted aunt and uncle. “Boy, am I starved!” She exaggerated, as she helped Martha distribute the fresh country farm dinner. After a few minutes of pleasant conversation, the meal was nearly complete. Kara was afraid that Jonathan and Martha would choke if she’d brought up her recent whereabouts.

Kara quickly cleared up the dinner table as Jonathan began to wash the dishes. It was now Martha’s turn to relax after another busy day. The former Kansas Senator Kent relished these reasonably normal days. They had become exceedingly rare in their hectic lives.

“So, Aunt Martha, Uncle Jonathan, I have to tell you what’s been going on with me.” The alien beauty began as gently as possible. She related the bizarre story of Kal’s plan to save the future by recreating the past. Predictably, Jonathan and Martha were shocked and slightly upset.

“We told Clark over and over not to attempt to change the past.” Jonathan argued. “He can’t just go ahead and play God with everyone’s lives.” Martha tried to be more objective. “Kara, are you sure that Clark succeeded?” Kara shrugged. “He certainly changed something, and possibly everything.” She admitted. “I hate to mention this, but Uncle Jonathan, you died many years ago.”

“Oh my God!” Martha exclaimed. “As you can see, I haven’t actually died either.” Kara continued. “In the original timeline, I never met you, and I rarely saw Aunt Martha. Try to understand our point of view. Darkseid unjustly destroyed Earth. He interfered with the fate of all humanity. Earth was to go on existing far into the future, fully populated.”

“We have friends that survived into the thirty first century, a full one thousand years from now.” Supergirl explained patiently. “They were descended from Earth’s humans. According to them, humans had branched out far into the galaxy, and eventually the rest of the universe.”

“Two wrongs don’t make a right.” Jonathan remarked angrily. “True, but Uncle Jonathan, literally billions of lives were ended due to Darkseid’s assault. No matter how you look at it, that’s wrong, and can’t be allowed. Clark and I must defeat Darkseid at all costs.”

Kara sighed before continuing. “Uncle Jonathan, Aunt Martha, Kal and I made an oath that we would protect Earth. If it means going back in time to ensure victory, that’s what we must do. If we still can’t defeat Darkseid, then we will go back into the past again and again until we do.”

“We don’t even know what’s real and what isn’t!” Jonathan pointed out tiredly. “It doesn’t matter.” Kara added. “The humans welcomed us into their world. Sure there were some detractors, but overall, Kal and I consider Earth our second home. We will not allow it to be destroyed as Krypton was.” Supergirl stated with conviction. Martha grinned proudly at her adopted niece.

“When you put it that way, honey, maybe you and Clark are absolutely right.” Martha caved. “Also, this is bigger than just Earth.” Kara pointed out. “The entire galaxy, if not the universe, depends on Darkseid’s defeat, and Earth’s survival.”

Jonathan had finally cooled off. “Okay, honey, than you do what you have to do. Just remember that from now on everything you and Clark do has consequences. Billions of lives will be forever changed.” Kara smiled, having made her point.

“Geez, no pressure there!” She quipped, bringing a sly grin to Jonathan’s face as well. “First, I have to find Clark.” Kara continued. “I assume that he’s up at the ice fortress, or the Daily Planet.”
      “When was the last time you saw him, again?” Kara questioned. Martha and Jonathan exchanged worried glances. “I saw Clark about a month ago.” Jonathan responded. “A month ago? That doesn’t sound like Kal.” She remarked warily. “No it doesn’t, honey.” Martha agreed.

“I’ll catch a bit of rest before I set out to find him.” Kara yawned as she spoke, realizing that the trip through Earth’s atmosphere and the subsequent unscheduled trip back through time had tired her. “Your room is just as you left it, Kara.” Martha began. “We didn’t have the heart to disturb it, and neither did Clark.” Kara nodded. “I appreciate that, Aunt Martha. I guess that’s what it means to have faith.” Kara is asleep, and we are sent back to the battle with Darkseid through her dreams.

Flashback sequence: A boom tube opens in the sky right above downtown Metropolis. Dozens of Darkseid’s minions soar down into the city streets, on motorcycle sized air speeders firing randomly at the denizens of Metropolis. Many people are killed, scores lie wounded and bleeding.

They are using some type of high tech laser weapons. The Metropolis Police Department is caught off guard, and is quickly overwhelmed. Fortunately, Darkseid’s minions are easily brought down by common Earth weapons like M-16 assault rifles, and shoulder held rocket launchers. This is only the first wave of fighters, the lowest pawns in Darkseid’s Army of Darkness.

We see Clark in a full Superman outfit, the cape trailing behind him. He flies easily towards the Darkseid minions, knocking them off their air speeders, and hurling them through buildings, and the store windows that line Metropolis’s downtown business district.

Four vehicles suddenly join in the melee, a black sleek sports car, a black small fighter jet, and two black motorcycles all converge on the battle. The motorcyclists weave in between the stalled traffic, and damaged vehicles, most of which belonged to the MPD.

By now, the Kansas National Guard Troops have joined the fight. Some drive armored Humvees, and small assault tanks. A few armored jet fighters blast in from the west and pummel the Darkseid minions with large caliber mounted weapons similar to the old time Gatling Guns.

Superman soars upward towards the boom tube, his fists extended before him. In Kara’s dream she’s merely watching the conflict. Why isn’t she participating? Gold Wing grabs two winged air speeders and smashes them together. They explode on contact, killing the minions, and knocking Laura Lake out. She lies in the middle of the street. She’ll be fine, but for now, she’s out of the fight.

Lois Lane is trapped on the roof of the Daily Planet, beneath its singed golden globe. Why am I not helping her? Kara’s unconscious mind wonders. She awakens and bolts upright. “I don’t remember any of that happening.” Kara comments aloud, simply to reassure herself that she’s now awake.

“Something’s not right.” She mutters, and gets up to speed downstairs and grab a glass of water. I know I would’ve fought Darkseid himself to defend Earth, not just his minions. She muses silently. “What’s the matter, honey, can’t sleep?” Martha had jogged downstairs to get some water as well. “Oh. I’m sorry I woke you up, Aunt Martha.” Kara apologized. “That’s okay dear, we’re about to get up anyway.”

Martha spoke as the first rays of sunlight began to peek over the vast horizon. “I guess that I’m still worried about Clark. The sooner I find him, the better I’ll feel, and he’d probably be back to his old self in no time.” Kara said as she tried to remain positive. “Aunt Martha.” Supergirl gulped. “How exactly did I allegedly die?” Martha Kent was about to answer, when Jonathan bounded downstairs ready to go.

“Clark never told us, honey.” Jonathan answered for her. “He simply said that he couldn’t save you.” Kara scowled. “That just doesn’t make any sense. I’m virtually as indestructible as he is. Even if Kal couldn’t get to me for some reason, Laura Lake would have, unless Kryptonite was involved.”

“Only he knows for sure.” Martha added in a depressing tone. After a quick breakfast, Kara sped through her farm chores. It was her way of paying the Kents for room and board. The morning responsibilities had been completed, and the family took some time to relax.

Kara set out for the Daily Planet, assuming that Clark would have to be there to keep up his alternative identity. She flew in over Metropolis Bay and on towards the busy downtown district. Only a few people even noticed the young alien’s flight. Most people were wrapped up in texting, or talking on their smart phones. Kara reminded herself that it had likely been nearly four years since her last appearance.
      Though the Metropolis skyline looked decidedly different, the LuthorCorp Tower still stood across from the Daily Planet building with its golden globe spinning silently like nothing unusual had ever happened. They would still have to deal with Lex at some point, but Kara focused on the Daily Planet.

Kara landed gracefully on the ledge of one of the seventh floor newsroom windows. She tiptoed along the ledges, skirting one of the famous gargoyles, finally locating an open window. She deftly climbed inside, and as luck would have it, her old friend Jimmy Olsen was just walking by.

“Jimmy!” Kara yelled to get his attention. “It’s good to see you again!” She beamed as she sidestepped the copy machine and slipped next to the frightened young photojournalist. “Holy crap!” Jimmy shouted. Kara scowled playfully at him. She had chosen to wear her first Supergirl outfit, consisting of the bright white t-shirt with the S like red House of El logo on her chest, and a blue denim miniskirt.

“I would have appreciated a ‘hey Kara nice to see you’ or ‘hey Kara welcome back!’” She needled one of her earliest friends. Kara’s red shortened cape swirled behind her as she confronted Jimmy. He tossed his camera onto a nearby desk chair, and stepped back. “What’s up with that?” Kara teased. “How about a hug?” Supergirl flirted. She tried to ease Jimmy’s angst.

“Oh? Yeah sure!” Jimmy nervously fidgeted, but stood his ground, as Kara carefully hugged him. By now the entire newsroom was abuzz with the appearance of the supposedly dead Supergirl. After the hug, Kara questioned Jimmy. “Is Lois here? How about Clark?” He shrugged. “I haven’t seen Clark in a while, but Lois has a corner office, right next to Perry White’s.” Jimmy gawked at her
      “Don’t look so surprised, Jimmy.” Kara smiled brightly as she spoke. “This is Metropolis, and by extension, Smallville. People come back from the dead all the time.”

Comment

Girl of Steel – Ch. 2

Kara walked through the newsroom floor and over to Lois Lane’s office. Cat Grant dropped her coffee mug as Supergirl passed her by. Lois was busily watching the latest stories on the Daily Planet Internet scroll across her computer screen. Kara opened the office door and slipped in.

“Hey Lois!” Supergirl announced as he ace reporter glanced up at her. Lois spit out her coffee. “Oh my gawd!” She nearly shrieked. “Now Lois, don’t freak out!” Kara warned, as she tried to keep her calm and focused. “Don’t freak out, she says!” Lois parroted. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but why aren’t you dead?” She added as Supergirl slowly approached the desk.

Kara sat down across from her. “Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated.” She quipped, trying to lighten the mood. “No! No way!” Lois’s voice rose. “Clark and I were at your funeral. It’s been four years! Did you reawaken after a coma? I know that Kryptonians are strong, but immortal?”

Supergirl placed her hands on the edge of Lois’s desk. “I have lived for one hundred and fifty years here on Earth!” Kara dropped the bombshell. “As for being immortal, I highly doubt that.” She related the story of Darkseid’s Dark Fleet invasion and her alleged death, adding the fact that Earth had been nearly destroyed, and its people enslaved or killed. She informed Lois that Clark had nearly died as well.
        “Wow! You look good for your age!” Lois joked, as her nerves started to settle. “This happens just when I think that things can’t get any weirder.” Kara nodded. “Tell me about it.” Lois shook her head. “Unbelievable! You two created this crazy plan all by yourselves?” The frustrated reporter asked. “Pretty much!” Kara confirmed. “At the time we had some help. Apparently everyone underestimated Earth’s importance to the universe.” Lois nervously tapped her pen on the edge of her desk.

“Did you tell Clark that you’ve come back from the dead?” Lois grilled the alien beauty. “Actually, I haven’t seen him yet.” Kara admitted. “You mean I finally scooped him?” Lois quipped. “My uncle and aunt haven’t seen Kal in over a month.” Kara commented. “Have you seen him recently, Lois?”

Supergirl put her on the spot. “Oh sure! I just saw him yesterday.” Lois lied. Kara sensed that something was off. Lois suddenly refused to make eye contact, her heart raced, and her eyes fluttered. Those were all ‘tells’ that Kara had learned to watch for to determine when a human was lying.

“Maybe it was the day before?” Lois backpedalled. “To be honest, the last several days have been sort of a blur, if you’ll pardon the pun. The whole world seems to be going to hell.” She spoke more rapidly. “Lois!” Kara said as her eyes narrowed. “Where is Clark?” Supergirl pressed. “Oh, you know him, he gets in these moods.” Lois said as her heartbeat nearly doubled. “He’s probably off brooding about one thing or another. The man has that whole ice cave to himself.” Kara rolled her eyes. “Lois! Out with it!” she threatened. The frazzled reporter sighed.

“What are you, a living lie detector?” Lois grumbled. “I have no idea where Clark is.” Her heartbeat slowed back down to normal. “Did you two have a fight?” Kara prodded.
        “No, not a fight per se.” Lois hedged. “More like a heated discussion.” Kara sighed. “He went away to sulk?” She asked hopefully. “Yeah, I guess so.” Lois finally admitted. “He loves you, Lois.” Kara softened her tone. “When was the last time, you know, when he was with you?” She pried delicately.

“Oh. Uh about a week ago, I suppose.” Lois reddened. “There’s nothing wrong with Clark physically. I can vouch for that!” She smirked lustily. “Okay. Too much information.” Kara grumbled. “What was the fight, I mean discussion, about?” Lois shrugged. “I don’t even remember. He was just moody, giving me attitude.” Lois recalled that night as best that she could.
        “That doesn’t sound like Clark.” Kara scowled, she didn’t like where this was going. By now, the rest of the newspaper workers had been casually strolling past Lois’s office. Only Jimmy and Cat Grant stood near the windowed doorway and stared in at them.

“We’re attracting too much attention here.” Kara observed. “I should’ve stopped by in my Linda Lee Danvers disguise.” Lois put her head in her hands. “Ever since that damned Apokalips planet appeared and ruined our wedding, it seems that Clark and I have had problems.” She whined.

“Lois, don’t worry!” Kara said cheerfully. “We just have to find out what’s bugging my cousin. Are you ready for a quick vacation? You’d better get your winter parka.” Lois sniffed a tear away. “Do you mean that we’re going to invade Clark’s ice cube man cave?” She grinned thinly. “Exactly.” Kara confirmed.

Shortly thereafter, Lois had left Perry an E mail saying that she felt ill, and would be working from home the rest of the day. Kara followed Lois out of the office, as the employees scattered. They waved to Jimmy and Cat, and took the elevator down to the first floor lobby.

The girls walked right out the front doors, and only about half of the passersby recognized the blonde superhero. A handful of people on the sidewalk actually cheered as Kara and Lois edged towards the street corner. Kara waved appreciatively at those denizens of Metropolis that noted them.

Supergirl made a big show of Lois climbing onto her back, and then they flew off towards Smallville. Kara had purposely been keeping her flight speed to a minimum, and they landed just outside the all too familiar Kent barn. Lois grabbed her parka from storage and they resumed their flight. Barely a number of minutes had passed before Kara spotted the ice fortress outcropping.

They landed at its heavily concealed entrance. Kara touched a green translucent crystal that protruded from the outcropping’s edge. Lois shivered slightly, as they warily entered the fortress, descending down a flight of hastily cut stairs. Supergirl noted their dozen or so cubes disguised as ice formations. “Lois, these cubes are actually Kryptonian data storage units. Each library cube contained a different volume of information. The subjects varied accordingly.” Kara explained.

Kara pulled on a specific icy stalagmite, and a box with multicolored crystals within it appeared. She examined them and confirmed that every crystal was accounted for. Supergirl pulled a red pentagonal crystal about five inches long out of the assortment. “This should do it.” She announced as Lois looked on curiously. “It should do what, exactly?” The eager reporter wondered aloud.

“This specific crystal accesses a historical Kryptonian data set.” Kara said as they once again ascended the icy crescent shaped staircase. Suddenly a pair of bright red eyes appeared out of a dark corner within the ice fortress. “Get out!” A gruff male voice yelled. Before Kara could react, the man had pinned Supergirl against a fortress wall, the impact shaking the delicate fortress substantially.

“Clark! What the hell are you doing?” Lois snapped as Superman grasped Kara by the throat and lifted her high off the ice fortress floor. “Let go of her, you big lug!” She ordered, simultaneously smacking Clark as hard as she could across the back, and kicking him as much as she dared in the shin without breaking her leg. Kara regained her senses, and kneed Clark in the stomach.

He arched his back in pain, as Kara delivered a huge uppercut to Clark’s jaw, sending him sailing across the width of the fortress, where he crushed a series of ice outcroppings, landing clumsily at the base of the stairwell. “Stop it! Both of you!” Lois shouted. Kara instantly struck an attack pose, in case Clark wouldn’t listen. She continued to crouch at the ready. “That’s your cousin!” Lois yelled.

“Kara is dead!” Superman growled as he flew back towards them. “This is just another of Darkseid’s tricks!” Supergirl executed a picture perfect shoulder roll, as she evaded Clark’s angry charge. Superman would have to fly in a circular formation to get back into the fray. Lois jumped out in front of him. Clark barely stopped his flight inches from Lois's blocking stance.

“Pay attention you big lug!” She directed. Kara warily got back up on her feet. Thankfully, the reddish crystal remained undamaged. “Obviously, Kara is not dead.” Lois stated in a much calmer tone. “Think about it, Smallville! How many people have already come back from the dead?”

“But how?” Clark shuddered as he forced himself to power down, landing softly on the ice fortress floor. “I saw Darkseid kill you!” Superman insisted as he glanced at a very angry young Kara. “I don’t know what you saw Kal, but no body, no death, got it?” Kara hissed. Lois let go a breath she’d been holding.

“Maybe you’d better explain just what we saw.” Lois stated as Kara edged towards them. “Okay, I recall it clearly…” Clark began. “Darkseid’s force had just popped out of a boom tube at the farm.”
        Flashback sequence: A tall stocky ugly black and purple alien stood defiantly before them. Clark was wearing his black t-shirt. Kara was wearing her current getup, a white t-shirt and a blue denim skirt. Several smaller ugly blue and green creatures hovered beside the boom tube as it contracted.

Darkseid shot twin beams of concentrated yellowish orange energy from his eyes. Both impacted Kara before she reacted, and the alien beauty flew several hundred yards in the opposite direction, landing in a muddy bog near the edge of the Kent property. Supergirl was knocked out cold.

Superman charged Darkseid as a dozen of the evil alien’s minions buzzed him on flying platforms similar to a surfboard. Clark swatted the minions away like annoying flies. He balled his fists and hit Darkseid square in his paunchy alien stomach. The evil dictator flew in an arc across the west wheat field and impacted near a gravel access road, causing a huge crater to appear. Clark turned to check on Kara, but Darkseid’s remaining minions distracted him. It took a few minutes for Superman to blast through them.

Meanwhile, Darkseid had quickly recovered, and somehow flew back towards Clark. Before Superman could reach her, Darkseid grabbed the still unconscious Kara, and snapped the alien beauty’s back across his knee. A sickening crack was heard. Darkseid had appeared to kill the lovely young Supergirl.

He tossed the girl’s limp body to the side. Superman screamed “No!” Just that quickly, another boom tube appeared and Darkseid and his minions disappeared within it. Clark fell to his knees. “No!” He shouted in anguish. Superman rushed to Kara’s side. Blood poured from his cousin’s ears, mouth, and nose. She wasn’t breathing. Kara’s bright blue eyes rolled back into her head. Supergirl was gone.

Lois cried as she listened to Clark’s retelling of the nightmare. “That’s not what happened.” Kara stated in confusion. “I don’t remember that ever happening. In fact, I don’t remember Darkseid making it to Earth at all.” She insisted. Kara then informed Superman about their bizarre plan to go back in time with the Eye of Rao, and change all of human history, ensuring that Darkseid would be defeated.

“So another me has already gone back in time and changed everything?” Clark sounded skeptical. “It makes perfect sense, Smallville.” Lois interjected. “I know you. If there was even a remote chance of this cockamamie plan working, you’d take it.” She added. “So would I.” She affirmed. Clark made his way over to his young cousin. He hugged her. “I’m sorry!” Superman apologized. “I’m sorry that you all had to go through that. I promise not to die anytime soon.” Kara smirked as she spoke. “Now why were you being such a jerk?” Supergirl asked playfully.

“I guess that I blamed myself for your death.” Superman confessed. “You took it out on everyone else, including Lois?” Kara finished for him. “I thought that I should’ve done more to save you.” Clark added. “That attack makes no sense.” Lois scowled. “Why would Darkseid just cut and run like that? Why come all the way here to Earth and allegedly knock off Kara and just leave?”
        “It could have been some sort of a transportability test, and taking out Kara was just a bonus.” Superman reasoned. “Thanks a lot, Kal.” Supergirl feigned offense. “That makes sense. Sorry Kara.” Lois agreed. “In any event, Darkseid will be coming here to Earth at some point, and we’d better be ready for him, and his minions.” Lois summed it all up.

Comment

The Red Crystal

Scene: Inside Clark and Kara’s ice fortress of solitude. As we pan through the massive multidimensional Kryptonian ice cave, Seether’s ‘Rise Above This’ plays in the background.
          Icicles line all of the hexagonal fortress’s walls. Stalagmites and stalactites poke through the ceiling and the floor of the cave.

Clark, Kara, and Lois are seated at a makeshift table at the structure’s center. Kara pulls the red triangular crystal from her denim miniskirt pocket. “Kal, this specific crystal records events that is aware of as well as plays them back.” Kara explained. “Think of it as a smaller version of BRAINIAC.”

Clark scowled. “I’d rather not.” He folded his arms in disgust. Kara gave Lois the crystal to hold. The young reporter reluctantly held it away from her face. “See? It’s harmless and useless to humans.” Kara demonstrated. Lois examined the crystal carefully. It was cold to the touch, she observed. It dimly glowed reddish pink but did nothing else.

“Now give it back to me.” Kara instructed. Instantly, the red crystal glowed brightly as it contacted Kara’s Kryptonian DNA. She held it away from her body and spun it several times. “Show me Metropolis, Kansas, United States of America at 1600 hours local time.” Supergirl spoke clearly as she commanded the ancient device. A complete three dimensional image of Metropolis appeared in the air before them.

“Whoa!” Lois remarked as the image lengthened and grew larger. “It’s like a three dimensional hologram.” She commented as Kara nodded. “Yes Lois, that’s about the closest approximation of a description that we can all understand.” Supergirl added. “Magnify!” She directed.

The image was about a meter in height and at least as much in width. It included a three hundred sixty degree view of Metropolis, complete with moving vehicles, walking and jogging pedestrians, well lit streets, and illuminated storefronts.

Kara grasped the air, pretending to hold the edge of the hologram, and pulled her arms further apart. The image immediately doubled in size, hovering about two meters above the fortress floor. Kara moved her arms from top to bottom, flipping the image. It reversed its view accordingly.

Lois was impressed that the image could be so easily manipulated. Clark looked it over with interest. “Kara, this crystal was here all along?” He questioned. “It was.” She confirmed. “I brought many information cubes, crystals, and storage documents with me from Krypton. Luckily I salvaged the data before my spaceship travel pod was destroyed.”
          Lois continued to shiver despite being dressed for the Artic polar weather. “Maybe we should continue this back at the farm.” Kara offered. “Lois is about to freeze to death!” Clark nodded and began to walk towards the exit, before stopping. “Wait, let me try something.” Superman hesitated.

Clark slid his hand over a camouflaged ice block panel. It opened, and a pulsating circular object floated into view. “This is the temperature control that the ice fortress came with.” He explained.
          “Obviously, the cold doesn’t affect Kara and I much, but now we can adjust the climate for visitors.” Clark said as he grabbed the floating red ball, spinning it slightly. The fortress temperature immediately began to rise. Lois stopped shivering, and was actually able to relax and recline on the icy chair.

Kara backed away from the table, and the image array followed her movements robotically. She again waved her hands and the projected image flipped itself right side up. “Can we integrate this level of technology into the Watchtower Database back in Metropolis?” Clark inquired.

“We can certainly try, Kal, but our technology is still light years ahead of Earth’s.” She replied. “Do you miss Krypton, Kara?” Lois asked out of the blue. “As I understand it, Clark was a baby when he left your home world.” She added, sounding more like a reporter, than Clark’s fiancée. “You were technically older than him, right?” Clark flashed a curious glance at her.

“That’s correct, Lois. Where you are in the universe is relative to what time it is. Krypton exploded generations ago, based on Earth’s time scale. We could get into quantum physics, but, not to be rude, you wouldn’t understand a word I was saying.” Kara said apologetically.

“By the time I reached an Earth child’s middle school age, I was a degreed Art and Science major with a minor in Quantum Physics, at least that’s the closest approximation I can make with Earth children.” Kara grabbed a couple of handfuls of icy snow from the edge of the fortress wall. “Here, watch this.” The Metropolis array continued to follow Kara across the room, amazing Clark.

Kara used her super speed to create a complicated ice sculpture, and stood it up on a fortress bulkhead. The ice sculpture was a face and shoulders of a man with large eyes, a full length beard, and high, thick cheekbones. “Is that your dad?” Lois asked bluntly. “It’s very beautiful and lifelike.”

“Thank you, Lois, but this is an image of who we as children, used to call Father Rao.” Kara began as Clark became quickly fascinated with the sculpture and his young cousin’s level of artistic talent. “Father Rao is actually more of a religious figure. All of the other kids knew the legend, despite the fact that the children’s parents thought of him as a silly icon for uneducated and unsophisticated people.”

“Zod and the Kandorians seemed to be religious, in a sick and twisted way.” Clark recalled angrily. “I often saw them in ceremonial outfits, and bearing religious symbols like we use, crosses, specific letters and such.” Kara flipped the Metropolis array off and spun her caricature around 360 degrees.

“The legend of Father Rao told of a kind and generous old man that turned his back on advancing technology for a more relaxed, unsophisticated, and simplistic life.” Kara lectured. “Children believed that Father Rao would bring them some gifts and good fortune.” She recalled.

“That sounds like our Santa Claus!” Lois chuckled. “Maybe every culture has a type of Santa Claus.” Clark contributed. “Naturally the enlightened Kryptonians thought that Father Rao was a radical, or someone the children had made up.” Kara informed them.

Clark sat next to Lois, and immediately she cuddled in close to him. Superman put his arm around her slim shoulders. He realized that Kara was right. He had been kind of a jerk lately, especially to Lois and Oliver and Chloe. Clark decided that he would have to make it up to them somehow.

“What do you believe, Kara?” Lois asked point blank. “I don’t know what to believe, Lois. Some people called Father Rao ‘The All Father.’ I do know that unexplained phenomena are usually attributed to some type of deity within uneducated cultures.”

Clark listened to his cousin attempt to be philosophical. “You know Kara, my Earth mom and dad seemed to believe that every myth or legend usually begins with a grain of truth in it.” He explained as Lois rested serenely in his arms. “Look at all that we’ve discovered recently.” Lois put in, feeling left out of the conversation. “You and Clark were once considered to be mythological. No alien life forms existed in our galaxy, they used to say. That is until you proved your existence.”

“Add to all that, the Amazon Empire, or AC’s Atlantean Friends, or even Atlantis in general.” Lois continued. Kara nodded, and swiftly changed the subject. “Anyway, the reason I came back to the ice fortress, was to retrieve the second Eye of Rao.” Kara explained. “It’s here?” Clark gasped.

“I hadn’t thought about it for years.” Supergirl began. “It had been hidden within my memory cubes that Aunt Lara and Uncle Jor El placed in my transport. It should be right about here.” Kara reached behind an icy bulkhead, pressing four areas in a roughly circular pattern.

A panel slid down, revealing a large purple cube about the size of a common teenager’s backpack. Kara spun the cube around in her hands, turning it upside down. It immediately registered her Kryptonian DNA, suddenly floating up, defying gravity, and continued to spin on its own.

Clark and Lois watched in fascination as the cube floated before them, occasionally zipping back and forth in a specific pattern. The cube’s corners began to fold inward. “It has one more security feature on it.” Kara smirked as she spoke. The young Supergirl began to sing in a high voice, only using musical phrases known in the Kryptonian language. Lois was startled as Clark winced.

“Basically, this is voice recognition software.” Kara chuckled as she finished her song. Lois thought that Kara’s singing wasn’t bad. To her it seemed like a cross between dolphins’ twittering, and a variety of birds chirping. Yet, Kara’s ditty was most definitely alien.

The cube’s walls retracted and flattened, revealing two more colorful crystals, and the silver and gold hued second Eye of Rao. Kara reached into the still hovering array and removed the gaudy piece of ornamentation. The disc appeared to be about four or five inches in diameter.

Supergirl secured the Eye of Rao to the left side of her chest just beyond her ‘S’ shield logo. The disc attached itself to her shirt with small retractable claws. Clark and Lois stared in disbelief at the powerful Kryptonian artifact. “There. It looks perfectly harmless.” Kara observed.

Then, she put equal pressure on the sides of the gemstones with her fingers, and the Eye of Rao detached itself from her shirt, dropping into Clark’s outstretched hand.
          Clark began to examine the facets of the Eye of Rao with his x-ray vision. The piece held a large translucent pyramid shaped gem at its center. Surrounding it were seven more multicolored gems.

“So, Kara, you’re saying that his Kryptonian artifact allows us to travel back and forth through time?” Clark asked his cousin incredulously. Lois examined it closely, as Clark held it up against the alien photocell lights adorning the ice fortress ceiling.

“Well, honey, it’s a bit gaudy for your t-shirt, or flannel shirt, but it would go great with my black evening dress.” Lois teased him, causing Kara to crack up. “This brooch really isn’t my style.” Clark jabbed. “I was just watching one of those old TV movies, and the hero, Sherlock Holmes, said that the best place to hide something is within plain sight.” Kara explained.

“Yeah, well just don’t lose it, even though it’s useless to humans.” Clark warned. “How does it work?” He inquired. “As I understand the instructions, both Eyes of Rao must be present to guarantee the artifact’s stability.” Kara continued. “It could create a rift in time, or a black hole if used improperly. I believe that’s why ultimately, its use was banned by the Kryptonian Council.”

“The problem stems from the fact that we don’t know where in time the other Superman, Kara, or Lois are.” The alien beauty added. “Without all of the Eye of Rao knowledge available to him, the other Kal El may be causing irreparable damage to the space time continuum.”

“That’s not very helpful, then.” Lois contributed. “My Clark could be literally anywhere.” Kara fidgeted as she considered the problem. “How can we get the time traveling Clark and Kara together?” Supergirl voiced her concerns. “I’m sure that I can control my time traveling activities, but how do we get a message to the other Kal El?” Both Clark and Lois stared at her blankly.

Lois snapped her fingers. “Leave him a note!” She suddenly piped up. “Leave him a note?” Kara echoed. “Sure. That makes perfect sense.” Clark agreed. Kara rubbed her thin chin. “Where would Kal be most likely to see this note?” She inquired. “On me.” Lois said as she snickered and Clark reddened.

“How is that helpful, again?” Clark mildly protested. “I need to have a note put on me somewhere, so that Clark and I could both see it, but no one else could.” Lois grinned lustily. “Uh, do I want to know where you’ll place this note?” Kara questioned warily. “Relax, Kara, I was just teasing.” Lois joked. “The idea is still sound, though. It would be like a time capsule, literally.”

“Think about it Kal, where would you and Lois be most likely to see it?” Kara questioned. “Forget the internet, everyone has access to that. A post it note on Lois’s desk would be too easily seen. What is unique to you two?” Lois and Clark glanced at their hands. “Our engagement rings.” Lois answered.

“That’s a nice idea, but they’re too small to get a lot of information imprinted on.” Clark pointed out. “Maybe the fortress has an idea.” Kara reasoned. “I’ve got it, Kal!” She exclaimed. “I can reverse engineer the red crystal to emit a sonic pulse soundwave that only you and I can hear.” Clark quickly agreed. “It would be like a dog whistle!” Lois remarked. “Exactly.” Clark conceded.

Comment

Girl of Steel: A Bridge Too Far

Kara has devised a way to contact time traveling Kal El.

Scene: The Ice Fortress

Kara held the red crystal below the surface of the crystal holding control panel. In her native Kryptonian language, Kara instructs the panel to analyze the red crystal.
            “Analyses complete.” The baritone voice of Jor El that inhabits the crystal information system said with finality as it translated the discussion to Earth English. “The red crystal can be used as a two way communication device with a seventy-nine percent efficiency. The crystal can only be used in this manner once. The crystal will sustain permanent damage.”

Kara sighed deeply. “Don’t worry Kara, we’ll find another way.” Lois said with a defeated tone. “How about if we make a copy of the red crystal’s information database?” Clark suggested. “The control panel operates in roughly the same manner as an information portal, doesn’t it?” He added hopefully.

“I don’t see why not, Kal.” Kara’s face brightened immediately. “How long will a duplicative process take?” Kara asked the Jor El inspired device. “The entirety of the crystal can be duplicated within seventeen minutes in Earth time.” The machine responded. “That will have to do, Kara.” Clark stated with resignation. “Do it!” Kara ordered the device as she placed the valuable crystal in a holder.

Immediately the red crystal pulsed, alternating in color from red to purple to blue. A clear crystal instantly appeared beside the red one. Kara once again turned her focus to the undamaged Eye of Rao amulet. “The next puzzle we have to solve is how to use this Eye of Rao to contact the other one, wherever it may be in time.” She pointed out.

“I’m on it, Sherlock!” Clark teased his cousin. “The colors, though pretty, have to have some significance and order to them. The large pyramid shaped gem in the center, logically, would likely be the control piece. It makes sense that it would have some form of directions for operation.”

“Don’t overthink it, you two.” Lois chimed in. “As one of my favorite musical album’s title indicates, ‘Just Push Play’.” Lois quickly pushed in the center gem. “Lois! We don’t know what it will do!” Clark warned excitedly. Kara stepped back quickly from the Eye of Rao.

The gem lit up, and began randomly flashing the various color designations. Red, blue, green, yellow, pink, purple, and white flashes brightened and dulled. The center gem acted like a prism, amplifying and projecting the light patterns on the very reflective ice fortress walls.

Kara followed the color dispersal patterns, and memorized each flash in order. Nothing else seemed to be happening, Lois observed. She enjoyed the light show, yet it seemed pointless to her. Kara tracked the pattern for a few moments. “Kal! It’s repeating the flash patterns in the same order!” She announced briefly. “I thought that it might.” Clark confirmed.
            “I thought that you said a human couldn’t use the Eye of Rao.” Clark eyed them suspiciously.

“No, what I said Kal, was that only Kryptonian DNA could activate the Eye. “So how was Lois able to activate it?” Clark pressed. Lois gulped. “Um. Think about it, Smallville, how would I come into contact with Kryptonian DNA?” She glared at him. “You are truly clueless.” Clark reddened. “Oh.” He glanced away sheepishly as Kara laughed heartily.

Clark continued to monitor the same flash patterns as Kara did. “Is it like ‘Simon’?” Lois asked as the Kryptonians gazed at her in confusion. “’Simon’ was a child’s game created sometime in the 1980’s.” She explained. “It trained kids in color and sound recognition.”

“A child’s game?” Kara echoed. “That actually makes sense. Father Rao loved children above all else, including technology. He may have intended the Eyes’ light patterns as a game.” Clark verified the patterns one more time. “Why would he make a game of time travel?” He wondered aloud, clearly not expecting an answer. Lois continued to enjoy the light dispersal, yet something nagged at her.

“It’s Hide and Seek!” Lois jumped in. “Hide and Seek?” Kara parroted. “Sure. It may be that your Father Rao was a bit of a mischief maker.” Lois added. “If he designed the twin Eyes of Rao as a game, the purpose could have been to have the children push in a shard on an amulet and then that child could have used the pressed shard to relocate somewhere else on planet. The point would be for Father Rao and the kids to play against each other, and as one child would hide the others would seek.”

“Lois! What if Father Rao used the amulets’ power to train his followers, presumably the children that Rao knew, to evade capture?” Clark surmised. “Could Rao have known that Krypton would one day explode, and the entire race would be annihilated?”
            “That’s quite a leap of faith there, Smallville.” Lois taunted him. “That’s an almost human reaction. Maybe I have been a bad influence on you.” Kara mulled all of this over, and she found that the premise was sound. “If you and Lois are right then why make the Eyes of Rao into religious artifacts? Why develop the mythology?” She queried.

“It’s because it actually worked.” Clark answered her query. “If the Eyes of Rao have such immense power individually, what if the power of both eyes were combined and in perfect working condition? What level of power could they possess together?” Kara began to pace back and forth across the ice fortress control center. “Both Eyes of Rao could, in theory, hide a large number of beings, maybe even an entire city. Yet you would have to be able to control the time travel completely for it to be effective.”

“If Jor El and Zor El knew of the Eyes of Rao power, why didn’t they use it to save some of Krypton?” Clark asked as the colors continued to follow the activated pattern. “Maybe they did.” Kara snapped. “Jor El, what was the fate of Argo City?” She addressed the information base.

“Argo City was partially destroyed during the explosion of Krypton. The orbiting mining colony was far away from Krypton’s star, Krypto. It was also partially hidden by the debris field that encircled the localized solar system. Unfortunately the planetoid could no longer support life. Its orbit began to decay and we assume that it eventually became swallowed up by the Krypto supernova.” Jor El’s image responded. “Has that been one hundred percent verified?” Kara pressed.

“Searching…no.” The array answered. “I have only ascertained an eighty seven percent certainty.” Kara nodded. “There is a thirteen percent chance that Argo City or at least its denizens could have survived.” She concluded. “That is correct.” The array answered.

“Kal, what if the Eyes of Rao were activated together by a follower of Father Rao, and at least some of our people survived by getting lost within time itself?” She let her question hang in the frozen air of the ice fortress. “It’s a longshot to be sure, but anything is possible.” Clark admitted.

“The question is: How can we find the people of Argo City if they’re scattered throughout time?” Lois pointed out. Jor El’s image and voice interrupted their thoughts. “The new crystal has been created. All information from the red crystal has been stored within it.” The array confirmed.

“Let’s start with finding the other Kara, Lois, and Kal El.” Clark instructed. Kara retrieved the original red crystal and placed it into another device. It slipped down into the snow covered machine. Kara recited some Kryptonian words and sang the bizarre musical notes loud enough for all to hear.

“I have access to the red crystal’s inner workings. It’s complicated, but you two can think of it as reformatting a recordable disc of information. I’ll instruct the other Kal to cease skipping through time loops, because he’s likely creating more problems than he’s aware of.” She patiently explained.

Kara went into a lengthy explanation of everything that they knew about the twin Eyes of Rao and recorded it onto the crystal. “Now all we have to do is get the other Kal to see it, or more appropriately, hear it. The new red crystal will emit a sound frequency that only a Kryptonian could hear.”

“We can store it in the barn loft on the farm once we target a place in time. In fact, why not simply place it in the pocket of my Smallville Crow’s football letterman’s jacket?” Clark suggested. “I hadn’t really moved the jacket in years. It’s still in my drawer next to my loft couch.” Lois snickered. “That’s the first time that I’m thankful for the ever unchanging Clark Kent.” She teased, causing Kara to laugh.

Time Shards Part 6: Teaser Earth 19

Clark Kent stares out the window of the Kent Family barn loft in Smallville. The cronoton particles of time travel surround him, blanketing him in a shower of translucent light. He feels dizzy, but remains standing. The Eye of Rao is in his hand but its glow is fading. He’d had the amulet attached to a necklace chain made from NTH metal. The chain dangles limply as the Eye is rapidly losing its power.
            The Eye had become unstable and Clark had been bouncing between the varied timelines randomly. Suddenly he hears a high pitched wail that makes him wince. He falls to one knee under the sonic assault. Clark has become weakened by the increasingly frequent trips through time. Behind him his high school letterman’s jacket pocket is lighting up. He glances at it by chance.

The incessant wailing becomes more intense amplified by the red crystal. Clark crawls over to the jacket that had been hung on his makeshift clothes rack since high school. He reaches into the pocket and retrieves the reddish gold glowing crystal. He falls to the floor and rolls onto his back. The wail begins to subside as his trembling hands grasp the crystal. The sonic assault blissfully ends.
            A familiar female voice booms into the area. “Kal! Kal! Can you hear me?” His cousin Kara’s somewhat frantic voice echoes through his mind. “If you can hear me, follow my instructions exactly.” She ordered. “You must cease your time traveling immediately! The Eye of Rao that you have is inherently unstable. I have the other Eye of Rao in my hand. I’m not within your time loop. Both Eyes must be placed together to work properly. Only then can we master time travel safely. You are creating too many alternate realities! You are punching random holes within time itself.”

Clark groans and forces himself to sit up. “Now she tells me!” He complains sourly. “Kal, you must leave Earth’s atmosphere and fly out into space. Deactivate the Eye by pressing the center pyramidal gem twice. Then take the Eye with you. The new realities that you created will temporarily stop. In space, you will near Earth’s moon. Use your X-ray vision to spot a cloaked starship in orbit around Earth’s satellite.”
            “This ship is called The Dragon’s Beckon. On board you must access the starship’s drive directly.” Kara’s directive continued. “The ship’s advanced technology partially uses cronoton particles to increase its warp drive capability. You will use an array to focus the Eye’s power. The ship’s captain, Ryla Stardragon, is already aware of our situation. She is also here to attack and defeat Darkseid.”

“Make contact with her as soon as you can. She will order her Chief Engineer to use the warp coil to control the Eye of Rao’s cronoton output. It won’t hurt her ship’s operation or harm her people in any way. We will attempt to lock on to your time shard and triangulate the two Eyes of Rao power stream. It should in theory, bring you into our specific point in time.” Kara continued.
            “I suggest that we use their array to create a new time shard that gathers the greatest amount of our allies to confront Darkseid and his minions. Captain Stardragon intends to trap and attack Darkseid’s Dark Fleet between them and us here on Earth. We should all be assembled for battle just prior to Darkseid’s preliminary boom tube arrival. There is one downside though.” She hinted.

“Kal, we will only get one shot at this. Most likely, the powers of both Eyes of Rao will be depleted after we finalize the gathering. We must defeat Darkseid at all costs. Billions of Earth denizens lives are at risk as well as the future of our universe. That’s not an exaggeration. Good luck, Kal.”Clark struggled to his feet and sat on his old couch. “She makes it sound so easy.” Superman grumbled as he shut down the Eye of Rao as instructed and hung the dimming Eye of Rao amulet around his thick neck.

“Kal.” Kara’s voice continued. “Repeat this phrase into the edge of the crystal.” Kara stated something in their native Kryptonian language. Clark repeated the phrase carefully. Luckily he got the pronunciation correct. “This allows me to know that you received our message.” Kara’s voice concluded with a simple sonic beep.

Moments later Kara, Lois, and the present time shard’s Clark, heard the confirmation phrase. “He got it!” Supergirl shouted. Lois and Clark hugged each other, and then hugged Kara. “Nicely done, cousin!” Earth One’s Clark praised.

Earth Nineteen’s Superman suddenly disappeared into a darkened abyss. The old loft area within the Kent barn was once again empty and devoid of any indication that Clark Kent was ever there. Would Earth 19 survive without its Superman?

Comment

Mm

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎