2 14.29%

2 14.29%

2 14.29%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - WELL That sucked.

1 7.14%

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of The Well?

What did you think?

Forum Whiz
    Very good episode. Saying it tied into Thor 2 based on the tacked on scene at the beginning was a bit of a cheat, but it still works.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't anything I'd classify as great television, but there were moments in it that I really liked a lot, and I count them as steps in the right direction.

Positives:

1: Peter MacNicol rules. He is so good and they kept him alive, which means he could come back.

2: I didn't love the story behind Grant's freak out, but one thing I've complained about in the past is the character coming across as a bit boring and lifeless. Brett Dalton was allowed a little breathing room here and I thought he did an excellent job with it. Again, I'm talking about his acting, not the story behind it.

3: When May leaves her door open for Ward at the end, THAT'S the kind of moment that this series hasn't been willing to shoot for in the previous episodes. It makes sense with everything that is going on, but is a risk. It's not the easy way out, which might have been Ward opening up to Skye.

4: I'm tempted to put Coulson trusting Ward in the negatives category, because it's mostly a terrible move that only works in fiction, like when cops or secret agents get to stay on the case even when "it's personal". However, the writers used that angle to help Coulson teach Skye the meaning of real trust. It rings a little hollow, since he continues to trust her no matter what, but it addresses a flaw of one of the characters and connects to a consistent theme of this first season, so they get points for it.

5: Ming-Na Wen continues to prove why she's the MVP of the main cast.

Negatives:

1: Coulson's backstory needs to go somewhere or not be mentioned. Bringing it up over and over without providing any new information is just irritating.

2: I didn't love the idea of Coulson massaging the Asgardian's heart long enough for his body to heal. I understand they offered an explanation for why it worked, but I just don't buy it. I don't buy that Coulson would think to do it, would be able to do it by just "feeling his way around inside", or that it would work without causing even more damage than the weapon.

3: That did not link up with Thor 2 in any meaningful way. Advertising it that way was a cheap trick.

4: The story behind Grant's horrendous childhood is not resonating on a terribly dramatic level. One scene played over and over again isn't going to convince the audience to feel for a character they know by showing us three actors we don't know play out a single event we have no context for whatsoever. If you want the audience to feel what Grant is feeling, you need more of a buildup. You need to get the audience to connect to what's happening in the flashback. It can't be some abstract horrible moment poorly acted by a bunch of kids we don't even know.

5: The villains. I realize the story wasn't about them, but they could have tried a little.

I gave it a 7/10, mostly because I consider positive momentum a good thing for a show that has struggled to find any real identity. Plus, it had Peter MacNicol.

Finally, some great character development! For me this episode was one of the more enjoyable ones of the season. That part at the end with May and Ward - fantastic scene. I wish Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. had more like it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    I enjoyed it. It wasn't anything I'd classify as great television, but there were moments in it that I really liked a lot, and I count them as steps in the right direction.

2: I didn't love the idea of Coulson massaging the Asgardian's heart long enough for his body to heal. I understand they offered an explanation for why it worked, but I just don't buy it. I don't buy that Coulson would think to do it, would be able to do it by just "feeling his way around inside", or that it would work without causing even more damage than the weapon.
    Maybe there is some connection to the way Coulson was brought back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
    Maybe there is some connection to the way Coulson was brought back to life.
    Yeah, that's probably/possibly true, but it just seemed too fanciful to me. He didn't even know where the guy's heart was. He just stuck his hand in the open wound and felt around. That's not medicine. Honestly, I would have been more impressed if Simmons, who has been shown to have a medical background, did it herself.

They actually had an episode of M*A*S*H where Hawkeye performed a similar procedure. In the timeline of the show, it wasn't something that medical science knew a lot about at the time, but I bought it because Hawkeye was a well respected surgeon who knew where the guy's heart was before he went in.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 11-20-2013 at 06:08 PM.

This was an okay episode, nothing earth-shattering. I did like the scene at the end with Ward and May and I'm glad they didn't go the predictable route: Ward bawling his eyes out with Skye. Skye offered a sympathetic ear to him earlier, but Ward blew her off (as well as the others) when the Asgardian rage was taking hold of him. They really needed a more thorough flashback scene, to get the sense of how tragic it was for him. It would have made that last scene with him and May ever better.

Coulson is becoming more aware that something's not right, but it's repetitive. Either show a bit more revelations about what's truly going on with him, or rule it out as post-traumatic stress, etc.

The tag line up here for S.H.I.E.L.D. is the "must-watch" series of the season. I find that a bit of a stretch, but I do see it as the "must-watch Ming Na Wen in it" series this season. She has very few lines, but she's running circles around other supporting cast members. She's amazing.

Proffessor Speedforce indy1jones2's Avatar
    I liked it. It was good.

New In Town
    it was a great episode....loved the May/Ward ending shock value route they went to.....totally didn't see that coming....needed more flashback of Ward's childhood trauma...looking forward to seeing what May's worst trauma was when she touched the staff...(hopefully they show us in the next episode)...great acting accolade went to Brett Dalton and off course without saying Ming-Na Wen....Coulson's death/resurrection needs to come into light soon...it's getting repetitive a bit....that scene at the end there when Coulson was dreaming...do u guys think maybe that's when S.H.I.E.L.D first activates him...if he is indeed a real life decoy model....
    Last edited by bluestriker666; 11-20-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Incurable Postaholic DA_Champion's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    I'm watching it now and thus far it's a better episode. I'm not surprised, given that Jonathan Frakes was the director. He's really good.

"Silicon carbide coated vibranium alloy" - lol, the technobabble on this show reminds me of the worst excesses of Star Trek.

Done with the episode, it was ok.

Does anybody know why they hate lighting on this show?

"Did I fall asleep?"
    "For a little while"

I loved the dollhouse reference at the end :-) I wonder if that's a clue to Coulson's resurrection?
    Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-20-2013 at 11:53 PM.

1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    So this episode had promise but sort of didn't fulfill it, IMO.

I did like Ward calling Fitz "little monkey". Cute. It shows that they have bonded since being thrown together.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    3: That did not link up with Thor 2 in any meaningful way. Advertising it that way was a cheap trick.
    Agreed. I was a little worried that I would be lost (won't get to see Thor 2 for a while) but I didn't really have to worry.
    I did enjoy Coulson's. "If Thor and his people sent down the God of Cleaning Up after Yourself" snark though. And the girls thinking Thor is dreamy. Also, Thor's "off the grid"? Man, they need a way to contact him if needed.

So...the Norway guys were speaking English. To each other. When no one else was around? Um, yeah, I think we can handle subtitles for that little bit, ABC. When the dudes were talking to SHIELD, okay, yes, English. But to each other? It would be in their native language.

"Let's see what we can dig up. See what I did there?" That felt a little off for Coulson. He's usually more clever than that.

Ward raging. I have to admit, it was nice to see him actually have an emotion besides irritation but I still am unclear as to what set him off. I thought, at first, that he was the kid in the Well. But no, he was the one up top? And a bully came along and said he'd push Ward in if he helped the drowning kid? What? Too confusing, IMO.

"No, I don't know Thor." "You may not know Thor, but I do." cute.

Ward going 'berserker' rage (oh, how I was hoping for a sly/subtle Wolverine joke!) and taking everyone out. And then May to the rescue. She controlled the staff, it did not control her.
    5: Ming-Na Wen continues to prove why she's the MVP of the main cast.
    This. She was so impressive in those battle scenes and then her pain later (when she left the door open for Ward--and did they just share a drink or something more?) was clearly evident.

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
    "Did I fall asleep?"
    "For a little while"
    I loved the dollhouse reference at the end I wonder if that's a clue to Coulson's resurrection?
    I loved it too and couldn't figure out if it was just a cute allusion or meant to give us a clue as to Coulson's return.

Oh and the other thing, I do wish we'd delved more into the Norse pagan thing. I mean, there are actual Pagans who worship the Norse Gods nowadays. The idea of the "Gods" coming to Earth and showing themselves and what the Pagans reactions would be was worth exploring more in depth, I thought. Instead, we barely scratched that (what did they think of Loki and his attempt at conquest, for example?).

Forum Regular
    'The Well' is a good episode. There is this staff which cause great rage in those who hold it. Grant is having trouble because of an event that Grant doesn't want to remember. Somehow May was able to control the staff because of something that happen to her. What has happen to them, and what are the effect of it happening? Only a future episode can tell us.

Great episode, loved the Deep Space 9 reference, between Simmons and the Berserker, though it was likely unintentional. I can not wait for May' s episode next week. Ward got some good development this week. I am surprised how downplayed Skye is becoming. At this point I would say Clark Gregg, Ming-na, and Elizabeth Henstridge are the strongest of the cast, and Chloe Bennet being the weakest though she is not terrible.