1 3.33%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Blow it up. Destroy it.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Blast Radius?"

Now that the server is back up.. .what did you think?

It's a solid start to the second half of S2.

The good: The Sebastian Blood story arc is intriguing. Ollie making friends (in both his civilian and vigilante roles) with Blood could be the big misstep he will pay for by end of season -- perhaps even more so than the mirakuru / Slade conspiracy, which I hope goes beyond S2. The subplot of Roy discovering the side effects of the serum was also good. And Laurel's involvement in unraveling Blood's secrets bodes well for her. And continuity-wise, it looks like she's relying on pain-killers so I guess her substance dependency and internal descent is continuing. The whole Blood thing may likely push her over the edge, making her question everything she believes to be true. I'm hoping all of this factors into her character's evolution. The Ollie - Felicity sparring was alright and I am glad they didn't leave it with unresolved jealousy or self-pity issues.

The bad: Not a fan when "Jealousy" guest stars on Arrow, especially when it involves Ollie or Slade. Shado's death will factor into Slade's eventual clash with Ollie and I fear that it will be the defining irritant when it comes to blows. I am glad that Slade's descent into madness isn't all at once but gradual -- though what is up with him running off with the mirakuru? As for the Ollie - Felicity spat, I think we can all agree Ollie started it and had a dumb reason to boot. What I didn't like is him invoking Barry as somehow the reason Felicity's mind wasn't in the game. Blech! Diggle was right, the blame game isn't going to do any good. And jealousy over Felicity's time with Barry was petty at best ... and engineered Arrow shipper friction at worst. I feel bad for Barry because he doesn't even get a say in all this.

I don't want to watch S2 Clark, Lana and Chloe picking fights all over again about who likes who more -- with Felicity, Barry and Ollie as their "Arrow" proxies. Keep such angst off-screen as much as possible, I say. The saving grace was that Ollie and Felicity handled it like adults and friends and resolved it, instead of brooding about it well into the second half (like his TV cousin in Kansas would have). She's his partner, he values her. I'm happy with that.

As for Roy - Thea, it looks like the secrets and lies game will continue, with Roy having to explain away his healing factor and superstrength. I want Roy to come clean with Thea, but somehow I don't see that happening until it's too late.

They've set the stage for an intriguing second half overall.

Settling In
    Didn't much care for this episode. The beginning went way too fast and there was too much laurel. It just didn't seem like the normal arrow episode. This was my least favorite episode thus far.

Settling In
    Also, how did the glasses penetrate Roys arm when an arrow couldn't even go through Cyrus?

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    Also, how did the glasses penetrate Roys arm when an arrow couldn't even go through Cyrus?
    The arrow had to go into Cyrus Gold since that is how they found out who he was from analyzing the blood on the tip of the arrow.

Another continuity glitch: Felicity talked about getting in touch with "Detective" Lance. Uh, he's still a uniform, demoted since the Undertaking. He's just an officer for now.

Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    Another continuity glitch: Felicity talked about getting in touch with "Detective" Lance. Uh, he's still a uniform, demoted since the Undertaking. He's just an officer for now.
    Felicity has always called him Detective Lance through out the whole season I guess she is just too used to calling him Detective that she calls him that without thinking.

Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by Halberdier17 View Post
    The arrow had to go into Cyrus Gold since that is how they found out who he was from analyzing the blood on the tip of the arrow.
    It bent when arrow tried stabbing him with it on the truck fight scene. They found out it was Cyrus because of the finger prints Barry got after Cyrus kicked Oliver's ass.
    Last edited by thatoneguy; 01-15-2014 at 08:33 PM.

I gave it a 7.

It was pretty good, still holding true to the good season we're getting so far, but it was a little lackluster compared to some of the others we've had.

Good stuff:

Barry mentions. Ollie wearing Barry's mask he made. Laurel not being completely fooled by Sebastian. More background into Slade and his little "transformation". Felicity getting up in Ollie's face when he was being a douche, "You want to pull your head out of your ass?" and "Were you apologizing to me or talking to your quiver?" As I said in the live thread, it's a good thing she's on this show or else it would be full of a suckfest of angsty female characters, except Sarah.

Gripes:

Diggle getting shot (seemed kind of random). Ollie being a douche. Thea/Laurel. Laurel still doing her little snippy digs at Ollie. Episode felt choppy to me at times.

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    It bent when arrow tried stabbing him with it on the truck fight scene. They found out it was Cyrus because of the finger prints Barry got after Cyrus kicked Oliver's ass.
    Oh yeah It has been a while since I saw "Three Ghosts"

Board Master
    Not a bad episode to return with.

Oliver starts off this second half wearing the mask Barry Allen made for him. He comes down on Felicity for not having her head in the game as she still thinking about Barry. His friendship with Sebastian Blood will become his undoing and that's due to Dinah Laurel doing something useful where she investigates him.

The Thea/ Roy continues to be interesting with Thea now learning about his newfound abilities that Sebastian Blood inject him with last episode. In the flashbacks, we get to see why Slade will become Deathstroke and why he becomes Oliver's arch-enemy.

A much better improvement into the new batch of episodes than last year's "Burned", imo. Knew Barry would end up in a coma, but I don't care for Ollie's jealousy.

It was an ok start to the second half of the season. Like Anno Domini said, much better than Burned this time last year. I expected this episode to be less eventuful than the last two so I won't hold that against it. It did a good job of setting up the plotlines for the last 13 episodes.

There's been a lot of talk about Olicity (and the showrunners won't exactly kill off the rumor for obvious reasons), but it's clearly not going anywhere romantic. So I do hope that they stop teasing anything in that direction. That would be my only gripe with this episode. It also turns Felicity into more of a dramatic character, making her no different than the other female characters of the show. Said difference was the reason I liked her in the first place. As for the arguement itself, I am leaning mostly towards Oliver's side because that misdirection by Felicity nearly killed him. The Central city jab wasn't necessary to get that point across though.

Anyway, it was nice to see Laurel back in the thick of things. I hope that's the true nature of her relationship with Blood and it doesn't turn into anything else.

7 out of 10.
    Last edited by costas22; 01-16-2014 at 05:22 AM.

New In Town
    This episode for me fell between a 6-7.

What surprised me the most - That Ollie owned up to choosing Sara on the island - my head cannon had told me that he didn't choose but rather threw himself in front of Sara cause she was the one that was going to be shot. Don't know how I feel about that (it was still an awful position to be in).

The awe shucks moments - There were several.
    Roy to Thea's how did I get so lucky - you stole my purse. This was the worst reason ever for them getting together but now in season 2 its kind nice that they realize that too, but that they are still together.
    Thea and Ollie at the club and Thea teasing that Roy came to work on time - Can we get more of these types of sibling moments please. Also Moira joining in the tease
    Laurel and Quentin - you know I am gonna wanna know why - you deserve good
    Oliver and Felicity - their final sequence for all sorts of reasons (their earlier spat felt a little forced though)

Not enough
    Explanation on the villain of the week, why etc. They do big bads like Slade and Blood so incredibly well so disappointing
    The team Arrow sequence at the plaza - All three of them in the field! to short and more of this in the future please
    Last edited by Ica013; 01-16-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Posting Pro

Mostly ranting...sorry!

I would give this episode a 7 out of ten, if only because Laurel had bit of a storyline and got to do something useful that is actually connected to the main plot. Otherwise this episode was kind of meh...or maybe it's just my enthusiasm about the show that is waning! So, of I may nitpick a bit, here are a few of my complaints...

1. I can't help but feel that the "Arrow" characters sometimes seem like they have mislaid their brains somewhere...I mean, a few episodes ago Thea and Roy were so suspicious concerning Sebastian Blood's "blood drive" that they went to Laurel and asked her for help to investigate him, and now both of them are attending his harebrained rally because they want to support his campaign??? Either they are suffering from temporary amnesia or Sebastian Blood is such a charismatic man that he manages to charm everyone into thinking that he is the best thing since sliced bread. In fact, the only one who hasn't lost her head over Blood is Laurel, who is supposed to be somewhat attracted to him! Even Oliver, who is usually quite on his guard, seems to have no problems believing that Sebastian Blood is a trustworthy, stand-up guy, despite the fact that he arranges a mass meeting although he knows that there is a crazy bomber on the loose. I understand that this gullibility (or lucidity, when it comes to Laurel) is all part of the plot, but I just don't like it when plot dictates character portrayal, rather than the other way around. I can't believe that the writers want us to think that everyone (except Laurel) is unable to see beyond Blood's smarmy exterior. For example, Quentin is usually very suspicious of Laurel's boyfriends, but with regards to Sebastian (who he knows nothing about) he almost seemed to try to convince Laurel that she shouldn't suspect him...

2. The Shrapnel is a good example of yet another underused villain of the week...in fact, he's just about as uninteresting as the crazy fireman in "Burned", who at least had a bit of backstory to explain his actions. In this ep Shrapnel was just a plot device, without any clear motives or even a small piece of backstory/story that would make him a bit more interesting to the viewers.

3. This isn't really a complaint, but an observation concerning the Olicity ship tease. I have come to expect that we will have a certain ratio of "Olicity moments" in every episode, and I know that the Oliver/Felicity "lovers' quarrel" (yep, that's how it was described on an online spoiler site) has set the tumblr and twitterverse afire with "feels" and declarations that "Oliver Queen is in love with Felicity Smoak. Head over heels in love with her" (an actual tumblr quote!). I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't see any love sparkles in the Oliver/Felicity scenes, at least not to warrant all this online shipper exaltation. It may be because I prefer Oliver and Laurel together, but I honestly didn't see much romance in the Laurel/Oliver scene together either, although they discussed Laurel's relationship with Sebastian. Now, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that the Oliver/Felicity interaction was much more fun and unforced in their earlier scenes, before the writers became so concerned or self-conscious about giving them a somewhat romantic subtext. I think part of my problem is that Felicity, as she is portrayed by Emily is a pretty matter of fact person (when she isn't flustered and socially awkward) and that's how she plays these more emotion-laden scenes with Oliver as well...in my eyes she just doesn't seem to be harboring a giant crush or passion for Oliver. This is not a complaint about Emily's acting, just a personal impression. As for Oliver, his behavior is somewhat ambiguous and I thinkt he writers want to keep it that way, to keep all doors open romance-wise: it is really open to interpretation whether he is jealous or only concerned about Felicity abandoning the team in a difficult hour or if his apology was a friendly one or the kind of apology you give after "a lovers' quarrel". Either way, the character who is really affected by all this teasing is Diggle, whose mayor role seems to be to stand by and prop Olicity...I mean, was I the only one who was disturbed that the "partner" reference seemed to mainly concern Felicity (since Digs had just left the Arrowcave), when it is DIGGLE who has been Oliver's trusted partner ever since the beginning of season one? It's OK if the showrunners want to please a big fan base by giving them some more Felicity/Oliver interaction, but it's kind of sad when a great character like Diggle gets demoted in the process. Before you start jumping on me, I have to emphasize that this is just my personal, biased opinion...others may have interpreted this scene in a different way.

4. Finally, it seems that the writers are ramping up the melodrama when it comes to the Sebastian Blood storyline...I mean the man is a regular psychopath, who serves everyone teardrenched stories about being an orphan who only wants to do good for the city, while he is in reality a murderer who killed his own father and is keeping his mother locked up in a lunatic asylum....and who is planning to take over the city with an army of Mirakuru-injected mad men! The way things are going this season, I get the feeling that some of the Count's Vertigo has found its way into the writers room!Of course, Malcolm Merlyn was a psychopath as well, so I guess they're just staying true to their own brand of melodramatic/comic book style storytelling.

Sorry about the rant, and if anyone feels like contesting my views/opinions, please feel free to do so! I'm hoping that the upcoming episodes will prove me wrong and turn out to be real BAMF good old "Arrow" storytelling!

Just a small addition...I am really excited about the Brother Blood storyline, Slade's involvement and Laurel's continued descent into hell, so from that POV this episode was a good preparation for things to come. I just felt that the story-telling was a inconsequential and rushed...however, that's a problem I've had with most of the season two episodes and storylines...the writers just seem to cram too much into a 45 minute episode.
    Last edited by evaba; 01-16-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast