1 3.13%

1 3.13%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Spotty

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New In Town
    Could someone please explain this one thing to me? The evidence seemed to all go against blood, his mom telling Laurel and everything but what I'm confused about is the file. The file was obviously taken and it was said to be an inside job so they already knew that. I don't understand why finding the detective automatically removed Blood as a suspect when they were HIS files of the death of HIS father that were taken. What motive would the detective have to randomly take his files? Also with Laurel being targeted by the guys, all this stuff it just seems a little unrealistic that they would blame it ALL on the detective just because he was wearing the mask...Other than that I think it was good.

I was at 7/10 until that ending which bumped it up to an 8 for me
    Roy team up YES FINALLY

Settling In
    Laurel brings too much drama and the more I see her the more I hate her. This episode was better than last weeks, but it still doesn't seem like the normal arrow episodes. Next week looks promising so hopefully it'll be good.

Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by DGiger View Post
    Could someone please explain this one thing to me? The evidence seemed to all go against blood, his mom telling Laurel and everything but what I'm confused about is the file. The file was obviously taken and it was said to be an inside job so they already knew that. I don't understand why finding the detective automatically removed Blood as a suspect when they were HIS files of the death of HIS father that were taken. What motive would the detective have to randomly take his files? Also with Laurel being targeted by the guys, all this stuff it just seems a little unrealistic that they would blame it ALL on the detective just because he was wearing the mask...Other than that I think it was good.
    i agree, Daly had no motive so him being a suspect and them closing the case on that was dumb.

Forum Regular
    I think it was a good episode!
    Roy will finally get his training.
    We saw the new deathstroke outfit! although I like the island mask better.
    It was awesome!

Slade is in possession of Blood's file, it would seem to be leverage to keep Blood on-side with his schemes against Ollie.

I actually don't buy that everyone involved -- including Ollie and Quentin -- can easily rule out the pretty good reasons to at least keep closer tabs on Blood. I know Laurel's substance abuse issues are supposed to give them reason to disavow everything she discovered (with Sara and Diggle's doubts also adding to Ollie's belief in a 'blind spot' re: Laurel), but with all the legitimate questions about Blood and events in Starling City, they should know better than to take everything at face value. When it finally hits the fan, it won't look good on Ollie if, besides the pills (granted, "one" valid reason), his reasons for doubting Laurel are: b/c you called the cops on Sara years ago ... and Diggle thought you might be setting me up like last time with the SWAT. And I buy Quentin's dismissal of the evidence even less.

If they believe that everything to do with the serum is over and done with just because Daly was "caught" as the 'Mask', they would be deluding themselves -- and ultimately it would be on them if they fail to act, having been warned already.

I agree this ep. was setting the stage for many things: Laurel's descent and isolation subplot Slade's overarching scheme this season, Blood slowly running out of options to cover up his own involvement, Roy's apprenticeship with "The Hood", so we're getting a lot of plot threads to digest. The island sequences were the weakest, their purpose just to give credence to Ollie's blind spot dilemma with Laurel.

So it's an episode whose main purpose isn't to resolve anything, but set up the plots that will take us into the tail end of S2 and the finale. Despite some glitches, overall they've achieved that here.

New In Town
    Deathstroke and Roy/Arrow stuff were highlights for me (and anything with Team Arrow - Love Diggle)

Again some things are handled amazingly well (dialogue, interactions etc) and at other times the plot contrivances or changes in previously established characters skill sets to serve the story made me roll my eyes on numerous occasions.

The island scene was not really eventful in terms of action - but wow - I am really rooting for Sara to stick around (and not be killed off a 3rd time) even if it is off screen and the mantle of canary is handed to another.

7/10 - because DeathStoke in full garb was a surprise.....

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    So it's an episode whose main purpose isn't to resolve anything, but set up the plots that will take us into the tail end of S2 and the finale. Despite some glitches, overall they've achieved that here.
    I totally agree with this, nice ep. Just hard to believe everyone would be so naive and how that guy got the upper hand on Ollie even for a sec is beyond me. Seems at this point Ollie wouldn't even have the slightest crumb of a chance in battle with Slade who is far stronger and appears to be more skilled even from that short preview of his abilities.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DGiger View Post
    I totally agree with this, nice ep. Just hard to believe everyone would be so naive and how that guy got the upper hand on Ollie even for a sec is beyond me. Seems at this point Ollie wouldn't even have the slightest crumb of a chance in battle with Slade who is far stronger and appears to be more skilled even from that short preview of his abilities.
    This is something that's actually been bugging me since the Barry Allen two-parter. Ollie's skills seem to be all over the place! First time he fights Cyrus Gold, things basically come down to a draw, with Gold escaping in a truck, and Ollie looking at the bent, bloodied tip of his arrow. The second time? Ollie fights -- and apparently struggles -- against Cyrus, but in the end loses. Horribly, I might add. Almost dies. But the third time? Nope, he imagines Tommy giving him a pep-talk, and suddenly becomes invincible and defeats Gold without breaking a sweat.

Which brings me to this most current episode. He fights Officer Daly, who, as far as we know, has no special training aside from that which he'd have received to become a police officer. But the two seem to be on par with one another! As stated above, Daly even gets the upper hand, albeit momentarily -- until Laurel shoots him seven or eight times. (Where did she get the handgun from? I may have missed it, but I don't recall her having it before her abduction, and I also don't recall seeing anyone drop a gun. Seriously, did I miss something?)

We did see Slade punch a hole through a man's chest only minutes after his Mirakuru-induced revival, so... I'd say it looks like Ollie's done for.

Posting Pro
    I've been enjoying everyone's take on this episode. I've actually watched "Blind Spot" twice and yet there is so much to take in and comment on that I'm afraid that this will be another one of my Marathon posts. So, you better fasten your seatbelts and prepare yourself for a long and bumpy ride! I'll try to put my thoughts in some semblance of order.

Laurel Lance: why don't you believe me? I KNOW I'm right and yet everyone thinks I'm insane!

First of all, as a Laurel fan I was very happy to see Laurel get a more substantial role in the plot, and judging by the online reactions I have seen many fans/reviewers have responded positively to the fact that Laurel is finally getting something useful to do on the show. As I and several other forum members have complained, Laurel has either been mis-used or under-used so far this season, circulating in her own orbit and primarely being set up as Oliver's antagonist....which made some fans "hate" her, because we usually sympathize with the protagonist, even though he may be seriously flawed, as Oliver is (at least in my eyes!). Anyway, regardless of whether you like her character or not, this sidelining has been a major disservice to one of the main characters/figures in the "Arrow" and DC universe. So, it was great to see Laurel back in the thick of things, with a storyline that ties in with the main Brother Blood/Deathstroke story arc. I also think that Katie Cassidy proved to her detractors that she is a capable actress when she is given the right material and that she can convey a wide range of emotions. I especially liked her scene with Quentin, although it was heartbreaking to see him turn his back on his own daughter.

I think Laurel's role in this episode was pretty typical of many classic thrillers and suspense movies. In this type of stories there is often a protagonist who has uncovered some seriously incriminating information about a dangerous person or organization and who tries to convince the police, the FBI or the people closest to him/her that they must take some action. However, the hero/heroine is dismissed as crazy/deluded. They are also often framed by the same nefarious person/organization that they are trying to expose, just as Laurel was framed by Blood using detective Myles to impersonate Blood, something which convinced Oliver that Laurel was wrong in suspecting Sebastian Blood. As JDBentz wrote, this is a transitional episode, so I'm pretty sure that in the upcoming episodes both Quentin and Oliver will realize that they have misjudged Laurel and that Sebastian Blood is not the man he pretends to be. I think this is an exciting storyline, but as other posters have pointed out, the whole set-up makes everyone else but Laurel seem quite gullible and even somewhat stupid, in the sense that they don't see what's right in front of their eyes:

1. Laurel goes to visit Sebastian's "aunt" in the mental hospital and a few days later the "aunt" mysteriously dies right after Sebastian's visit (albeit of a heart attack, but still..)
    2.The police raids Laurel's apartment and finds evidence of drug possession right after she announces her suspicions concering Blood.
    3. The files concerning Sebastian's father are mysteriously missing.
    4. Laurel spent the entire episode trying to find evidence on Sebastian Blood and she's the one that just conveniently gets kidnapped in order to draw the Arrow out
    5. Sebastian uses exactly the same tactics that Oliver himself used in "Damaged", where Diggle impersonated Oliver to throw the cops off, and yet Oliver doesn't even suspect that Blood might have done the same thing. And honestly, how come he didn't consider it a bit suspicious that a low-ranked uniformed cop somehow had a large supply of Mirakuru and was building an army of super-soldiers? Instead he used his own feelings for Laurel (the "blind spot") as an excuse for not believing her.

One possible objection to all this is that we as viewers are seeing everything from Laurel's point of view, and thus have information that is unavailable to Oliver and Quentin (we know that Sebastian's mother confessed that he killed his Dad etc, because we saw the actual scene). However, I still think that everyone except Laurel are conveniently stupid in this episode.... and when it becomes evident that the gullibility or the failure to see the obvious is just used as a plot device, it's not really good storytelling IMHO. There are too many coincidences that can't be explained away with the excuse that Laurel has fallen victim to drug abuse and therefore per definition is unreliable and deluded.

In this episode we also saw Laurel kill someone for the first time, which must be a major turning point for her. And if we regard this story arc as Laurel's Island or crucible, this killing actually parallells Oliver's Island crucible. Just like Oliver she was forced to kill someone in order to save someone she cares for: Oliver killed Fyers to save Shado in the season finale and Laurel killed Myles to save Arrow.

Sara Lance and the big secret

I don't know about the rest of you, but it bothered me that the hyped-up secret turned out to be a about a petty sibling rivalry over Oliver. Sara has really started to grow on me with the Island flashbacks and I found her conversation with Ivo poignant, because it showed that she is clearly suffering from what they call the "Stockholm syndrome" (the victim identifying with her captor). However, her revelation about Laurel showed her in a somewhat less favourable light IMHO-I mean, why would a woman who cheated on her own sister and paid dearly for it (we know that she saw many horrible things on that boat) bring up a petty incident that happened eight years in her first serious conversation with Oliver? The whole thing was just a clumsy plot device to show that there was a rivalry between the sisters concerning Oliver long before Sara joined Oliver on the Queen's Gambit, and to connect Oliver’s sudden distrust for Laurel in the present with the flashbacks. Although I can see the writers’ rationale for doing this I thought it was pretty heavy-handed IMHO. I mean, in my eyes what Laurel did wasn't bad enough to somehow exonerate Sara's cheating....unless getting your sister grounded makes you an evil, scheming Jezebel who should be punished at all costs!

I would say that this particular conversation was mainly a case of the writers thinking with their asses and coming up with contrived plot details to ramp up the melodrama. It’s one of several occasions where they have retconned established storylines and character traits and I don’t like it, because they did such a great job with establishing Oliver’s and Laurel’s characters and relationship in season one. Anyway, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see where this leads…if it leads anywhere!

Felicity and Laurel

As most of you know there is a pretty intense ship war going on between those fractions of the shipper fandom who thinks that Felicity should be Oliver's One True Love (the majority) and those who would like to see Laurel and Oliver together. I get the impression that these shipper preferences sometimes colours the perceptions of the actual action, so that a Laurel-centric episode is per definition bad or boring to some shippers from the opposite team (and vice versa!)-which means that it will be viewed negatively, even if they happen to be quite good (I think the same thing happened in the "Smallville" fandom). It's not as evident on general forums like Ksite, but it's pretty common on tumblr and other shipper-heavy social media.

The interesting thing is that these fandom sentiments are not reflected in the actual show. I mean, I thought Felicity was really supportive of Oliver/Arrow and Laurel in this episode. She did her thing, guiding them when they went to retrieve the files and was being generally helpful. And honest to God, I didn’t detect any signs of crushing over Oliver or any jealousy that Oliver was working with Laurel, not even a snippy remark when Oliver confided that he has a “blind spot” for Laurel. In fact, in this episode I felt like Oliver and Felicity had gone back to their season one friendship relation, with Felicity in Oracle mode, and I really liked it.

I'm not saying that we won't get any "Olicity moments" or development of the Felicity/Oliver relationship in upcoming eps...I just get the feeling that the writers turn the Olicity romance on and off as it suits them. When they feel they need to cater to the large Olicity fanbase they will ramp the romance up a bit, and when they want to focus on other things they let Felicity and Oliver revert back to friendship mode. The same could be said about the Laurel/Oliver relationship...they will give it proper attention when they feel it serves the plot. Maybe this should serve as a caution that what we're dealing with here is only actors playing a part, and that it's really up to the writers whether Oliver will fall in love with Felicity or continue his on and off relationship with Laurel...or become involved with another woman, something which has been hinted in various spoilers.

A few stray observations

If anyone wonders what Sebastian and his mother said in Spanish, here is a translation of their last conversation:

La luz de Dios me rodea, amor de Dios me envuelve, el poder de Dios me protege, la presencia de Dios vela por mí.
    Sebastian: Los dioses están muertos.
    The light of God surrounds me, the love of God enfolds me, the power of God protects me, the presence of God watches over me.
    Sebastian: The gods are dead.

Did anyone else notice Slade's Aussie (or Kiwi) pronunciation of The VigilAnte and Laurel LAnce??

Oliver looks incredibly sexy in a leather jacket. It almost makes up for the missing shirtless moments!

Do US police officers usually trash the suspect's apartment when they search for evidence? And don't you have to present a search warrant before you enter someone's house? I am prepared to suspend my disbelief quite a lot, but this whole scenario just seemed too unbelievable in my eyes.

As a cyberfriend of mine suggested, Oliver's mask seems to have some kind of superpower which makes it impossible for people to recognize him, even someone like Laurel who has been intimate with him on a number of occasions. There is no other way that I can explain how she didn't recognize that the man who was holding her in her arms in "Blind Spot" is her former lover!

I have to stop here and I hope this makes some sense!
    Last edited by evaba; 01-24-2014 at 04:26 AM.

I would say Ollie and Quentin have enough reasons to look more closely at Blood and his activities and while Laurel's pill popping doesn't help her credibility in their eyes, the questions she's raised are more than enough for either of them to dig into further. I'd agree that Felicity is actually non-commital on the whole 'do you believe Laurel' issue. I think she was the one who mentioned that even Blood's name hints at something less than savoury ... and it was Diggle back in the Arrow den that made Blood sound like a do-gooder and cast doubt on Laurel's intentions, hinting that maybe she was going to set up Ollie again like last time. When it all comes crashing down, few hands will be clean.

It was painful to see Quentin reject his daughter's pleas. I guess we're supposed to accept that, because of his previous addiction issues, he had reason enough to doubt her. But he's a cop, a cop in Starling City. With all that he's seen in the past season and a half, he surely has reason to be suspicious, especially with Blood: someone close to his daughter. They need to sell that better (at least to me). Quentin might come out better if they had a moment where he opened up about what his addiction did to him (especially with trust issues), before his stone cold heart-to-heart with Laurel.

Between that, and Sara's ancient gripe about Laurel calling the cops on their party, they just seem to be wafer-thin reasons to outright reject Laurel's opinions. Even if they doubt them, they could still look into them. We've had Shrapnel, Deadshot, Blood, Deathstroke etc. I didn't realize the other Big Bad this season was Clueless: he makes Ollie and friends forget common sense details like the questionable death of Blood's mom and the inexplicably missing Blood file, but reminds them of dusty grievances from their past.

I firmly believe there is a method/purpose to Laurel's descent into despair and madness and it's not unplanned, contrived drama they just threw in. (Just don't get me started on Ollie and Slade potentially clashing over their wounded hearts re: Shado. )

Posting Pro
    Between that, and Sara's ancient gripe about Laurel calling the cops on their party, they just seem to be wafer-thin reasons to outright reject Laurel's opinions. Even if they doubt them, they could still look into them. We've had Shrapnel, Deadshot, Blood, Deathstroke etc. I didn't realize the other Big Bad this season was Clueless: he makes Ollie and friends forget common sense details like the questionable death of Blood's mom and the inexplicably missing Blood file, but reminds them of dusty grievances from their past
    Evil Villain Clueless! I love your sense of humour!

Yet another top-notch episode. Although I don't think it was as good as the last two but given how GREAT those episodes were that's hardly a bad thing. 'Blind Spot' kept the pedal on the gas on the overall plot, in present day and on the island. The season just continues to impress on every level.

Quote Originally Posted by costas22 View Post

7/10. Was going to give it a 6, but Casey Jones' awesome cameo in the end gave it a slight bump.
    I was thinking Casey Jones too. Slade looked awesome. 10 EP for me. I liked everything I saw and I think it is interesting with were they are going with Laurel...hope they take the character somewhere special. Roy...#RoydRage!

Forum Regular 42_theultimateanswer's Avatar
    I liked it. Gave it an 8. I haven't been big fan Laurel when she had nothing to do, but now she's involved so I'm warming up to her again. The only thing, for me, that would've made it better? More Team Arrow. I missed them just a bit :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast