No announcement yet.

Quentin and Laurel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quentin and Laurel

Am I the only one who is bugged by the way Quentin treated Laurel in "Blind Spot"? I love Quentin, but I find it hard to believe that he could turn away from Laurel, even though he could see that she was in a desperate situation. I can understand that he didn't believe her, but the way he left his daughter in handcuffs and crying just seemed overly cruel to me. It’s even more frustrating because Laurel ALWAYS stood by his side during his years of somewhat heavy drinking (though he never drank hard enough to lose his job, apparently). We haven’t seen much of his drinking problem on screen, but it has been implied that after the shipwreck he more or less abandoned Laurel for the bottle, at a time when she really needed him. Laurel might have been an adult at the time, but I would say she still needed family support and he just wasn’t there for her (“he climbed into a bottle”).

Despite this, we see present-day Laurel picking up Quentin from sleazy bars, so drunk that he can barely stand on his feet, and drive him home. And as she says to Oliver in a S2 ep, this happened on more than one occasion. If you think about it, Laurel might as well have given up on Quentin and let him slide even deeper into alcoholism, but she never stopped caring for him…and maybe that’s what saved him in the end. In view of this, I think Quentin’s behavior was really OOC, and it irks me that the writers would let him behave in this heartless way just to ramp up the melodrama. It just seems wrong that this overprotective and caring father suddenly turned into a heartless sod…that’s why I hope that he will be forced to atone for his sins in a major way in upcoming episodes!
    Last edited by evaba; 01-27-2014, 07:08 AM.

Quentin's rejection of her (and her questions re: Blood's plans) was the least believable of all the doubters in the ep. I don't buy Ollie's all that much either, but at least there was a half-hearted set up to lead up to his "blind spot" revelation. "You ratted Sara and me out to the cops all those years ago!" is a pretty lame grudge for Ollie to hold, and an even lamer reason to dismiss outright the growing cloud over Blood.

I know the pills were supposed to give Quentin a reason to doubt her, but with his history he should have been more understanding. Officer Quentin, your appeal of your demotion from detective is denied, as you've been rated OOC. Remedial character development, including a short scene/flashback/ten second coffee time chit-chat revealing how much alcoholism has affected your ability to trust others, is strongly recommended.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎