View Poll Results: What did you think?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Great

    5 16.67%
  • 9

    7 23.33%
  • 8

    9 30.00%
  • 7

    8 26.67%
  • 6

    0 0%
  • 5

    0 0%
  • 4

    1 3.33%
  • 3

    0 0%
  • 2

    0 0%
  • 1 - Blow it up. Destroy it.

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    It's a solid start to the second half of S2.

    The good: The Sebastian Blood story arc is intriguing. Ollie making friends (in both his civilian and vigilante roles) with Blood could be the big misstep he will pay for by end of season -- perhaps even more so than the mirakuru / Slade conspiracy, which I hope goes beyond S2. The subplot of Roy discovering the side effects of the serum was also good. And Laurel's involvement in unraveling Blood's secrets bodes well for her. And continuity-wise, it looks like she's relying on pain-killers so I guess her substance dependency and internal descent is continuing. The whole Blood thing may likely push her over the edge, making her question everything she believes to be true. I'm hoping all of this factors into her character's evolution. The Ollie - Felicity sparring was alright and I am glad they didn't leave it with unresolved jealousy or self-pity issues.

    The bad: Not a fan when "Jealousy" guest stars on Arrow, especially when it involves Ollie or Slade. Shado's death will factor into Slade's eventual clash with Ollie and I fear that it will be the defining irritant when it comes to blows. I am glad that Slade's descent into madness isn't all at once but gradual -- though what is up with him running off with the mirakuru? As for the Ollie - Felicity spat, I think we can all agree Ollie started it and had a dumb reason to boot. What I didn't like is him invoking Barry as somehow the reason Felicity's mind wasn't in the game. Blech! Diggle was right, the blame game isn't going to do any good. And jealousy over Felicity's time with Barry was petty at best ... and engineered Arrow shipper friction at worst. I feel bad for Barry because he doesn't even get a say in all this.

    I don't want to watch S2 Clark, Lana and Chloe picking fights all over again about who likes who more -- with Felicity, Barry and Ollie as their "Arrow" proxies. Keep such angst off-screen as much as possible, I say. The saving grace was that Ollie and Felicity handled it like adults and friends and resolved it, instead of brooding about it well into the second half (like his TV cousin in Kansas would have). She's his partner, he values her. I'm happy with that.

    As for Roy - Thea, it looks like the secrets and lies game will continue, with Roy having to explain away his healing factor and superstrength. I want Roy to come clean with Thea, but somehow I don't see that happening until it's too late.

    They've set the stage for an intriguing second half overall.
    THIS. this is exactly what I thought about this episode and you couldn't of said it better!.. (except for a couple of things which i barely thought differently on)

    I know that it is obvious that the Arrow producers are starting to head on the track and going up in the fact that Oliver is starting to realise he is jealous about Felicity ' liking ' (if she likes Barry) Barry, and this is gradually going to get to a point where Oliver and Felicity talk about their feelings for each other and then they make out or whatever and then they are together, (oh by the way, I am a huge Olicity - Oliver and Felicity together as a couple fan) but i Honestly thought that the spat between Oliver and Felicity wasn't that bad but i feel that it was just above petty as I kinda feel that it was forced that Oliver was jealous of Felicity when i was under the impression that he was angry at Felicity because she wasn't focused on saving lives by helping Oliver because her mind was on her guy friend who is in a coma and could be possibly dead, and then a minute later we find out that Oliver is actually jealous of Felicity... (this is why I kinda feel the Oliver's jealous of Felicity was forced, and this makes me as an Olicity fan angry as i don't wan't Olicity to be forced, but i want to see true emotion of love and proper jealousy, not forced as it is fake... (sorry for my mini rant on forced jealousy and relationships but i had to say this)

    And i also feel sorry for Barry because I feel that Barry feel's jealous and sad because he knows what it feels like when he likes someone (Felicity) who doesn't like him back and he feels that Felicity likes Oliver and that makes him feel jealous and sad and he doesn't get a say in what happens next between either Felicity and Oliver or Felicity and Barry...

    and i pretty much straight up agree 100% with everything else you had said, and the fact that the producers of Arrow have set the stage for one heck of an awesome and intriguing second half of season two after all!

  2. #17
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    Didn't much care for this episode. The beginning went way too fast and there was too much laurel. It just didn't seem like the normal arrow episode. This was my least favorite episode thus far.
    i've gotta honestly agree with you in the fact that it wen't way to fast, but I actually real liked seeing Laurel and i really really hope to see way more of Laurel as she is an amazing,beautiful and talented actress who deserves more screen time on Arrow to show her great potential, but this episode is also my least favourite episode thus far. as Arrow has been getting better and better as the episodes continue on but this was an average Arrow episode but still good...

  3. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post
    I would give this episode a 7 out of ten, if only because Laurel had bit of a storyline and got to do something useful that is actually connected to the main plot. Otherwise this episode was kind of meh...or maybe it's just my enthusiasm about the show that is waning! So, of I may nitpick a bit, here are a few of my complaints...

    1. I can't help but feel that the "Arrow" characters sometimes seem like they have mislaid their brains somewhere...I mean, a few episodes ago Thea and Roy were so suspicious concerning Sebastian Blood's "blood drive" that they went to Laurel and asked her for help to investigate him, and now both of them are attending his harebrained rally because they want to support his campaign??? Either they are suffering from temporary amnesia or Sebastian Blood is such a charismatic man that he manages to charm everyone into thinking that he is the best thing since sliced bread. In fact, the only one who hasn't lost her head over Blood is Laurel, who is supposed to be somewhat attracted to him! Even Oliver, who is usually quite on his guard, seems to have no problems believing that Sebastian Blood is a trustworthy, stand-up guy, despite the fact that he arranges a mass meeting although he knows that there is a crazy bomber on the loose. I understand that this gullibility (or lucidity, when it comes to Laurel) is all part of the plot, but I just don't like it when plot dictates character portrayal, rather than the other way around. I can't believe that the writers want us to think that everyone (except Laurel) is unable to see beyond Blood's smarmy exterior. For example, Quentin is usually very suspicious of Laurel's boyfriends, but with regards to Sebastian (who he knows nothing about) he almost seemed to try to convince Laurel that she shouldn't suspect him...

    2. The Shrapnel is a good example of yet another underused villain of the week...in fact, he's just about as uninteresting as the crazy fireman in "Burned", who at least had a bit of backstory to explain his actions. In this ep Shrapnel was just a plot device, without any clear motives or even a small piece of backstory/story that would make him a bit more interesting to the viewers.

    3. This isn't really a complaint, but an observation concerning the Olicity ship tease. I have come to expect that we will have a certain ration of "Olicity moments" in every episode, and I know that the Oliver/Felicity "lovers' quarrel" (yep, that's how it was described on an online spoiler site) has set the tumblr and twitterverse afire with "feels" and declarations that "Oliver Queen is in love with Felicity Smoak. Head over heels in love with her" (an actual tumblr quote!). I'm probably in the minority her, I didn't see any love sparkles in the Oliver/Felicity scenes, at least not to warrant all this online shipper exaltation. It may be because I prefer Oliver and Laurel together, but I honestly didn't see much romance in the Laurel/Oliver scene together either, although they discussed Laurel's relationship with Sebastian. Now, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that the Oliver/Felicity interaction was much more fun and unforced in their earlier scenes, before the writers became so concerned or self-conscious about giving them a somewhat romantic subtext. I think part of my problem is that Felicity, as she is portrayed by Emily is a pretty matter of fact person (when she isn't flustered and socially awkward), and that's how she plays these more emotion-laden scenes with Oliver as well...in my eyes she just doesn't seem to be harboring a giant crush or passion for Oliver. This is not a complaint about Emily's acting, just a personal impression. As for Oliver, his behavior is somewhat ambiguous and I thinkt he writers want to keep it that way, to keep all doors open romance-wise: it is really open to interpretation whether he is jealous or only concerned about Felicity abandoning the team in a difficult hour or if his apology was a friendly one or the kind of apology you give after "a lovers' quarrel". Either way, the character who is really affected by all this teasing is Diggle, whose mayor role seems to be to stand by and prop Olicity...I mean, was I the only one who was disturbed that the "partner" reference seemed to mainly concern Felicity (since Digs had just left the Arrowcave), when it is DIGGLE who has been Oliver's trusted partner ever since the beginning of season one? It's OK if the showrunners want to please a big fan base by giving them some more Felicity/Oliver interaction, but it's kind of sad when a great character like Diggle gets demoted in the process. Before you start jumping on me, I have to emphasize that this is just my personal, biased opinion...others may have interpreted this scene in a different way.

    4. Finally, it seems that the writers are ramping up the melodrama when it comes to the Sebastian Blood storyline...I mean the man is a regular psychopath, who serves everyone teardrenched stories about being an orphan who only wants to do good for the city, while he is in reality a murderer who killed his own father and is keeping his mother locked up in a lunatic asylum....and who is planning to take over the city with an army of Mirakuru-injected mad men! The way things are going this season, I get the feeling that some of the Count's Vertigo has found its way into the writers room!Of course, Malcolm Merlyn was a psychopath as well, so I guess they're just staying true to their own brand of melodramatic/comic book style storytelling.

    Sorry about the rant, and if anyone feels like contesting my views/opinions, please feel free to do so! I'm hoping that the upcoming episodes will prove me wrong and turn out to be real BAMF good old "Arrow" storytelling!
    THIS. I totally agree with you and you pretty much just wrote exactly how I felt about this episode (except for a tiny bit about the Olicity thingy) !

    even though myself am a proud Olicity (Oliver and Felicity as a couple fan), i feel that Oliver being jealous was kinda forced, but for some reason I feel that both Oliver and Felicity know they feel something for each other, but they don't know exactly what it is, but as the episodes go on, Oliver is starting to realise more and more that he might be jealous of another guy (Barry) begin with Felicity as he might love her, and that Oliver is starting to also realise that it feels weird and not normal and empty when Felicity is not their and that Oliver needs Felicity in his life and he rely's on her in both a team way, a really close friend way and now a romantic way... (but I feel that they are both bot exactly there at the point that they both realise they like each other, but they both know that they need each other and rely on each other)...

    so as you people know, this is just my honest opinion on this subject and I love hearing other peoples opinions on this subject so can you please feel free to comment/reply if you feel that you wan't to say anything about my opinion on this subject!

  4. #19
    Posting Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,140
    Concerning the Oliver/Felicity issue, I found this quote in an online review that pretty much sums up my feeling on the matter:

    I think that whenever Stephen Amell or Emily Bett Rickards ask the directors how they want them to play the Olicity moments the response they get it is, “Do enough that it’ll keep the bloggers debating, but not enough that they’ll actually have the answer.” When pressed for more specifics, the director might say, “Play it mostly down the middle, but keep your hand on her arm just a little longer than you should, or stare up at him with a wee bit too much intensity.” As a result, I am perplexed at where they are taking these two. In the form of this new Barry Allen arc, they initially seem headed toward a Oliver likes her but not like that resolution. He seemed not jealous but concerned about Barry before, yet the flip is switched this week to something that is not full-on jealousy but also not mere concerned older brother either.
    If you take the dialogue of that final scene between Oliver and Felicity, it would seem as if Oliver is endorsing her nascent relationship with Barry. Plus, when she mentions “finally finding a guy that’s into her” Oliver’s silence could be seen as confirming the already unspoken implication that this means Oliver is one of those guys who’s just not that into her. Yet I honestly thought the scene was going to finish with the two kissing. As Community recently joked about Jeff and Annie, in film and on TV when a guy grabs a girl by the arms the way Oliver did with Felicity to calm her nerves at the end that’s usually a prelude to something instead of a mere friendly gesture. Sometimes I see total evidence of romantic subtext between the two; then other times, it evaporates.

    At this point, I’d prefer the show would just make up its mind and commit one way or another, even if a more realistic depiction of this type of relationship would be for them to take a while to understand exactly what they feel about each other. Or did I misread that final scene, and it really was about Oliver clarifying his feelings of friendship for Felicity but being unable to go further because all he feels is friendship (and maybe slight co-dependency)?
    I know that many Olicity fans believe that this wavering is all part of a grand plan, which they often refer to as "the slow burn" between Oliver and Felicity, on the pattern of similar couples on "Castle" (the "Caskett" pairing) or "NCIS" ("Tiva"). Now, I don't feel the intense chemistry and compability between Oliver and Felicity that many other fans feel, but I guess if you do, the ambiguity about their relationship might be a sign of a slowly developing love relationship, and that Olicity will eventually end up as the show's endgame. The difference between these shows and "Arrow" is that there is already ANOTHER fairly established romantic/emotional relationship on the show, and this relationship can't just be erased/retconned away, even if it is less popular within the shipper community/fandom.

    I frankly don't how the "Arrow" writers will be able to juggle TWO serious romantic/slow burn relationships without making Oliver's love life seem somewhat messy and erratic. Somewhere along the way I think that the showrunners have to decide whether Oliver and Felicity should remain "friends with tension" or if they should proceed with the slow burn. The risk is that if they inject more relationship drama, Olicity may lose some of its charm, since the aspect that many fans initially seemed to enjoy so much about them was the friendly banter and the easy companionship...

    Anyway, I would personally prefer if they provided good storylines for both Laurel and Felicity, rather than letting them be defined by their relationship to Oliver...especially Felicity, who has zero backstory/character development outside the Arrowcave. For me Laurel's current storyline is so interesting in itself that it really doesn't matter whether Oliver gets involved in it or not (though I think he will) and the question of whether Oliver is jealous of Sebastian or not is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. In general I think the shipper fandom is far too preoccupied with Oliver's jealousy....I mean, the man has a whole city to save, so why don't we let him be a hero, rather than over-analyzing every scene for signs of his putative jealousy concerning Felicity's relationship with Barry Allen!
    Last edited by evaba; 01-16-2014 at 09:46 AM.

  5. #20
    Forum Regular Arrowaddict22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 12
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    134
    The episode felt forced to me, and choppy. I usually love the soundtrack of each episode, and did not here the usually Arrow music. I missed hearing that. In one episode, Moira mentioned to someone (I think Laurel in Home Invasion??) that Oliver has not always been a good judge of character. That is so evident in this season. Oliver seems to take most people he meets at face value. It also seems that he has forgotten, that the Count and the "man in the mask" both said to him that someone powerful and wealthy wants him dead.
    I Loved the motorcycle stunts. I also liked the way they portrayed Roy, not understanding what is happening to him, and hiding it from Thea.

  6. #21
    Forum Regular badraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    454
    Well that was a great episode. Fantastic start to the back half of S2. It keep moving the storylines ahead and I can see just how intense they are going to be by the end. One of the best of the season IMO.

  7. #22
    Well, despite some Olicity scenes too forced. Yeah, I liked this episode. Blood kinda working with The Arrow, Laurel not being stupid (blessing that writers suddenly forgot that Laurel is smart and she's not Lana from Smallville), Laurel figured out some things in season 1 (prison case in firsts episodes) and I'm happy that she's trusting her instincts about Blood (which I found orphan story to Laurel too good to be true). And BTW, to those finding that Laurel was boring, annoying and so on... don't you ever remember that Oliver was not a so good guy before the Gambit trip? He was immature, he went to parties and didn't know what to do of his life, cheat. Seems that a lot of Arrow fans forgot that ! Laurel hasn't reached her island yet to become The Black Canary and I'm sure she will.

    Liked Diggle/Ollie scenes a lot, the show misses a lot of this at this time. Shrapnel guy... boring.

    But honestly, again, an Oliver jealous of seeing Felicity seeing Barry : I'm not buying it, that doesn't sound "him" and you can clearly see it on your screen. Felicity is just a partner, maybe friend but not potential girlfriend. IMO, getting Oliver involved in an another stupid love triangle will kill all the good things that the character has right now : a real goal, a real character developpement about values of lives, about friendship, about faith and determination (Mirakuru), respect of the others. If writers want to show some Oliver's love life, one night stand or just one girl works, but a love triangle between Laurel (Ollie still have feelings for her, don't forget it)/Oliver/Felicity would mean that Arrow just stepped down to Vampire Diaries quality level meaning nothing.

    Poor Slade, seeing him like that, that's so heartbreaking. Just can't believe he's just seeking revenge over Oliver just because Shado's dead, I hope Slade has a very good reason (much better than Shado's death) to have this plan to destroy Ollie.
    Last edited by cloisornothing; 01-16-2014 at 04:20 PM.

  8. #23
    It's the mileage... costas22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Posts
    76,303
    Quote Originally Posted by evaba View Post

    I frankly don't how the "Arrow" writers will be able to juggle TWO serious romantic/slow burn relationships without making Oliver's love life seem somewhat messy and erratic. Somewhere along the way I think that the showrunners have to decide whether Oliver and Felicity should remain "friends with tension" or if they should proceed with the slow burn. The risk is that if they inject more relationship drama, Olicity may lose some of its charm, since the aspect that many fans initially seemed to enjoy so much about them was the friendly banter and the easy companionship...
    The decision has been made, imo. Especially once Oliver called Barry to his Christmas party and set him up with Felicity. The rest is just teasing for the sake of it.

  9. #24
    Forum Whiz
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Posts
    749
    Fairly average episode. Would have liked to have seen Slade in the present. I guess after the initial ride into Season 2 things are now slowing down until the last few episodes...

  10. #25
    New In Town GreenJustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    11
    First post, hi to you all, a big fan from Israel

    I'm a bit dissapointed. In previous episodes there were some unclear plot moments (why Cyrus doesn't finish the job with unconscious Arrow and simply leaves him there helpless???....etc...etc....) - but this one tops it action scene-wise.

    1. Why Shrapnel doesn't just set the bomb off right away, or when spotted (all the people were already there, at least most of them, including Blood)? Well...this one is easier one, as it's the same question you can ask most Hollywood movies. Forgiven kitsch.
    2. Why bullets doesn't hurt Arrow? Ok, one can miss...even all shots...okey...but Arrow doesn't even seem to hide from the shots, just stand there...what Arrow knows about his suit that I don't?...
    3. Even "harder" question to ask - why, a skilled professional bomber which uses CELLULAR all over the episode for placing bombs - made an actual primitive wire to his personal detonator, and not made cellular one? Just to give Arrow a way to stop him? This looked so weird...forced upon the episode to give arrows something to do in a modern world. ...also how arrow can hit a wire from a moving target - that can move his hand when shot even a bit "faster than arrow" - and wire won't be cut? The price for miss would be hundreds of people dead...Accuracy thing I can accept - but this shot was out of his control after arrow leaves.
    4. How Arrow can change aim and not activate the bomb...how he can shoot the box faster than bomb activation goes? Movie magic I guess.
    Last edited by GreenJustice; 01-16-2014 at 11:24 AM.

  11. #26
    New In Town
    Join Date
    Dec 13
    Posts
    27
    Welcome to the forums, Green Justice!

    I will attempt to answer your concerns (somewhat tongue in cheek)...

    1. As you say, he hesitates because if he didn't the drama could not go on.

    2. Obviously Arrow has survived bullets before and is no longer afraid of them. i.e. God complex / sheer stupidity or bravery?

    3. Well, all professionals like to have a "failproof" backup, usually some sort of hardwire, for when the wireless doesn't work. perhaps his hand held trigger was his back because Diggle and Felicity were messing with his cellular triggers and he wanted to something failure proof. And as far as why could Arrow shoot it, he was too preoccupied with monologuing (how do you spell that?) to notice Arrow changing the aim of the arrow, so he did not try to dodge the shot. Not saying it is realistic, just saying, it could happen...

    4. In the scene where he is surrounded by red laser lines, I sort of assume breaking a laser line would set off the bomb (sorta like every other movie that uses similar tactics to set off alarms...), and changing aim did not set off the bomb, since he did not break the laser. On the other hand, it certainly looked like he thought it was motion activated, so no real answer other than: we are meant to believe he moves faster than can be detected?

    On another subject, I am hoping that Laurel gets redeemed this season, so that they can actually make use of her character as more than a background irritation. Seems like her role should be more central, based one what I know of the comics (most of which I know from these forums...) The entire Arrow befriending Blood / Laurel finding out he is "the Devil" is a tension setting storyline I enjoyed. Laurel getting it right, Arrow missing it entirely. Also I am liking "Detective" Lance a lot more as the show progresses.

  12. #27
    New In Town GreenJustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by MRF View Post
    God complex / sheer stupidity or bravery?
    Or just shooting script in hand

    he wanted to something failure proof
    Yeah...that was sure one failure proof idea...brilliant...against arrow-shooting sniper...Who surprisingly...shot an arrow It's amazing how villains of this show are still surprised by that move

  13. #28
    Taylor Swift Caught_In_The_Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    8,061
    9

    I thought it was pretty good. Shrapnel didn't seem too developed as "villain of the week". Hope we see him again.

  14. #29
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    229
    It was a good episode. Not as great as the previous one, but still good.
    Too bad there weren't more island flashbacks.

  15. #30
    I am the night Johntrek187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Location
    Gotham/Blüdehaven line
    Posts
    23
    Anyone catch a glimpse of Deathstroke in the preview for next week. I kinda liked what he looked like last season. Well the Billy Wintergreen interpretation. .. good episode overall. Not great but good. Moved the plot along at a brisk pace and had some cool fight scenes. He's bordering on Batman like bulletproof reflexes. I don't even see him dodge the shots. Hehe I think the reason Ollie's been taking people at their word this season is cause trust is a big part of becoming a hero and someone to aspire too. New mask looks much better with the hood than that quick reveal last episode. And does the mirakuru also shave ya and cut your hair. Slade is looking groomed and pissed. He has to find out the truth and misinterpret things. Looks like next week will reveal some more in current timeline. A lot more mentioning of Barry than I thought. Here's hopping he still somehow makes a cameo later this season. Anywho. My 2cents. Can't wait till next week. Oh. And roy is prime for kicking some peoples ass. Maybe settle some old scores from his days on the street. ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •