View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Arrow character?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oliver the Arrow

14 13.59%
  • Diggle the Black Driver

4 3.88%
  • Felicity the IT Girl

32 31.07%
  • Laurel the Lawyer

17 16.50%
  • Sara the Black Canary

11 10.68%
  • Roy the Red Hood

2 1.94%
  • Slade Deathstroke

12 11.65%
  • Thea the.. Oliver's sister.

1 0.97%
  • Malcolm the Dark Archer

3 2.91%
  • Other

7 6.80%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    New In Town
    Laurel Lance
    Sara Lance

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
    I actually liked Felicity in season 1, now they've just kind of ruined her for me with this whole romantic thing. It's not even the romance either. It's how she's written for it. Remember when Oliver slept with Isabel Rochev? And she had a hissy fit about it? It was just embarassing. In a teen drama show, I can see that happening. And I can accept it. Because you know what? Teenagers would do that. But Felicity isn't a teenager, I don't think? And this isn't a teen drama show. And her and Oliver don't have any kind of relationship away from friendship and/or sidekick. And what's worse is that Oliver takes it seriously. I face-palmed hard on that. It really annoyed me, as you can see. I don't know. Maybe I just felt like they really don't know what they're doing with her. It's similar with Laurel. Only she has a story-line that they're shoddy with. Personally though, I also take kind of an issue when writers pander to a fan base. I think a show-runner should tell the story they want to tell, not the one a fan base wants them to. Then the only issue would be their presentation and the development of the characters, and writing, ya know?
    I agree 100%. A lot of them started acting like teenagers in Season 2, and they gave the younger characters more airtime. Like you said, they're pandering to their fan base, and that annoys me too.

In Season 1 I felt Felicity was a lot more independent. If they wanted to segue into a romantic story arc from Felicity 1.0, I would have been okay with that. But in Season 2 she does start acting like a teenager. I would imagine her and Ollie are supposed to be roughly the same age. I would have appreciated the scene of her attempting to use the punching bag if she'd been doing it for herself, but she was so clearly doing it because she was jealous of Sara being the a**-kicking partner that Ollie happened to be sleeping with.

I'm also a little uneasy about the imbalance in their relationship. It's why I've always seen Felicity as a little-sister character to Ollie. He's protective of her, and outside the realm of teen drama, that doesn't make for a solid, equal relationship. It's 2014. No more damsel in distress stories.

In a lot of ways I think Season 2 was a transition season for the writers and the network, and doing what basic cable channels do best, they round up a focus audience and ask them what they think they want to see. Season 1 was heavily invested in Moira, Walter, Diggle, and Raisa even seemed to be set up in place to be a maternal voice of reason. Laurel was Laurel in Season 1, but if they'd continued with the more mature themes explored in Season 1, I could have seen Laurel's addiction arc much more fleshed out and believable, even relevant.

Instead they brought in Roy and Syn, resurrected Sara, and gave Thea more airtime. Great, another show about rich brats being naughty and sleeping with other-side-of-the-tracks hood rats. Gossip Girl meets Smallville. Which is...Smallville. If you were to watch the first three episodes and the last three, you'd probably think they were two separate shows.

I'm still holding out hope. It's still better than Smallville, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardelphia View Post
    I agree 100%. A lot of them started acting like teenagers in Season 2, and they gave the younger characters more airtime. Like you said, they're pandering to their fan base, and that annoys me too.

In Season 1 I felt Felicity was a lot more independent. If they wanted to segue into a romantic story arc from Felicity 1.0, I would have been okay with that. But in Season 2 she does start acting like a teenager. I would imagine her and Ollie are supposed to be roughly the same age. I would have appreciated the scene of her attempting to use the punching bag if she'd been doing it for herself, but she was so clearly doing it because she was jealous of Sara being the a**-kicking partner that Ollie happened to be sleeping with.

I'm also a little uneasy about the imbalance in their relationship. It's why I've always seen Felicity as a little-sister character to Ollie. He's protective of her, and outside the realm of teen drama, that doesn't make for a solid, equal relationship. It's 2014. No more damsel in distress stories.

In a lot of ways I think Season 2 was a transition season for the writers and the network, and doing what basic cable channels do best, they round up a focus audience and ask them what they think they want to see. Season 1 was heavily invested in Moira, Walter, Diggle, and Raisa even seemed to be set up in place to be a maternal voice of reason. Laurel was Laurel in Season 1, but if they'd continued with the more mature themes explored in Season 1, I could have seen Laurel's addiction arc much more fleshed out and believable, even relevant.

Instead they brought in Roy and Syn, resurrected Sara, and gave Thea more airtime. Great, another show about rich brats being naughty and sleeping with other-side-of-the-tracks hood rats. Gossip Girl meets Smallville. Which is...Smallville. If you were to watch the first three episodes and the last three, you'd probably think they were two separate shows.

I'm still holding out hope. It's still better than Smallville, for now.
    Honestly, I don't know. I think the last few episodes of season 2 of Smallville were really good. I don't know. Maybe I'm just nostalgic. I kind of take a show for what it is. Smallville the teen drama, I actually liked, I even kind of liked the more adult-esque version of it in the last few seasons despite the writing having gotten worse by that point. It kinda seemed to me that SV was juggling its characters and storyline's better in the latter half of season 2 than Arrow was. Maybe that's because it was doing less, I'm not sure. Although, Arrow has taken a bit of bump in the excitement level, and going for bigger action set pieces, which can be entertaining.

Forum Regular
    Honestly, I don't know. I think the last few episodes of season 2 of Smallville were really good. I don't know. Maybe I'm just nostalgic. I kind of take a show for what it is. Smallville the teen drama, I actually liked, I even kind of liked the more adult-esque version of it in the last few seasons despite the writing having gotten worse by that point. It kinda seemed to me that SV was juggling its characters and storyline's better in the latter half of season 2 than Arrow was. Maybe that's because it was doing less, I'm not sure. Although, Arrow has taken a bit of bump in the excitement level, and going for bigger action set pieces, which can be entertaining.
    I definitely agree that SV juggled its characters better than Season 2 of Arrow. I think that probably has to do with the fact that SV knew it was a teen drama from the beginning. I did enjoy SV, but it started when I was in my early 20s so I appreciated the drama more than I do now.

The bigger action in Arrow kept me entertained through Season 2. Even though some of it is utterly ridiculous, and in a lot of ways Ollie really fails (the Glades were still destroyed), it's still fun to watch.

Speaking of the Glades, can't we get a more realistic "bad neighborhood"? The bad parts of Vancouver look nicer than the best parts of Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Stardelphia View Post
    I definitely agree that SV juggled its characters better than Season 2 of Arrow. I think that probably has to do with the fact that SV knew it was a teen drama from the beginning. I did enjoy SV, but it started when I was in my early 20s so I appreciated the drama more than I do now.

The bigger action in Arrow kept me entertained through Season 2. Even though some of it is utterly ridiculous, and in a lot of ways Ollie really fails (the Glades were still destroyed), it's still fun to watch.

Speaking of the Glades, can't we get a more realistic "bad neighborhood"? The bad parts of Vancouver look nicer than the best parts of Philadelphia
    It's always a problem when a show doesn't know what it's doing. That was the problem when SV started getting bad. It wanted to be Superman, but it had to maintain it's premise, so we end up getting an unnecessarily drawn out Superman and Lex Luthor (even though I do like Lex's arc) origin story where Clark is fighting Bizzaro, Brainiac, and Zod. Then it got even worse where it might as well have been a Superman show already, but yet it was still pretending it wasn't, like it was in disguise or something, even though Clark was working at the Daily Planet, had Lois as a love interest, and was off fighting bad guys on the streets of Metropolis in Red and Blue. Man, to see Arrow drop the ball so fast, I mean, they could've kept the drama/romance elements, and not done them as weird and poorly as they did. It's just regrettable.

I don't know about realistic, but the streets of Star City stuff, like with Firefly, and even Vertigo, and all that stuff, I liked in season 1. And I liked the Clock King and that stuff this season. When Arrow's fighting criminals, and not big overlords trying to destroy the city or save it or whatever, that usually brings about some really neat stuff. I even liked the Suicide Squad episode. You could still have the magic and/or superpower element and keep that. Like Solomon Grundy, and even a not so over the top version of Deathsroke. Even though Manu Bennet, God bless him, totally saved that character, it was pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by Dagenspear; 08-12-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Posting Pro
    I'm not an Olicity shipper, but I have more or less accepted that the writers will be "exploring Oliver's and Felicity's feelings for each other" throughout season three, providing plenty of things to discuss for the large social media fanbase who thrives on anything related to Felicity/Olicity. The odd thing is how the TPTB seem to be rewriting/retconning history a bit in order to accomodate this romance/pairing. For example, it is suppposedly SARA who will suggest to Oliver to ask Felicity on a date! Folks complained about the "Lance sister melodrama/swapping" in S2, but I find it equally odd that Sara, who until the end of season two was in a commited sexual relationship with Ollie is suddenly playing relationship councellor to her former lover. The stance of the producers is also somewhat puzzling, as when Guggenheim claims that Oliver and Felicity have been preparing for their much anticipated season three date for 43 episodes...

http://youtu.be/ukkMyM1zOUI

I mean, I certainly missed that preparation! What I saw during much of seasons one and two was Oliver more or less pining for Laurel, while simultaneously having affairs with a bunch of other women whom he obviously cared deeply for: McKenna, Helena, Sara, while keeping Felicity firmly in the friendship zone...In fact, the Felicity/Oliver romance always seemed pretty one-sided to me, until maybe the very last episodes in season two. Of course, if you belong to the large contingent of tumblr O/F shippers, it might have been clear from day one that Felicity is The One, but my experience from tumblr is that bloggers often read a lot more into individual scenes and interactions than what I am able to see, probably because shipper discussions have a large element of fan fiction and elaboration on the original on screen material.

I guess what I want to say is that in some ways the Oliver/Felicity love affair appears to be a somewhat sudden transition from a friends with tension type of relationship to a serious romance (which will undoubtedly encounter many obstacles in well-known CW fashion!). Of course, we won't know how things will evolve in season three, but these sudden pronouncements from the EPs don't really match what I have been seeing so far....

Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    I'm not an Olicity shipper, but I have more or less accepted that the writers will be "exploring Oliver's and Felicity's feelings for each other" throughout season three, providing plenty of things to discuss for the large social media fanbase who thrives on anything related to Felicity/Olicity. The odd thing is how the TPTB seem to be rewriting/retconning history a bit in order to accomodate this romance/pairing. For example, it is suppposedly SARA who will suggest to Oliver to ask Felicity on a date! Folks complained about the "Lance sister melodrama/swapping" in S2, but I find it equally odd that Sara, who until the end of season two was in a commited sexual relationship with Ollie is suddenly playing relationship councellor to her former lover. The stance of the producers is also somewhat puzzling, as when Guggenheim claims that Oliver and Felicity have been preparing for their much anticipated season three date for 43 episodes...

http://youtu.be/ukkMyM1zOUI

I mean, I certainly missed that preparation! What I saw during much of seasons one and two was Oliver more or less pining for Laurel, while simultaneously having affairs with a bunch of other women whom he obviously cared deeply for: McKenna, Helena, Sara, while keeping Felicity firmly in the friendship zone...In fact, the Felicity/Oliver romance always seemed pretty one-sided to me, until maybe the very last episodes in season two. Of course, if you belong to the large contingent of tumblr O/F shippers, it might have been clear from day one that Felicity is The One, but my experience from tumblr is that bloggers often read a lot more into individual scenes and interactions than what I am able to see, probably because shipper discussions have a large element of fan fiction and elaboration on the original on screen material.

I guess what I want to say is that in some ways the Oliver/Felicity love affair appears to be a somewhat sudden transition from a friends with tension type of relationship to a serious romance (which will undoubtedly encounter many obstacles in well-known CW fashion!). Of course, we won't know how things will evolve in season three, but these sudden pronouncements from the EPs don't really match what I have been seeing so far....
    I don't even think Felicity has been in 43 episodes. Has she? I think there was some eye contact and touching in season 2 but that's about it. It's certainly strange.

Forum Regular
    It's always a problem when a show doesn't know what it's doing. That was the problem when SV started getting bad. It wanted to be Superman, but it had to maintain it's premise, so we end up getting an unnecessarily drawn out Superman and Lex Luthor (even though I do like Lex's arc) origin story where Clark is fighting Bizzaro, Brainiac, and Zod. Then it got even worse where it might as well have been a Superman show already, but yet it was still pretending it wasn't, like it was in disguise or something, even though Clark was working at the Daily Planet, had Lois as a love interest, and was off fighting bad guys on the streets of Metropolis in Red and Blue. Man, to see Arrow drop the ball so fast, I mean, they could've kept the drama/romance elements, and not done them as weird and poorly as they did. It's just regrettable.

I don't know about realistic, but the streets of Star City stuff, like with Firefly, and even Vertigo, and all that stuff, I liked in season 1. And I liked the Clock King and that stuff this season. When Arrow's fighting criminals, and not big overlords trying to destroy the city or save it or whatever, that usually brings about some really neat stuff. I even liked the Suicide Squad episode. You could still have the magic and/or superpower element and keep that. Like Solomon Grundy, and even a not so over the top version of Deathsroke. Even though Manu Bennet, God bless him, totally saved that character, it was pretty ridiculous.
    The Clock King, The Doll Maker, and The Savior were my three favorite villains so far. I mean they were a stretch in a Hannibal Lechter kind of way, but they were believable, and the writing was well done. And they weren't one part of a broader story arc that spanned the season. They were concise, isolated episodes. I really liked Roy's role in The Savior episode, but I think his character could have been left as it was, at least for a while. He moved into the Arrow Cave too fast for my taste.

As for the streets, I agree, yeah, they were darker in Season 1. It wasn't even revealed until the end of Season 1 that Laurel's office was in the Glades. I was like, what? It looks like the freakin' Daily Planet, and that's supposed to be the ghetto? I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to architecture, especially how it's explored in superhero shows and movies. Starling City is starting to look like the clean streets of Vancouver and less like a city with a hugely polarized economy, class warfare, and an inexplicably high murder rate.

I know I strayed a bit from the "favorite character" topic, but you gotta admit, in comic books, a superhero's city is often a character in itself.

Posting Pro
    That is a very interesting and relevant point! I hadn't really thought that deeply about the change in direction towards more teen-themed storylines, but I definitely think you have a point. Since I'm not a teenager anymore, I think it's a pity that they killed off Moira, who was one of the most interesting characters (and Susanna was the best actress on "Arrow", hands down), because it means that another middle-aged character hits the dust. As for audience preferences I don't think the showrunners need to round up a focus audience; they only need to follow their own twitter accounts and the "Arrow"/SA FB pages to know that what a large portion of their online target audience wants is MOAR Felicity and Olicity! And until someone convinces me otherwise, that is also the reason why we got all those "moments" in season two as well as a real Olicity romance in season three. I'm not saying that it won't be interesting and engaging to see Oliver and Felicity "explore their feelings for each other", but I cannot really believe the change of direction wasn't a response to fan sentiments and wishes, rather than something that was a part of their original plan.

Yup, although season one had its typical CW youth-oriented moments as well (all those party/disco scenes and the often inane "quasi-playboy" Tommy/Ollie dialogues), I definitely agree that "Arrow" has a less adult feel in season two, despite Slade's melodramatic revenge arc and the bloody killing of Moira (though a teen orientation and violence/gore often go together nowadays, as evidenced in MTW's "Teen Wolf"!).
    Last edited by evaba; 08-18-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    That is a very interesting and relevant point! I hadn't really thought that deeply about the change in direction towards more teen-themed storylines, but I definitely think you have a point. Since I'm not a teenager anymore, I think it's a pity that they killed off Moira, who was one of the most interesting characters (and Susanna was the best actress on "Arrow", hands down), because it means that another middle-aged character hits the dust. As for audience preferences I don't think the showrunners need to round up a focus audience; they only need to follow their own twitter accounts and the "Arrow"/SA FB pages to know that what a large portion of their online target audience wants is MOAR Felicity and Olicity! And until someone convinces me otherwise, that is also the reason why we got all those "moments" in season two as well as a real Olicity romance in season three. I'm not saying that it won't be interesting and engaging to see Oliver and Felicity "explore their feelings for each other", but I cannot really believe the change of direction wasn't a response to fan sentiments and wishes, rather than something that was a part of their original plan.

Yup, although season one had its typical CW youth-oriented moments as well (all those party/disco scenes and the often inane "quasi-playboy" Tommy/Ollie dialogues), I definitely agree that "Arrow" has a less adult feel in season two, despite Slade's melodramatic revenge arc and the bloody killing of Moira (though a teen orientation and violence/gore often go together nowadays, as evidenced in MTW's "Teen Wolf"!).
    The teen themes always make me laugh a little because it reminds me of that episode of 30 Rock where Jenna decides to play an "aging" owner of a vermouth fortune and reveal her real age on Gossip Girl, "Don't cry for me, Tartine. I'm 41 now. Time, to die." I wish I could find a clip. That show did a great job of parodying what goes on behind the scenes when creating shows.

You may be right, they might not even do focus groups with shows like this because there's simply so much feedback online. But they don't get an accurate cross section of viewers by scraping opinions off Facebook and Twitter because youth viewers are much more likely to post comments. Still, with the shift in themes it seems like they did most of their research online.

The party/disco scenes kind of came out of nowhere to me. I get that he wanted to start a business and create a front for his lair, but he could have just become a real estate developer like most rich kids without degrees

For some reason, I don't like the main characters as much as the secondary ones. Malcolm, Moira (RIP ), Thea, Slade, Sebastian Blood (), and now Palmer are ones that I enjoyed watching.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    My favorite is currently Thea.

Laurel is my QUEEN!
    Even though I'm not fond of everything, I fell in love with her from the start.

Felicity always brings joy to the show too.
    And Roy is pretty awesome, though I didn't like his bad guy arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Buziel0809 View Post
    For some reason, I don't like the main characters as much as the secondary ones. Malcolm, Moira (RIP ), Thea, Slade, Sebastian Blood (), and now Palmer are ones that I enjoyed watching.
    Technically speaking, only two of those characters (Blood and Palmer) are/were 'secondary characters'.

As far as picking my own Favorite Character, I really can't pick one character I like more than any of the others because I like each of the main characters - either past or present - for different reasons. If you absolutely forced me to choose, though, I'd have to go with Oliver.

Forum Whiz
    I don't really have a favorite charater this season yet. I do like Laurel's development so far although I think it's going to fast, in order for her to aquire the needed training to pick up the mantle of Black Canary I think the importance of what she's experienced so far this season viewers may start to forget. Oliver was pushed into his role by Robert's death yet he not only had to train but survive for 5 years in order to achieve that role.

Roy I enjoy although we're not seeing enough of him for me to list him as a favorite. He has matured wonderfully so far.

Diggle I have very few issues with unlike the rest of the characters. Felicity is loosing my support, Quentin hasn't shown enough of his strengths in order for Laurel to have a reason to keep Sara's death from him, Ray hasn't shown me anything in the show that has me rooting for him yet, Thea has grown up but I'm unsure of her moral standing right now so that I'm unsure if I should be rooting for her or against her, Ted Grant we have almost nothing to go by, Malcolm is to slimy for me.

I'm really revved that Nyssa will be showing up next episode, I guess she'd best qualify right now as a favorite character.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast