Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the pilot episode is unintentionally creepy as hell, if you think about it.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the pilot episode is unintentionally creepy as hell, if you think about it.

I just started re-watching episodes.. and I just never realized how massively creepy some of the pilot was for Smallville! Things that bothered me:

1. the fact that Clark was being a total creeper towards Lana Lang with the telescope bit. I do find saintly boys to be boring as hell, but I think there's ways to highlight that Clark is a normal teenager boy without resorting to this creepy behavior. If they had just skipped the whole spying on Lana with the telescope bit, Clark would had seemed like a very normal teenage boy who occasionally fantasized about his crush in a very pg way. Plus the way they went about this made it seem like this was a thing he did on a regular basis, even if they didn't show him doing that again.
    Do you know how much of an invasion of privacy that is for women? Women can get stalked and sexually harassed this way, so for the writers to try to pass this off as some innocent, cute teenage boy behavior.... well that's just squicky and disturbing for me.

2. And then there's the whole Cruifxation bit. I think the writers wanted to do the whole "Clark Kent/Superman is Jesus" allegory, but they didn't really stop to think how creepy this made the entire town out to be. I mean, people have actually died from this kind of thing in real life. This is actually worse than your everyday bullying here, because Scarecrow boy looked like he had been up there for days when young lex found him. Now, maybe Scarecrow boy was more of a severe case, but this still doesn't excuse the fact that it happened at all. For all those who don't know, crucifixion can actually be quite deadly even if you build a support system on the poles for the human body. Now, when people say Crucifixion most people think of the cross-shaped pole that Jesus died on.
    But there's actually different types of Crucifixion, and most of them are not only painful, but deadly. The one they used in Smallville here is what would be called a Crux Commissa. Crux Commissa was a capital T-shaped structure, also known as St. Anthony's cross or the Tau Cross, named after the Greek letter ("Tau") that it resembles. The horizontal beam of the Crux Commissa or "connected cross" was connected at the top of the vertical stake. This cross was very similar in shape and function to the one that Jesus died on.

Even if those Smallville citizens used ropes instead of the traditional large nails, being strung up like this can put a great deal of stress on the human body... more so if the person is left up there for extended periods of time. The majority of people who are left up there for days can die from shock, or by slow suffocation even if they are well-fed and given water.

let me describe how this could happen with a T-shaped cross:
    As the arms fatigue, great waves of cramps sweep over the muscles, knotting them in deep, relentless, throbbing pain. With these cramps comes the inability to push himself or herself upward. Hanging by the arms, the pectoral muscles are unable to act. Air can be drawn into the lungs, but cannot be exhaled. the victim fights to raise in order to get even one short breath. Finally, carbon dioxide builds up in the lungs and in the blood stream and the cramps partially subside. Spasmodically, he is able to push himself upward to exhale and bring in the life-giving oxygen.Hours of this limitless pain, cycles of twisting, joint-rending cramps, intermittent partial asphyxiation, searing pain as tissue is torn from His lacerated back as He moves up and down against the rough timber. Then another agony begins. A deep crushing pain deep in the chest as the pericardium slowly fills with serum and begins to compress the heart.

The compressed heart is struggling to pump heavy, thick, sluggish blood into the tissues - the tortured lungs are making a frantic effort to gasp in small gulps of air. The markedly dehydrated tissues send their flood of stimuli to the brain.... so the person suffers before he finally dies.

So you can understand why I'm so horrified by this Smallvile tradition, right? I can't help but wonder how many times the town had to look the other way, saying "boys will be boys" when their star football players (unintentionally?) kill one of their bullied victims in this manner and they cover it up.

This is actually worse than anything I could have imagined... because this is basically favoring the star football players and tolerating their dangerous, dickish behavior just simply because they play a good game. And what's more, the fathers who used to play football most likely taught the players about this horrible tradition, perpetuating it all over again.

I'm kind of let down that they didn't do more with this topic here.... it was starting to seem like some kind of commentary on how football players tend to be idolized to the extent that people look the other way when the football players do highly illegal ****. It would probably had been too heavy for a first ep to cover that topic fully but having this topic be covered over a few eps would had been great.

But they basically acted like nothing happened after the pilot episode.. so it seemed like that whole set up was for nothing other than to paint Clark Kent as an Jesus-like figure. Which is really disappointing.

But the writers kind of glossed over this and acted like this was nothing.... and that's kind of disturbing in itself.

3. Then there was that whole graveyard bit with Lana Lang. I know the writers were trying to make her out to be this heroine with a tragic background so that we would feel sorry for her and think how wonderful she is. But... all they did was make her seem like she had an mental illness, which she was hiding from people by acting like a otherwise normal girl. Seriously, who goes to the graveyard on a regular basis to have Entire conversations with the dead... and acting like there were a person responding on the other side of it?
    I mean, if you saw somebody talking to a grave like this:
    "Hi, mom how are you?"
    "That's great to hear! yeah I'm fine too..."
    *pauses, and then laughs* "Oh, mom! you always had such a twisted sense of humor!"
    you'd want to have her committed.

Yeah, that was kind of creepy and weird.

although, I do admit, it does catch your attention and the pilot ep was decent otherwise.

I agree with your post. To be honest, I think most of SV episodes are at least as problematic as The Pilot.

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
    1. the fact that Clark was being a total creeper towards Lana Lang with the telescope bit. I do find saintly boys to be boring as hell, but I think there's ways to highlight that Clark is a normal teenager boy without resorting to this creepy behavior
    Agreed. I think if the show came out today instead of 2001, fandom wouldn't be as quick to dismiss Clark's behavior as a cute, harmless quirk (fandom just seems a lot more conscious of such things these days). I don't think he ever spied on her when she was naked or anything, but it was total invasion of privacy nevertheless. I don't think it makes Clark an irredeemable ******* or anything like that, but it did bother me. And in the very next episode we see a villain of the week engaging in the same behavior as the hero - spying on Lana and even recording her on his camera without her knowledge!

So you can understand why I'm so horrified by this Smallvile tradition, right? I can't help but wonder how many times the town had to look the other way, saying "boys will be boys" when their star football players (unintentionally?) kill one of their bullied victims in this manner and they cover it up.
    This honestly horrified me.

This is actually worse than anything I could have imagined... because this is basically favoring the star football players and tolerating their dangerous, dickish behavior just simply because they play a good game. And what's more, the fathers who used to play football most likely taught the players about this horrible tradition, perpetuating it all over again.
    Excellent point. Jonathan Kent was a football star once. Did he ever participate in this disgusting "ritual", I wonder?

I'm kind of let down that they didn't do more with this topic here.... it was starting to seem like some kind of commentary on how football players tend to be idolized to the extent that people look the other way when the football players do highly illegal ****. It would probably had been too heavy for a first ep to cover that topic fully but having this topic be covered over a few eps would had been great.
    I thought it would make Clark change his mind regarding his desire to be 'popular' and 'not a dork'. I didn't think he would ever want to have anything to do with those football jocks. It's not just the scarecrowing. In an early season 4 episode we see another "tradition" that Smallville High football players are fond of: verbal abuse of the person who wearing the costume of the team mascot. We see Clark making a half-hearted attempt to defend the girl, but it never goes anywhere. It kind of boggles my mind that our future Superman wanted to fit in with vicious bullies so much. I wonder if he even realized that if he ever became part of the team, it would be required of him to participate in the scarecrowing of another hapless freshman.

I mean, if you saw somebody talking to a grave like this:
    "Hi, mom how are you?"
    "That's great to hear! yeah I'm fine too..."
    *pauses, and then laughs* "Oh, mom! you always had such a twisted sense of humor!"
    It's kind of hilarious when you see it this way. But I don't actually think she talked to her parents like that when she was alone. I think the conversation we witnesed in The Pilot was more for Clark's benefit. Besides, some people are just prone to talking to themselves (or 'imaginary friends'), and it's not necessarily a sign of mental illness. Mostly just loneliness and vivid imagination (I often 'talked' to my favorite cartoon characters when I was a kid! ).

Far more worrisome is the fact that Lana hangs out at a graveyard at night. This is, indeed, very creepy, as is the fact that she wears on her neck a piece of the thing that killed her parents. I mean, who does that? Her rationale for wearing the meteor necklace was incredibly weak and made no sense.
    Last edited by Jennsen; 05-27-2014, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennsen
      I agree with your post. To be honest, I think most of SV episodes are at least as problematic as The Pilot.

Agreed. I think if the show came out today instead of 2001, fandom wouldn't be as quick to dismiss Clark's behavior as a cute, harmless quirk (fandom just seems a lot more conscious of such things these days). I don't think he ever spied on her when she was naked or anything, but it was total invasion of privacy nevertheless. I don't think it makes Clark an irredeemable ******* or anything like that, but it did bother me. And in the very next episode we see a villain of the week engaging in the same behavior as the hero - spying on Lana and even recording her on his camera without her knowledge!
      I can't help but wonder if this would had made Clark realize his own behavior and that's why they didn't show him doing that again on the TV show. But that would be too much to hope for, isn't it?

Excellent point. Jonathan Kent was a football star once. Did he ever participate in this disgusting "ritual", I wonder?
      I was honestly dispointed when the writers and the directors didn't cover that topic at all, or that they didn't show Clark telling Jonathan about his scarecrow experience, and Jonathan being horrified by this.

They then could had talked about how when you're a teenage boy (or girl), you don't really honestly think about the consequences to your own actions or how dangerous it was. Kinda like with regular bullying.... most teenagers don't wake up one day and say to themselves: "I'm going to be an massive ******* to a certain person today for no good reason at all!!"
      some teenagers who bully seems to think it's just all in good fun. To them it's just teasing people....nothing more. and seems to lack empathy or awareness of how this really affects the people around them. I'm speaking from experience, when I was constantly picked on by seniors while I was a freshman myself. they actually seemed so shocked and upset when I had to take out an restraining order against them.... they actually felt that THEY were being the one who were being bullied in that moment. funny how that works out.

Jonthan could had thought about his own teenage years, and realized that all along he had been simply playing along with the whole "Boys will be boys" mentality, never realizing how dangerous or harmful that could be. Moreso if he heard about Jeremy Creek or any other victims that suffered from it and had to be hospitalized.... this could had served as a nice wake-up call to him. Even if He didn't take part in the scarecrowing... he was still sitting by and letting it happen when he used to be on the football team himself.

It could had been a nice character growth moment for him, espeically if he got other parents to try to stop this "tradition" from happening again.

I thought it would make Clark change his mind regarding his desire to be 'popular' and 'not a dork'. I didn't think he would ever want to have anything to do with those football jocks. It's not just the scarecrowing. In an early season 4 episode we see another "tradition" that Smallville High football players are fond of: verbal abuse of the person who wearing the costume of the team mascot. We see Clark making a half-hearted attempt to defend the girl, but it never goes anywhere. It kind of boggles my mind that our future Superman wanted to fit in with vicious bullies so much. I wonder if he even realized that if he ever became part of the team, it would be required of him to participate in the scarecrowing of another hapless freshman.
      I agree with you... That would had been so nice for Clark realize that on his own.
      but at the same time I can understand why Clark wanted to fit in so much. I mean, he actually developed an serious phobia about people finding out who and what he really were. His parents most likely hammered it into his head when he was growing up, that people were going to take him away and experiment on him. Just like in all of those fake alien autopsy videos you see online. on top of it, from what I remember the TV show did show him having nightmares about the people around him hating him and leaving him once they found him out.

Seriously, it's like he has a serious complex about the whole thing. So as an teenager, he would had done ANYTHING to fit in... unless it would harm another person in the progress.

Far more worrisome is the fact that Lana hangs out at a graveyard at night. This is, indeed, very creepy, as is the fact that she wears on her neck a piece of the thing that killed her parents. I mean, who does that? Her rationale for wearing the meteor necklace was incredibly weak and made no sense.
      Again, agreed. I honestly wished that the TV show would had just came out and said that Lana was a meteor mutant with some mental illness that was caused by the meteor rocks. Only, she was one of the rare meteor mutants that didn't go around killing people and stuff because her brand of meteor illness was a non-violent one. All she ever wanted in life was to not be alone, to be loved and taken care of... so her meteor mutant power would had reflected that. And the reason why she was so obsessed with her parents after most people would have moved on with their lives? It manifested early in her when she was very young, because at the time she wanted parents who would take care of her.

After all, most mutants seem to have something they're deeply obsessed with.
      I honestly think if the writers had been more open and honest about Lana's background like that, then she would actually had been a far more interesting character instead of a deeply annoying one. It would had been fun to see them openly playing around with her Mary Sue powers while at the same time acknowledging that some of it did come off as creepy.

Comment

the comments in the pilot thread made me think of this thread I started... so I'm bumping it up in the hopes for some more discussion here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennsen

But Clark doesn't do that. The guy also enters her room and leaves things there.
          This honestly horrified me.
          I don't think it would kill anybody. But it's awful. Bullies can do awful stuff.

I doubt he did. I don't think it was required. Clark's desire to be football player as I understand it was never about really fitting in per-se.
          I believe Nell gave it to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
            But Clark doesn't do that. The guy also enters her room and leaves things there.
            You see, I despise this kind of logic. What Clark did was wrong. The fact that some other guy pushed the lines of boundaries by breaking and entering doesn't excuse what Clark did.

"But, the other guy did much worse things than Clark did!! Clark Kent is a total saint in comparison." Is not a valid defense to me. All it says is that Clark Kent is the least sketchy guy out of the whole group, but he's still skeevy when it comes to this behavior.

I don't think it would kill anybody. But it's awful. Bullies can do awful stuff.
            Jeremy Creek looked like he had been up there for days, and also looked like he was close to dying. Yeah, pretty sure he was going to die if he didn't go into a coma from the meteor shower.

On top of it, Whitney Fordman was totally content to leave Clark Kent up there ALL NIGHT while he danced with his girlfriend. Had Clark Kent been a normal guy, he would had most likely suffered from severe frostbite or worse because it was set during October, and fall nights in Kansas can be pretty brutal if you're not properly covered up.

The fact that this town was okay with this kind of behavior being a "town tradition", shows us this town had plenty of mental problems long before the meteor shower even came to town.

I believe Nell gave it to her.
            Honestly, I happen to believe that Nell Potter had to be one of the worst caretakers ever in the Smallville universe. She definitely weren't the kind who should take care of a child.

Evidence:
            1) Nell doesn't even think to get Lana Lang some trauma counseling, and instead worsens Lana's obsession with her parents' death by giving her a piece of the meteor rock that killed her parents.

2) Nell is totally okay with Lana Lang going out in the middle of the night every night to visit the graveyard ALONE. She's even okay with Lana Lang going horseback riding without a escort at like 12am, despite the fact that plenty of lethal accidents could easily happen at night while horseback riding.

3) Nell uses Lana Lang's birthdays as a chance to show off more than she uses it to truly celebrate Lana Lang's birthday. Which is why in the episode where Lana Lang had her birthday, Lana made the comment to Clark about how it was really Nell's party than it was hers.

4) Nell was one of the first people to lie to Lana Lang, regarding the topic of Lana's parents. Nell wanted Lana to follow her mother's footsteps exactly, so she invented this entire fictional life where everything was so perfect in Laura Lang's life, etc. Which was nothing like the real Laura Lang's life at all. Lana confronted Nell more than once over this very topic.
            I think this contributed to Lana Lang's issues, where she believes that EVERYONE is ALWAYS lying to her all the time.
            Last edited by Aurora Moon; 07-05-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

You see, I despise this kind of logic. What Clark did was wrong. The fact that some other guy pushed the lines of boundaries by breaking and entering doesn't excuse what Clark did.

"But, the other guy did much worse things than Clark did!! Clark Kent is a total saint in comparison." Is not a valid defense to me. All it says is that Clark Kent is the least sketchy guy out of the whole group, but he's still skeevy when it comes to this behavior.

Jeremy Creek looked like he had been up there for days, and also looked like he was close to dying. Yeah, pretty sure he was going to die if he didn't go into a coma from the meteor shower.

On top of it, Whitney Fordman was totally content to leave Clark Kent up there ALL NIGHT while he danced with his girlfriend. Had Clark Kent been a normal guy, he would had most likely suffered from severe frostbite or worse because it was set during October, and fall nights in Kansas can be pretty brutal if you're not properly covered up.

The fact that this town was okay with this kind of behavior being a "town tradition", shows us this town had plenty of mental problems long before the meteor shower even came to town.

Honestly, I happen to believe that Nell Potter had to be one of the worst caretakers ever in the Smallville universe. She definitely weren't the kind who should take care of a child.

Evidence:
              1) Nell doesn't even think to get Lana Lang some trauma counseling, and instead worsens Lana's obsession with her parents' death by giving her a piece of the meteor rock that killed her parents.

2) Nell is totally okay with Lana Lang going out in the middle of the night every night to visit the graveyard ALONE. She's even okay with Lana Lang going horseback riding without a escort at like 12am, despite the fact that plenty of lethal accidents could easily happen at night while horseback riding.

3) Nell uses Lana Lang's birthdays as a chance to show off more than she uses it to truly celebrate Lana Lang's birthday. Which is why in the episode where Lana Lang had her birthday, Lana made the comment to Clark about how it was really Nell's party than it was hers.

4) Nell was one of the first people to lie to Lana Lang, regarding the topic of Lana's parents. Nell wanted Lana to follow her mother's footsteps exactly, so she invented this entire fictional life where everything was so perfect in Laura Lang's life, etc. Which was nothing like the real Laura Lang's life at all. Lana confronted Nell more than once over this very topic.
              I think this contributed to Lana Lang's issues, where she believes that EVERYONE is ALWAYS lying to her all the time.
              I didn't say Clark wasn't wrong. But the comparison between the two wasn't really correct.

Thinking about it now, I think it's mainly teenage negligence. No one takes the time to think it could kill people.

I read your post about the Nell part.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
                Thinking about it now, I think it's mainly teenage negligence. No one takes the time to think it could kill people.
                Too true. Teenagers can be terrible people, and I should know because I used to be one. What gets me though is how the adults themselves also didn't think it was a big deal at all.

It's like none of them even stopped to think about what they did as teenagers and say: "Huh, now that I think of it, that's really a ****ed up thing to do. Somebody could had died."

And worse, the guys who scarecrowed Jeremy creek were totally unrepentant about it as adults. When Jeremy Creek confronted that one guy in the car garage the dude was like: "It was just a town tradition, man! And it was a long time ago.... get over it!"
                Stuff like that, made me think that the town was a breeding ground for sociopaths.... or at very least a town full of non-empathic people who valued barbaric town traditions over keeping their children safe.

Comment

Too true. Teenagers can be terrible people, and I should know because I used to be one. What gets me though is how the adults themselves also didn't think it was a big deal at all.

It's like none of them even stopped to think about what they did as teenagers and say: "Huh, now that I think of it, that's really a ****ed up thing to do. Somebody could had died."

And worse, the guys who scarecrowed Jeremy creek were totally unrepentant about it as adults. When Jeremy Creek confronted that one guy in the car garage the dude was like: "It was just a town tradition, man! And it was a long time ago.... get over it!"
                  Stuff like that, made me think that the town was a breeding ground for sociopaths.... or at very least a town full of non-empathic people who valued barbaric town traditions over keeping their children safe.
                  I don't believe he said that. I think he said: "That was 12 years ago, man." He might've thrown in a "We were just kids" or something like that.

I just watched it. He says, "It was just a game." The guy also appears to have no idea that anything even happened to him.

I think it might be meant show that the bully didn't really grow up that much.

Comment

Yeah, which is why I didn't feel anything when the town bullies died at Jeremy creek's hands. I honestly felt that they kind of deserved that. If Jeremy Creek had just stopped there instead of targeting everyone at the prom, I'm sure everyone would had seem him as a highly sympathetic figure.
                    But it does make you wonder who's teaching the kids how to carry on this town tradition. After all, if there are adults who's endorsing this, then the teenagers would certainly feel like there's nothing wrong with this. which leads to the teenagers as adults years later who still thinks that they didn't do anything wrong. And the cycle continues.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎