Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Seeing Red?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a powerful and gripping episode. They are setting the stage for an amazing season finale.

Slade essentially said what he was going to do weeks ago: he was going to take everything Ollie holds dear before he kills him. And forcing Ollie into a situation that mirrors his live-or-die choice with Sara and Shado is something Slade's warped mind would see as justifiable. The question we've all been asking is which member of Ollie's inner circle would be expected to pay the ultimate price.

How Moira exited made her death more "meaningful" (defiantly on her feet, instead of begging for her life) in the larger context of Ollie's journey on the show. She was prepared to sacrifice everything -- her scruples, the Queen reputation and now, her life -- to protect her children, with the flashback reinforcing this. Moira has been my primary candidate for making this sacrifice since Slade showed up in the Queen mansion. Back then was the time Ollie should have come clean to his family about the risk re: Slade.

What was surprising was how rapidly things went very bad for Ollie. One moment he's having a family moment with his family, the next he's begging for their lives.

[What Slade doesn't know is that telling Laurel about The Secret will likely backfire on him.]

Between the Roy drama and the secrets and lies from her own family, Thea has been traumatized to the limit. With Moira's death, I can't see how Ollie will mend his relationship with her. Too many lost opportunities to come clean with her. I'm guessing Ollie somehow saving Roy from Slade's fate will play some part in fixing it, but I can't see this moment arriving (believably) until well into S3. And we can't forget that Thea is now one of the few people in Ollie's inner circle who do not know the Arrow's identity. If/when she learns of this, it's yet another secret he kept from her. (Quentin must know, I cannot accept that he doesn't at this point.) It's going to take more than a party at the Verdant to rebuild trust between Ollie and Thea.

If there was a weak spot in the ep., it was Sara's rushed exit. I'm guessing the writers want to keep their creative gunpowder dry and have a reason (League of Assassins story, etc.) for pulling out Sara at this critical point. It could also be as simple as just wanting to keep Sara far away from the orbit of Slade's reckoning with Queen and family. On the surface, it makes sense that she would pull away because of the "kill / don't kill" dilemma. But this is not a new revelation -- Ollie knows that Sara's time with the League would have skewered her moral compass.

It would have been easier to accept as a viewer if there were previous, recent moments when Ollie was having doubts about Sara/Canary out in the field, maybe over a few ep. eg. "Hey, Diggle, I'm worried about Sara. She almost killed that henchman last night," etc. Until this ep., Ollie hasn't been seen second-guessing Sara's reliability in the field lately (I'm pretty sure he did when Sara first arrived in Starling City). Having mirakuru'd Roy go ballistic was just the avenue they used to quickly break up or at least press the pause button on Ollie/Sara.

Ollie feels a responsibility to protect Roy from going down the road Slade is on, but his track record as a "wise mentor" isn't that great. Keeping Roy in a medicated/League venom coma is a stop-gap solution, with risks that we've already seen in this ep. In hindsight, keeping Roy at the Arrow den while the cure is in development wasn't the wisest Team Arrow decision.

Comment

There have only been a few deaths on a television show that has really shocked me and I did not expect to see Moira dying at all, because even with Moira telling Oliver that she's been aware all this time, it didn't feel like a cliche moment right before the character's death, so kudos to everyone on the series that hid this secret so well until the very end. And what a great death it was, because it also felt like an honorable one via a sword and not a bullet to the head.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
        PS 1: Moira knowing the secret since last year I can live with. But if she knew, so should Detective Lance. Ugh.
        After "The Man Under the Hood", I don't think one should blame Detective Lance simply because he stopped caring about the person who was underneath the hood. Oliver showed Lance back in season one that he wasn't the vigilante and over time, Lance stopped caring who The Arrow actually was, so I don't think we should talk about how Lance should know by now because he's now in the same position as James Gordon for decades in the comics of just not caring and that the only thing that matters is the good that The Arrow is doing to Starling City.

Comment

Originally posted by markom97
          ... and Laurel will not die becuyase the producers of Arrow have clearly stated about 100 times in multiple interviews that Oliver will end up being with Laurel just like in the comics and that Laurel will become Black Canary and Laurel is important to the show...
          I've never read any mention of Laurel becoming the Canary from anyone on the production team. Only speculation from the DC universe who want the names to match up with the comics. Can someone point to a definitive source on this issue?

Comment

Each episode gets better and better. I think the writing team is doing a great job at keeping the viewers on the edge of their seats. I think Arrow and Vikings are the best two shows currently on TV!

Comment

Originally posted by Fletching
              I've never read any mention of Laurel becoming the Canary from anyone on the production team. Only speculation from the DC universe who want the names to match up with the comics. Can someone point to a definitive source on this issue?
              Just every interview that Kreisberg and Guggenheim have given, particularly their answers about Laurel. Google is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Anno_Domini
                After "The Man Under the Hood", I don't think one should blame Detective Lance simply because he stopped caring about the person who was underneath the hood. Oliver showed Lance back in season one that he wasn't the vigilante and over time, Lance stopped caring who The Arrow actually was, so I don't think we should talk about how Lance should know by now because he's now in the same position as James Gordon for decades in the comics of just not caring and that the only thing that matters is the good that The Arrow is doing to Starling City.
                Not caring is one thing. But it's something that has been staring him in the face at times and imo he should have pieced it together by now. Moira did, even after she saw Oliver and Arrow in the same room at the same time (at Darkness on the edge of town).

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                  Not caring is one thing. But it's something that has been staring him in the face at times and imo he should have pieced it together by now. Moira did, even after she saw Oliver and Arrow in the same room at the same time (at Darkness on the edge of town).
                  It may be staring him in the face but at some point he consciously decided to look away. We can imagine that somewhere in the back of his mind he probably knows but like Gordon he chooses to ignore it. TPTB were a bit late in establishing this but hey, it's better than nothing!

Comment

Big Ol' 10!

That is just for the Slade, Moira, Thea & Ollie stuff.

Comment

I'm so disapointed with Moira's death. She was so important to the show. Her character had so many different facets and the acress was so subtle portraying her. We never knew if she would be threatening, manipulative or sympathetic. I expected more intercation with felicity in the future. Now the show is too dark and I don't see where they can insert the little dose of humour I liked in the show.

We were all expected Slade would make Oliver choose between Laurel and Sara or Sara and Felicity, so this is a surprise. But this plot is less powerful that the one we imagined because there is no choice, we all knew from the start Moira would make the sacrifice.

Sara leaving was too expected and why now ?

I'm happy Sin was in the episode, I was afraid they forgot the character.

So the kid would be 7 now ? younger ?

Over all, I'm sad and disapointed by this episode and the dramatic turn of the show.

Comment

The child would be either 7 at the most. But I'm guessing the child would be 6 years old currently.

Comment

Don't you think it's weird, when Moira tells Oliver she knows, not to apologise for shooting him in saeson 1. At least one of them should have talked about it.

Comment

Seeing stupid is right, this was such a bad episode all around. Thea still thinks secrets and lies (These words and concepts should be banned from The CW) is worse than kidnapping. Moira knows about Oliver's secret out of the blue, Oliver has a kid in out of the blue flashbacks which were pointless before seeing the end and sort of random afterwards. Sara leaves the others to deal with Slade out of the blue. She cares too much about Oliver to be with him...beyond stupid. Slade attacks at the end out of the blue, at least in the context of the episode where he was largely forgotten. Oh, so Oliver put Diggle to guard Thea because of Roy, not because she was kidnapped not too long ago by Slade...gotcha.

Moira had at least one more season in her with being a mayor and knowing Oliver's secret. The running for mayor part seems like a giant waste of time now, there was no payoff.

The Nolan counter just hit over 9000 with Oliver seeing a doctor and talking about a leg brace...a scene which went absolutely nowhere. So a leg brace won't do any good but a dose from a syringe helps. Pointless Laurel scene counter must be over 9000 too. Oh hi Sebastian Blood, I had forgotten about you again.

The bit with Slade is just not enough to redeem a pointless episode about Royd Rage.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎