I loved this episode.

I liked that:
    Roy now knows Ollie's secret
    Moira is running for office
    Sara is back in the present
    Bronze Tiger getting recruited by Amanda Waller
    Markovia mentioned for a second time in the series

Settling In
    A very good episode, definitively an improvement over the last two.

I was particularly impressed how Oliver's reveal to Roy was handled. Great acting from both Stephen and Colton there. Also, the parallel to Slade was perfectly executed... Oliver having lied to Slade on the island vs. Oliver deciding to tell Roy the truth in the present. Awesome stuff.

It was a good episode. It seems like another episode to set the stage for the rest of the season.

So Ollie appears to be in a conflict of interest, at least politically. His mom's running for mayor, but his public alter ego pledged his support (and recently had a fundraiser) for Blood. We'll find out who he backs soon enough.

If he and the rest of Team Arrow are dismissing doubts about Blood, I think that leaves them open to getting egg on their faces if Blood is exposed by election day or season finale. I still don't think Ollie or Quentin can easily dismiss whatever doubts linger about Blood. I'm hoping they raise these questions on their own.

Thea's in a tough situation. In the dark about Roy's mirakuru rage, in the dark about Malcolm being her dad. It's all good that Ollie and Roy are teaming up, with Ollie trying to restrain Roy's impulsiveness and anger ... but guess who's stuck with the related "secrets and lies" fallout: Thea. Laurel might be at the end of her dark tunnel now that Sara is back, but it looks like Thea is going to get sideswiped by end of season.

As for Laurel, I think this is rock-bottom for her. The only direction now is forward and up. I guess the next time we see her, we'll have a better idea where this is going for her. Right now she's still an addict in denial, brushing off any help. Anyone else notice that Thea and Laurel's roles are reversed from S1, where Thea was out of control with party drugs and Laurel was the one trying to help?

I think it's long past time Felicity has a life outside of the Arrow den / Queen Enterprises. There are hints that she does with her visit with Barry, but that was off-screen. Everyone else seems to have one: Diggle, Roy (though his personal life was out there before he joined). Technically, Quentin's on Team Arrow too, except he only knows "The Arrow". How about a Felicity-centric, non-Team Arrow episode going forward?

It was good to see Slade and Ollie sorting out issues back at the island, though I think the scene did more to put into context present-day Ollie and Roy's dilemma. Shado is, yet again, invoked as a defining issue between them -- of this there can be no doubt, as Ollie was talking about "love" as powerful motivator: a lesson he said he learned on the island. (As long as Lex doesn't try to kryptonize Laurel, or Sara, or Helena, or Isabel ... in order to make Ollie allergic to her and deny their love, it should turn out okay. )

I didn't mind the DC easter eggs. Shout-outs are good, but we'll have to see how well they're used. I'll reserve perfect scores if the easter eggs pan out and result in a good story.

8/10
    Last edited by President_Luthor; 01-30-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Forum Whiz
    What a great episode. Was so nice to see Walter back and I hope we start seeing more of him towards the end of the season. I think the best parts of the episode though is how Oliver is now being so much more open about what happened on the Island. It's great development seeing how he would never speak a word of it at the start of the show.

On another note, I found that last scene with Moira and Walter a bit ominous when they were talking about who knows about Thea's Dad and having to make sure that they keep the doctor quiet... Was also surprising that Walter seemed to know about Thea.

I think it's rather telling that in the 2 scenes we have seen Amanda Waller there has been immediate focus on red shoes... Don't suppose someone can explain to me what the purpose of the Suicide Squad is?

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    This is from the DC Wikia.

The team is partially made up of imprisoned super-villains who agree to serve as expendable agents on life-threatening top-secret missions for the United States Government. In return, after sufficient service, the prisoners are granted full pardons for their crimes.

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Halberdier17 View Post
    This is from the DC Wikia.

The team is partially made up of imprisoned super-villains who agree to serve as expendable agents on life-threatening top-secret missions for the United States Government. In return, after sufficient service, the prisoners are granted full pardons for their crimes.
    Thanks for that. It doesn't paint Amanda Waller in the best light...

New In Town

Agreed. But...

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    Full of win 10. I'm glad Oliver told Roy his secret, just wish it would have been a little more in depth, but I'm sure it will get more in depth with their relationship as Roy is still a loose canon that needs to be trained and controlled.

Agreed. But it seemed like there was something cut from that part that will likely be included as an unaired scene when season 2 blu ray/dvd comes out.

New In Town
    Regarding the Promo: The Rahs pronunciation is an anglicized version of Rash in arabic. Oliver is heard using Rahs. Rash al-Ghul is literally 'head of the demon' in arabic and pronunciation which parallels the title of episode. To help clarify, the semitic cognate in Hebrew is just a vowel shift of an 'o' for 'rosh' as in Rosh Hashannah or, "head/top of the year"

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmdrummer85 View Post
    Regarding the Promo: The Rahs pronunciation is an anglicized version of Rash in arabic. Oliver is heard using Rahs. Rash al-Ghul is literally 'head of the demon' in arabic and pronunciation which parallels the title of episode. To help clarify, the semitic cognate in Hebrew is just a vowel shift of an 'o' for 'rosh' as in Rosh Hashannah or, "head/top of the year"
    Or "Rosh ha-Memshala"=Head of the Government, that is, Prime Minister. This is totally O.T. of course, so to make this post a little more on topic, here is a snippet from an article about the made-up Arabic and Asian names that you find in comics, movies and TV shows:

Exoticized names like “Ra’s Al-Ghul,” “The Mandarin,” and “Khan Noonien Singh” are not real names Arabs, East Asians, and South Asians would ever have for themselves. Any South Asian who looks at a name like “Khan Noonien Singh” would find it absurd. It looks as if Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry was combining different South Asian surnames to make something “exotic sounding.”

With the parallels between roy and slade, and with shado being such a contributing factor in slades story im curious to see how thea, roys love interest, is used. Especially with the foreshadowing walter and moire supplied at the end...good episode overall but honestly thought bronze tiger was abit cheesy. Same with showing tommys picture. Glad to see them tackle the issue of substance abuse more and more with laurels story arc.... green arrows supposed to bring light to tough issues.

Settling In
    I loved Tremors... When Roy looked at Arrow and saw Oliver for the first time, I actually got the chills.. From everything I read, the writers were going to hold off on that. So I didn't expect that... I get surprised on almost every show.. But that is the second time I really got hit in the gut... The other time was when Tommy came back and told Oliver he wasn't a murderer, he was a hero.. Get up and fight... I loved that too. I expected Oliver's dad to be the third ghost... The writers are great.. And they do Not disappoint me.. I am hooked on this show.. Kudos to the acters, writers, and everybody else involved.... Thank you for doing what you do...

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Supsfan View Post
    This episode was alright but nothing spectacular. The A plot was passable entertainment, the Miora plot was sort of stretching things and the Laurel is a drunk was not my cup of tea but not terrible. Seems like this episode wanted to set up a bunch of stuff more then tell a one episode story(which I prefer)
    Actually, if you pay attention to the episode, you'll see a guy watching as Laurel is walking away, just before or after Ollie called Sara. He's slipping something into his pocket. My guess is that the League have been drugging Laurel a bit to accelerate her issues in order to draw Sara out of hiding (Nyssa and Ra's would know that Sara's vulnerability is her family since she left the League upon learning of Merlyn's Undertaking).

Forgot to say. It was great to see Annie Ilonzeh as Joanna back.

I'm very upset with Oliver since the end of Blind Spot. His so-called "soft spot" about Laurel is pissing me off. I find it hypocrite from his side pretending Laurel and not doing something on his own to help Laurel. Ok, Laurel doesn't want help from anyone, but wasn't it the same thing with Roy's training?

It's so easy to call Sara for help and not helping Laurel on his own, he knew Laurel wasn't fine since Tommy's death and he didn't do anything, he just couldn't stop asking her if she was fine and not talked to her heart to heart about her problem! I find it coward from his part to call "savior Sara" (who has certainly a hidden agenda, she is so fake) to help Laurel.... *facepalm* I'm just saying that this Oliver doesn't sounds like Oliver, usually, he would have done everything to help her. And I'm starting to think that very soon (maybe by the end of the season), Laurel will find out Oliver's secret.
    And it parallels with Roy/Oliver storyline and Oliver/Slade on the island : secrets. Secrets are the worst poison ever in any relationship. Oliver kept his secret identity from Roy and the start of the training doesn't work. And he half told the truth to Slade about Shado and it's quite the same thing with Laurel, even if his intentions weren't bad. I just find it so unfair that Oliver wants to give a chance to Roy and not to Laurel. Some people like rejoicing over Laurel darkspiral but she doesn't deserve that because she was so close to unveil Slade's presence in Starling City and she just wants justice. I'm pissed about all this hate towards Katie Cassidy because she's an amazing actress, her chemistry with Stephen is so strong (to those saying that Katie can't act and doesn't deserve being Black Canary, you better watch Supernatural!) and she has everything to become The Black Canary (writers better not make some promises without fullfilling it, I don't want Laurel to get the "Lois syndrome" meaning : many seasons to wait and low quality writing for an important character).

Liked Thea/Laurel scene at Verdant, like Quentin/Laurel, Oliver/Slade scene was so touching.

Bronze Tiger is still boring but Suicide Squad on the way: I like that!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the negative knee-jerk reactions to Laurel (and Katie!), especially when they're baseless. Fans may have an issue with how Laurel as a character may be written on Arrow (as I do from time to time), but anything personal beyond that isn't fair or justified.

I realize lots of fans want to see Black Canary on the show. I do too! But it's only S2: if Ollie isn't quite the Green Arrow yet (he's still on his journey, the guy just got a proper mask recently!), then neither is Canary. I think her story is a work-in-progress too, but I can see how some viewers might perceive Laurel as spinning her wheels re: destiny. The show has made her seem meandering about or having no direction, especially in the previous season. It's been an issue with how Laurel's been written. I'm hoping this idea is about to change as of this episode.

It's the secrets and lies again. I think Laurel's got to find out about "The Arrow" 's identity, sooner rather than later. It's part of the reason why she seems out of the loop on the show -- because she is, especially with anything involving Team Arrow. I think Thea is getting a raw deal in the secrets/lies dept. this season: lied to by Roy, Ollie, Moira. If Laurel's out of the loop, Thea is out on Pluto! I think now is the time Ollie needs to be the overprotective older brother, now that he knows what Roy is dealing with.

I've said it before, but it's hard for me to digest Ollie's rationale for his "blind spot". Years later at the JLA HQ, when he's explaining his investigative prowess to the Detective of Detectives, it's not going to go well for him.

"Batman: You were looking into Blood's past. Then you dropped it ..

Arrow: 'Re-assessed' it.

Batman: Whatever. You dropped it. Why?

Arrow: I had a blind spot with Laurel. She called the cops on Sara and me and the fuzz busted our party years ago. Then Laurel went on substance-using binge, so I disregarded her theories on ...

Batman: Blah, blah, melodramatic clap-trap. Blood's file was inexplicably missing. Did that not raise red flags to you?

Arrow: Umm ...

Batman: And all the questionable activities in the Glades? Out on the streets, Blood's name pops up time and again. You even had leads. What of it?

Arrow: .....

Batman: I see. Here's what we're going to do. You like mysteries, my ward need help with his homework. Guess who's on 'Working with Fractions' duty today?

Arrow: I hate quarterly performance review week."

Don't get me wrong -- I do like Ollie. But with the Blood conspiracy, he's got his own blind spot to work on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast