"Turn, Turn, Turn" Ratings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Turn, Turn, Turn" Ratings

Okay, this one I don't get.

The big episode where the show finally was to get its act together - hyped by a fantastic movie this weekend - got only 4.91 million viewers and a 1.7/6 in the ratings.

A series low.

There are factors that could be considered (the episode leaked early on Hulu, but I think was removed quickly) - but... ouch.

It's no wonder they're re-airing "Turn, Turn, Turn" at 8 next week with the new episode airing at 9. At least at 9, there'd be no worrying about NCIS original recipe. And if it does well, they could think about a 9:00 slot for Season 2.

But I'm really, really surprised. I saw all the positive tweets from the East Coast, and everyone at the event I was at yesterday wanted to rush home to watch SHIELD - something I hadn't seen people doing since September 24. Maybe shuffling feet for so long hurt the show, ultimately. ABC can't be happy.

Yeah, I heard a lot of positive buzz, online, from the Hulu leak. I think some of the blame falls on the U.S. rating system. Last I checked, they don't count online viewers, not everyone has one of those boxes and you're only given one (which, I'm guessing only record the viewing on one TV (a modern day household tend to have multiple TV:s)). Meaning, there's a big blind figure out there.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Could it be that the Winter Soldier tie-in is actually doing more harm than good? Some might not have seen the movie yet and will stay away, from the show, fearing it'll give away the plot.

Comment

Final ratings gets it up to 5.37 million and a 1.9 share.

Comment

I avoided it until I had seen and digested Cap 2. So, they didn't get my view until this morning online.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            Could it be that the Winter Soldier tie-in is actually doing more harm than good? Some might not have seen the movie yet and will stay away, from the show, fearing it'll give away the plot.
            I figured this was a big part of it. I won't be seeing the movie for some time (not until it's out on DVD) so I went ahead and spoiled myself so I wouldn't, well, get spoiled by SHIELD. But some people might not want to do that and so are waiting to watch this episode until after seeing the movie--as Backward Galaxy did. I know Marvel thinks that all the fans rush right out to watch the new MCU movies as soon as they come out but not all can or do.

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
              I figured this was a big part of it. I won't be seeing the movie for some time (not until it's out on DVD) so I went ahead and spoiled myself so I wouldn't, well, get spoiled by SHIELD. But some people might not want to do that and so are waiting to watch this episode until after seeing the movie--as Backward Galaxy did. I know Marvel thinks that all the fans rush right out to watch the new MCU movies as soon as they come out but not all can or do.
              Yeah, I've usually waited for the DVD/Blu-Ray for these movies. A big motivator for me, to go and see Winter Soldier, was really that I recently moved and wanted to see the inside of this new movie theater. Had I not moved, I would've waited.

Hopefully, future movie tie-ins won't be as involved in the film plots (not that this was the show's fault).

Comment

I always wait for these movies to appear on Premium channels though for some reason I missed the Avengers I haven't seen it on any Premium channels and it is never on On Demand. So I guess I would have to purchase it on DVD or Blu-ray to actually watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                  Hopefully, future movie tie-ins won't be as involved in the film plots (not that this was the show's fault).
                  Agreed. I understand wanting to keep it all cohesive (that's been a great thing about the MCU, they really are all interconnected). But it does make it difficult if you can't see some part of the story (or even right away--I know this episode is rerunning tonight, for those who waited to see Cap 2, they say).

SHIELD's been pretty good about letting you know what happened in the 'other part' of the universe but still it does make one feel a bit left out if you haven't. At least, it does me.

But with such a big plot point I understand why they had to deal with it (and in such a timely manner). Still, I do think it might have hurt them, ratings wise.

I've seen comments from several people who said (elsewhere) that they weren't that into the first Cap movie so they didn't see it until everyone started praising it, then they went this past weekend. Perhaps SHIELD should have waited a week for this 'game changer' episode?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎