No announcement yet.

Howdy from New York State

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from New York State

I'm probably older (60) than most of you Arrow fans. I was a comic addict from the late 1950s through 1971 when I graduated high school and went to college. At that point, my comic book reading ceased. I can remember that my mother used to bribe me to get a haircut by giving me 10 or 20 cents because I hated to go to the barber. After I suffered through the agony of getting a crew cut and getting wiped down with witch hazel and slapped with a towel with 10 pounds of talcum powder, I ran up to the 5 & 10 store (I don't think these stores exist anymore) to buy Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and all the other superheroes of that era. At some point, the cost of comics went from 10 cents to 12 cents, so I had to hunt around the house for lost change. And every so often you could buy a big edition for 25 cents.

At that time, comic books were not only an escape from reality but they also helped teach me to read. Every so often there would be a "big" word that I didn't know and had to look up in the dictionary. And almost every story had a moral, but I think over time I lost all my morals, especially during my disco phase...hehe

I collected boxes & boxes of comic books over the years...lots of first editions. When I went to college, I gave them all to my cousin. I had no clue that some day they might be worth lots of money. Unfortunately, my cousin threw them all out.

Sometime in the 1980s I looked at a few of my nephew's comic books. Unbelievable. They looked nothing like what I remembered. Only a few pictures on each page and very little dialog. They made no sense to me. The superheroes I once knew looked totally different. And I had no clue who the new ones were.

What I'm trying to say is that even now, at 60 years old, I still have a fascination for superheroes. I remember Green Arrow when I was a kid, but he wasn't a major player back then. I think there was another archer named The Hawk (did he have wings?). I'm new to this forum and I've been reading posts about how Arrow doesn't stay true to the current comic book. I don't care because this Arrow is new & fresh to me, so whatever he does is AOK in my mind. I think it's one of the best shows in a very long time. Television has gotten so boring and stupid over the years. I like Arrow even more than when I was hooked on Dynasty, waiting for Crystal & Alexis Carrington to get in yet another cat fight.

What pushed me over the brink to find this forum was the last episode I saw. I still cannot believe that Slade Wilson killed Moira Queen. It is the best episode I have seen over its 2-year run. I searched the internet to find out if she is really dead and glad I found this forum. Hey...maybe I'm the oldest member here?

Well howdy right back at ya. Yes indeed you are ancient but age is a mere number. It's not how old you feel but who you're feeling that matters. Er.. that sound wrong on all levels. Hi anyway!

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎