Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "The Purge"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "The Purge"?

I feel as if my feelings for this episode are two fold. There's the rest of the episode, then there's the ending.

Let's start with the rest of the episode.

So a hot dog eating contest.

"That's no hot dog." Really? And whoops he did cheat. And now he's dead.

Dean being so pissed/hurt about Sam "just being honest". That was really good. Cause you could see that what Sam had said did hurt him.

So the other contestant's wife is Roma? It was a nice misdirect, especially when the wife showed up and revealed she was having an affair with the vic.

Princess Jasmine?

Dean taking the interview with the hot blonde, of course. And she has a suction mark too.

Sam getting the trainer job, Dean as 'lunch lady' (which we knew from the previews).

Wait, Sam dated someone "bendy"? Who? When?! (And that was a subtle but nice allusion to Lisa.)

So it's fat sucking monster?

Okay, pure superficial moment but hot sexy did Sam look in his yoga gear/trainer outfit?

Wow, the Sheriff sounds like the one from Fargo.

Oh Dean, always with the pudding!

Figuring out they're hunters.

"A fish taco?" Cute.

So the brother is also a fat sucker, just...evil? I felt sorry for the wife when the husband died. And then the cook killed too?

Sam got a bit of a fight scene (which is more than he has had lately). Nice save, Dean!

And once again Dean is all "all monsters are bad", despite having just let Garth and that whole group of werewolves go and live in peace. Seriously, the writers (and Dean) need to maintain some consistency here! Sometimes Dean seems to think it's okay to let 'good' creatures live, other times he wants to gank them all! Decide already!

And then the final scene. Finally talking. Dean tells Sam he would do it again (which is so IC for Dean, yay). Sam wondering what the upside to his being alive is (really, Sammy? Aside from being with your brother, all the good you've done since being brought back and all the good you can yet do?). And yeah, Sam is probably right. Dean probably did bring Sam back so he wouldn't be alone. But is that such a bad thing? Does Sam really want Dean to have to go through the rest of his life completely alone?

But it was Sam saying he wouldn't do the same for Dean that really got my blood boiling. Because he has. We've seen it. One of the big sticking points of Season 8 was how many people were all "Sam wouldn't just let Dean rot in Purgatory" and people being upset that Sam didn't look for him because that's not Sam. And here we have him basically saying that Season 8 Sam was true?

This angers and disappoints me because it feels incredibly OOC to me.

So I guess I thought the main part of the episode had some problems (again, Dean and his switching POV on monsters) but wasn't bad per se. The last few minutes, another story.
    10--Pudding!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1--needs to be Purged from my memory
    0%

The poll is expired.

The comments made by Sam were apparently very IC for Sam....this new Sam we have had for two years now. The one who really really just doesn't want to be doing this anymore. He tried to redeem himself by sacrificing (committing suicide actually) to close the gates of hell. The scene with Bobby and Death was very telling to me that Sam was DONE....he wanted out, completely. Now he wants to make things right as per his conversation with Cas....but I think he wants it to be through his own death. Pulling himself away from Dean is probably some defense mechanism on his part or he is trying to wean Dean away from him as his brother. Considering Sam another hunter will make it easier on Dean once Sam is truly gone.

As far as Dean's POV on monsters and letting them live or die is something I think he will be growing into, so that letting the redeemable ones go (Garth, the werewolf chick from last year, this Peruvian monster) will eventually be IC for Dean....

I don't know about you, but anybody else want to see the guinea pigs somewhere every time they played the Peruvian pan flute music?

Comment

This episode was alright. Nothing special but way better then last weeks ep. This episode had his funny moments

Comment

Much better episode than last week but still seemed rather weak. Was quite surprised by what Sam said at the end though.

Comment

Fish taco.

That's it. The episode won just because of that.

It was a sly typical monster-of-the-week episode that, while I didn't enjoy as much as "Sharp Teeth", it was still a really good episode for SPN's standards.

The new monster was pretty cool too and it's been a while since Sam and Dean had to kill the monster in a fashion that includes the monster's ability(reminds me of killing the shtriga while it's feeding).

Comment

#Supernatural We revamped the sucker to make it less --er-- more CW friendly...
            — Mark Meloche (@rotomonkee) February 5, 2014

Now I really want to see what the original version looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSheltie
              The comments made by Sam were apparently very IC for Sam....this new Sam we have had for two years now.
              This episode put me in the mind of Season 8 (at least the first half) version of Sam. The 'I want a normal life' version. Which okay, yes, he's been down that road before. But in the second half of Season 8, he turned away from that, rededicated himself to hunting and 'gave up' on normal, if I recall right. He even said something to Dean (during the Trials) to the effect of "we can both live through this" or something. I don't know. It just seems to me that Sam has been going in and out of OOC for a while now. They keep having him want normal then accept his life then back to normal and then...well, you get the picture. But this is the first time we've (again, to my recollection) seen him as ready to die.

Comment

I think he "gave up" on normality because he realized that these trials could also bring the end to his life and that's why he didn't care about death when Dean said that the last trial would kill him, or at least that's how I viewed it. Yes, Sam said that they could both live through this, but that was also before Sam started to cough up blood and get weak day after day without even doing the second trial yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Anno_Domini
                  Yes, Sam said that they could both live through this, but that was also before Sam started to cough up blood and get weak day after day without even doing the second trial yet.
                  That's true. He did say that before he knew the toll it would take. I guess I just...I'm tired of the switch between Sam wanting a normal life then suddenly he realizes it's not for him and embraces the Hunting thing. Then soon he switches back. The whole thing gets tiring. And surely after the multiple times that he (and Dean, and others) have tried to have normal and it just hasn't worked out, he'd know that it's not something that he can have.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎