Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76
  1. #46
    Pirate King Backward Galaxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,010
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDevil View Post
    I know what I'm doing this weekend.
    My sister's getting married this weekend. She's such a jerk, making me wait to binge Luke Cage.

    Haha

  2. #47
    Posting Pro DoubleDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen, Germany
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    My sister's getting married this weekend. She's such a jerk, making me wait to binge Luke Cage.

    Haha
    HA!

    “Sorry sis, I could've sworn you said it was next weekend.“

  3. #48
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    My sister's getting married this weekend. She's such a jerk, making me wait to binge Luke Cage.

    Haha
    I know the feeling. I thought it was next weekend so I had planned to propose to my missus this weekend, I have absolutely no chance of seeing a single episode for probably the next week now.

  4. #49
    Pirate King Backward Galaxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    The Danger Zone
    Posts
    11,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipzo View Post
    I know the feeling. I thought it was next weekend so I had planned to propose to my missus this weekend, I have absolutely no chance of seeing a single episode for probably the next week now.
    Women, amirite? LoL

    Good luck! Hope it's everything you and she ever wanted it to be!

  5. #50
    Nate nate-dog1701d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10
    Location
    Sector 2814
    Posts
    3,591
    I thought this was coming up soon, but I can't watch it either; I have family visiting. Poor Luke Cage won't have any viewers on opening weekend.

  6. #51
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Burbank, CA by way of Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    18,181
    I've written my review of the opening episodes of the series. It's worth staying up late for tonight.

    http://daredeviltv.net/luke-cage-adv...etflix-marvel/

  7. #52
    Custom Title jon-el87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11,345
    Dragged my feet through the first three episodes and gave up. Hopefully, others here will enjoy it more than I did.

  8. #53
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Burbank, CA by way of Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    18,181
    The fourth episode is an origin story - might be worth giving it one more try.

  9. #54
    We Will Avenge!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Where the Galaxy Calls
    Posts
    87,457
    I've only seen the first two episodes and I'm loving it so far. Luke Cage seems to be a guy who has these abilities but, doesn't want to get involved unless it's absolutely necessary. [SPOILER] I wish they hadn't killed Pops to motivate Luke into getting involved; at least why did they have to do it so early in the season. There seemed to be a lot of respect even from Cottonmouth; dude had it coming when he throw him off the roof. Cottonmouth is just as vicious as Kingpin[/SPOILER]

    I'm loving Misty Knight, she can definitely handle herself with the boys.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 10-01-2016 at 07:18 AM.

  10. #55
    We Will Avenge!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Where the Galaxy Calls
    Posts
    87,457
    Quote Originally Posted by KSiteTV View Post
    The fourth episode is an origin story - might be worth giving it one more try.
    I loved his origin story...it was a classic superhero origin; including how he came up with his new identity. You got to love this guy

  11. #56
    We Will Avenge!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Where the Galaxy Calls
    Posts
    87,457
    I also am loving how they use the music from the club with the action.

  12. #57
    Posting Pro DoubleDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen, Germany
    Posts
    1,000
    I enjoyed the series although it did take me a little longer to get me hooked and the quality wasn't quite as high as with DD & JJ, a lot of Turk for example felt a little forced and out of place. I like the character but similar tie in easter eggs came over much more naturally from Claire than Turk. Mike Colter was fantasic as was Rosario Dawson (and boy do we get a lot of her in this show) and Simone Missick. Mahershala Ali was good but not really a Vincent D'Onfrio. Erik LaRay Harvey was more convincing as was Alfre Woodard but I'd say Theo Rossi was probably the best of the villain performances. Overall not as strong as the other two shows but still a strong 7-8 outta 10.
    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 09-30-2016 at 06:20 PM.

  13. #58
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by darkphoenix21 View Post
    I've only seen the first two episodes and I'm loving it so far. Luke Cage seems to be a guy who has these abilities but, doesn't want to get involved unless it's absolutely necessary. [SPOILER] I wish they hadn't killed Pops to motivate Luke into getting involved; at least why did have to be so early in the season; though there seemed to be a lot of respect even from Cottonmouth; dude had it coming when cottonmouth throw in off the roof. Cottonmouth is just as vicious as Kingpin[/SPOILER]

    I'm loving Misty Knight, she can definitely handle herself with the boys.
    Hiya Daredevil! It's nice to some familiar names on the "Luke Cage" board! I binge-watched the first six episodes yesterday, and I'll probably finish the LC Marathon tonight after dinner. I'm loving the series so far, and my only regret is that I have to wait for at least another six months/a year until I'll get to watch season two. That's the disadvantage with Netflix....you burn through the episodes, and then you have to wait for so long for the sequel.

    [SPOILER] Anyway, concerning your comment about Pop's death as a motivation for Luke becoming a superhero/vigilante, I think this a classic trope in superhero fiction. Although the hero may already have supernatural abilities (or is just extremely well-trained and resourceful), that would not suffice to make him a great crime fighter. I'd say that ANY comic book superhero needs some inner psychological motivation for becoming a vigilante. If you look at Spiderman/Batman/CW's Green Arrow/CW's Flash/Marvel's Daredevil, the violent death of a loved one, and the need to avenge this death and turn it into something positive is the motivating force for all these heroes.

    Before Pop's death Luke Cage just tried to get by and didn't have any real purpose in his life. However, for Luke Pop set an example of humanity and dedication to the community, and when he was killed his legacy inspired Luke to do something good with his extraordinary strength and abilities. So, just like Oliver Queen became a vigilante to honor his father, Cage became a vigilante to honor Pops. I think Pops was a wonderful character, but from a narrative perspective his death was necessary, because it made Luke realize that he needs use his powers to set things right in Harlem.

    I don't know if this makes any sense, but my impression is that Pop's character trajectory was intended to mirror Luke's character trajectory: Pop was portrayed as someone who managed to turn his life around and become a positive force and a symbol of hope in a neighbourhood riddled by poverty and crime, and when he dies Luke Cage tries to emulate him and carry on his mission. So, in a way it was necessary for Pop to die in order for Luke to be drawn out of his inertia and embrace his superhero fate/mission.
    [/SPOILER]
    Last edited by evaba; 10-01-2016 at 04:43 AM.

  14. #59
    Posting Pro DoubleDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen, Germany
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    Hiya Daredevil! It's nice to some familiar names on the "Luke Cage" board! I binge-watched the first six episodes yesterday, and I'll probably finish the LC Marathon tonight after dinner. I'm loving the series so far, and my only regret is that I have to wait for at least another six months/a year until I'll get to watch season two. That's the disadvantage with Netflix....you burn through the episodes, and then you have to wait for so long for the sequel.

    [SPOILER] Anyway, concerning your comment about Pop's death as a motivation for Luke becoming a superhero/vigilante, I think this a classic trope in superhero fiction. Although the hero may already have supernatural abilities (or is just extremely well-trained and resourceful), that would not suffice to make him a great crime fighter. I'd say that ANY comic book superhero needs some inner psychological motivation for becoming a vigilante. If you look at Spiderman/Batman/CW's Green Arrow/CW's Flash/Marvel's Daredevil, the violent death of a loved one, and the need to avenge this death and turn it into something positive is the motivating force for all these heroes.

    Before Pop's death Luke Cage just tried to get by and didn't have any real purpose in his life. However, for Luke Pop set an example of humanity and dedication to the community, and when he was killed his legacy inspired Luke to do something good with his extraordinary strength and abilities. So, just like Oliver Queen became a vigilante to honor his father, Cage became a vigilante to honor Pops. I think Pops was a wonderful character, but from a narrative perspective his death was necessary, because it made Luke realize that he needs use his powers to set things right in Harlem.

    I don't know if this makes any sense, but my impression is that Pop's character trajectory was intended to mirror Luke's character trajectory: Pop was portrayed as someone who managed to turn his life around and become a positive force and a symbol of hope in a neighbourhood riddled by poverty and crime, and when he dies Luke Cage tries to emulate him and carry on his mission. So, in a way it was necessary for Pop to die in order for Luke to be drawn out of his inertia and embrace his superhero fate/mission.
    [/SPOILER]
    Hi evaba. I got home from work yesterday afternoon and binged the entire thing which meant I was up for 24 hours. There are a ton of twists throughout the series that I loved and most of the tropes used worked well without feeling forced. My only really negative critique were some of the easter eggs/cross show references and some of the acting early in the series (Scarfe, Cottonmouth's bloody pulp punching scene, etc...) didn't stand up to the high expectation I had. When Fisk unloads on somebody you see in his body language that he's not holding back, Cottonmouth looked like he was throwing real slow jabs instead of powerful punches or fast explosive blows and they seemed to be landing everywhere not just the face.
    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 10-01-2016 at 06:59 AM.

  15. #60
    We Will Avenge!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Where the Galaxy Calls
    Posts
    87,457
    I just finished the season and thought it was a good freshmen attempt. I still think Daredevil is still the best of the Marvel-Netflix series. The ending was meh. It could have been trimmed down by 1/2 an hour and/or minutes should have been added throughout the season to make it 12 episodes. After the fight there should have been like a five minute conclusion; I was waiting for it to end but, they seemed to tack on scenes to make it at least 43 minutes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •