Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shazam

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shazam is a good movie with a 90 % RT score. I wonder why it did so poorly in the box office (probably going to earn less than 400 million dollars worldwide). Is it because the action is too light ? Or insufficient marketing ? Or are people just saving money to watch Endgame multiple times ?

WB/DC seems to be comfortable with their new strategy of "small films" (Shazam, Joker, Birds of Prey; Aquaman's blockbuster was probably unexpected). Should they be bolder though ?
    Last edited by Mbruno; 04-14-2019, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbruno
      Shazam is a good movie with a 90 % RT score. I wonder why it did so poorly in the box office (probably going to earn less than 400 million dollars worldwide). Is it because the action is too light ? Or insufficient marketing ? Or are people just saving money to watch Endgame multiple times ?

WB/DC seems to be comfortable with their new strategy of "small films" (Shazam, Joker, Birds of Prey; Aquaman's blockbuster was probably unexpected). Should they be bolder though ?
      I’m going to say it was the release date of this film (sandwiched in between two major comic book films) with little time to have any legs. It will probably be #1 next week but, than you got that little film called Avengers: Endgame, which will kick of the summer blockbuster season. It would have faired better in August.

Comment

I finally got around to watching this movie.

It was a fairly decent movie and very enjoyable to watch. but at the same time, I put it on the same level as Captain Marvel. An enjoyable time-waster, but not a movie that I would want to watch a dozen times over. maybe watch it again once now and then... but.

They kinda glossed over Billy Baston's emotional moment when he finally found his real mother. They built up to that moment... and that was it? They also didn't do enough to show us how he formed bonds with the other foster kids despite telling himself that he was going to find his mother any day soon. So the moment he decided that his foster family was, in fact, his real family seemed a tad abrupt and odd.

It's things like that that made me think that maybe Shazam would have been better off as a short TV series. maybe not the kind that ran for 10 seasons, but as a series that had 25 episodes to really fully explore the Shazam mythos AND Billy Baston's emotional journey as he discovers the real meaning of family.

Comment

Comment

I may have my issues with how the DCEU has been handled in the last 3 years, but the recent origin movies have been quite good. Shazam is not as emotional as Wonder Woman or as visually stunning as Aquaman, but it's still a fun movie to watch. With a ton of heart and with comedy that didn't go overboard. Compared to Captain Marvel or Spiderman FFH, you might say that Shazam did MCU better than those movies did.

Nice to see John Glover in a movie like this. He seems to have a habit of raising evil bald guys who want to kill him.

Comment

I've seen the 'Shazam' movie, last Sunday. It was a good movie. It was great to see the real Captain Marvel in a movie, along with the Marvel Family. The main villain was a match for the hero, but when he accepted his new family, the villain is as good as defeated. I can't wait for the sequel.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎