Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Unthinkable?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a finale goes I gave it a 9. But since I won't be watching season 3, I have a few comments or predictions to make.
    Thea will be back with Malcom and both will be villians. That should be fun for Ollie and Roy.
    Diddle gonna be a Daddy? Maybe tptb will write him out of the series. He doesn't have much to do now anyway.
    Slade will escape the island and be back to haunt Ollie.
    Laurel knows who Ollie is and is on his side but that will change maybe b/c of what happens to her Father.
    The flashbacks of season 3 will be of Ollie and Waller with Ollie learning to fly a plane. And by the end of season 3, Ollie will somehow be back stranded on the island. He was found after 5 years on the island.

Comment

Maybe tptb will write him out of the series. He doesn't have much to do now anyway.
      Man, I hope we'll still get to see Dig a lot; after all he's still the main man in the team (excluding Arrow, naturally).

The flashbacks of season 3 will be of Ollie and Waller with Ollie learning to fly a plane.
      The episode has contoured an outline of this, yes. I suppose he's going to get through a lot of intensive training: flying planes, speaking Chinese, probably also martial arts and possibly some basic tech stuff. I think it's quite possible that the island may be used as a training ground?

PS: Is there something wrong with this forum software? I sometimes don't get to see my messages posted unless I do it more than once. I hope I'm not spamming and making mods' life hard.

Comment

As much as I liked the episode, I still had a couple of problems with it.

Starting with Oliver's sudden reluctance to get his hands bloody. Most of Slade's soildiers were hardened criminals, dangerous even without the Mirakunin (sp?). To risk even one of them pulling off a jailbreak and killing again...

Then there's Slade. Now that Oliver's corporation and nightclub business are now in other people's hands, where will he get the resources to feed and keep his prisoner alive? And let's face it, we all know Slade will somehow escape and come after Oliver again. Finally, leaving Slade with the ghost of Shadow (figuratively speaking) whispering in his ear for the rest of his days? Some people might argue it would be more merciful to put an arrow through his heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodwynd
          As much as I liked the episode, I still had a couple of problems with it.

Starting with Oliver's sudden reluctance to get his hands bloody. Most of Slade's soildiers were hardened criminals, dangerous even without the Mirakunin (sp?). To risk even one of them pulling off a jailbreak and killing again...

Then there's Slade. Now that Oliver's corporation and nightclub business are now in other people's hands, where will he get the resources to feed and keep his prisoner alive? And let's face it, we all know Slade will somehow escape and come after Oliver again. Finally, leaving Slade with the ghost of Shadow (figuratively speaking) whispering in his ear for the rest of his days? Some people might argue it would be more merciful to put an arrow through his heart.
          On the final issues: Slade isn't Oliver's prisoner; ARGUS is the ones running his prison. Yes, Slade will likely escape, but that's just how things roll. Finally, Slade only had the Ghost of Shado whispering to him with the Mirakuru running in his veins. Now he has only his hatred of Oliver, and that's enough.

As for Oliver's 'no killing' issue: first, Oliver has been seeking to not kill anymore as a way of honoring Tommy. This is another play on the whole 'Merlyn as a mentor' thing like last Season. In the Season 1 finale, he told Malcolm, "Thank you for teaching me what I'm fighting for.... but my father taught me how." With this season, the idea of what Tommy would want Oliver to become helped teach him to push past the desire to put an arrow through a person's heart, but he faltered with the likes of the Count, and came close to killing Slade despite his desire not to kill anymore. But as he said to Slade in their final scene together, "You taught me to be a killer when I needed to be.... but this past year I needed to be something more." After a little bit.... "You taught me to be a hero, Slade. Thank you."

Comment

Wow, what an amazing finale. The perfect end to the season. One of the best seasons I've ever seen. I'm glad they stayed way from certain themes. Also confirmed something many of us had believed, that Oliver didn't spend the entire 5 years on the Island. Also, count me as one that thinks Oliver and Felicity will be the show's "endgame". Can't wait for S3!

Comment

Pff, I can't wait for S4 already.

Comment

While the fight scenes (the tunnel and the sinkin' ship especially) deserve praise I just have to give this one a one. It builds up so much over the few past episodes so it has inherent problems.

So Slade's men come in and Roy just happens to wake up just in time for us to notice his powers are gone and then team Arrow make their escape just in time for the building to be blown up by Lyla. Couldn't have gone better if they had planned it. Unbelievably contrived writing. First scene in the episode and I'm already pulled out of it.

Aside from some heavy plot armor they should have let Roy-d Rage just go berserk on Slade's men, he was their powerhouse against their powerhouses. Defending a narrow trap door should have been manageable. Lyla should have come there because Diggle called her, they could have still played the scene a surprise twist for the viewers. Also, Lyla's chopper bazooka tactic is what I would have done in Waller's place. Her whole plan of bombing the city gets just crazier and crazier.

In the scene where Diggle, Lyla and the Suicide Squad confront Waller and they all point guns at each other (despite Waller being clearly on the losing side) it's ludicrous that she talks about Diggle becoming a father when a drone is about to destroy an entire city.

Nyssa taking out Isabel felt anticlimatic, came out of nowhere and overall just felt flat. That's it? Also, everyone expects Oliver to do the same thing for Slade when they have the antidote? Forced drama strikes again!

And speaking of forced drama, Thea abandons Roy because...? Couldn't Roy say that Arrow saved him and has been training him. Roy'd admit he has a bow and arrow and he needs to do this one last thing TO SAVE THE CITY, and then he'd leave with Thea. Both Roy and Thea are idiots and her reason for leaving is once again so contrived. Both Thea and Sara should have stayed, this was character assassination at it's finest!

So wait, Slade saw Oliver and Felicity in the mansion and based on the security camera feed Slade even SAW Oliver handing Felicity the cure!! Wasn't Felicity searched when she was taken?! For all the planning and scheming Slade forgot to strip his enemy of weapons?! Give me a break!

Slade losing to Felicity/falling debris made the result so damn contrived. Oliver was basically useless in the episode. Every major decision was made for him by someone else.

Also, Laurel kidnapping #172 just so the hero can save her later. And honestly, Oliver sending Felicity away just came off so dumb after Oliver sent Thea and Sara to be captured by Slade...even if this time he had a plan, that plan's execution felt cheap and unearned much like a lot of the things that happen on the show.

The epilogue to this episode is a mess. We don't see what happens to cop Lance but we see in full detail what happens to Slade. A prison without guards...that bodes well. And suddenly island Oliver becomes Hong Kong Oliver, out of the blue, out of nowhere. Goodbye island, apparently we weren't supposed to care when our main protagonist leaves your shores! They should have left this in Season 4's premiere. Now they are just wasting potential storylines by just outright skipping them.

Gave this a 1.
                Last edited by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow; 08-14-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Ok where do I start first. I loved this entire episode despite I think a few brief flaws. (I'm not going to cover every single detail of what I enjoyed about this episode)

The clock tower was a good way to open the season finale. The fight scenes where handled very well. The two that I enjoyed the most was the tunnel fight and the main end fight between Slade and Oliver. I enjoyed when Diggle with the help of Lyla broke into A.R.G.U.S. headquarters. It was good seeing Deadshot again. Roy getting off the Mirakuru with getting a mask was a long time coming and a nice moment. With Thea for the first time in what seams like forever I enjoyed watching her. Leaving with her father will be very interesting and a much need character development. The whole Oliver and Felicity at the mansion shocked me because I did not see that coming and then I was shocked all over again when it was shown to be a part of the trap for Slade. Also the Oliver waking up in Hong Kong surprised me and also answered a few questions. Namely how the writers can keep the flashbacks from becoming boring and stale.

Now on to the few brief and small things I didn't like. The whole Oliver not wanting to kill Slade with almost everyone wanting him dead and Oliver flip flopping. I think it may have perhaps would have worked better if Oliver wanted Slade dead until the very last seconds of the roof top fight when he decides to let Deathstroke live. The reasons being to prove to Slade that he is not him and also tying into their discussion about Shado's memory. By not killing Slade it would prove to at least Oliver himself that he is in fact honoring Yao Fei and Shado's memory by wearing the hood.

Now I'm putting aside Slade hates Oliver because he thinks Oliver is responsible for Shado's death because that is for a whole different discussion. Also the only other thing I disliked was how lacking the present day fight between Oliver and Slade was. How they could have fixed that was have them both fighting in unarmed combat. We have seen how both Oliver and Slade are fighting in hand to hand combat. Having the both of them at the peaks and fighting in a killed or be killed unarmed fight would have amazing to watch. Because it would have been a extremely fast paced , brutal and deadly fight.

Over all I give this episode with out a doubt a 10.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                    While the fight scenes (the tunnel and the sinkin' ship especially) deserve praise I just have to give this one a one. It builds up so much over the few past episodes so it has inherent problems.

So Slade's men come in and Roy just happens to wake up just in time for us to notice his powers are gone and then team Arrow make their escape just in time for the building to be blown up by Lyla. Couldn't have gone better if they had planned it. Unbelievably contrived writing. First scene in the episode and I'm already pulled out of it.
                    I'm pretty sure that Diggle had tried to contact Lyla so rather than contrived, it's just really well timed. Plus it makes sense to follow the horde of super soldiers headed for the same place.

Aside from some heavy plot armor they should have let Roy-d Rage just go berserk on Slade's men, he was their powerhouse against their powerhouses. Defending a narrow trap door should have been manageable. Lyla should have come there because Diggle called her, they could have still played the scene a surprise twist for the viewers. Also, Lyla's chopper bazooka tactic is what I would have done in Waller's place. Her whole plan of bombing the city gets just crazier and crazier.
                    Agreed about Waller's plan. It was nutso...but this is also the woman that planned on blowing the whole house party up to destroy the green stuff but then complained when a bomb went off in a road without killing hundreds that THAT was what drew too much attention. Pretty sure she IS nuts.

As for Roy, they had to use him to see if the antidote actually worked or when they tried to use it against the army they would be going in blind AND it's not like berserk Roy could be directed so he would only end up being another problem later on if they hadn't used the cure.

In the scene where Diggle, Lyla and the Suicide Squad confront Waller and they all point guns at each other (despite Waller being clearly on the losing side) it's ludicrous that she talks about Diggle becoming a father when a drone is about to destroy an entire city.
                    See Waller is CRAZY.

Nyssa taking out Isabel felt anticlimatic, came out of nowhere and overall just felt flat. That's it? Also, everyone expects Oliver to do the same thing for Slade when they have the antidote? Forced drama strikes again!
                    I thought most of the group calling out for blood nicely showed the heightened emotions and the whole problem of Slade was that he didn't have any exposed skin where they COULD use the antidote.

And speaking of forced drama, Thea abandons Roy because...? Couldn't Roy say that Arrow saved him and has been training him. Roy'd admit he has a bow and arrow and he needs to do this one last thing TO SAVE THE CITY, and then he'd leave with Thea. Both Roy and Thea are idiots and her reason for leaving is once again so contrived. Both Thea and Sara should have stayed, this was character assassination at it's finest!
                    Drama, but with the ups and downs Thea and Roy had gone through (and they are both barely out of their teens) it didn't feel unnatural for Thea when she discovered that Roy was lying to just take off and not give him a chance to come up with another lie. He should have come clean and taken his chances, but he probably thought he was protecting Thea. Idiots, but believable IMO.

The Sara thing worked right up until the moment that she HAPPILY left with Nyssa. It should have been the biggest tragedy on the show, the huge price Sara paid to save the city. The ending was a travesty for Sara.

So wait, Slade saw Oliver and Felicity in the mansion and based on the security camera feed Slade even SAW Oliver handing Felicity the cure!! Wasn't Felicity searched when she was taken?! For all the planning and scheming Slade forgot to strip his enemy of weapons?! Give me a break!
                    Oliver covertly gave Felicity the syringe, folding it into her hand in the dark so the cameras would not have seen it. Felicity not being searched is a stretch. All I could come up with is that she had the thing hid in such a way that the round lump wouldn't have seemed threatening when she was patted down. Either that or they were so sure she wasn't a threat, they didn't bother. After all, Slade did his homework. He'd know she had no fighting ability.

Slade losing to Felicity/falling debris made the result so damn contrived. Oliver was basically useless in the episode. Every major decision was made for him by someone else.
                    Oliver is never what I'd call a great thinker but he is the one that called the shots, trying to cure not kill, he's the one that focused on the escaped prisoners rather than let himself be distracted. He sent Dig and Lyla to do what they could. He also took Felicity's rally and came up with his own answers so I think he made plenty key decisions.

Also, Laurel kidnapping #172 just so the hero can save her later. And honestly, Oliver sending Felicity away just came off so dumb after Oliver sent Thea and Sara to be captured by Slade...even if this time he had a plan, that plan's execution felt cheap and unearned much like a lot of the things that happen on the show.
                    He was an idiot to let Thea wonder around unguarded the first time but he thought she was safe during the final fight. He basically sent Thea away somewhere safe when he encouraged her to leave town so pretending to send the woman he loves somewhere safe doesn't seem so odd even if the plan was incredibly flimsy, but that's part of what made it unthinkable.

The epilogue to this episode is a mess. We don't see what happens to cop Lance but we see in full detail what happens to Slade. A prison without guards...that bodes well. And suddenly island Oliver becomes Hong Kong Oliver, out of the blue, out of nowhere. Goodbye island, apparently we weren't supposed to care when our main protagonist leaves your shores! They should have left this in Season 4's premiere. Now they are just wasting potential storylines by just outright skipping them.
                    I think Quentin's collapse was oddly timed but I guess they wanted to save it for the 2.5 season they have planned in the comic spin off. As for the Oliver reveal in Hong Kong, I'm sure they will do a flash back to explain what happened there, so that's just a mild cliff hanger.
                    Last edited by BkWurm1; 08-19-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I don't see Sara handing Laurel her coat as anything more than a POSSIBLE transition from Sara to Laurel as Black Canary seeing that Sara is already Canary. I'm happy to see Roy getting cured of the mirakuru, although a powerhouse hero would fit well in a superhero series, Arrow just isn't SUPERhero. Thea shows enough sense for doing what's right that, even though she goes with Malcom, I doubt she's going to be anything more than a minor advisary for Oliver, not a future villian for Arrow. Diggle's going to become a father, so is he joining ARGUS or is Harbringer moving into the Arrowcave and who's going to raise the kid? Sara's ward Syn, she already knows Sara's and Roy's secrets so when is she finding out about Oliver and moving into the Arrowcave? I did find the timing of Quentin's collapse a bit out of place, after everyone cleans up and changes clothes we have a big farewell and then while Laurel and Quentin are all by themselves he collapses because of injuries he got before Laurel was kidnapped by Deathstroke? Enough open questions for next season but what I think will be the most interesting question is Oliver's loss of Queen Consolidated, Verdant and Queen Manor.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎