1 2.63%

0 0%
  • 1 - Fail

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Promise?"

How did you like it?

I am mind-blown!!!!! This episode definately changed Arrow as a series. Can't wait to see character interactions between Oliver/Sara and the other people that escaped the ship.

This show gets better and better. Like, its never slowing down or misses a beat.

Laurel-lite/less episodes are always automatically great (no offense to those who are a fan of hers).

Phenomenal. Epic. Completely awe-inspiring that the same people who gave us Green Lantern created such an amazing comic book television series that packs a punch with every new episode.

I'm glad to see Roy training as well as helping out since I'm still peeved that his fight against Nyssa was taken out and I'm glad they all tried to help out Ollie, but Oliver is still screwed…especially now that Slade knows every single person that helps out Ollie as well as having cameras in the mansion(and that scene of Slade's missing eye….freaking creepy). Also, who is the guy that knocked Diggle out?

And those flashbacks….I did not expect everyone to be living after the episode and I thought Ollie would end up being on the island all by himself by episode's end, so the flashbacks were surprising. And who is Thomas Flynn exactly? My first thought was Vigilante(who once went under a name Joe Flynn), but that's about it. There obviously had to be something special about the guy to be featured so prominently. Maybe Arrow's version of Hush too since we saw Flynn holding up a shard piece of a glass that showed his own face before being shot at?

Settling In
    great episode! Lots of island story progress which I am happy with, the island stuff has been getting just as interesting as the present day stuff. The Roy and Slade handshake was interesting .

I like how everyone had Olivers back, good team building there.

As for the person that knocked Dig out [SPOILER]the girl I should say because from the black leather it looks like the huntress is back and on slades side[/SPOILER] should make things interesting as Slade has a team of his own.

I am interested to see how Oliver's Russian friend and the others escaped the island, as Oliver was the only one on it when he was rescued.

WHY IS THERE A WEEK BREAK!!!

Also, does anyone else think that that pastor with the mouse is going to play a more significant role? The way they presented him and filmed him made it seem like he plays a bigger part later on.

Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post

Laurel-lite/less episodes are always automatically great

Agreed!

Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
    Also, who is the guy that knocked Diggle out?
    I have my suspicions it wasn't a guy (see my spoiler text reply above)

From the press release for the episode she appears in, though, it says Huntress returns because of her father. Why would she return earlier?

Fantastic episode! Action packed, advanced the present day plot well, focused on the island a lot and no Laurel/less Felicity meant less drama. I was actually a bit disappointed we didn't see more scenes from that 3 minutes trailer they released on Tuesday. I knew they'd spoil us with that one.

Among the things I liked: A last bit of bromance between Oliver and Slade in the island, Island Ollie training, team Arrow working together to save Ollie, Slade's smooth villainous side, shocks like Ivo's hand getting cut off and all the action scenes. To be honest, I also liked Moira standing up to Oliver. Because while he accused her of turning him into a liar in Heir to the Demon, it's his lies that are coming back to bite him here. Finally, I liked the raw image of watching Slade without his patch. Didn't think they would go there.

Of course this leaves us now with more questions. What does Slade have in mind for the Queens and team Arrow? How will all these people leave the island? Looks like that place gets more crowded season after season. We know Anatoli survives, but how is the question. The freighter will get sunk at some point. I'm also wondering how Slade got to become rich, but I doubt the show will explain that...

8.5 out of 10
    Last edited by costas22; 03-06-2014 at 03:01 AM.

New In Town
    After feeling like Oliver was a condescending jerk last week it was good to see him unsettled. The 'dance' between Moria, Slade and Oliver in present day was beautifully nuanced by their respective actors and all of them had what I consider to be very honest reactions to the conversation happening around them.

I liked that Thea had something to do in the episode along with Roy. Was also happy to see Shado even if she was just a dream.

I love it when Arrow focuses on one/two plots in an episode and although there are still a ton of questions I have I am glad there weren't any shock and awe twists in this and that we just got back to story. I gave it 8.5 rounded up to 9

New In Town

Thumbs up

I loved this whole episode. Every scene in the mansion had me on me toes because I was expecting something to happen. And the ship battle was incredible! It was also really rewarding seeing Oliver go in battle for the first time with a bow and the hood. Also, props to the director for having his hood fall back multiple times, but I still want to know how he keeps it on in modern day...

I also really liked seeing Sara and Oliver together in this episode. Like the scene when Sara comes down the stairs to stand by Ollie, Slade's face was priceless. It was like he hated her, and felt hurt by her, because he knew that Oliver chose her over Shado. I know a lot of people don't like Sara, which I am sure is because everyone wants Oliver to be with Felicity, but Sara is actually better then people realize. You have to look at her how people look at Oliver: Damaged and distant from the people around them. I also want to point out that I am glad Felicity didn't really have a presence in this episode. As much as I like Felicity, without her being there made the whole episode a lot more intense and dark.

I also want to give props to Stephen Amell for this episode. His acting was BRILLIANT! Seeing Oliver training on the island, and getting to see more of the island was incredible. That was my second third favorite scene.

My second favorite was when Oliver, Sara and Roy are surrounded Slade, and Oliver asks him "What now, Mr. Wilson?" Again, Slade's face is priceless.
    My favorite, was the ship battle. It was so cool seeing Oliver do what he did, even though he isn't nearly as skilled as he is now. And Slade was down right scary.

I give this episode a 10/10.

P.S. The clip they released for the episode, the scene where Oliver calls Felicity, and Sara has that "Slade is going to kill Oliver" moment was actually fine acting when its in context with the episode. I don't like how they zoomed in on her face though, I think a sideways pan would have made it less cheesy looking.
    Last edited by Tmwayward; 03-06-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Not as awesome as everyone think. There are just confirmations about we all suspected and nothing came aboard, and that's a shame. Like Oliver's 2 steps back evolution and poor Sara storyline, Slade motivation for revenge over Oliver is very slim, just like turning him as the big bad guy just like this.

But, Manu Bennett Rules Arrow again. I loved his face when he saw Sara coming to Queen mansion. And trying to kill him is a lost cause, he's at billion miles ahead from Team Arrow and there'll be casualties on team Arrow (you can count on Sara Lance being one of them: he never trusted her and his sight towards her proves that she's his next target, just like Diggle) even with Malcolm and Suicide Squad help. Loved the tension in Queen's mansion.

And relieved that Oliver find out about Solomon Grundy, he's close to find out that Laurel (missed her so much in that episode) was right about Blood.

Have we learnt something new ? Not really.

Posting Pro
    I gather from the episode reviews that the majority of the forum members loved "The Promise". Although I thought it was an exciting, action-packed and suspenseful episode, my first impression at least was not very enthusiastic. So, if anyone thinks I'm being too harsh, please remember that this is just one opinion/review among many, and that a second viewing may find me more positively predisposed.

Watching “The Promise” I felt that “Arrow” has reached new levels of melodrama, especially in the present-day storyline. Oliver was so tense throughout the scenes at the Casa Queen that I bet Stephen’s jaw must have hurt when he was done filming! The somewhat too intense acting and the ominous background music was a real throwback to the prime time soaps of the 80’s and 90’s. When I watched the Slade/Oliver/Moira scenes I had flashbacks to JR’s evil grin and Alexis Carrington’s histrionics….Now I’m just expecting to see an epic catfight between Sara and Laurel in the upcoming episodes. The blond sister against the dark-haired sister, just like the classic Krystle/Alexis catfights on “Dynasty”!

Sara is da Boss! She takes charge of everything! This was very much Sara's episode, especially on the Island, where she again showed the medical skills she acquired working alongside Dr. Ivo. She also took charge of the Arrowcave gang, organizing the attack on Slade, which (naturally) failed...I mean, if Slade had been killed he wouldn't have been able to continue his evil plan of revenge and there wouldn't be any season two Big Bad arc.

Slade is the Capo di tutti capi of Big Bads!! Crixus…erm, Slade Wilson was the big bonus in this episode. Moira seemed quite enchanted (or maybe it was Slade’s money that enchanted her?) by this brutish, yet strangely suave one-eyed man. Loved the reveal that he had been busy planting secret surveillance cameras while pretending to admire American landscapes.

I had hard time following the flashback action….a lot ot the time it just seemed like a lot of guys shooting and jumping around. I might have to rewatch to really understand what happened on that ship.

Slade’s motivation for wanting to destroy Oliver is even more feeble and far-fetched than Malcolm’s motivation for destroying the Glades. I mean, even if he’s deluded by the Mirakuru, he should realize that Oliver didn’t make any choice at all. Also, as far as I know, Slade was never in a relationship with Shado, and yet he behaves as though Oliver killed the love of his life. I know it’s a comic book show, but I still need some degree of psychological verisimilitude in order to suspend my disbelief.

Laurel (and Quentin!) was Missing In Action in this ep, and Felicity only had a few scenes…but I guess that was mainly due to the prominence of the flashback action and to the fact that most of the present-day action took place at the Casa Queen. I was happy to see Thea in a more prominent role, though. I was surprised to learn that she is an expert on 19th century American landscape painting…She must have picked up some knowledge at that exclusive prep school she attended in season one, although she didn’t seem to take school that seriously!

Am I the only one who suspects that Dr. Ivo might be Felicity's long-lost father?? Poor girl! On the other hand, every other major character on the show has a dark/shady past, so I guess Felicity deserves/needs a little drama, too.

90% of the “Arrow” fandom seems to love this episode. I guess I belong to the 10% who prefer the more nuanced/realistic character portrayal and slower pace of the first season. Sure, this was an action-packed episode with some great moments, but it still feels like the writers have been injected with Mirakuru, because the writing just seems so heavy-handed at times. I mean, how many times did they hit us over the head with the fact that “Slade hates Oliver because he believes that he chose Sara, and thereby is somehow responsible for Shado's death”???

OK, I'll stop my whining and say that I give this episode an eight for big production movie feel and for the Slade scenes. There is nothing wrong with melodrama, as long as it's not overdone, and Moira and Slade are certainly more subtle than JR and Alexis!
    Last edited by evaba; 03-06-2014 at 04:03 AM.

I felt the episode was a little flat and jerky. I loved the scene when Oliver, Roy and Sara surrounded Slade, and the "what now" question was asked. I loved Oliver's nightmare with Shado, and reminded me of the one he had of Laurel during "Odyssey". What happened to Slade's son? Oliver did not expect Slade's answer that he had no son or wife.
    This episode could have provided Oliver an opportunity to stop lieing to Moira, and admit he already knew Slade. But lies are the fabric of this show.
    Maybe I should watch it again, and I might enjoy the episode more.

New In Town
    Not really a superhero comic reader, so this may have an obvious answer somewhere in comic history. But I have a dumb question: If the Mirakuru causes Slade to be super strong, to resist damage and to heal damage (did he not take a direct stomach shot in this episode and not even slow down?), why is he still missing that eye? Even if it was totally removed, should it not "regrow" due to the healing capabilities of the Mirakuru? An arrow to the eye that went deep enough to "kill" someone, would certainly cause brain damage, and that appears to have healed up just fine. The brain, it seems to me, would be at least as fragile an organ as an eye when it comes to healing itself. So the fact that he appears to have no brain damage but is still missing an eye is a curious thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast