Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "The Scientist?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed with all the comments! this episode was amazing and definitely completely unexpected with the Arrow/Roy relationship, Slade admitting that he has feelings for Shado (i think this is eluding to the fact that Slade is in love with Shado) and Slade getting injected with the Miracle serum and nearly dying, Moira finally threatening Malcolm with the Ra's Al Ghul easter egg and finally the spectacular ending in which Oliver nearly died once again and Barry Allen (The Flash) finds out Oliver is Arrow and Oliver in the next episode (season 2 episode 9 called ' Three Ghosts ') will have hallucinations about the 3 ghosts in his past (Slade, Shado and Sara Lance/Black Canary). Arrow just keeps getting better and better!!!!

the actor for Barry Allen was way better then expected and i think he is the perfect actor for Barry's role!!!

I also find it funny how most people are happy that Laurel Lance wasn't in this episode.

I heard that Barry Allen (The Flash) will only be on Arrow for 2 or 3 episodes, i wonder how this will affect Barry and Felicity as they are heading for a relationship together but if he is only here for 3 episodes it means that they can't be together...

Does this also mean that Brother Blood is behind the guy that nearly killed Oliver in the last fight scene where Oliver was injected with something and nearly dies? and does this also mean that there will finally been a fight Arrow vs Brother Blood !?

And Oliver said that he defeated someone who also had the Miracle serum injected into them which enhances their strength, speed and reflexes and we just found out that Slade was injected with the Miracle serum which gives enhances Slade's strength, speed and reflexes... which means that he defeated Slade before.. and we all know that Slade is WAY WAY WAY more stronger, faster than the guy that nearly killed Oliver when he was injected with something in the end of this episode so Oliver should of defeated the guy... (just saying)

Oliver only shot Roy with an Arrow because he has had first hand experience with both seeing and fighting someone who had the Miracle cure injected into them just like Sin's friend and he doesn't want Roy and Thea to get involved with this Miracle serum stuff as it could easily kill one of them (and Oliver doesn't want anyone, Roy and Thea to get hurt) so in order for Oliver to stop Roy and other people getting involved in this stuff, Oliver had to shoot Roy in the knee so he couldn't walk/move his legs and get involved with Miracle serum stuff so I understand where Oliver is coming from.
    Last edited by markom97; 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Another awesome episode, I gave it a 10. I'm glad I stopped trying to predict what would happen because these writers just keep out doing themselves each week. Really, really like Grant Gustin as Barry Allen and how they went into his background a little bit. I'm even more excited for his spin-off than I was before. The Barry/Felicity scenes were very well done and it was nice to see more attention placed on Felicity and her social life which was completely non-existent before. And Oliver did appear to be slightly jealous but didn't over do it, most likely because he had other things to worry about.

Someone above mentioned that Oliver seemed depressed the whole episode. Well IMO it was because he knew what that serum can do because he more than likely faced Slade on the island and probably thinks he killed him. I think his facial expressions showed a bit of pain looking back at his memories on the island mixed with the potential threat of another person with similar strength and abilities reeking havoc in Starling City. This also leads straight into the conflict between Oliver and Roy. Roy is on to something that Oliver already knows about. Roy shows that he's not going to back down on this one and Oliver knows that if Roy gets to close, there's a very good chance he ends up dead. So an arrow to the leg is a much better alternative than death for sure.

Now, onto to Cyrus Gold aka Solomon Grundy. I liked how they showcased his strength. It really seemed as realistic as possible. And boy did Oliver take a beating, twice. And of course the ending with Barry finding out Oliver is the Arrow and being faced with the challenge to save his life makes next week that much more harder to wait for. Barry obviously looks at the Arrow as a possible answer to his troubled past or at least sees the need for someone like him and wants learn more and more about him. Well he's about learn more than he probably ever thought he would.

And lastly, I loved how Moira threatened Malcolm with something he never saw coming, RA'S FREAKING AL GHUL. That story line right there is setting up to be epic later down the line. The League of Assassins looks to around for the foreseeable future.

Comment

It was an ok episode I felt. Nothing that really blew me away. The first half kind of dragged, but the second half picked up steam. Grant Gustin was pretty good at Barry and grew into the role as the episode moved along. Not too fond of the romantic stuff between him and Felicity but then again, Arrow rarely impresses me in that area. The ending with him joining team Arrow was very cool though.

The island scenes were quite dramatic. I doubt Slade is dead, but one has to wonder when we'll see him again and in what fashion.

Wasn't expecting to see Barrowman this week, so that was a pleasant surprise. Likewise, I wonder when he'll be back.

I'll be honest. I did miss Laurel. Or at least my eyes did.

Oliver shooting Roy was just...

Can't wait for next week. Hopefully some questions we'll be answered as the separate storylines start getting tied together.

7 out of 10.

Comment

Wait someone missed Laurel?

I though Arrow shot Roy... are you saying he mistook his gender?!

Sorry couldn't resist!

Comment

Felicity was glowing every time Barry was around. Seeing Ollie getting his behind handed to him by a super powered guy reminded me of SMALLVILLE.

Great EP. Can't wait for next week.

[edit] I missed Laurel not being in the EP. *shrug*

[add] And yeah the arrow to Roy's knee was a LMAOROFL moment.
            Last edited by Caught_In_The_Sun; 12-05-2013, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Agree with most of the comments. I liked the intro of Barry and I liked that Felicity was able to just 'be smitten' if only for a couple of moments before things went south. The party was a disaster and I couldn't but help feel bad for Oliver.

Couple of WTF moments. Moria and Malcolm - so Moria has known about the League of Assassins and was able to put two and two together when Malcolm let it slip that he went to Narda Parbat. Very unexpected.

Oliver shooting Roy.

Barry being introduced to the lair. While I understand that really moves the story along and gives Barry something to do next week, I'm not entirely sold on that story point. I mean last week QC was able to get a non addictive treatment to vertigo out in record time. Felicity has also gotten toxicology screens on blood work more than once plus you know she has that Friend at QC in the chemistry department. Also why not just take the busted up computer with them? Considering what information Felicity was able to get off a bullet ridden laptop?

(These types of lapses in continuity bug the heck out me).

But then again since Diggle's suggestion was to take Oliver to a hospital maybe Barry was the best option. Hopefully Oliver isn't too mad that someone's in on his secret (better Barry than the whole city I guess). Interested to see how that all plays out next week.

I am looking forward to more Moira and Isabel in future episodes, their stare down wasn't nearly long enough. I am also hoping that the writing for Thea is a little more consistent in the second half of the season, I still have hope for her (unlike someone else who is going to remain nameless)

I also liked the call back to earlier insinuations that Felicity's job as Oliver's EA meant big $$$$$$ - she put that to rest by saying it wasn't that great. The Olicity stuff - this episode I think goes a ways to further showing how deep their friendship has grown and I like that more than the 'romance' side of things at the moment.

Despite my gripes - I enjoyed the episode. 8/10
              Last edited by Ica013; 12-06-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Another great episode. 9 out of 10 for me. Pretty much everything was top-notch. The only thing that underwhelmed me was Bary Allen. I wasn't impressed w/the actor cast as The Flash before 2X08 and nothing in the ep. changed that opinion. Can't wait for 2X09!

Comment

Liked the episode. Was wonderful to see Moira get one up on Malcolm. The fight scene with Oliver and the masked guy was really cool and it was fairly amusing watching Oliver got tossed around like a doll. It will be interesting to see either in a flashback or potentially the next episode how Oliver can beat someone like that. Barry and Felicity were sweet. Also, Thea looked amazing at the party.

Also, with regard to the Island storyline, I hope we find out eventually who wanted to destroy Chinas economy because I'm really uninterested in this seasons Island storyline.
                  Last edited by Quark; 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ica013
                    I am also hoping that the writing for Thea is a little more consistent in the second half of the season, I still have hope for her (unlike someone else who is going to remain nameless)
                    I get the feeling I'm the one he's talking about.... Yes, I'm grinning at that. What can I say? Creatively speaking, it seems like a major possibility. Besides, I'd like to point out that back when we were all guessing about who would die in the finale, I posted Tommy as the most likely, and ended up being right. What's more, I suggested he'd be in the Glades and thus Malcolm would end up having killed his son. That said, the Arrow writers are remarkably unpredictable, one of the reasons I love this show so much. So if Thea doesn't die, I'm not gonna flip out about it. If she survives, I hope she has a decent story arc for the second half other than finding out who were bio-dad is and turning back into emo-girl from Season 1. Sorry, that happens, and I'll be begging for her to die in the Season 2 finale.

Now, some more thoughts on the episode in general. I will admit to being very disappointed in the whole 'Slade has feelings for Shado' bit. I thought that might be the case originally, but with what he was saying to Oliver I'd started to believe that it was because he felt attachments were a weakness (something he had spoken of before, in Season 1, of how everyone is in this life for themselves). To retcon that and make it a jealousy issue is, in my opinion, demeaning to the character of Slade.

@Quark: I don't think we're going to see Ollie's fight with a metahuman on the Island in the next episode. My guess is it'll be in the Season 2 finale. That will give them something to build towards on the Island storyline.

Oliver mentioned in this episode that the last person he fought who was a metahuman, he burned, which coincides with the whole 'burnt Deathstroke mask/gravemarker' we've seen in the opener of the last two seasons. But I doubt Deathstroke is dead; in fact, I'd guess that if Team Island destroyed the Miraculo drug and anyone who could distribute it, then the only way Blood can have it is if he has a connection to someone from the Island. That, in my opinion, leaves only one man: Deathstroke. Both Blood and Deathstroke have connections to HIVE, which has already been mentioned this season. It is a good way to tie not only the season storylines, but also Diggle's personal storyline regarding the death of his brother, and the mystery surrounding why Andrew Diggle was targeted, together.

Comment

I also like Grant as Barry, although I'm going to hold my final judgment until the next week episode

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                        I get the feeling I'm the one he's talking about.... Yes, I'm grinning at that. What can I say? Creatively speaking, it seems like a major possibility. Besides, I'd like to point out that back when we were all guessing about who would die in the finale, I posted Tommy as the most likely, and ended up being right. What's more, I suggested he'd be in the Glades and thus Malcolm would end up having killed his son. That said, the Arrow writers are remarkably unpredictable, one of the reasons I love this show so much. So if Thea doesn't die, I'm not gonna flip out about it. If she survives, I hope she has a decent story arc for the second half other than finding out who were bio-dad is and turning back into emo-girl from Season 1. Sorry, that happens, and I'll be begging for her to die in the Season 2 finale.

Now, some more thoughts on the episode in general. I will admit to being very disappointed in the whole 'Slade has feelings for Shado' bit. I thought that might be the case originally, but with what he was saying to Oliver I'd started to believe that it was because he felt attachments were a weakness (something he had spoken of before, in Season 1, of how everyone is in this life for themselves). To retcon that and make it a jealousy issue is, in my opinion, demeaning to the character of Slade.

@Quark: I don't think we're going to see Ollie's fight with a metahuman on the Island in the next episode. My guess is it'll be in the Season 2 finale. That will give them something to build towards on the Island storyline.

Oliver mentioned in this episode that the last person he fought who was a metahuman, he burned, which coincides with the whole 'burnt Deathstroke mask/gravemarker' we've seen in the opener of the last two seasons. But I doubt Deathstroke is dead; in fact, I'd guess that if Team Island destroyed the Miraculo drug and anyone who could distribute it, then the only way Blood can have it is if he has a connection to someone from the Island. That, in my opinion, leaves only one man: Deathstroke. Both Blood and Deathstroke have connections to HIVE, which has already been mentioned this season. It is a good way to tie not only the season storylines, but also Diggle's personal storyline regarding the death of his brother, and the mystery surrounding why Andrew Diggle was targeted, together.
                        When I said we will potentially see Oliver fight a metahuman the next episode I meant in the present. Also, maybe I heard it wrong, but I thought Oliver said he burnt all the miracle serums in the submarine rather than the metahuman he killed.

Comment

I liked the ep.

Some random thoughts:

Barry Allen - I liked the character. He reminds me of Spider Man for some reason, like a fun guy, not a dark and gritty guy. This is good, imo. It was funny how fast he put together the entire team arrow thing in casual conversation with Felicity. She was really hoping he would drop the subject. The kid is obviously very smart, and really quick at putting two and two together.

Felicity - Glad she and BA hit it off. I doubt either of them meet people at their same level of intelligence, so it was funny watching them interact. It was also nice to see her stand up to Diggle, and stop the 911 call. It would be a disaster if Ollie was exposed as Green Arrow. Think about Queen Consolidated. What would the talk be, about a mass murderer and her deadly vigilante son? That would wreck QC pretty quickly.

Moira - Wow, she quickly establishes herself as a force to be reckoned with. I like that she doesn't care what anybody in the city thinks about her. It's going to help. I sense a history between her and Rochev. With Oliver poisoned, looks like Mom is going to have to show up at work and keep this woman under control. She really delivered a smack down on Malcolm. I was happy to see it. In fact, she may have dispatched the Dark Archer without Arrow even knowing he was still alive Take that you old season one big bad, this is season two and mom rocks!

Diggle/Team Arrow - Not sure who darted Barry, but it seemed unnecessary. Maybe they did that so he couldn't go back home, which was his original intention. They didn't know he missed his train. But it still seems a little over the top, the guy probably would have jumped at the chance to help them.

Roy - They better show dude on a couch with his leg in a cast, playing Skyrim. Honestly, I don't think the arrow went thru his knee. That could be a permanent injury. I think it went thru the meaty part on the upper leg. Having been thru a knee surgery, that would sideline the guy for a few months. I doubt they intend to do that. Roy is really getting anxious to be a part of helping Arrow, I wish Arrow would let him help more. This whole idea that Arrow shot him to keep him from getting hurt is, on the face of it, crazy. He hurt him to keep him from getting hurt? Maybe that is why he did it, but it's still crazy. Roy said, "I've got friends". Who would those be? Sin, Thea, and some miscellaneous street types? Yipes, maybe that really is why Ollie did that, because even Sara could be dragged back into it if Sin is involved.

Oliver - Some people are saying he was jealous of Felicity and Barry. That never occured to me, it seemed he was more worried about somebody snooping around and discovering he is the Vigilante. Well, too bad OQ, it happened anyway. I remember it was Felicity that was brought in when Ollie was gonna die in the previous season. As Arrow, Ollie was incredible in this episode. He was being pounded fairly hard, but fighting like his life depended on it. I just wish he would have put more distance between himself and that monster when he shot his feet into the ground.

Malcolm - I'm really glad he is leaving. There is no way the team can deal with this guy right now with everything else going on. Does anybody else think that these Malcolm scenes were filmed last season, when he was still very much involved with the show?

Island Team - Well, it was too good to be true. Maybe Slade will pull thru this mess somehow, I hope he does. Shado was suspicious of Sara. That was a good thing, because Sara probably betrayed them. Hopefully not, but it is not outside possibility. I found it curious that nobody was left to watch guard of the submarine. Guess they may all be on the boat again soon? Or maybe not, Ivo may want to kill them on the island.

Comment

Best episode yet, and that's saying something in such a good season. I love how the present and island stories are coming together so well. Arrow fighting the big super strong villain was a fantastic scene- both fights were so well done by all concerned. I love how real it all still felt despite the show finally starting to add super powers to the mix.
                            Grant was fantastic as Barry Allen. I think he totally nailed Barry's character and I am now even more excited for his own show than I already was. Loved all the DC references and especially liked Moira being able to use Ra's to fight back against Malcolm. I cannot wait for next week and Ollie finally putting on a mask.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk777
                              Roy - They better show dude on a couch with his leg in a cast, playing Skyrim. Honestly, I don't think the arrow went thru his knee. That could be a permanent injury. I think it went thru the meaty part on the upper leg. Having been thru a knee surgery, that would sideline the guy for a few months. I doubt they intend to do that. Roy is really getting anxious to be a part of helping Arrow, I wish Arrow would let him help more. This whole idea that Arrow shot him to keep him from getting hurt is, on the face of it, crazy. He hurt him to keep him from getting hurt? Maybe that is why he did it, but it's still crazy. Roy said, "I've got friends". Who would those be? Sin, Thea, and some miscellaneous street types? Yipes, maybe that really is why Ollie did that, because even Sara could be dragged back into it if Sin is involved.
                              My interpretation is that he hurt Roy to keep Roy from getting Thea hurt.

Comment

It was a pretty good episode. I thought the presence of Barry might overwhelm the entire episode, but he didn't. Not only that, were there not sparks between him and resident computer guru Felicity? If it means that Felicity will have a life outside of the Arrow (club) cave, I'm all for it. This would be the biggest advantage, IMHO. Also -- yes, I'm going there -- that she has a potential love interest other than Oliver Queen

(It's still early so I don't even expect Ollie to find his series "soul mate" this season or even next one.)

As an aside, both Thea and Felicity rocked their cocktail dresses.

I liked how Ollie's island quest for that super-soldier serum connected with the current incident with the centrifuge theft. How they're handling Deathstroke is IMO how the villains on Arrow should be written.

Moira's reveal about tattling on Malcolm to Ra's Al Ghul -- amazing! Malcolm thought he was the big fish still, but after that, he's just a big fish in a small pond. Will Malcolm will be spending the rest of the season dodging Ra's attempts to thwart him (or come hat in hand to get back into his good graces)?

Laurel had a big presence in the trial, so her absence here is not that surprising since this ep. was going to be Barry Allen's entry in the Arrow universe. While I didn't miss her from this episode, I would miss her from the series.

I still want to believe/hope that TPTB are breaking down Laurel, giving her setback after setback, for a reason. That they have an endgame that, by series end, leads to the Black Canary.

The caveat is: if not, then Ra's Al Ghul has my blessing to lay waste to Starling City.

On the surface, Ollie shooting Roy was shocking. Roy was only trying to help ... and it's not like he was rogue, he previously had the consent of "The Vigilante". But going forward, Ollie and Roy would always have a rocky relationship even when Roy becomes the Red Arrow in the future, so an incident like this will be 'fuel to the fire': something Roy will throw in Ollie's face when they have a difference of opinion down the line. In a nutshell: it's bad on the surface, but will be a catalyst for spades of Ollie-Roy drama going forward.

A solid 8/10
                                Last edited by President_Luthor; 12-05-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎