Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Forum Whiz
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    973

    please somebody make for care

    I gave Blast Radius a 4 and I gave Blind Spot a 4. Does anyone see a patron here?

    In season 1, Oliver was a kick ass superhero, in season 2 not so much. Every week someone has to come to his rescue. In Blind Spot, Laurel had to save his life.
    What happen to the Oliver, who single handedly rescued Walter from where he was held prisoner, knocking down bad guys one after the other.

    And speaking of Laurel, both her father and Ollie know she has a drug and alcohol problem but neither is trying to get her help.
    And worst, Ollie is waffling about her, first he believes her then he doesn't. He see nothing strange about the police report going missing or the Mother dying after being visited by her son.

    Laurel is a pathetic mess.
    Ollie's mother knows that Tommy's father is alive and fixed the jury but tells no one.
    Know one stays dead. Deadshot, Laurel's sister etc.
    Even the bad guys that Ollie puts in jail get out on a regular basis.
    The Felicity, Barry and Ollie love triangle - spare me.

    There are to many story arcs hanging with not much movement in any of them.

    I miss
    S1 Ollie who had a purpose and resolve.
    S2 Ollie just reacts to what ever is happening and not doing it very well.

    I am fast losing interest in the series and my stop watching it. I am no longer invested in the characters.
    Somebody save me and make me care again.

  2. #2
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,127
    I definitely agree with you on many points! However, the majority of the online fans, both here and on other forums, seem to be thrilled with the new season. And from a commercial viewpoint the showrunners are doing things right, since people keep tuning on and ratings remain good (for the CW network, that is!).

    Like you, I have several major gripes with season two: the inconsistencies in Oliver's character portrayal, the proliferation of somewhat forced and fan driven semi-romantic "moments" and fabricated "jealousies", the marginalization of Diggle, the way that Oliver nowadays seems unable to do anything by himself, all the people returning from the dead, the plot holes, the retconning and the inconsistent storylines...And don't get me going about the Laurel storyline. It picked up a bit in "Blind Spot", where she had the opportunity to do something useful, but now they're back to portraying her as a lawyer on a bender, with a ridiculous amount of misfortunes heaped on her slender shoulders!

    Ah, it felt good to get that off my chest! Now that I've ranted for a bit, I have to say that the only thing that keeps ME watching is that I am still invested in the characters and I want to know what is going to happen to them. However, I do feel that season one had a much clearer sense of direction, both when it comes to the character portrayal and to the over-arching plot.
    Last edited by evaba; 01-30-2014 at 03:12 PM.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    112
    There's quite a bit in this post some of which I agree with and some of which I disagree with. So, I'm just gonna go through and respond to each thing individually.

    Quote Originally Posted by supercatmom View Post
    In season 1, Oliver was a kick ass superhero, in season 2 not so much. Every week someone has to come to his rescue. In Blind Spot, Laurel had to save his life.
    What happen to the Oliver, who single handedly rescued Walter from where he was held prisoner, knocking down bad guys one after the other.
    You make a fair point here. While Oliver is of course still very capable, and a much better fighter and archer than the average person, he's not quite at the level he seemed to be in Season One. I believe there are two reasons for this. Firstly, Oliver now has a no-kill policy in effect. In Season One, he wasn't bothered in the slightest by killing, crippling, or maiming dozens of armed men to rescue his step-father. In a way, this made him "stronger" then, because he could do whatever he wanted to achieve the mission. Now, however, he's trying to do things without killing, and that makes him "weaker" in a sense, because there are limits to how far he can and will go barring, of course, his reaction to Count Vertigo's abduction of Felicity, and the very serious threat of him killing her and exposing the Arrow's true identity. The second reason, I believe, is because Oliver spent a few months (if memory serves, I believe they said he'd spent some five months or so) on the island, doing who knows what. If he got target practice in, continued doing his workout routine, and jogged a bit, that would have been the most exercise and training he could have received in that amount of time. For much of the season, he hasn't exactly been facing off against men like the Dark Archer, so his skills aren't quite up to snuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by supercatmom View Post
    And speaking of Laurel, both her father and Ollie know she has a drug and alcohol problem but neither is trying to get her help.
    And worst, Ollie is waffling about her, first he believes her then he doesn't. He see nothing strange about the police report going missing or the Mother dying after being visited by her son.
    I also partially agree with you here as well. However, you're only half right. Oliver seems to be too busy training Roy to worry about Laurel, and even when he found out that she had been disbarred and that her legal career was over, he still didn't bother getting involved directly though, perhaps this is because she betrayed Arrow, has been blaming everyone else for her problems all season long, and is now on a (seeming) witch-hunt against Oliver's friend Sebastian. Instead, Ollie calls Sara. (It's almost as if Oliver Queen is as sick of Laurel as much of the fan-base...)
    Now Quentin, on the other hand that's another story. As we saw in Tremors, he does care and is trying to help his daughter. But no one can be helped who doesn't want help, especially not if that person won't even acknowledge that he/she needs any help. Such is the case with Laurel. Moreover, she was very rude to her father when he came to her apartment to talk to her. I don't know about you, but when people are rude to me when I'm trying to help them, I typically just wash my hands of the matter for a while and leave things be. Quentin deserves at least some credit for trying to get through to her.

    As to the second part of this, I think you've got a good point. Problem is, Oliver is clearly spooked by the Mirakuru (and rightly so), and now he obviously sees it as his sole purpose to make sure that Roy doesn't end up like Slade did. That's obviously clouding his judgment. Plus, he's got Dig and Felicity telling him that he should stand up for Sebastian and support him, and they both openly oppose any notion that the man could be underhanded. I would say the three of them have been woefully misjudging or out-and-out ignoring things this season. Which actually makes little sense from Diggle, since he was the one who initially guessed that Moira might be involved in something bad in Season One. What happened to the Diggle who used to advocate caution and investigation into matters before leaping to condemn or defend?

    Quote Originally Posted by supercatmom View Post
    Laurel is a pathetic mess.
    Ollie's mother knows that Tommy's father is alive and fixed the jury but tells no one.
    Know one stays dead. Deadshot, Laurel's sister etc.
    Even the bad guys that Ollie puts in jail get out on a regular basis.
    The Felicity, Barry and Ollie love triangle - spare me.
    Totally agree with the first.
    I'm not seeing a question or anything on the second point, so I really don't know how to respond. Yes? That doesn't seem strange to me. Keep in mind, she has no idea who Oliver really is, but she does know who Malcolm is, and what he could/would do to her children if they try to interfere with him and his plans whatever those might be. She foolishly believes that she can now contend with Merlyn simply because a) he's legally dead and thus has essentially nowhere to go, or b) because she was acquitted of mass murder and is now evidently some sort of invulnerable, godlike entity who needs no protection and has no reason to ever worry about The Undertaking's repercussions. Whatever the reason, I think (read: hope) she's in for trouble down the road.
    Deadshot never actually died. Ever heard of a man named Xiahou Dun? You can survive an arrow to the eye especially when, as in Deadshot's case, you're wearing a device over your eye that absorbs at least some of the impact from the arrow, thus keeping it from damaging the brain matter behind the eye. It's just too easy for a person to say "no one stays dead" on a show where a few people come back from the dead or survive life-threatening injuries. How is anyone supposed to refute that statement? If people are dead, you won't see them returning physically (except in a dream-sequence, flashback, etc.), so there's no way for the audience to prove that they actually are dead. One could just as easily argue that no one on this show has ever actually died, but that we just haven't seen them because they're all hiding out in a bunker somewhere. So, such a discussion is ultimately pointless.
    Well, one of these prisons was damaged during the earthquake at the end of Season One, and that's how two of Arrow's enemies escaped. We saw how Bronze Tiger got out in "Tremors". I don't think I've left anyone unaccounted for... Ollie technically never did put Deadshot in prison, so his escape in episode 6 doesn't count.
    Yeah, the love triangles on this show have gotten to be super annoying! I'm so sick of all this "shipper" (hate that made-up English jargon garbage word) nonsense especially when the writers treat it like it has actual relevance to the series.

    Quote Originally Posted by supercatmom View Post
    There are to many story arcs hanging with not much movement in any of them.
    I definitely agree with you here. This is one thing I preferred about Season One: the plot was so much more straightforward, and there weren't so many plots and subplots to follow. It's not difficult to keep track of what's going on this season, just tedious; it feels like a lot of what's going on isn't really necessary, and could just as easily be removed from the picture without affecting anything drastically or unfavorably in the overall storyline. I kind of understand: the writers want to have a lot of material to go off of in future seasons and story arcs, but throwing so much out there right now feels a touch excessive.

    Quote Originally Posted by supercatmom View Post
    I miss
    S1 Ollie who had a purpose and resolve.
    S2 Ollie just reacts to what ever is happening and not doing it very well.
    To be fair, in roughly the first half of Season One, Oliver was being more reactive than anything. All of his "you have failed this city" speeches were done in reaction to a bunch of sleazy one-percenters taking advantage of the poor and downtrodden. It wasn't until around the middle of the season when Oliver, or anyone on his team, started actually being proactive (see my point above on Diggle, and then review episode... thirteen, I think it was). But in general, I get what you're driving at. Nobody on Team Arrow seems as focused or diligent as they were in Season One. Unfortunately, it seems that rather than make the bad guys more intelligent this season (isn't Slade supposed to be incredibly intelligent?), they've just opted for dumbing down the good guys and keeping the bad guys at roughly the same level as in the first season.

    Quote Originally Posted by supercatmom View Post
    I am fast losing interest in the series and my stop watching it. I am no longer invested in the characters.
    Somebody save me and make me care again.
    Again, I see your point. I personally am still immensely interested in the storyline and characters well, some of them anyway. But there have been a few low points for me this season. I think if the creative minds behind this series just put a little more realism into it, it'd be better. I'm not saying "get rid of the superpowers." It's a comic adaptation! There are going to be such elements herein, and I'm quite pleased with that. But for goodness sake, at least adhere to some form of reality!
    1) Don't have a girl who's eighteen/nineteen years of age running a bar, when all evidence so far in the series has shown that in this fictional world the drinking age is the same as it is in the real world.
    2) Don't have a woman run for mayor who just got acquitted of murdering 503 people. And definitely don't give her good chances of winning this absolutely would not happen in the real world.
    3) Don't force certain characters into the spotlight just to give them screen-time; not every major character has to be important all the time. In fact, sometimes it's best to know when an important character should be sidelined for a few episodes. Make viewers wonder what happened to that person, and want to see him/her on the screen again, rather than dread another episode dominated by a character who serves little-to-no purpose therein.
    4) If you have flashbacks, that's perfectly fine. But above all else, keep the protagonist's memories thereof consistent. When the viewer starts questioning the hero's memories, it leaves the possibility open that anything he/she says, thinks, believes, or does may soon be forgotten or omitted from the storyline. If that's the case, then why bother watching anymore?
    All these things, plus maybe a few others that I've forgotten at the moment, have sufficed only to harm the series. These things have dramatically hurt the show's believability for me, and every time an event like this takes place on screen, it makes it that much more difficult to maintain the "suspension of disbelief".

    Just my thoughts on the matter. Like I said, I'm still invested in the story, because most of the verifiably important characters are at least well-acted and interesting to me. Others I absolutely love like Slade (Manu Bennett is absolutely perfect in that role ), Lance (the father, not his annoying-as-hell, drug-addicted, blame-game playing daughter), Diggle (just give him something to do, beyond occupying a chair in the Arrowcave!), Merlyn (John Barrowman gave an fantastic performance in Season One, and I'm glad the character is still alive), and others who've had less screen-time overall.

  4. #4
    Doin' stuff n' thaangs deathstroke79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Canada, eh.
    Posts
    106
    It's what shows do. They stack up problems and then during the last 2-3 episodes of the seasons, everything goes together and satisfies everyone. It's like a jigsaw puzzle with a lot of pieces. You're getting pissed off because there's too many pieces all around and it's hard to solve, but once a few pieces get together, everything starts to blend in.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •