Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iron Fist (Netflix)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Marc's main criticism I can't find myself refuting was that he couldn't put his finger on what IF is actually about. While I think the show has more merit than he does, I can't disagree with him. If someone asked me, "What is the show about?" I could give them plot points, but probably not any kind of thematic message. Maybe... people without a family trying to find their place in the world through a mission of sorts? I don't really know.

You make a good point about Danny's anger, though. Not very zen for the supposed best of the best.

Comment

Finally got around to watching it. I don't get why it was trashed so much ahead of its release. I didn't find it much worse than Luke Cage, Jessica Jones or Daredevil 2. Marvel's Netflix shows have been on par, more or less. You can find the same amount of positives and flaws in all of them. The only season that was head and shoulders above the rest was Daredevil 1.

Anyway, I felt it was very easy to sit through and, as someone who knows very little about Iron Fist, I found the story quite interesting. Although, I must say that there were times were Rand felt a bit underwhelming as Iron Fist. But I guess that could be attributed to him not being the finished article. Finn Jones didn't particularly stand out, but I was very impressed with Jessica Henwick. She owned the screen every time she appeared.

A few words on what I didn't like. As much as I like Dawson, there was nothing subtle about the way Claire got shoehorned in here. It felt unnecessary even with the Defenders coming up. Secondly, it felt like the Meachum siblings flip flopped quite a lot and it was hard to keep track of them or their motives. And while Ward's actions in the last episode felt a bit organic and the product of adequate character development, Joy's final scene with Davos came completely out of left field. Finally, I didn't mind The Hand as the villains, but it felt like their storyline was stretched too much. It would have been best if they were introduced after the first 5-6 episodes.
      Last edited by costas22; 04-11-2017, 03:02 AM.

Comment

D'Onofrio's Kingpin is probably my favorite villain of any superhero show/movie but Tennant's Kilgrave has got to rank as one of the all time best. Jessica Jones was able to portray her reluctance of being a hero much better than Luke Cage and DD2 showed Matt embracing his vigilante-ism much better than Iron Fist IMO but still I think all 4 shows are the best quality comic genre tv shows to date (excluding animated tv). I'm really looking forward to seeing the 4 of them coming together in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
          I am genuinely confused as to why the critics hated the show. I thought it was pretty good. I really really felt bad for Ward.
          I don't know why the critics hated it, but most comics fans ddn't like it because they think Finn Jones' portrayal of Danny Rand didn't do justice to the character. In particular, the fight scenes were heavily criticized as being subpar for a champion of K'un-L'un worth of the power of the Iron Fist. In addition, Danny's personality in the Netflix series was completely out of character.
          Last edited by Mbruno; 04-11-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Iron Fist renewed for S2

http://tvline.com/2017/07/21/marvels...ewed-season-2/

Comment

Well, considering how season 1 ended, there better have been a season 2.

Will be interesting to see when we actually get the new seasons. Daredevil 3, Jessica Jones 2 and Luke Cage 2 are all supposed to premier in 2018.
              Last edited by costas22; 07-22-2017, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Good thing they have a new showrunner for s2...also hope Finn Jones got good training this time unlike Season 1

Comment

I finally subscribed to Netflix so I could watch this and The Defenders in one month. I was expecting to have to force myself through it due to vague criticisms I'd heard, but I definitely enjoyed it. The first episode was pretty weak, and Danny was pretty lousy at trying to prove his identity, but things improved from there.

I wish I more clearly remembered all the stuff we've learned about The Hand and Madame Gao on Daredevil. I don't recall them being explicitly associated. It's getting hard to keep up with all these superhero shows. It was nice to see her, though. I assume she'll be playing a role in The Defenders.

Can we call all these Hand factions "Fingers"?

Comment

S2 premieres on September 7th, 2018 and the villain has been confirmed.

https://tvline.com/2018/07/19/iron-f...-date-netflix/

Comment

In some very welcome news, season 2 will only have 10 episodes. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come for all Marvel/Netflix shows from now on.

https://screenrant.com/iron-fist-season-2-episode-count-number/

Comment

Originally posted by Mbruno
                        I don't know why the critics hated it, but most comics fans ddn't like it because they think Finn Jones' portrayal of Danny Rand didn't do justice to the character. In particular, the fight scenes were heavily criticized as being subpar for a champion of K'un-L'un worth of the power of the Iron Fist. In addition, Danny's personality in the Netflix series was completely out of character.
                        This. I found myself increasingly irritated with Danny Rand every time he opened his mouth or did things. He acted like such a entitled little boy over everything. His naivety I could maybe forgive considering that he was cut off from the entire world for a long time.

BUT..... I have a hard time believing that growing up with the monks he didn't learn things like common sense, basic hygiene, etc. For Pete sake, in the first ep he wandered around the city like a flithy hobo who hadn't bathed or showered for decades.
                        Is the show telling me that the Kun Lun didn't teach Danny Rand to groom himself or anything like that? Heck, even most hobos nowadays find a way to clean themselves nowadays... at places like public bathrooms, shelters, etc.

And Danny Rand wondered why they didn't believe him, when he barged in dressed and smelling like a homeless hobo living on the street who hadn't showered in weeks. He just looked crazy.

And then there's later on when he pretty much breaks into Ward's sister's house and scares the heck out of her, etc. It's like Danny Rand doesn't even stop to think about how his behavior would seem like to others. It's all about him, and he doesn't take other people's feelings and comfort into consideration.

and let's not get me started on how he treated Colleen Wang in front of her students. When he showed up to her kung fu classes, He just naturally assumed that he could interrupt Miss Wang's class and just take over without even asking her if it was okay or anything. He acted like such a jerk in that scene.

He was personifying the very idea of entitlement itself. He just shows up at places, naturally assuming that things will be handed to him on a silver platter just like that. And then he acts so shocked whenever somebody actually calls him out on his ********.
                        Honestly throughout season 1 I was hoping that Ward would turn out to be the real hero of the show, because Ward ended up being more sympathetic to me than Danny rand was in any way. Danny Rand's personality just really grates on my nerves.

Comment

Comment

I just finished S2. I liked where we left the series...[SPOILER] Colleen becoming the new Iron Fist was a great twist (especially with the understanding that that never happened in comics); I guess there is no limit to where they can go next. Now we have Danny and Ward going on this wild adventure trying to discover themselves while trying to find the truth about the Iron Fist legend that may prove that it was always Colleen’s destiny to have. [/SPOILER]

Comment

I assume whoever visits this thread to talk about the season will have already watched it, so I'll skip the spoiler tags. Ok, here are some thought that I gathered after watching Season 2:

- I'd say it was a bit better than the second seasons of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Which doesn't say much, because I'm not a big fan of those seasons. Shortening season 2 of Iron Fist was vital in making it more enjoyable. I really hope Marvel and Netflix adopt the 10-episode approach with all their shows from now on.

- All in all, I liked the flow of the season and the fact that the plot was simple and without multiple twists and characters switching allegiances.

- I don't know how to feel about the Colleen twist. On one hand, it's rewarding a character who's been popular and strongly written since day 1. On the other hand, it doesn't solve the Danny Rand problem season 1 created. If anything, I'd say this season regressed Danny's character even further and made him a failed sideshow act on his very own show. What's even more puzzling is that they ignored the progress we saw the character make in Defenders (which was also evident in his Luke Cage cameo). All that said, the final scene of Danny using the Fist as he was shooting the guns was promising and hopefully Season 3 will be about him FINALLY discovering his purpose and leaning how to channel the full power of the Iron Fist. Although I don't see Colleen losing the Fist. Truth be told, this show is just as much about her than it is about him now.

- Ward remains one of my favorite characters and I liked his scenes with Danny.

- Joy was a bit more interesting this season, but not by a significant margin. Not sure what's left for her on the show.

- Alice Eve was really terrific as Typhoid Mary, IMO. She did a great job of portraying her different personalities. I was glad to see her stick around for next season.

- Just an observation. Imagine if there was a show about a female hero which: had more male major characters than female, constantly wrote the female hero poorly to prop her boyfriend, had the female hero (who was an expert fighter at the start of the series) re-learn how to fight by her boyfriend and had the female hero's boyfriend assume her special abilities. That show would have been trashed for its "sexism". Not accusing Iron Fist of anything, mind you (although I do resent that the titular character is written so weakly, regardess of whether a male or a female character gets elevated at his expense). Just pointing out the double standards.
                              Last edited by costas22; 09-09-2018, 02:10 AM.

Comment

One thing is for sure, they should go ahead with a Misty/Colleen team up miniseries. Misty’s purpose this season seemed to revolve around her convincing Colleen to partner up. They’ve obviously put that out in the ether so, why not have a 3-4 episode miniseries revolved around a crime unrelated to Luke or Danny. It could even be set within the 4 month time lapse of the season finale.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎