Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
    Luke had no training. He had the equivalent of a five-minute devotional in the middle of an Upward Basketball game. Also, not to repeat everything BG said, but the only things? Blowing up the Death Star with a one-in-a-million shot is a pretty big deal. Rey didn't even do that.

I didn't mention Anakin, but since you did, we're told that Anakin has high Force aptitude. This explains why he can do things the average person can't. We're also told Rey is strong with the Force. Kylo says it outright. We're also shown this explicitly. This explains all we need to know for now about why she can do things the average person can't. She doesn't have to be a Skywalker to be strong with the Force.
    Why does Rey have to be a Skywalker to be strong with the Force? I guess we will have to wait for the next movie to see if the question of her family history is answered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
      Rey is quite obviously very powerful in the Force. We're explicitly told this by Kylo Ren. She's also most likely a Skywalker, probably Luke's own kid. And that's basically been my point from the beginning... that she's a carbon copy of Luke and Anakin but getting more crap for it because she's a woman.

I also disagree with your interpretation of Anakin's success in the starfighter as being "accidental". That doesn't jive with the fact that he almost single-handedly won the space battle. I believe we are meant to interpret him as being naive, but that he's unconsciously so in tune with the Force that he instinctually knows what to do just when he needs to do it, even if he's not quite sure how.
      Which is probably why Rey is able to pilot the Falcon so well. I personally like that the person strong with the force it TFA is a female. Also did anyone notice that Han offers Rey a job on the Falcon just like He offered Luke a job on the Falcon in ANH. Han to Luke, come with me, I could use you on the Falcon, your good in a fight or something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by supercatmom
        Why does Rey have to be a Skywalker to be strong with the Force? I guess we will have to wait for the next movie to see if the question of her family history is answered.
        I didn't say she does.

Comment

• Originally posted by supercatmom
          She doesn't have to be, but I'm going to assume she is one based on Maz Kanata's line about the lightsaber calling to Rey. Until she's not, I think I'm going to assume she is.

Also did anyone notice that Han offers Rey a job on the Falcon just like He offered Luke a job on the Falcon in ANH. Han to Luke, come with me, I could use you on the Falcon, your good in a fight or something like that.
          I didn't notice that. Interesting...

Comment

• I finally read Film Critic Hulk's piece on star wars the force awakens.

It's excellent, makes a lot of great points. A lot of the points will be familiar to posters here, but Hulk frequently went to greater detail.

Next up: I'm going to read the most upvoted comments.

ETA: I liked this comment:
            Originally posted by fishnets
            Biggest problem with that ending is most people are (wrongly) assuming she is his daughter and have built obsession with it. 95% of Rey discussion is who they think is her daddy. That's pretty bad thing that no one has anything to say about her but more about whoever they think spawned her.
            Last edited by DA_Champion; 07-11-2016, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• There are some valid points in there, but I couldn't finish the entire piece. Whoever HULK is in real life, he needs an editor, because he uses about a million words more than are necessary to say simple things. In a review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, he uses 2,777 words, or 15,893 characters, BEFORE he writes this line:

ARE WE READY TO TALK ABOUT THIS MOVIE NOW?
              It's like we're back in time and he's getting paid by the word.

Comment

• I just saw Episode 7 on DVD. I hate to post this, but it wasn't my Star Wars. It would been better if none of the characters from the first 3 Star Wars movies appear in this movie. That's what I think.

Comment

• Reflecting over the Joss Whedon business, I find myself wondering if something similar will eventually go down with J.J. Abrams.

It's been documented that, on Daisy Ridley's first day on TFA, she almost quit because of his behavior. Apprently, she was struggling a bit. And Abrams responded by walking up to her and, in front of the whole crew, berated her. He didn't take her aside and speak to her calmly.

On a TFA and Joss Whedon-related matter. Whedon has claimed to understand women, better than women. None of the three Rey-centric pictures had any credited female writers (unlike the original trilogy. One of the credited writers for ESB was a woman. She didn't write the final draft, due to being dead, but she wrote the skeleton of the movie. She was also a noted science fiction writer herself, and co-wrote several other films. Some of which have been included in the library of congress). Ever since I discovered that, I've pictured the writers' room for the sequel trilogy having a "no girls allowed" sign on the door. Like on a little boy's treehouse. Compare it to The Clone Wars, The Bad Batch, Rebels, The Mandalorian and now Book of Boba Fett. Several of those have female writers in the writers' room. Or female directors (even if the project has no credited female writer). Realize that the episodes introducing both Cara Dune and Bo-Katan (in live action) were directed by Bryce Dallas Howard.

Then there's John Boyega's criticism about the films handling of black men, which I thought about, while watching the John Rocha video about the Joss Whedon business. Where it's brought up that Zack Snyder sought advise from Ray Fisher, to get an accurate depiction of black men (with Snyder admitting that, as a white guy, he was no expert on the experiences of black men), while Whedon dismissed Fisher's input.

I've never seen Star Trek Into Darkness, but I know that there were controversies relating to the whitewashing of Khan and Alice Eve stripping down to her underwear.
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 01-20-2022, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                    Reflecting over the Joss Whedon business, I find myself wondering if something similar will eventually go down with J.J. Abrams.

It's been documented that, on Daisy Ridley's first day on TFA, she almost quit because of his behavior. Apprently, she was struggling a bit. And Abrams responded by walking up to her and, in front of the whole crew, berated her. He didn't take her aside and speak to her calmly.

On a TFA and Joss Whedon-related matter. Whedon has claimed to understand women, better than women. None of the three Rey-centric pictures had any credited female writers (unlike the original trilogy. One of the credited writers for ESB was a woman. She didn't write the final draft, due to being dead, but she wrote the skeleton of the movie. She was also a noted science fiction writer herself, and co-wrote several other films. Some of which have been included in the library of congress). Ever since I discovered that, I've pictured the writers' room for the sequel trilogy having a "no girls allowed" sign on the door. Like on a little boy's treehouse. Compare it to The Clone Wars, The Bad Batch, Rebels, The Mandalorian and now Book of Boba Fett. Several of those have female writers in the writers' room. Or female directors (even if the project has no credited female writer). Realize that the episodes introducing both Cara Dune and Bo-Katan (in live action) were directed by Bryce Dallas Howard.

Then there's John Boyega's criticism about the films handling of black men, which I thought about, while watching the John Rocha video about the Joss Whedon business. Where it's brought up that Zack Snyder sought advise from Ray Fisher, to get an accurate depiction of black men (with Snyder admitting that, as a white guy, he was no expert on the experiences of black men), while Whedon dismissed Fisher's input.

I've never seen Star Trek Into Darkness, but I know that there were controversies relating to the whitewashing of Khan and Alice Eve stripping down to her underwear.
                    I don't really agree with that, in that way. As far as I know, these movies had a female overseeing their process in Kathleen Kennedy and I haven't gotten the impression that she was against any of what they did with the female characters, based on what, admittedly not much, I've seen.

I think JJ's movies had the stronger depictions of Rey as a character, than TLJ.

I don't agree in needing someone elses input in writing a story, like that. I also don't see how Cyborg is depicted in the Snydercut as being different than how I think a white person would act in that scenario. I don't see why racial differences would equal a difference, as a person. And I think Whedon is generally a less than interactive person, like that.

Comment

• Reading JJ Abrams' Wikipedia article, and it struck me how much JJ's own life might reflect the characterization of Rey. Fun fact: the full name of JJ Abrams is Jeffrey Jacob Abrams.

JJ's father was a television producer. And JJ's mother was a television and film producer. JJ Abrams was born an industry insider, basically. He enrolled at Sarah Lawrence College, because his father told him.

JJ's first gig in the movie business was as composer for the movie Nightbeast (1982), when he was 16-years-old.

In his senior year of college, JJ sold a film treatment to Touchstone Pictures (Taking Care of Business, 1990). Wild guess: he had an in, thanks to mommy and daddy's connections.

Has he had any struggles in life? What obstacles has he had to overcome to get where he is?

Compare this to George Lucas (who created Luke. Lucas, Luke. Get it?). He was born and raised in Modesto. His father owned a stationery store (that the father wanted George to work at, when he turned 18). No idea what George's mother did, but let's move on. George had no interest in joining his father's business, and had many interests (including racing cars). He attended Modesto Junior College (where he studied a variety of subjects), before a friend of his adviced him to transfer to University of Southern California. As I understand it, George had barely thought about becoming a filmmaker. After gradutating, he tried and failed to join the Air Force, and quickly rejoined USC as a graduate student in film production. Working with short films, he won a scholarship with Warner Brothers, and got to visit the set of a film being directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

In 1969, George and Coppola co-founded American Zoetrope. Two years later, the studio released George's first feature-film THX 1138 (1971). Distributor Warner Brothers disliked the film, which ended up bombing. The failiure of TXH 1138 killed the projects for many other filmmakers, who were involved with American Zoetrope. George ended up being exiled from Hollywood for a while, before being brought back by Coppola (then hot after the success of The Godfather). George got to direct and co-write the successful film American Graffiti (1973), but getting it made and distributed involved obstacles.

It was after success of American Graffiti, that George got to make Star Wars... which every studio but one turned down.

I'm not writing this to bash JJ Abrams. I'm just thinking about how the lives of George Lucas and Jeffrey Jacob Abrams reflects on their respective creations Luke and Rey.

George faced obstacles in his life, starting with breaking free from what his father thought he should do with his life (George Walton Lucas Sr. = Uncles Owen?). Dealing with failiure and rejections, and, no doubt, self-doubt. Downright defeated and humiliation. And we see that reflected in Luke (whose name is close to "Lucas"). Luke has to break free from a father-figure. He has to overcome obstacles, failiures, defeats and self-doubt, while on his hero's journey.

JJ was born to industry insiders. Did what his father told him, rather than breaking free and go his own path (might never have defied his parents, for all we know). Likely thanks to family connections, sold his first film treatment to a major studio while still in college, as opposed to having to deal with rejections and struggle just to get into the business. He faced no obstacles. Now, look at Rey (whose name happens to be the last three letters in JJ's first name). Everything comes easy to her. She doesn't have to fight for stuff or have to overcome obstacles. Never deals with crippling defeat. She was a scavanger on Jakku, but clearly could've left the planet whenever she wanted (unlike young Luke and Anakin, who were forced to stay on Tattooine, by people with power over them), and we don't get the impression that she suffers much or is miserable because of being there.

Basically, Luke and Rey and reflection of the men who created them.
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 07-15-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Tried rewatching this film recently. Couldn't make it through. It's basically a remake of A New Hope, with less interesting derivative characters. Luke Skywalker's appearance was kept to a minumum, because a screenwriter felt that Rey ceased being interesting, once he showed up. It makes you wonder how much all the characters were adjusted, to try and make sure that Rey would be the most interesting one. And you can't really control who or what the audience will find interesting. I also don't get close to Rey as a character. She lives as a scavanger on Jakku, but it feels like she could've just left whenever she felt like it. Nobody was keeping her there. Her sole motivation for being there was waiting for her parents to come back (after 10+ years, you'd think she would've given up). She considers the Falcon garbage, until finding out that it's the Millenium Falcon (and, suddenly, appreciates it). Han Solo is a father figure to her... when she's only known him for a few hours.

I feel that the sequel trilogy was rushed. Disney made a mistake by announcing that we'd get a new Star Wars movie every year, likely trying to follow the same format as the MCU. Keep in mind, Disney only acquired Lucasfilm in October of 2012. And TFA began principal photography in April of 2014. That's actually a lot less time than it sounds (especially when you're trying to do the first entry of a trilogy, rather than a stand-alone movie). That's when principal photography began. Before that, there's months of casting every character, and scouting locations, having sets and props (including droids and creatures) built. And, before all of that, several drafts of a c. 138* page script needs to be written. And, before that, the idea for the film needs to be thought up and developed.

* one page per minute.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎