X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eleidich
    what a sweet guy this Clark!
    Clark is definitely a very sweet guy.

Comment

Fantastic honey I'm hooked can't wait to see what happens next!

Comment

Originally posted by ctbn60
        Fantastic honey I'm hooked can't wait to see what happens next!
        Thanks Carol. I will put your cover up shortly. Thanks again for doing it.

Comment

Check out the cover made for the story by ctbn60.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz

Comment

First, let me tell you, that this is one of my favorite movies! It's not a very popular movie here, tho... never released in theaters... i first rented it on the video store back in the 90's (wow... video store and 90's in the same sentence... now everyone here will know how old I am LOL) and kept doing the same for months and months. I was so in love with Christina Slater back then. Actually, the old flame is still here, my friend Loved that you got inspiration from it.

Second, i'm hooked! hahaha Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

Please, keep the updates coming

Comment

Originally posted by cathy14
                First, let me tell you, that this is one of my favorite movies! It's not a very popular movie here, tho... never released in theaters... i first rented it on the video store back in the 90's (wow... video store and 90's in the same sentence... now everyone here will know how old I am LOL) and kept doing the same for months and months. I was so in love with Christina Slater back then. Actually, the old flame is still here, my friend Loved that you got inspiration from it.

Second, i'm hooked! hahaha Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

Please, keep the updates coming
                Hey Cathy, I can't promise I'll keep to the movie, but I did like the premise. Glad you like the start of it.

Comment

wo great story more plz

Comment

I liked the movie at the time, but I would prefer that this story had only some parts based on the film and the rest were more clois type. Get it?
                    Attention is not a critique!

Comment

Originally posted by bigvillir001
                      wo great story more plz
                      I'm about to post the next chapter.

Originally posted by JoanaLaneKent
                      I liked the movie at the time, but I would prefer that this story had only some parts based on the film and the rest were more clois type. Get it?
                      Attention is not a critique!
                      Don't worry about that. I don't plan on following the film too much. It basically only acts as the inspiration/background.

Comment

Chapter Three

Clark was relieved when Nell hadn’t said a word to him the rest of the day or as they were shutting up shop, although the expression on her face showed she knew what he’d done. He hadn’t expected Lois to come down to the shop and try to find out for herself, but he supposed that had been a little naive.

It had taken him several days to figure out who she was. There had been no name in the slot next to the apartment when he’d gone back to try to find her. Still, that hadn’t deterred him. He’d waited across the street from the building, hoping he would catch her and had spotted her two days later, coming down the steps. Clark had discreetly followed her as she walked to work.

He supposed it could be considered stalking, but for some reason, he’d felt a pull toward Lois. He’d learned her name after another two days of watching the Daily Planet and hearing someone call after her. A further search of the newspaper itself had revealed her last name.

As he walked the streets that night, dressed in a black t-shirt and pants, covered by a black leather jacket, he thought more about the woman. He still didn’t know why she was so sad, but the little he had seen of her, he’d noticed her features were drawn and pale. She was clearly exhausted and her face had the pinched look of someone who had been crying a lot over the past few days. All he’d wanted to do was let her know that she wasn’t alone. That there was someone who cared.

As he walked, he found himself approaching her apartment building. Chloe would probably have laughed at him, telling him he was doing the same thing he’d once done with Lana. Despite the fact they’d basically been brought up as siblings, he’d always thought he’d had feelings for her. It wasn’t until they were actually married that he found himself wondering if that was really it. If there wasn’t something else out there for him.

The only reason he and Lana had got married in the first place was because she had become pregnant. They had both really been too young to get married, at nineteen, but Clark had chosen to do the ‘honourable’ thing. He had loved her, but there were times when he wondered if he had actually been in love with her.

It was one of the things they had been fighting about the day she had decided to leave Smallville and visit Nell for a while. Her aunt had just got divorced as well and Lana had wanted to spend time with her.

Distracted, Clark didn’t realise Lois was walking in front of him until he looked up. She was just walking past an alleyway and was stepping off the kerb to cross the road when a man attacked her from behind. Clark immediately blurred into action, giving the mugger a tap on the head just enough to knock him out and grabbed Lois before she could fall into the path of an oncoming car, setting her down on her feet and speeding just out of sight.

Realising the mugger was starting to come to his senses, Clark once again returned to the scene and picked him up before Lois could realise what was happening. Without evidence, he knew the police would just let the man go, so he dumped him a few blocks away. By the time the man was fully conscious, Clark was miles away.

There were no other incidents that night and Clark returned to his apartment just before midnight, heating up a tv dinner with his heat vision. Just as he settled down to eat, his phone rang.

“You’re rescuing my cousin from a mugging now?”

“Huh?” he asked Chloe.

“I heard all about it,” she said. “I just got off the phone with Lois.”

He frowned. “Lois Lane is your cousin?”

“I told you about her, don’t you remember?”

“Chloe, I ...” He shook his head. He vaguely recalled Chloe mentioning a cousin who had been a year older, but not her name.

“She also said something about some tulips? Clark, what are you doing?”

“I was just ... trying to be nice.”

“I get that, but you might want to curb your stalker tendencies. Lois does tend to get a little obsessed about things and she’s going to be asking some pretty tough questions. I told you your big heart would get you into trouble one day.”

“Yeah, you did,” he said with a smile. “It’s just ... I don’t know what it is, Chloe. I just saw her one night and she was so sad. I just ... I needed to do something.”

“That’s what I love about you, Clarkbar.” Chloe’s voice was tender, but there was a slight edge to it. “Just ... don’t try to read more into it than there is already, okay? I mean, Lois is a lot of things but she doesn’t do relationships. I just ...”

“Don’t want me to get hurt,” he finished. Chloe meant well, but he was still big enough to take care of himself.

Chloe was his best friend. His only friend, really. They’d known each other since middle school when Chloe’s father had moved them to Smallville. Gabe Sullivan had taken up a job at the Luthorcorp fertiliser plant as a manager. A year later, Lex Luthor had moved in to oversee the plant. Clark really only knew the man in passing, having met him years earlier, but the young Luthor scion had shown an interest in Chloe’s articles on the meteor infected.

Once Nell had moved them to Metropolis, Clark’s friendship with Chloe had basically dwindled down to the occasional visit or emailing every week. Then Chloe had moved back to the city after high school graduation to study at Met U and she’d managed to get an internship at the Daily Planet. She was now the youngest deputy bureau chief at the newspaper but it hadn’t come without long hours and hard work and a lot of sacrifices.

Clark went to bed late but for the first time in months he didn’t dream about the accident. He dreamed about a beautiful, tall brunette.

Lois was determined to find out more about Clark Kent so she googled him. There was a newspaper article about the death of his wife and child in the Smallville Ledger. Lois read the article, tears in her eyes. The article had gone on to explain that Clark had been orphaned at the age of ten when his parents had been killed in another accident.

She was surprised to discover he had not only lived in Smallville, but had gone to Smallville High the same time as her cousin.

She’d already told Chloe about the mysterious tulips the day before, and her theory that Clark Kent had left them for her. She was a bit annoyed that Chloe hadn’t told her she actually knew Clark.

It was time, she thought, for her cousin to answer a few questions.

Chloe’s expression when they sat down at the coffee shop down the block suggested she knew exactly what Lois wanted to talk about.

“You want to know why I didn’t tell you about Clark,” she said. “Actually, I did. A few years ago.”

Lois frowned. She didn’t remember anything about ...

“Hey, wasn’t he that geeky guy who worked on the school paper with you?”

“Until Nell moved him and Lana to Metropolis. Yeah, that’s the guy. And he’s not a geek.”

“Well, it’s just the way you talked about him, I got the impression he was kind of shy and well, a little, you know, uptight.”

“Lo, if you’d been orphaned twice, you’d be a little reticent too.”

She raised an eyebrow at her cousin, pausing for a moment as the waitress brought their coffees.

“What do you mean he was orphaned twice?”

“Well, he was adopted by the Kents. I think his real parents died when he was about two and he lived in an orphanage for about six months before he was adopted.”

“That’s so sad,” Lois told her.

Chloe shrugged. “Even I know that sometimes bad things happen to good people. And Clark is a good guy, Lo. One of the best, actually.”

“So, how come he works in a florist?”

“Well, Nell took him in when the Kents died. She thought it was better than him bouncing around from foster home to foster home. She had a little shop in Smallville but she bought the new one when she got divorced from her husband.”

“And Clark’s wife? What happened to her? The article said she and the baby were killed by a drunk driver.”

Chloe nodded. “Clark still blames himself for it. Lo, you’re not ... I mean, I know you. You don’t do relationships. Are you interested in Clark?”

“I just wanted to know why he would leave me flowers, Chloe. I mean, he doesn’t even know me.”

“Well, that’s Clark. He does nice things for people.”

“But how did he even know where I worked? I mean, don’t you think that’s kind of creepy?”

“I’m sure that’s not how Clark intended it to be. Besides, you’re here asking me all these questions about him when really you should be talking to him about it all. Unless you think that will make you come off sounding kind of stalkerish.”

Lois bit her lip. Okay, point taken, she thought. Still, she couldn’t help but be intrigued by Clark. For someone who had seen so much tragedy in his life, she would have thought he would have backed off from doing anything for anyone, instead of leaving a gift designed to put a smile on her face.

Chloe sipped her coffee and grinned at her.

“So, tell me more about your little encounter with the Guardian.”

“Not much to tell, really. I mean, this guy tried to mug me and pushed me out into the path of an oncoming car. Next thing I knew he’s unconscious on the ground and I’m standing over him, then he’s disappearing right before my eyes.”

She’d done a little more digging on the mysterious Guardian as well. No one had ever seen his face, that she could learn, but there had been several saves over the past couple of years which could be attributed to him. A number of experts had expounded theories suggesting he was a meta-human but no one was really sure of the scope of his abilities. Strength and speed were a given, she thought, especially if he could come and go within the blink of an eye. The question was, where did he come from and how did he get those abilities.

Lois had been hearing several stories over the past few years of people who had strange abilities. There had been some circulating in Florida of a man who could swim like a fish and seemed to be able to breathe underwater. There were others of a young man who could run faster than the eye could see. In Star City, there were reports of a man dressed in green leather who seemed to be a modern-day Robin Hood and in Gotham a man dressed like a bat.

She wondered if the Guardian was one of them.

When she returned to the office, determined to dig up more about not only Clark but the mysterious Guardian, she found Lex waiting for her. He was sitting on the edge of the desk reading from one of the scrapbooks she had collated of her articles.

“I hope you don’t mind me invading your space,” he said.

“It’s fine,” she said, taking off her coat and hanging it on the rack. “Have you been here long?”

“Not long. Your collection of articles kept me entertained. You’re a very talented writer, Lois.”

She nodded her thanks at the compliment, wondering what he was doing.

“Olsen told me you were having coffee with your cousin,” he continued.

“Oh, yeah. Just down the street.”

Jimmy Olsen was a photography intern who’d only just joined the paper a couple of months ago. He was a freshman at Met U. Chloe had once dated his older brother, who had also been called Jimmy, although it was actually his middle name. The couple had broken up after a few months and Chloe’s ex had moved to New York.

She frowned slightly at Lex before sitting down at her desk.

“Uh, so what can I do for you,” she asked.

“It’s more what I can do for you. I’m hosting a dinner party tomorrow night and I’d like you to come. As my guest.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” she said slowly.

“I’ve invited General Cohen. I believe he has worked with your father before.”

It was just like Lex to dangle such a carrot. She knew Jacob Cohen, or at least, of him, and if anyone knew what was going on with the search for her father, he would.

“Who else is coming to this dinner party?” she asked, knowing Lex was more than likely to set it up so she and Cohen were the only guests.

“Oh, just a few acquaintances,” he said, almost airily. “Some old friends of my father’s.”

Lex was up to something. She could practically smell it. He might be setting things up for her to score points but he clearly had some other business deals he was trying to put together. She had to admit he was shrewd. Then again, he was apparently a certified genius.

Chloe had warned her when she’d met Lex for the first time that he was one of those people who were deceptively smart in a lot of ways. He knew just what screws to turn to get someone to see things his way. Given his rumoured high IQ, he could have been anything he chose to be, but had instead followed in Lionel Luthor’s footsteps to become a ruthless businessman.

Lionel had been dead for about three years. Some had speculated that Lex had had him killed, or had done the dirty deed himself, but a source Lois had spoken to had told her Lionel had simply died of liver disease. It was his lifestyle, they said. Too much hard drinking, too much stress and too few vacations.

Lex knew very well she couldn’t turn down a chance to find out more about her father’s predicament and Lois found herself agreeing to go.

“I will pick you up from your apartment at seven,” he said as he stood up to walk out the door.

“You will? Uh, don’t you have a driver?” she asked.

He smiled briefly. “Indulge me. It isn’t often I get to show off to a beautiful woman.”

Lois was nervous the next evening when she dressed for the dinner party. She had already rejected several outfits. Some for being too conservative and others for being too sexy. She didn’t want to give Lex the wrong impression.

She finally settled on a black knee-length wool dress that hugged her curves yet showed very little in the way of skin. Her hair was long and loose with a few soft curls to add body.

Lex knocked on the door precisely at seven. Lois picked up her purse and went to the door, unhooking the chain and unlocking each of the five deadbolts she had had installed. The bald billionaire smiled at her.

“You know, you really should check before you open the door. I might be an axe murderer or something.” He laughed at his little joke.

“Uh, I guess,” she said, anxious to leave. Lex paused in the doorway, looking around him.

“I like the way you decorated your apartment, Lois.” He seemed to have spotted something and came all the way in to the room. “Tulips?” he said, going to touch one of the delicate petals.

“A gift. From a friend.”

“I dated a girl once. She loved white tulips. They wouldn’t be from an admirer would they?” he asked almost coyly.

Subtle, she thought, taking his arm.

“Lex, you have no reason to be jealous. Like I said, they were a gift from a friend. Shouldn’t we be going? You don’t want to keep your guests waiting.”

“Of course, how silly of me,” he said, his hand tightening around her arm.

Lois had heard Lex had a reputation for fast driving, but she hadn’t believed it until she experienced it.

“Auditioning for NASCAR?” she asked as he sped through the streets.

“Surely my driving isn’t that fast?” he asked mildly.

“That depends on which Andretti you’re channelling,” she retorted. He laughed.

“I’ve always enjoyed your wit, Lois.”

She bit her lip. This was going to be one hell of an evening.

Clark fidgeted nervously next to Nell, wondering what on Earth he was doing here.

“Sweetie, what’s wrong? You seem very nervous.”

“What are we doing here, Nell?”

She looked around at the other guests. Most of them were property owners in Smallville.

“I wish I knew,” she said. “Of course, I knew Lionel years ago, but as for his son ...”

Clark remembered an incident that had happened years ago, not long after he had gone to live with Nell. They had gone to the city so Lana could participate in a riding competition. Since Nell and Lionel had some mutual business interests, the older man had invited them to stay over at the Luthor mansion. Clark and Lana had gone to check out the indoor pool and had found Lex skinny-dipping with a girl.

Clark might have only been ten and rather naive, but it had been fairly obvious what Lex was doing. Lionel had been furious with his son for his behaviour. Lex had been totally unrepentant and had taken off shortly after.

When Lex had first come to Smallville, Lana had been the one to mention their brief meeting. Clark had been too embarrassed when he’d met the bald man at school.

He’d been curious when he’d received the invitation to a dinner party at Lex Luthor’s penthouse. After all, Lex had barely spared him a passing glance when he’d come to talk to Chloe about her articles. What possible reason could he have for wanting to talk to Clark now?

He felt like he stuck out like a sore thumb at this party. He didn’t know anyone there, although he was aware that some of them had been neighbouring farmers in Smallville. The only one he did know was Ben Hubbard, since he was the only one who had continued to talk to Clark after his parents died.

The chatter dropped and Lex came in, escorting a woman. Clark was stunned to realise it was Lois Lane. Were they dating? he asked himself.

Lois didn’t seem all that happy to be there, darting Lex looks as he made his way into the room and introducing her with a possessive hand in the small of her back. She didn’t strike Clark as the kind of woman who enjoyed proprietary gestures and from the expression on her face he could see she was definitely not happy with Lex for doing it.

Lex approached Nell with a smile on his face, taking her hand and kissing her cheek.

“Nell. It’s wonderful to see you. I haven’t seen you since my father died.”

“Hello Lex. You’re looking well,” Nell greeted him politely.

Lex turned to Clark and shook his hand, the smile on his face reminding Clark of something he’d once seen on a nature program. Like the smile of a predator about to strike his prey.

“Clark. I’m glad you could make it. This is a friend of mine, Lois Lane.”

He propelled Lois forward so suddenly her heel caught on the plush carpet and she almost fell. Clark reached out to steady her.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

“I’m fine,” she said, shooting Lex a look. The bald man had already moved on to greet someone else. “I didn’t know you knew Lex,” she continued.

“Nell more than me,” he said. “Well, she knew his dad a few years back but we haven’t had a lot to do with the Luthors.”

“So, um, I hear you know my cousin.”

He nodded, feeling his face grow hot.

“Chloe. She told me she’d talked to you.”

“She, uh, told me about ... your family. I’m sorry, Clark. I lost my mom when I was six so I kind of know how you feel.”

She couldn’t possibly, he thought, but he appreciated the sentiment all the same.

Lex returned and guided Lois away to talk to someone else. She sent Clark an apologetic look, even as the other man began murmuring something to her. Clark was tempted to eavesdrop with his super hearing, but decided against it.

They sat down to dinner around eight. Clark was quick to notice that Lois was told to sit as far away from him as humanly possible. He had to wonder what Lex had seen between him and Lois that had him feeling so threatened.

Meanwhile, Lois was talking to an older man who had the posture of someone who had spent some time in the military. He sat with his back straight, his manner almost stiff. Lois was talking animatedly, waving her hands. The man kept shaking his head and she began looking more and more upset. Unable to help himself, Clark listened in.

“You have to tell me something,” she said. “Someone has to know what happened to my father.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Lane, you know your father’s work is mostly classified.”

“He’s been M.I.A in Afghanistan for three weeks and you’re telling me it’s classified? How can a man missing in the desert be classified?”

“Is the food not to your liking?”

Clark turned and looked at Lex, startled. He’d barely touched the food on his plate and the other man was gazing pointedly at it.

“Oh, no, it’s delicious,” he said, hurriedly taking a bite of the chicken. “I’m a little curious though. Why did you invite me here tonight? I mean, we hardly know each other.”

“Except that we both lived in Smallville for a time,” Lex said. “Clark, it’s very simple. I have a business proposition for you.”

He blinked. “Business proposition?”

The bald man nodded. “I know that most of the farm was sold after your parents died, but you still have about twenty acres. Luthorcorp is interested in buying it.”

Clark stared at him. Sure, most of the farm was gone, but there was still the homestead and the small parcel of land surrounding it. His grandfather had left it in trust for him until he was old enough to decide what he wanted to do with it, but he’d always been reluctant to sell it, since it was the only piece remaining of his parents’ legacy.

What on Earth could Lex want with the land?
                        Last edited by phoenixnz; 08-13-2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Oh, I see Lois is just as interested in 'Clarkbar' as he is with her. I hope after the dinner party, Clark will have the courage to ask Lois out. Lois deserves better than Mr. Chrome Dome so I hope she makes it very clear to him that she's not interested.

As for the whereabouts of the General....Afganistan is a very dangerous place to be in, but why do I get the feeling that Lex is somehow involved. Can't wait for this mystery to unfold. Who knows, maybe Clark will help Lois and they will figure things out together. Of course, as the Gaurdian, he can probably find out the answer to Lois' questions. Better him than Lex. I don't want Lois to feel like she owes him ANYTHING should info of the General come from him.

More soon please!

Comment

Great chapter. I can't wait to see how the relationship between Clark & Lois progresses.

Comment

I'm also wondering what Lex wants with that land, considering there's only a small patch with the house left.

PS: phoenix, I've sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamClois
                                Oh, I see Lois is just as interested in 'Clarkbar' as he is with her. I hope after the dinner party, Clark will have the courage to ask Lois out. Lois deserves better than Mr. Chrome Dome so I hope she makes it very clear to him that she's not interested.

As for the whereabouts of the General....Afganistan is a very dangerous place to be in, but why do I get the feeling that Lex is somehow involved. Can't wait for this mystery to unfold. Who knows, maybe Clark will help Lois and they will figure things out together. Of course, as the Gaurdian, he can probably find out the answer to Lois' questions. Better him than Lex. I don't want Lois to feel like she owes him ANYTHING should info of the General come from him.

More soon please!
                                Lex is trying to mark his territory but Lois isn't have a bar of it. She's definitely more than a little interested in Clark, although right now he's more or less just getting the sympathy vote.

You're right though. When it comes to helping the general, way better Clark than Lex. Lois really does not need to be owing Lex anything.

Originally posted by clarkfan325
                                Great chapter. I can't wait to see how the relationship between Clark & Lois progresses.
                                Thank you. It's going to be a slow but hopefully enjoyable ride.

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                                I'm also wondering what Lex wants with that land, considering there's only a small patch with the house left.

PS: phoenix, I've sent you a PM.
                                Lex is always scheming something, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎